Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

MarcusSA posted:

I tried watching any given Sunday today and Jesus I thought the movie was good but god drat it’s bad.

alright striking that off my pacino watchlist, moving right along to scent of a woman instead, hooah. or maybe serpico first. finally watched dog day afternoon which was obviously incredible, gonna keep working my way through all his great performances because i legitimately cant get enough of his dunkaccino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

say "hello" to my chocolate blend!

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

kalel posted:

lol that's so fuckin bad

I remember reading stupid culture journalists complaining about TD season 2 and saying they could redeem the show by linking it back to the 'mystery' of the first season.

And, yeah, maybe that'd be neat but also you could just make a good show instead that stands on its own.

But I also liked season 3 and I don't know what the consensus is on that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I tried watching any given Sunday today and Jesus I thought the movie was good but god drat it’s bad.

Watch it again next sunday and see how you feel

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
You should watch
Without A Paddle (2004)

An endearing tale of 3 friends, who after their other friend dies, go off to fulfill their childhood pact to find DB Cooper's loot and spend most of the movie fleeing from murderous rednecks, only to discover the real treasure is living life to the fullest.

You should not watch
Strange Wilderness (2008)

A crappy Happy Madison movie about an idiot and his stoner pals trying to find Bigfoot to save the tv show he took over from his dead father. The most bottomest of the bottom barrel grossout humor and just a terrible frustrating story the whole way through.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Justin long has eyes tattooed on his eyelids though and that's funny

Rip Ernest borgnine

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
2004 Dax Shepherd and Matthew Lillard look like twins lmao. Also Seth Green doing the dreamworks smirk, truly ahead of his time

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watched "The Duellists", Ridley Scott's big breakthrough film. Thought it was pretty meh,. It did deliver on the volume of duels you'd want, but didn't have a ton going on outside of that.

The best scene was very early when Carradine goes to collect Keitel to face the music with the military brass for dueling, and the mad fucker goads him into dueling him.

I also liked how it portrayed a growing rot in the French military as they slog from miserable campaign to miserable campaign, and the feeling around the two guys who keep dueling each other goes from "these are the dumbest two fuckers I've ever met in my life" to "Oh, no you guys have to duel. It's what you do, and it would be a lot of fun for the rest of us." Also every timeskip they've both risen through the ranks, the military must be full of dumb assholes if they let Keitel be a brigadier general.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know between The Duellists, Guy and Raynald in Kingdom of Heaven, the D-Day Invasion in Robin Hood, all of The Last Duel and Napoleon, I'm not sure that Ridley Scott particularly likes the French.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

You know between The Duellists, Guy and Raynald in Kingdom of Heaven, the D-Day Invasion in Robin Hood, all of The Last Duel and Napoleon, I'm not sure that Ridley Scott particularly likes the French.

Yeah, I'm not taking it as a history lesson or anything. :lol: Keitel's character is the biggest rear end in a top hat in the world and a hard-core Bonapartist

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
godzilla nominated for visual effects

Oscar Nominations 2024
Best Picture
American Fiction
Anatomy of a Fall
Barbie
The Holdovers
Killers of the Flower Moon
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
Poor Things
The Zone of Interest

Best Actor
Bradley Cooper, Maestro
Colman Domingo, Rustin
Paul Giamatti, The Holdovers
Cillian Murphy, Oppenheimer
Jeffrey Wright, American Fiction

Best Actress
Annette Bening, Nyad
Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon
Sandra Hüller, Anatomy of a Fall
Carey Mulligan, Maestro
Emma Stone, Poor Things

Best Supporting Actress
Emily Blunt, Oppenheimer
Danielle Brooks, The Color Purple
America Ferrera, Barbie
Jodie Foster, Nyad
Da’Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers”

Best Supporting Actor
Sterling K. Brown, American Fiction
Robert De Niro, Killers of the Flower Moon
Robert Downey Jr., Oppenheimer
Ryan Gosling, Barbie
Mark Ruffalo, Poor Things

Best Director
Justine Triet, Anatomy of a Fall
Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon
Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer
Yorgos Lanthimos, Poor Things
Jonathan Glazer, The Zone of Interest

Original Screenplay
Arthur Harari & Justine Triet, Anatomy of a Fall
David Hemingson, The Holdovers
Bradley Cooper & Josh Singer, Maestro
Samy Burch & Alex Mechanik, May December
Celine Song, Past Lives

Adapted Screenplay
Cord Jefferson, American Fiction
Noah Baumbach & Greta Gerwig, Barbie
Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer
Tony McNamara, Poor Things
Jonathan Glazer, The Zone of Interest

Animated Feature
The Boy and the Heron
Elemental
Nimona
Robot Dreams
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Documentary Feature
Bobi Wine: The People’s President
The Eternal Memory
Four Daughters
To Kill a Tiger
20 Days in Mariupol

International Feature
Io Capitano (Italy)
Perfect Days (Japan)
Society of the Snow (Spain)
The Teacher’s Lounge (Germany)
The Zone of Interest (United Kingdom)

Editing
Laurent Sénéchal, Anatomy of a Fall
Kevin Tent, The Holdovers
Thelma Schoonmaker, Killers of the Flower Moon
Jennifer Lame, Oppenheimer
Yorgos Mavropsaridis, Poor Things

Cinematography
Edward Lachman, El Conde
Rodrigo Prieto, Killers of the Flower Moon
Matthew Libatique, Maestro
Hoyte van Hoytema, Oppenheimer
Robbie Ryan, Poor Things

Original Score
Laura Karpman, American Fiction
John Williams, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Robbie Robertson, Killers of the Flower Moon
Ludwig Göransson, Oppenheimer
Jerskin Fendrix, Poor Things

Production Design
Barbie
Napoleon
Oppenheimer
Poor Things

Costume Design
Jacqueline Durran, Barbie
Jacqueline West, Killers of the Flower Moon
David Crossman & Janty Yates, Napoleon
Ellen Mirojnick, Oppenheimer
Holly Waddington, Poor Things

Visual Effects
The Creator
Godzilla Minus One
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning, Part One
Napoleon

Sound
The Creator
Maestro
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One
Oppenheimer
The Zone of Interest

Makeup and Hairstyling
Golda
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Society of the Snow

Original Song
“The Fire Inside” from Flamin’ Hot
“I’m Just Ken” from Barbie
“It Never Went Away” from American Symphony
“Wahzhazhe (A Song for My People” from Killers of the Flower Moon
“What Was I Made For?” from “Barbie

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Stink Billyums posted:

Oscar Nominations 2024
Best Picture
American Fiction
Anatomy of a Fall
Barbie
The Holdovers
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
Poor Things
The Zone of Interest

We haven't had this good a best picture list in literally 8 years

edit: actually there were a lot more stinkers in 2015 than I remembered. looking through the history of nominees, I don't think there's been a list this powerful since the loving 70s

kalel fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 23, 2024

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

priznat posted:

Fargo the series has stuck some weird poo poo in from time to time. It could be that dude is full of poo poo too, it’s never really demonstrated he has supernatural powers, just is a huge weirdo. Could be his backstory he has crafted in his head to explain why the rich and powerful use him for their own ends. He was great though, and I think out of all the Fargo seasons it has the most positive ending?

I mean... didn't season two have a UFO battle? Spellcasting immortal Welsh assassin is probably fine.

I ended up really liking season 5, and it's tied with season 3 for my favorite of the run. Message-wise, it felt like a kind season which, given the state of the world, was appreciated. Ending it with a bit of gosh golly "Loving and forgiving ourselves and others is the only way to cut the modern Gordian Knot of totalizing ugliness." worked really well for me.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

mysterious frankie posted:

I mean... didn't season two have a UFO battle?

Oh yeah… that whole thing. It just kind of happened and then went away, whereas Munch seems like a more central thing the story hinges on. Like, you can drop the UFO poo poo from S2 and it wouldn’t really matter, you can’t do that with Munch in S5, he matters a whole lot.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I have seen 50% of one movie on the best picture list

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

kalel posted:

he was a humongous (figuratively) rear end for the majority of his life for sure. take a look at any of his aughts era bbc reviews on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZMfe4qnoKU

I think this is funny personally but he comes off like an absolute knob

quoting hitchhiker's guide in a british accent automatically makes someone a knob imo

edit: also :lmao: at complaining about the opening scene being too dark for a family film and five minutes later saying "people should have walked out and gone next door to see Zodiac"

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

X JAKK posted:

You should watch
Without A Paddle (2004)

An endearing tale of 3 friends, who after their other friend dies, go off to fulfill their childhood pact to find DB Cooper's loot and spend most of the movie fleeing from murderous rednecks, only to discover the real treasure is living life to the fullest.

You should not watch
Strange Wilderness (2008)

A crappy Happy Madison movie about an idiot and his stoner pals trying to find Bigfoot to save the tv show he took over from his dead father. The most bottomest of the bottom barrel grossout humor and just a terrible frustrating story the whole way through.

Xjakk cmon man you got this backwards. Remember the shark laughing at the end of strange wilderness???

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

kalel posted:

if barbieheimer dont win a joint best picture award then all of that was for naught

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I will not stand for the May December snubs in the acting categories. What the gently caress is Nyad

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

edit: actually there were a lot more stinkers in 2015 than I remembered. looking through the history of nominees, I don't think there's been a list this powerful since the loving 70s

At least no Marvel poo poo this year

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

kalel posted:

It's a pretty solid list. Also, I'm super-irked that American Fiction is probably gonna lose to Oppenheimer in every single category where it is nominated. (RDJ is gonna get a "thanks for the great career and for making us all so much loving money" Oscar, even though Sterling K Brown really deserves it.)

Some people I know are also pretty upset that Gerwig didn't get a Best Director nomination. I'm just going to assume that they haven't seen many movies this year. Not that Glazer deserves his nomination (or that The Zone of Interest deserves any nominations at all), but even if that could be swapped out there are a ton of other movies that deserve a Best Director nomination before Gerwig deserves it for Barbie. (Todd Haynes for May December, Celine Song for Past Lives, Cord Jefferson for American Fiction, etc etc etc)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

Not that Glazer deserves his nomination (or that The Zone of Interest deserves any nominations at all),

could be phrasing but I'm interpreting this to mean you hated it? haven't seen it but the trailer makes it look really good

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

I have seen 50% of one movie on the best picture list

I have seen 0% of any of those movies.

I’m not entirely sure why I read this thread. (It’s for the Star Trek trivia)

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Like a third of the best pictures I have zero interest in, so not seeing it being a strong year really.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've seen most of them. Oppenheimer is the real deal.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I will never understand how someone can direct a movie that is considered as one of The Best Movies, but is not one of the Best Directors lol

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I will never understand how someone can direct a movie that is considered as one of The Best Movies, but is not one of the Best Directors lol

Evil Toons is one of the greatest movies, but not because of the direction.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByAn8DF8Ykk

I see that YA trailers haven't changed in 20+ years. Looks alright though.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The writing and acting is so amazing it overcomes the frequent breaking of the 180 degree rule

The entire movie is blocked and shot like a stage show, but it’s the sci-fi Les Mis

Movie is terrible but it’s a touching love story during the holocaust

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

The writing and acting is so amazing it overcomes the frequent breaking of the 180 degree rule

The entire movie is blocked and shot like a stage show, but it’s the sci-fi Les Mis

Movie is terrible but it’s a touching love story during the holocaust

I have no idea what movie you are talking about

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Tiptoes (2003) directed by Matthew Bright

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

WoodrowSkillson posted:

There are 10 Best Picture spots.

There are 5 Best Director spots.

(Also, auteur theory is bs and we don't have to act like the French and pretend that directors are the be-all, end-all in the creation of a film. It's an intensely and inherently collaborative artform.)

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Thanks Ridley

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

(Also, auteur theory is bs and we don't have to act like the French and pretend that directors are the be-all, end-all in the creation of a film. It's an intensely and inherently collaborative artform.)

Seems like a dumb system

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

I have seen 0% of any of those movies.

I’m not entirely sure why I read this thread. (It’s for the Star Trek trivia)

I don't know poo poo about movies or directing or whatever but everyone here hates media as much as I do so it's comfy

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

3 movies. (That don’t exist, but would get best picture noms but the director wouldn’t get a best dir. nomination )

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

LanceHunter posted:

alright well give someone nolan's spot because lol at him getting best director for that narrative mess

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Apparently Ant-Man 3 is the first MCU movie to be nominated for Razzies, and while I do kinda hate the Razzies I have to say it totally deserves it. Just a blatantly garbage movie that offered basically nothing to the audience but expected success regardless.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PostNouveau posted:

Watched "The Duellists", Ridley Scott's big breakthrough film. Thought it was pretty meh,. It did deliver on the volume of duels you'd want, but didn't have a ton going on outside of that.

The best scene was very early when Carradine goes to collect Keitel to face the music with the military brass for dueling, and the mad fucker goads him into dueling him.

I also liked how it portrayed a growing rot in the French military as they slog from miserable campaign to miserable campaign, and the feeling around the two guys who keep dueling each other goes from "these are the dumbest two fuckers I've ever met in my life" to "Oh, no you guys have to duel. It's what you do, and it would be a lot of fun for the rest of us." Also every timeskip they've both risen through the ranks, the military must be full of dumb assholes if they let Keitel be a brigadier general.

its a loving masterpiece and youre dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

3 movies. (That don’t exist, but would get best picture noms but the director wouldn’t get a best dir. nomination )

A gripping drama about overcoming adversity in Miramax and how Hollywood is totally blameless and really how could they know, but it's directed by Kevin Smith