Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think you were the one making it moralistic and melodramatic? The story of the poor coal miners who simply want their jobs back has been debunked again and again, and only exists to be a moralistic and melodramatic explanation for Trumpism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't see how that possibly could have been debunked, given the characteristics of the areas that went from being Democratic or purple to being blood-red. But if there are studies that contradict it, I would love to see them, which I mean sincerely.

The melodramatic charge I will take in stride, I know I have a tendendy to get carried away in my prose.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 23, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

In other news, Haley has received 100% of the Republican primary vote in New Hampshire so far. That is to say, everyone in Dixville Notch voted for her.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68064703

quote:

Most voters in New Hampshire will cast their ballots during the day on Tuesday but in tiny Dixville Notch, a handful of people voted at midnight in a decades-old tradition. All six registered voters in the resort town chose Nikki Haley over Donald Trump.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Phlegmish posted:

In other news, Haley has received 100% of the Republican primary vote in New Hampshire so far. That is to say, everyone in Dixville Notch voted for her.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68064703

to steal a joke from Reddit, "Stop the Count!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Phlegmish posted:

I've seen statistics on this in the past, but I don't remember them by heart. If I had to guess, I would say that (white) Trump voters are slightly better off compared to the general electorate, but that they are worse off than the average white voter, which is possible due to race and income being correlated in the United States. As for education, I am almost certain that they are less educated on average, if not generally, then at least (again) compared to the white electorate. With level of education (negatively correlated) being a more reliable indicator than income when it comes to voting for Trump. Could be wrong, but that's what would make the most sense given existing voting patterns.

Let's not guess.

In 2016:

quote:

s compared with most Americans, Trump’s voters are better off. The median household income of a Trump voter so far in the primaries is about $72,000, based on estimates derived from exit polls and Census Bureau data. That’s lower than the $91,000 median for Kasich voters. But it’s well above the national median household income of about $56,000. It’s also higher than the median income for Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders supporters, which is around $61,000 for both.
. . .

Trump voters’ median income exceeded the overall statewide median in all 23 states, sometimes narrowly (as in New Hampshire or Missouri) but sometimes substantially. In Florida, for instance, the median household income for Trump voters was about $70,000, compared with $48,000 for the state as a whole. The differences are usually larger in states with substantial non-white populations, as black and Hispanic voters are overwhelmingly Democratic and tend to have lower incomes. In South Carolina, for example, the median Trump supporter had a household income of $72,000, while the median for Clinton supporters was $39,000.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-mythology-of-trumps-working-class-support/

quote:

Moreover, according to what is arguably the next-best measure of class, household income, Trump supporters didn’t look overwhelmingly “working class” during the primaries. To the contrary, many polls showed that Trump supporters were mostly affluent Republicans. For example, a March 2016 NBC survey that we analyzed showed that only a third of Trump supporters had household incomes at or below the national median of about $50,000. Another third made $50,000 to $100,000, and another third made $100,000 or more and that was true even when we limited the analysis to only non-Hispanic whites. If being working class means being in the bottom half of the income distribution, the vast majority of Trump supporters during the primaries were not working class.

But what about education? Many pundits noticed early on that Trump’s supporters were mostly people without college degrees. There were two problems with this line of reasoning, however. First, not having a college degree isn’t a guarantee that someone belongs in the working class (think Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg). And, second, although more than 70 percent of Trump supporters didn’t have college degrees, when we looked at the NBC polling data, we noticed something the pundits left out: during the primaries, about 70 percent of all Republicans didn’t have college degrees, close to the national average (71 percent according to the 2013 Census). Far from being a magnet for the less educated, Trump seemed to have about as many people without college degrees in his camp as we would expect any successful Republican candidate to have.

Trump voters weren’t majority working class in the general election, either.

What about the general election? A few weeks ago, the American National Election Study — the longest-running election survey in the United States — released its 2016 survey data. And it showed that in November 2016, the Trump coalition looked a lot like it did during the primaries.

Among people who said they voted for Trump in the general election, 35 percent had household incomes under $50,000 per year (the figure was also 35 percent among non-Hispanic whites), almost exactly the percentage in NBC’s March 2016 survey. Trump’s voters weren’t overwhelmingly poor. In the general election, like the primary, about two thirds of Trump supporters came from the better-off half of the economy.

But, again, what about education? Many analysts have argued that the partisan divide between more and less educated people is bigger than ever. During the general election, 69 percent of Trump voters in the election study didn’t have college degrees. Isn’t that evidence that the working class made up most of Trump’s base?

The truth is more complicated: many of the voters without college educations who supported Trump were relatively affluent. The graph below breaks down white non-Hispanic voters by income and education. Among people making under the median household income of $50,000, there was a 15 to 20 percentage-point difference in Trump support between those with a college degree and those without. But the same gap was present — and actually larger — among Americans making more than $50,000 and $100,000 annually.

To look at it another way, among white people without college degrees who voted for Trump, nearly 60 percent were in the top half of the income distribution. In fact, one in five white Trump voters without a college degree had a household income over $100,000.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/06/05/its-time-to-bust-the-myth-most-trump-voters-were-not-working-class/

Trump's base of support is not the "working class." His base of support is affluent, elderly white people. Boomers. When a Trump voter is "uneducated" they're "uneducated" because they're a boomer who had a whole career off of a high-school diploma.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 23, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If I'm summarizing correctly, reasonably wealthy in economic terms (although not as wealthy as supporters of other Republican candidates), not so much when it comes to cultural capital, much like Trump himself. That's about what I expected, them displaying a 'working class' sense of aesthetics and values, while not necessarily struggling financially, in fact even less than I thought.

I'm often reminded of that image of Trump proudly hosting a White House dinner consisting mostly of McDonald's.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

If I'm summarizing correctly, reasonably wealthy in economic terms (although not as wealthy as supporters of other Republican candidates), not so much when it comes to cultural capital, much like Trump himself. That's about what I expected, them displaying a 'working class' sense of aesthetics and values, while not necessarily struggling financially, in fact even less than I thought.

I'm often reminded of that image of Trump proudly hosting a White House dinner consisting mostly of McDonald's.

I only have anecdotes not statistics-

but my experience is that the put-upon blue collar Trump supporter exists. I have worked and lived with them. It's been more night stocking at the local grocery store than cool jobs like hard-bitten coal miner, but still.

The majority though, that's people living off retirement pensions in like Jersey or Harahan if they're pro-suburb, more like Hudson Yards if they prefer Trump-style rich, driving (MAGA-bumper-sticker-laden) trucks that cost more than most americans make in a year and blitzing past children who have to dodge out of the way. That's the real Trump base. The gently caress-you-got-mines not the coal mines.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Personally I think it's dangerous to assume any fascist chooses fascism because they are stupid. They know what they are doing. They might also be ignorant / stupid, but there isn't anyone out there who doesn't realize Trump is a huge racist. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. He's been open about it for decades now.

Yeah. I think a lot of them just retroactively justify what they really wanted. There are definitely a lot of dumb people who think "Rich person = good at economy" or "I like Democrats/Republicans, but since there is a Democratic/Republican President or Congress, then I have to vote for the other party to balance it out."

But, one of the people they interview in the Politico piece said he voted for Trump in 2016 because both of the party establishments hated him. Then, he said he voted for Trump in 2020 for the same reason. Now, he says that he doesn't care that the Republican establishment is all in on Trump now because they learned he was "good at the economy", so he can vote for Trump even though he isn't opposed by both parties anymore.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Anecdotal as well but I live in NYC, and by far the majority of the Trump supporters I run into are young Latino and African-American men. I have no doubts that the polling showing Biden weakening among younger folks and minority groups (especially men) is 100% real and going to hurt him a bit in November. Most of these guys probably won't vote though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

This is the great thing about statistics and big numbers as it can seem confusing. Trump got 12% of African-American voters in 2020, which sounds tiny, but also means he has over a million black people voting for him. Same thing with blue-collar workers, more supported Biden, but it wasn't a humongous difference among all income levels, so you're still talking tens of millions of people. They aren't going to be that hard to find.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Haley currently has an unprecedented 100-point margin over Trump in the early NH primary results.

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1749660885985976421

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
*Dave Wasserman voice* I've seen enough

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

This is surface-level analysis. The entire state of West Virginia did not wake up one day and decide to be horrible bigots just because.

Lee Atwater admitted that every "issue" the GOP campaigns on is thinly veiled racist code. That was in the early 80s. Do you think the GOP has become more or less fascist since then?

And yeah you're right, they didn't wake up "one day" and become racist. WV is a culmination of hundreds of years of absolutely dire racial hatred.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dixville Notch gave Haley a 100-point lead, but it is much closer on the Democratic side.

A three-way tie for 0. All 6 of the town's eligible voters decided to vote in the Republican primary and none in the Democratic primary.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Dixville Notch gave Haley a 100-point lead, but it is much closer on the Democratic side.

A three-way tie for 0. All 6 of the town's eligible voters decided to vote in the Republican primary and none in the Democratic primary.

Shameful Joe Biden is losing the Democratic Primary.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Phlegmish posted:

Fair point. I should have said 'worked well enough' in the sense that DeSantis wasn't immediately disavowed by his own party, which is what almost certainly would have happened in some other states.

I've seen people in this thread conclude from this that it is not a good electoral strategy to double down on the culture war, but I don't necessarily agree. This sudden focus on things like critical race theory in high schools might seem random, but is actually quite clever. It plays on the long-standing and not entirely unwarranted right-wing fear of leftist institutional domination, as well as white fears of displacement and the loss of ascendancy. There is also a legitimate discussion to be had about whether or not it is appropriate to teach this subject in high schools, even if the arguments are often made in bad faith. It's often pointed out with glee that many of the people who adamantly oppose CRT don't understand what it is, that they lack the educational background or even cognitive capacities to understand it, and this is true, but the same obviously also holds true for the average high school student. In the past decade and a half, we've seen an endless stream of people on places like tumblr, X, YouTube, and TikTok using and abusing popularized academic concepts that they barely grasp even on a surface level, let alone the complexities and nuances involved in their original formulation. In a way that's indicative of the way popular culture has shifted in a certain direction, but it also has a tendency to backfire spectacularly.

So the Republican culture warriors have focused on a very specific strain of sociology that has built-in controversy even among parts of the left, pretended it was something that Democrats uniformly wanted to impose on the curriculum, and then proceeded to attack their own strawman. It's not a bad strategy at all. It puts Democrats in the position of having to either deny that they support CRT, which puts them at odds with the more identity-focused parts of their own base, or defend it, which can be electoral poison in competitive districts in certain parts of the country.

The problem with DeSantis is that he took it one step further, with the book bans and Don't Say Gay and such. Not only should children be shielded from certain topics even if they are presented neutrally and factually, people are not even allowed to voluntarily seek out information on specific subjects, as determined by the government. Doing this immediately undermines the previously established rational-thinking, freedom-loving underdog narrative, for obvious reasons. Suddenly it's your own side that is censoring and banning opposing viewpoints. It creates a massive amount of cognitive dissonance in certain Republican voters, and repels enough of them that it turns from a winning into a losing strategy.

I think it also kinda depends on what kind of cultural progressivism you have encountered. If all you encounter of progressives is terminally online kids or people who get paid to come to your work and badly explain how privilege works while your not getting paid to listen or some out of context fox rant about some weird term paper or class some college did, then yeah I can see why it works. Anti social progressives stuff works best when vague Or using the most dumb weirdos as examples. The problem with the right is they have declared basic societal poo poo woke now because reality goes against their bullshit. The book bans and targeting kids hurts them because it’s too blatantly insane. It’s one thing to want to get mad at poorly taught progressive ideals and history. The chuds hosed up by going full mask off.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Let's not guess.

In 2016:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-mythology-of-trumps-working-class-support/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/06/05/its-time-to-bust-the-myth-most-trump-voters-were-not-working-class/

Trump's base of support is not the "working class." His base of support is affluent, elderly white people. Boomers. When a Trump voter is "uneducated" they're "uneducated" because they're a boomer who had a whole career off of a high-school diploma.

Trump is Boomer Dominated Culture's last gasp before they shed their mortal coil.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Just for clarification: Trump's base is pretty much the same as the generic Republican base.

He does have a slightly different coalition, though. He does disproportionately well with white voters without degrees and disproportionately worse with white voters with degrees than a generic Republican.

Sometimes, people talking about his "base" mean the groups that he does disproportionately well with and not the group that supplies the majority of the votes.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Phlegmish posted:

I've seen people in this thread conclude from this that it is not a good electoral strategy to double down on the culture war, but I don't necessarily agree. This sudden focus on things like critical race theory in high schools might seem random, but is actually quite clever. It plays on the long-standing and not entirely unwarranted right-wing fear of leftist institutional domination, as well as white fears of displacement and the loss of ascendancy. There is also a legitimate discussion to be had about whether or not it is appropriate to teach this subject in high schools, even if the arguments are often made in bad faith. It's often pointed out with glee that many of the people who adamantly oppose CRT don't understand what it is, that they lack the educational background or even cognitive capacities to understand it, and this is true, but the same obviously also holds true for the average high school student. In the past decade and a half, we've seen an endless stream of people on places like tumblr, X, YouTube, and TikTok using and abusing popularized academic concepts that they barely grasp even on a surface level, let alone the complexities and nuances involved in their original formulation. In a way that's indicative of the way popular culture has shifted in a certain direction, but it also has a tendency to backfire spectacularly.
I'm not American, but my understanding is that critical race theory is literally not taught in high schools, it's an academic framework of analysis used academically in law and sociology. In the context of conservative criticism the name is basically just used as a scarier substitute for "woke" and is about as well defined. Basically, don't mention slavery or racism.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

kissekatt posted:

I'm not American, but my understanding is that critical race theory is literally not taught in high schools, it's an academic framework of analysis used academically in law and sociology. In the context of conservative criticism the name is basically just used as a scarier substitute for "woke" and is about as well defined. Basically, don't mention slavery or racism.

This is correct

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean the guy who brought CRT into the larger public "discourse" did so by going on Fox News and whining about it being the cause of all our ills. He then immediately went to Twitter and openly admitted that CRT is a meaningless cipher that conservatives (fascists) can use to stand for whatever boogeyman they want.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Eason the Fifth posted:

*Dave Wasserman voice* I've seen enough

nowhere else do i get to laugh about politics

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah. the primary is over, its just the question of "does haley do well enough to keep up the charade/horse race/excuse to keep running" Or "does she get crushed by king dumbass and bend the knee by the 31st". I am weirdly still surprised desantis didnt keep loving that chicken and stay in until florida.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

ron did that thing where you go out trying to ignite fervor for your brand but instead it turns out that 90% of your brand is it not being widely enough known what you're actually like and once you get your brand out there everyone's like "oh, well, definitely not THIS guy"

it was a terrible showing even by the standards set by perennial candidates

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Staluigi posted:

ron did that thing where you go out trying to ignite fervor for your brand but instead it turns out that 90% of your brand is it not being widely enough known what you're actually like and once you get your brand out there everyone's like "oh, well, definitely not THIS guy"

it was a terrible showing even by the standards set by perennial candidates

As an european i am shocked how artificial a politician can be (from few video clips i saw). It really borders on satire. He got that HELLO FELLOW HUMANS, I AM ALSO HUMAN - vibe

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 23, 2024

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. the primary is over, its just the question of "does haley do well enough to keep up the charade/horse race/excuse to keep running" Or "does she get crushed by king dumbass and bend the knee by the 31st". I am weirdly still surprised desantis didnt keep loving that chicken and stay in until florida.

If she gets 40% or over she is going to keep running. She'll get some money behind her and set herself up for 2028.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

If she gets 40% or over she is going to keep running. She'll get some money behind her and set herself up for 2028.

yeah. I actually think she does pretty well tonight, maybe pulls a win. NH is kinda the "moderate" GOP state and i think alot of them loving hate trump and even if some bend the knee after, want to blacken an eye before hand.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think the threshold for Haley staying in the race will be whether or not the networks immediately call NH for Trump the moment the polls close.

(I think they will.)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Whether she stays in or not is almost completely up to whether her billionaire(I think she's a Koch project) wants her to keep going, polling and placement be damned. Ron is out because his puppeteers are all of the "Sure would like a competent Trump" variety, and they don't think it's worth it to keep trying to get their Big Mick to take off when they've already got a Big Mac on their plate. Since Haley is the Renfield of the "Never" Trump billionaires, she's free to keep going as long as they want to make a point. Or, like a baby eating a lemon for the first time, she discovers shame.

Citizens United has all but killed the idea of a large base of donors determining whether or not to support the candidate based on their performance. At least on the Republican side. Kind of ironic that Trump is basically the last gasp of the old way.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 23, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gyges posted:

Whether she stays in or not is almost completely up to whether her billionaire(I think she's a Koch project) wants her to keep going, polling and placement be damned. Ron is out because his puppeteers are all of the "Sure would like a competent Trump" variety, and they don't think it's worth it to keep trying to get their Big Mick to take off when they've already got a Big Mac on their plate. Since Haley is the Renfield of the "Never" Trump billionaires, she's free to keep going as long as they want to make a point. Or, like a baby eating a lemon for the first time, she discovers shame.

I think the issue is SC is next up and her home state. she will get blown out in it. staying into or past getting blown out in your home state, doesnt help you. like obviously she is just a money sink of a wing and prayer for the non trump types but yeah.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

“wapo” posted:

MANCHESTER, N.H. — Mark Harris, the lead strategist for the pro-Haley super PAC SFA Fund Inc., emphasized on Tuesday afternoon that Nikki Haley will not be dropping out after New Hampshire — even if she loses to Donald Trump here by double digits.

“I think turnout is trending in the direction we need it to be, so we’re optimistic about tonight. But regardless we’re on to South Carolina tomorrow morning,” he told reporters at the expo center.
“We’re at the very beginning of this process. We’re built for a long-term fight. The campaign is built for a long-term fight, and that’s exactly what we’re going to do,” he added.

Harris said confidently that the results on Tuesday night will not be a blowout and that SFA is prepared to “spend what is required” to help Haley in her home state of South Carolina.

Especially now that Desantis is out she holds on as long as someone funds because she is now the “what if Trump had a stroke much like an old person that eats mostly fast food and burnt steak might” candidate. I’m increasingly dim that courts will hold Trump accountable so that is pretty much her only play.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 23, 2024

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
According to the exit polls NBCnews is using, ~45% of the people who have voted today are independents, vs. 47% R, vs. 8% R.

New Hampshire allows you to be unenrolled and just say "I'm voting in the Republican Primary" to get a ballot, so this is by party registration.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. I actually think she does pretty well tonight, maybe pulls a win. NH is kinda the "moderate" GOP state and i think alot of them loving hate trump and even if some bend the knee after, want to blacken an eye before hand.

If she gets within 5 of Trump the media is going to give some fawning praise about her and create some real momentum.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So some polls close at 7 PM and some at 8 PM so they probably won’t make an actual call until 8.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Dave ain't scared

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1749950152381493252?s=20

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Not all of Trump's supporters are motivated by racism.

Lots of them support him because of his and their sexism.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

whydirt posted:

Not all of Trump's supporters are motivated by racism.

Lots of them support him because of his and their sexism.

Anecdotally I have found he also dominates among flat earthers. Is it because of their radical skepticism? Their willingness to pore over endlessly detailed evidence? Or some other personal characteristic they all have in common? Who can say.

Edit - (I actually think it’s two common characteristics: some of them are aggressively stupid and some of them are wannabe grifters)

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 24, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Artificial Kid posted:

Anecdotally I have found he also dominates among flat earthers. Is it because of their radical skepticism? Their willingness to pore over endlessly detailed evidence? Or some other personal characteristic they all have in common? Who can say.

Edit - (I actually think it’s two common characteristics: some of them are aggressively stupid and some of them are wannabe grifters)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44&t

dan olsen did a video on it.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It’s a great video and you should watch it.

If you want the twist and why it’s relevant: it turns out that there’s a huge overlap between Flat Earthers and Evangelical Christians, because at heart it’s all about having absolute faith in a premise no one else believes; and having a Secret Truth you share with a community of believers. And Evangelicals are of course Trump’s most fervent voting group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Haley needs to stop mentioning Kamla Harris, no one cares.