Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The FTC has banned TurboTax from advertising that it provides free tax filing unless they make their entire program 100% free to all users.

They also have to provide in clear terms what qualifies for a free filing before customers even start the filing process.

The FTC alleges that about half of the people who use TurboTax don't actually qualify for free filing, but aren't made aware until the very end of the process and they are likely to just pay the fee rather than redo everything.

Additionally, TurboTax must stop using advertising that claims or implies that filers will get tax credits using their software that they may not get elsewhere.

quote:

FTC bans TurboTax from advertising ‘free’ services, calls it deceptive

The Federal Trade Commission ruled in a final order and opinion Monday that TurboTax, the popular tax filing software, engaged in deceptive advertising and banned the company from advertising its services for free unless it is free for all customers.

By running ads for “free” tax services that many customers were not qualified for, the tax filing software violated the FTC Act and deceived consumers, the agency said.

The FTC had first sued Intuit, TurboTax’s owner, for its deceptive advertising in 2022. The FTC staff alleged most tax filers couldn’t use the company’s “free” services — “such as those who get a 1099 form for work in the gig economy, or those who earn farm income.” TurboTax advertising their products as free misled those customers, according to the FTC.

The FTC Administrative Law Judge D. Michael Chappell announced the initial decision in September, which the commission upheld Monday. Intuit had appealed to the FTC as part of the process.

In a statement Monday, Intuit said it has appealed “this deeply flawed decision” to federal circuit court outside of the FTC.

“Absolutely no one should be surprised that FTC Commissioners — employees of the FTC — ruled in favor of the FTC as they have done in every appeal for the last two decades. This decision is the result of a biased and broken system where the Commission serves as accuser, judge, jury, and then appellate judge all in the same case,” an an Intuit spokesperson said.

Intuit cannot advertise or market any goods or services as free unless it’s free for all customers, the FTC ordered.

It could also clearly disclose the percentage of customers that actually do qualify for the free service, somewhere close to the “free” claim advertised, the commission said. The FTC added if the service isn’t actually free for the majority of consumers, TurboTax could state that as well.

The FTC ordered Intuit to “disclose clearly and conspicuously all the terms, conditions, and obligations that are required in order to obtain the ‘free’ good or service.”

“The order also prohibits Intuit from misrepresenting any material facts about its products or services such as the price, refund policies or consumers’ ability to claim a tax credit or deduction or to file their taxes online accurately without using TurboTax’s paid service,” the release from the FTC said.

Last May, roughly 4.4 million people were to receive checks from TurboTax, following a 50-state settlement with parent company Intuit for allegedly steering millions of low-income Americans away from free tax-filing services.

The investigation opened after a 2019 ProPublica report that accused the company of steering eligible clients away from federally supported tax filing products by making them difficult to find in web searches — instead directing them toward the paid version of the company’s filing services.

Most customers will get about $30, with some customers that used TurboTax for three consecutive years getting up to $85. A website has also been set up for more information.

“TurboTax’s predatory and deceptive marketing cheated millions of low-income Americans who were trying to fulfill their legal duties to file their taxes,” said New York Attorney General Letitia James in a May 4, 2023, press release. “Today we are righting that wrong and putting money back into the pockets of hardworking taxpayers who should have never paid to file their taxes.”

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/22/business/ftc-turbotax-free-services/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Trump apparently not appreciating Tim Scott's recent engagement to his secret girlfriend.

https://twitter.com/KateSullivanDC/status/1749621087564915153

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Execution is morally wrong because it's loving wrong, but they aren't lying when they say this modern gas chamber works.

That it hypothetically could work does not mean it would work when they do it, because the problem is not and has never been the process mechanics but rather the sort of people doing it and the mismatched incentives for how it should be done.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

Some smaller-scale good law-news that I don't think got any attention:

What exactly happened here, procedurally? They asked everyone in voir dire whether they could fairly consider the question of whether someone illegally fed the homeless and every last one said no?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 23, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

What exactly happened here, procedurally? They asked everyone in voir dire whether they could fairly consider the question of whether someone illegally fed the homeless and every last one said no?

Not all of them, but a large chunk of them said they wouldn't levy the fine regardless and several more people said they couldn't stay late for a trial because of family/medical/work issues, so they didn't have enough people to move forward.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump apparently not appreciating Tim Scott's recent engagement to his secret girlfriend.

https://twitter.com/KateSullivanDC/status/1749621087564915153

Trump doesn't want to restart the Apprentice, he wants to host his own version of The Bachelor.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Honestly one of the underrated traits that a politician must have is the ability to just eat an unbelievable amount of poo poo. Just whatever they are serving up, you are taking it. Tim Scott bends the knee to Trump enthusiastically and Trump's still implying that he's gay. He's not going to come out tomorrow and say, "Trump shouldn't have said that about me" he's either going to ignore the questions or dodge them, while massively talking up a man who hates and belittles him. Ted Cruz can eat more poo poo than any politician alive and that's why we can't get rid of him.

https://twitter.com/RonDeSantis/status/1749600095413145890

This is baffling to me, now you're bucking Trump after it no longer matters?

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 23, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's easy to send a tweet when he's feeling sad, but he'll do whatever he's told

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The FTC has banned TurboTax from advertising that it provides free tax filing unless they make their entire program 100% free to all users.

They also have to provide in clear terms what qualifies for a free filing before customers even start the filing process.

The FTC alleges that about half of the people who use TurboTax don't actually qualify for free filing, but aren't made aware until the very end of the process and they are likely to just pay the fee rather than redo everything.

Additionally, TurboTax must stop using advertising that claims or implies that filers will get tax credits using their software that they may not get elsewhere.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/22/business/ftc-turbotax-free-services/index.html

TurboTax tried to get me to file paying them $90, the free filing button I think is only at the beginning of the filing process, at any other point they want you to pay at minimum $30 if you get lost and miss the free option. I'm sure somebody has broken down how they screw people with the design of the site itself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The IRS is about to launch its own free file service too, these are dark days for Turbo Tax

https://twitter.com/SecYellen/status/1748434625385349223

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

The IRS is about to launch its own free file service too, these are dark days for Turbo Tax

https://twitter.com/SecYellen/status/1748434625385349223

The new free filing service is just a pilot program for a few states in 2024. The IRA provided them funding for it and required that they create one, but they still have to present the study and performance to congress to get it approved.

The IRS has had a free file program for a long time, but this specific pilot program is one that also files your state taxes and isn't restricted by income.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I am a high school social science teacher. Reading about the undecided and low info voters reminds me of the responses I get from students. I do realize these kids mostly are just parroting what they hear at home and school is the place to better understand the issues in our government. That’s what my job is for.

But drat do I get some responses that are really out there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The new free filing service is just a pilot program for a few states in 2024. The IRA provided them funding for it and required that they create one, but they still have to present the study and performance to congress to get it approved.

The IRS has had a free file program for a long time, but this specific pilot program is one that also files your state taxes and isn't restricted by income.

When I go to irs.gov and follow their free file links, it takes me to a page full of vendors?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Bring on the free filing. I have just about the simplest taxes you can't do on a 1040EZ. There's nothing I have to account for that isn't on an official document. The amount I have to pay to file with a service is still worth it for my time and convenience but only barely.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's absolutely no reason for the tax prep market to exist. The government could easily do the vast majority of people's taxes for them, or provide the same service as private vendors but without the bullshit. It's a fake industry that sustains itself purely through lobbying.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

zoux posted:

When I go to irs.gov and follow their free file links, it takes me to a page full of vendors?

That’s their existing program, which is just outside companies that have agreed to provide a free version of their service. All of them are better described as “free-ish,” since you have to meet certain income requirements and sending in your state return usually costs money. This pilot program is for a tool developed specifically for the IRS.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Halloween Jack posted:

There's absolutely no reason for the tax prep market to exist. The government could easily do the vast majority of people's taxes for them, or provide the same service as private vendors but without the bullshit. It's a fake industry that sustains itself purely through lobbying.

Shoving an inexplicable profit-seeking step into a necessary part of society is kind of America's thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Baronash posted:

That’s their existing program, which is just outside companies that have agreed to provide a free version of their service. All of them are better described as “free-ish,” since you have to meet certain income requirements and sending in your state return usually costs money. This pilot program is for a tool developed specifically for the IRS.

Yeah that's what I thought, Leon made it sound like that already existed at a smaller scale.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Shoving an inexplicable profit-seeking step into a necessary part of society is kind of America's thing.

My exact thoughts dealing with buying a house.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Ms Adequate posted:

A policy that alienates some people is a bad thing, but dismissing them with an airy 'they'll come home, they know what side their bread is buttered' is probably a much bigger problem in terms of votes. If Biden did all the same things but made a big show of (however false) sympathy with Palestinians and acknowledged their hurt properly, and tried to be like "We're working to end this conflict and bring lasting peace to the region, but Hamas has to be wiped out first" there would be plenty wrong with it and a lot of people would turn their backs, but a lot more are going to be unwilling to hold their noses when he's being callous and arrogant. Even at the best of times people get extremely mad when politicians act like they're entitled to their votes.

Yeah the entitlement Biden seemingly has towards their votes is going to ruffle some feathers. There’s only so much “the other person is worse” that people can realistically take.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

theCalamity posted:

Yeah the entitlement Biden seemingly has towards their votes is going to ruffle some feathers. There’s only so much “the other person is worse” that people can realistically take.
It’s especially gross when the people in Michigan who are saying this have in many cases lost family members in the war

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I'm honestly shocked I haven't seen a scary commercial decrying this pilot program from PAC backed by a cabal of lovely tax prep companies.

"Do you trust the government with your taxes? The IRS wants to eliminate your freedom to choose how to file your taxes and force you to use their own tax filing program. Call your moron congressmen and say NO to government take over of your taxes."

paidofrbyamericansfortaxchoice

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s especially gross when the people in Michigan who are saying this have in many cases lost family members in the war

Don’t worry. Ignoring people in Michigan always goes just fine.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

Yeah, they have official partners that allow you to file with the IRS directly for free if you make less than ~$80k. It's called the "IRS Free File" program.

The difference between those and the new pilot program is that the pilot program has no income requirement and will also file your state taxes. This new one is called the "IRS Direct File" program.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The Direct File link is here:
https://www.irs.gov/about-irs/strategic-plan/direct-file

"In 2024, we're launching a new pilot tax filing service called Direct File. If you're eligible and choose to participate, file your 2023 federal tax return online, for free, directly with IRS.

It will be rolled out in phases and is expected to be more widely available in mid-March."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also note that the Direct File pilot program only passes your info on to help you file your state returns at the same time if you live in Arizona, California, Massachusetts and New York.

If you have an AGI under $79k and no special tax situations, then it is probably more convenient to just use Turbotax, Cash App, or one of the many other free versions unless you live in those states.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I don't have state taxes. Or uh, government services.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There is a detailed and active A/T thread on US income taxes here.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hopefully this is some first steps towards tax education in general, the average person I talk to has so much disinformation about taxes its insane. Like act like it's the most complicated thing in the world but none of them have any like itemized deductions or anything. My favorite part is the older ones dismissing my trying to explain to them as "you'll understand when you are older and make real money and see how much they take out", I'm loving forty

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The one good thing the Trump tax bill did was basically make it so that it doesn't make much sense to itemize your taxes unless you have a very special circumstance or are very wealthy by bumping up the standard deduction.

Of course, this was paired with bumping down the individual deduction just to make sure that poor people and people with several dependents don't accidentally get a tax break... but, on its own it was a good move. Now, something like 70% of people take the standard deduction which makes it much easier to do mass simpler tax prep directly from the IRS.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Halloween Jack posted:

The tax prep industry would ideally serve the same purpose as private health insurance does in a UHC country. If you, for whatever reason, have needs that are especially complicated, or believe that you can get someone to do a better job, or happen to be a casualty of some screwup, you can pay more and feel that you got relief

Private tax prep services for individual middle-class and below filers is absolutely something that should not exist

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

FlamingLiberal posted:

It wasn't directed at Biden, but there was that lady who lost over 60 of her family members since the start of the war and confronted Senator Warren about a ceasefire. I doubt saying that the other guy is worse would do anything to persuade people who experienced this war so viscerally. If it were me, I'd resent them for it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Not that I really wanna go to bat for fuckin Intuit but the TurboTax commercial they're spamming on football this year doesn't say it's blanket-free for everyone, but for 37% of taxpayers. I was able to file fed/state with them last week for free, but as usual they like to hide the ability to do so.

gently caress 'em though. Bring federal e-filing back. I'm in California and I wish I had waited a couple days so I could use the Fed one instead. Next year... I hope.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

theCalamity posted:

It wasn't directed at Biden, but there was that lady who lost over 60 of her family members since the start of the war and confronted Senator Warren about a ceasefire. I doubt saying that the other guy is worse would do anything to persuade people who experienced this war so viscerally. If it were me, I'd resent them for it.

Yeah, but I've got friends who are trans or have trans kids. I also know people who have family in Ukraine. Am I not allowed to get upset? Especially when their decision ultimately changes nothing for them but everything for others? Like, why does the resentment only work one way?

EDIT: Sorry if this is going into electoralism derail again. Just stressed.

Byzantine posted:

My 'favorite' political trend is watching the line for "they'll understand when they're older/drat youths being youths not understanding the Real World" creeping upwards from 25 in 2012 to 30 in 2016 to 35 in 2020 and now tapping 40. It's weird, like something happened in the 80s that put The American Dream out of reach and the boomers keep expecting a turn that never materializes.

I've heard that line my entire life as well.

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 23, 2024

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

My favorite part is the older ones dismissing my trying to explain to them as "you'll understand when you are older and make real money and see how much they take out", I'm loving forty

My 'favorite' political trend is watching the line for "they'll understand when they're older/drat youths being youths not understanding the Real World" creeping upwards from 25 in 2012 to 30 in 2016 to 35 in 2020 and now tapping 40. It's weird, like something happened in the 80s that put The American Dream out of reach and the boomers keep expecting a turn that never materializes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My employer and my healthcare provider are the same entity. I'm much more worried about being in perpetual medical debt to my boss than I am about taxes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1749449590619914557

Buddy, you should wake up everyday thanking God that you live in the one time in history where failing to overthrow a government didn't get you executed for treason.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Good PA poll released for Biden today, for whatever that's worth:

https://x.com/SusquehannaPR/status/1749803436911268065?s=20

I hope we start getting swing state polling more often, as that's ultimately what matters most.

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice

socialsecurity posted:

Hopefully this is some first steps towards tax education in general, the average person I talk to has so much disinformation about taxes its insane. Like act like it's the most complicated thing in the world but none of them have any like itemized deductions or anything. My favorite part is the older ones dismissing my trying to explain to them as "you'll understand when you are older and make real money and see how much they take out", I'm loving forty

I'm 42. My tax situation is a million times more complex than my parents ever were and they have literally no idea how taxes work, and they constantly warn me that I should be cautious of accepting raises because my take home might drop by fifty percent or more if I earn one dollar too much. "It happened to us multiple times when you were a kid! By the way you owe us for the past 25 years since we can't count you for free refund money anymore ever since you hit 18. We always used to get free money for having kids, I don't understand why it would change!"

Doesn't matter how much I try to explain taxes in *extremely* simple terms, I am a childe and don't know anything about taxes.

I also probably pay more in taxes in one year than they have paid in their entire life, if you count the massive non-refundable and refundable credits they got. They probably effectively paid $0 in federal taxes over their whole lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Byzantine posted:

Yeah it was like two, three whole decades of older folks mainstreaming that pissy attitude from their literal armchairs in the living room. Telling us over and over again "just you watch, they'll be gently caress You Got Mine just like us, when they become real adults (trademark, patent pending)"

ah but they dismantled the whole part where we can Get Ours, hmm