Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

ranbo das posted:

Amazon has been pretty much up and to the right (minus that business around 2001)
My point was that no one buys a growth stock wanting it to turn into a dividend stock. If you want a dividend you buy a dividend stock.

Growth companies are valued for their growth, not predictable returns.

E: I should have showed their small profits over most of their business life to illustrate the reinvestment approach the business took vs paying a dividend.

Big Ass On Fire fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

One level abstracted from that is something like Amazon. They've never issued a dividend and aren't likely to do so in the near future. They still make profit from selling stuff, but plow it back into new business areas of varying dubiousness/quality. The root stock buying argument is "Even though they aren't going to pay me anything right now, they will eventually run out of new areas to exploit and start paying a dividend (even if that's 30 years from now). I think that eventual dividend will be so big that it's still worth it to tie up my cash in shares without getting anything in the short term". Related to that argument is "I don't think Amazon will start paying dividends before I need this cash back. But they will get bigger/closer to that point in the meantime, so the value of a share will go up and I can sell it to someone else who is willing to keep waiting". There is a mechanism for owning stock to generate payments that doesn't require finding a bigger sucker.

This post answered a fundamental economics question I've been trying to get people -- including professional economists -- to explain to me for over 2 decades! Thank you!

Foxfire_ posted:

Bitcoin, on the other hand, has no actual economic activity. Outside of a handful of weirdos, nobody wants bitcoin for its own sake (can't pay taxes with it, can't buy anything with it). There's nothing driving bitcoin to be any particular price (compare to the General Mills case where 'how much cereal profit/dividend is there going to be each year?' drives the price). If you buy a bitcoin, you're just hoping that there will be greater fools you can unload it to for more. And those people are doing the same, there's no eventual point in the chain where it can stop with someone who wants to hold it for dividend payments generated by actual business profit.

This is how I figured all stocks worked in practice: dividends felt like a quaint throwback that nobody actually considered the point of the thing. I'm still convinced this is largely the case, but at least now I understand how people can not think this without being willfully ignorant.

Interviewing for a job at a company whose mission was "use computers to trade stocks so fast that we can predict bumps, buy the stock, ride it up for a few seconds, and then sell it again" may have influenced my viewpoint here.

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 23, 2024

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
individual stocks are very risky unless you are given them as an employee. Even then, it all depends on the strike price when you get them.

If you can, do your research and invest in good growth mutual funds. Just don't expect to make any kind of money right way, because all get rich quick poo poo is a scam.

e:I was given one thousand shares in my last career and I was able to cash them out because the strike price was lower when I was hired than when I was packaged out. A good company that gives a poo poo about it's employees also gives you a profit sharing bonus every year you are with them.

e:I was extraordinarily fortunate to have worked for a company that actually seemed to care about it's employees.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 23, 2024

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Amazon's strategy for a long time was to aggressively reinvest in themselves, prime memberships and video and music content and delivery, distribution centers, delivery services, own product lines, prescription services, etc. I'm not sure what they are targeting next but they have sunk their tentacles into a lot of industry. What juggernaut is even left? Education? Hospitals? Retirement living?
The latest push I’ve seen from Amazon in the last year or so is “we can be your prescription filling and delivery service”, so yeah I’d say healthcare.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Amazon is pushing Alexa in retirement homes and stuff so I’m sure them inching towards owning their own chain of retirement homes isn’t too big of a stretch

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Is there a thing that will force Amazon (for example) to start paying dividends at some point?

Like, I understand they want to reinvest profits to expand into <whatever> but even if they stop doing that, why would they suddenly start giving their stockholders money?

Is there a rule that forces a company to pay X% dividends under certain circumstances that I've never heard anyone mention when they were explaining how stocks work?

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

BrewingTea posted:

Is there a thing that will force Amazon (for example) to start paying dividends at some point?

Like, I understand they want to reinvest profits to expand into <whatever> but even if they stop doing that, why would they suddenly start giving their stockholders money?

Is there a rule that forces a company to pay X% dividends under certain circumstances that I've never heard anyone mention when they were explaining how stocks work?
People own stocks to make money. The way to make money is for the stock price to go up or for you to receive a dividend (or both). If a company doesn't grow, then the stock doesn't go up.

There's no rule or anything. It's - if you cannot grow but you make a predictable profit, you can return value to your shareholders by buying back shares from the public, which drive up the price, or by paying dividends.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Ok, but *why* would you buy back shares? It might make the price go up, but that doesn't make *you* money. In fact, it costs you money.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sure it makes you money. You (the company) own stock shares that have increased in price.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

BrewingTea posted:

Ok, but *why* would you buy back shares? It might make the price go up, but that doesn't make *you* money. In fact, it costs you money.
The company says "my stock is worth more than what it is trading for, currently $20. So I will buy it back at $20 per share, a bargain, and own more of myself."

They can turn around and sell it later at a higher price or just be a company which is a more valuable entity for mergers, acquisitions, eventual sale whatever.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

BrewingTea posted:

Theoretically, shareholders could replace the board with a dividend friendly one. I dont think this happens too often, but if a non-dividend paying company was unable to turn profits into growth, it would make sense for shareholders to vote to have profits paid out as dividends instead.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

BrewingTea posted:

Nominally the shareholders. As owners of the company they can vote to fire the board of directors and chief officers and replace them with people committed to offering a a satisfactory dividend or stock buyback program.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Big rear end On Fire posted:

The company says "my stock is worth more than what it is trading for, currently $20. So I will buy it back at $20 per share, a bargain, and own more of myself."

They can turn around and sell it later at a higher price or just be a company which is a more valuable entity for mergers, acquisitions, eventual sale whatever.

Also as mentioned the shareholders are the final word, so a policy of generous buybacks and price appreciation can be a strategy to keep them happy. Also chief officers have most of their compensation in stock, so it can help them too, outside of specific price incentives built into their compensation

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Sure, when the stock price goes up everybody is happy. Unless you're shorting the stock but that's an entirely different discussion.

Publicly traded companies have a duty to provide value to their shareholders period. If a company were to sit on profits and not grow, not provide dividends, the board would pass resolutions to change things which shareholders would vote on.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

BrewingTea posted:

Buybacks perform exactly the same economic function as dividends - return of cash to shareholders. For most of recent history, buybacks were strictly preferable for tax law reasons.

This inexplicably makes a lot of people mad, so now there's a 1% tax on buybacks that may shift some companies back towards issuing dividends instead.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Also buybacks is a one time payment for the company, and then they don't have to pay dividends on those shares anymore, which is a good deal if your dividends is a large fraction of the share price

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

more falafel please posted:

I don't know what the solution is but it certainly isn't "less baseball"
In the tortured last paragraph belaboured analogy baseball is capitalism.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

tango alpha delta posted:

individual stocks are very risky unless you are given them as an employee. Even then, it all depends on the strike price when you get them.

If you can, do your research and invest in good growth mutual funds. Just don't expect to make any kind of money right way, because all get rich quick poo poo is a scam.

e:I was given one thousand shares in my last career and I was able to cash them out because the strike price was lower when I was hired than when I was packaged out. A good company that gives a poo poo about it's employees also gives you a profit sharing bonus every year you are with them.

e:I was extraordinarily fortunate to have worked for a company that actually seemed to care about it's employees.
Individual stocks remain risky as an employee. Consider what happens if your company is caught Enroning and you are treating your ESP or options as a savings account. Oops, now you have no job and no savings.

ESP and options are all tax structuring bullshit if we're talking about why an employee may want to accept them in lieu of wages. Otherwise they are companies searching for extra bag holders. In this case the bag has something in it but you're still holding it with your pants down.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

zedprime posted:

Individual stocks remain risky as an employee. Consider what happens if your company is caught Enroning and you are treating your ESP or options as a savings account. Oops, now you have no job and no savings.

ESP and options are all tax structuring bullshit if we're talking about why an employee may want to accept them in lieu of wages. Otherwise they are companies searching for extra bag holders. In this case the bag has something in it but you're still holding it with your pants down.

Back when I used to work for a Big Tech company, most employees had a setup where RSUs were auto-sold upon vesting. There was two reasons for it:

1) As you said: Your salary and bonus are already tied to company performance. Doubling down on exposure is unwise.
2) Shares of a company you have insider info on are not very liquid. You only have a few windows (right after earning calls, generally) where you can trade them without worries.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The stock market is bullshit but it builds on a foundation that you can see how that can work.

Bitcoin fixes this by just being a scam

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

Interviewing for a job at a company whose mission was "use computers to trade stocks so fast that we can predict bumps, buy the stock, ride it up for a few seconds, and then sell it again" may have influenced my viewpoint here.

I just looked these guys up. They're gone now, but they ran for 26 years and made a profit for 25.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Dividends as a counterargument to crypto is a bit of a red herring. First of all, dividends get taken out of the share price, so getting paid a dividend vs. letting that money accrue via share price is not somehow superior and usually results in higher taxes. But you do own a piece of a company when you own shares.

As a thought experiment, if you own all the bitcoin, what do you have? If you own all of Amazon, what do you have?

On intrinsic value: the reason why bitcoin can collapse spectacularly is that there isn't really any value there. If everyone decides it's worth a fraction of a penny each, there isn't really anything holding up the idea that it's worth more, so selling at a penny is not necessarily irrational. But if everyone decides that Amazon is worth a fraction of a penny a share? Well, they won't and they can't because there's an actual business there with many valuable assets. You can just sell one of their office desks and turn a profit on your $1 Amazon acquisition.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cruft posted:

This post answered a fundamental economics question I've been trying to get people -- including professional economists -- to explain to me for over 2 decades! Thank you!

This is how I figured all stocks worked in practice: dividends felt like a quaint throwback that nobody actually considered the point of the thing. I'm still convinced this is largely the case, but at least now I understand how people can not think this without being willfully ignorant.

Here is the other, really fundamental, point to understanding how stocks are valued: stock buybacks are, functionally, equivalent to dividends. They do the exact same thing of returning corporate profits to investors. They just do it in a tax-advantaged way compared to dividends. This is true both if a company does intermittent stock buybacks, or if the company is acquired in full. There are lots of companies that "never paid dividends" - but a fair number of them have done stock buybacks. The others are in growth mode, as people mentioned - the idea being that each dollar they reinvest will earn you more than you taking that dollar as dividends.

Ultimately, stocks have a fundamental value based on the risk-weighted (the more variation, the more discount) present-valued (a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow) expected future cash flows, from dividends, buybacks, or sale of the entire company. Stocks change in value based on (a) people's changed views of how much money the company will generate in the future (being bullish or bearish on its prospects); (b) people's changed views of the risk (is the company going to generate consistent cash flow, or does it have a chance of being hugely valuable and/or go bust); and (c) how much more is a dollar worth today compared to a dollar tomorrow (as interest rates rise, a dollar today is worth more and thus future revenues become worth less).

Now, people's ability to actually figure out that fundamental value is another story, as well as "does a stock's price actually track its fundamental value" and that is a complex economic/psychological argument that is made considerably worse by that both groups are not very good at math and economists have a bad habit of making assumptions based on what makes the math easier, and doing empirical studies is tough.

Generally speaking crypto does not have a fundamental value. No goods or services are being created, that would generate a profit. The general argument for "value" is that they are commodities and they have value based on the value you can generate using them - for example you can generate pretty jewelry from gold, giving gold value. The problem, of course, is that crypto does not in fact generate value based on its use. So they are more akin to a speculative mania, which is a negative-sum game: no new dollars will ever be created, just reallocated among the participants minus the costs of the game based on who chose to enter and exit at various prices.

However you can create crypto that is intended to mimic stock well enough that it might have a fundamental value. For example, all of the "exchange tokens" that Celsius, Voyager, FTX et al created share a lot of features with equity securities (which is why the FTX debtors are seeking to zero out FTT claims as the same as claims for stock). The issue is then you've created an unregistered security, and investing in unregistered securities is usually an exceptionally good way to get scammed.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Foxfire_ posted:

[…]

Bitcoin, on the other hand, has no actual economic activity. Outside of a handful of weirdos, nobody wants bitcoin for its own sake (can't pay taxes with it, can't buy anything with it). There's nothing driving bitcoin to be any particular price (compare to the General Mills case where 'how much cereal profit/dividend is there going to be each year?' drives the price). If you buy a bitcoin, you're just hoping that there will be greater fools you can unload it to for more. And those people are doing the same, there's no eventual point in the chain where it can stop with someone who wants to hold it for dividend payments generated by actual business profit.

Bitcoin is actually worse than a worthless penny stock. Trading it actively destroys value because each transaction costs a ridiculous amount of energy to process. It’s like those Soviet companies producing things that were worth less than the raw materials going in.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Zopotantor posted:

worth less than the raw materials going in.

So... like a penny or a nickel?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bitcoin is a database time share. You may not want to own database rows on a temporary basis but it doesn't make it entirely an unthing.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Zopotantor posted:

Bitcoin is actually worse than a worthless penny stock. Trading it actively destroys value because each transaction costs a ridiculous amount of energy to process. It’s like those Soviet companies producing things that were worth less than the raw materials going in.

Actually, the transactions are free; bitcoin wastes that energy even if no transactions were to happen.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Thanks, everyone. I think I understand. I appreciate the explanations.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

cruft posted:

You thought that dividends didn't exist and yet it's the other people who are willfully ignorant?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Herman Merman posted:

You thought that dividends didn't exist and yet it's the other people who are willfully ignorant?

You got me! I don't know much about capitalism or economics or the stock market!

That's why I post in General Bullshit.

e: like, people have to get information in order to form their world views. Lacking information, either due to lack of time or interest or both, people tend to develop "folk models" of how things work, which is essentially formulating a model of what underlying processes create the effects they can observe.

There's a great paper about folk models of computer security wherein major model families are identified, and then evaluated against what behavior results, and whether that behavior informs practices that are resilient to the actual way things work. It was based on a prior paper about how people think about thermostats.

I have a folk model of investing that precludes me from trying to play the stock market myself: instead, I put money into index funds and, like, the "target retirement" thing offered by my 401(k). So far that seems to be working out for me pretty well! But it's interesting when I learn new details about what's generally held to be true. That post was me explaining an aspect of my folk model, as part of thanking the OP for explaining something I didn't know.

I didn't mean "I think [this class of people] are ignorant", I meant "this helps me understand how [this class of people] are making rational decisions".

cruft fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 24, 2024

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Number...go up

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
oh gently caress yeah

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuUGrtmjQfY

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

:perfect:

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Surely it should just be a vertical line

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The master returns.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

I’m convinced…lemme go find my debit card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?