Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

AMD Fanbois are back on the menu, boys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Paul MaudDib posted:

making broadly correct predictions about trends isn’t that hard, making iconoclastic ones like adaptive sync on nvidia, apple pivoting towards gaming, etc, are harder.

And there always is the the “lol super is going to to be a stealth price increase!” “Lol 4090 will be 900w!” factions. You have to evolve the sense to tune the AMD defense force out.

I am not kidding about being able to figure out 50% of the 70% that is bullshit. I’m sure there’s things I’ve missed in retrospect but keep yo minds open, because ive been pretty successful just from figuring out what mlids sources actually told him.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I simply choose not to watch anything from the guy whose predictions are 70% bullshit when the things he gets right are things everyone else in the tech industry predicts

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

gradenko_2000 posted:

MLID rules because he completely understands the media landscape that people are more excited about hot goss than strict factual accuracy, and he's savvy enough to hedge all his "predictions" against things that everyone else (who is more reliable) has already leaked, or to be broad enough that he can repeatedly claim to have been correct (and in fact has done several back-slapping videos where he revisits his old claims just to be able to do specifically this!)

So he is Alex Jones

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lol folks on Reddit have already gotten 4080 and 4070 ti Supers because shops have broken the street date but they can't use them because there's no driver support yet

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

change my name posted:

Lol folks on Reddit have already gotten 4080 and 4070 ti Supers because shops have broken the street date but they can't use them because there's no driver support yet
i had a feeling i didn't have to bother installing the latest geforce experience update, because they made it sound like they're literally going to have us download an update with each of the three super launches

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

change my name posted:

remember what they took from you

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Twibbit posted:

So he is Alex Jones

Nah, Alex Jones has never been right about anything, ever. He will outright lie and claim he was right, and provide heavily altered clips to suggest he was right, but he has always been wrong and will continued to be wrong. MLID at least has a 30% accuracy rating, which is vastly superior to Alex Jones.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
can't you just edit the device IDs in the driver to make it work? it's the same driver for the same arch anyway, just new device IDs

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

change my name posted:

Yeah, some of the Zotac 4080s were briefly available on Amazon last night, with full Add to Cart and Buy Now options.

repiv posted:

lmao, I was actually just thinking about the days when we got drivers with the cards

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Acer provided a usb stick with drivers for their Arc A770 BiFrost.

On that topic I’ve been using that GPU with a 5600X3D as my daily driver the last couple weeks and it’s been very stable. Warhammer Vermentide 2 crashed once but for newer stuff it’s worked as well as any other GPU I’ve owned. No performance issues or concerns which is surprising since I went into the purchase expecting headaches. I didn’t try it on “older” stuff except New Vegas and Sim City 4. NV ran great with no crashes (!) but Sim City 4 would only load to a black screen with audio, and that required task manager to shutdown. All in all it’s a capable card in its tier, especially for the $270 I paid.

I should also add that the Arc Control software worked okay. The software itself was stable and made OCing and fan control a breeze, but it seems to get stuck in a loop while searching for automatic driver updates. A notification will pop up saying the request timed out, but I turned off auto updates and it went away. Updating manually resulted in no issues.

Bloopsy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 22, 2024

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Bloopsy posted:

I didn’t try it on “older” stuff except New Vegas and Sim City 4. NV ran great with no crashes (!)

Given the general fame and enduring popularity of the Bethesda games of that era, NV especially, I wouldn't be surprised if the driver team paid special attention to the Oblivion-era Gamebryo titles and made sure the DX9 emulation layer in the drivers played nicely with those titles.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

repiv posted:

do you truly remember?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-remix-open-beta-half-life-2-rtx-trailer/

Not a bad birthday gift Nvidia

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Is the ASUS Dual the best of the 4070Super choices right now? Compared to the MSI Ventus and Zotac Twin Edge counterparts?

From what was said earlier, the three fan isn't really needed and the OC is mostly BS, so was just going to go with the best two fan card for reliability first and noise second.

take me you ANIMAL fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 23, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

take me you ANIMAL posted:

Is the ASUS Dual the best of the 4070Super choices right now? Compared to the MSI Ventus and Zotac Twin Edge counterparts?

From what was said earlier, the three fan isn't really needed and the OC is mostly BS, so was just going to go with the best two fan card for reliability first and noise second.

The Asus Dual is without a doubt the best dual-fan card.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Ok, ordered the ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 4070 SUPER OC Edition 12GB GDDR6X since the regular was out of stock, but whatever, spending an extra $10 on a $600 card seems trivial.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Just finished a build with the dual ASUS 4070 Super and was having a power issue, changing the cable config around solved it though.

Anyway in the course of trying to fix it I had a look at some ASUS FAQs and I'll have to start adopting their technical terms going forward

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the tl;dw of the 4070ti reviews is that it's alright, probably what it should always have been, and it's mostly the 16gb that look appealing, but 4070 and 4080 might be more interesting otherwise

the msi cards also have bios issues affecting performance, which is reflected in hwub's testing. they've reviewed the ventus models, but you generally want to get the gaming x tier

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

kliras posted:

the tl;dw of the 4070ti reviews is that it's alright, probably what it should always have been, and it's mostly the 16gb that look appealing, but 4070 and 4080 might be more interesting otherwise

the msi cards also have bios issues affecting performance, which is reflected in hwub's testing. they've reviewed the ventus models, but you generally want to get the gaming x tier

The Asus TUF model looks good enough that I'm not sure I'd consider any other card assuming it is actually $800 as is claimed. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the first or only model to sell out given the small performance bump. I expected a bit more given the specs, I guess the L2 cache staying the same size as the non-super is holding it back?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

I believe the ProArt 4070 ti is the smallest version of that model they make and assume that trend will continue with the 4070 ti Super (and maybe ProArt 4080 Super but who knows, I don't have insider information)

Update, I was incorrect about this, Asus has announced they're launching a ProArt 4080 Super and OC version in the next few weeks

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
if you’re thinking of a premium model like proart, you could also wait for msi’s expert version that they sites at ces

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

kliras posted:

if you’re thinking of a premium model like proart, you could also wait for msi’s expert version that they sites at ces

Woof, I bet that thing's going to be pricey as hell. I just pointed it out because I'm a lowly SFF case haver so I tend to keep a lookout for the smaller cards

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Any sign that there's going to be a similar mid-generation refresh for the 4090 or is the AI hype and China export ban issue sucking all the air out of the consumer space for those chips?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
There's a rumor of the 5090 late this year or early next year but I think the ship has sailed on a 4090 ti.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Elem7 posted:

Any sign that there's going to be a similar mid-generation refresh for the 4090 or is the AI hype and China export ban issue sucking all the air out of the consumer space for those chips?

There's very little room to give the 4090 any more. I think this is the final major iterations for the lines. Any other changes would probably just be lateral moves due to supply.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the limit for the chip is 144 SMs and the 4090 has 128 enabled, but in practice even the pro cards only have 142 enabled so you're not getting more than that

most optimistically they could do a 4090ti thats about 11% faster, which is maybe enough to justify a new SKU to get the whales to double-dip but not really worth waiting for

anyway there's been no hints that they're going to do that

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kliras posted:

HUB says in their testing, the TUF gaming model was only 1% faster on average than the Ventus model that had issues, but they seem to have the slowest results for the new GPU out of any reviewer. They say it's 6% faster than the 4070 Ti at 4K for instance while TPU says its 11% and Tom's Hardware says 10% (in line with Nvidia's claim of 10%). In any case, I guess it doesn't change the overall evaluation much. It's now more like what an $800 GPU should be, even if the value improvement over the last gen on performance alone is still fairly meager.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah I am a little disappointed in the Ti Super but maybe I was expecting too much.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Elem7 posted:

There was a "4090 Ti" or "Titan Ada" planned, and there are even some prototypes with comically large coolers floating around on ebay and the like, but it was cancelled. It seems very unlikely that it will ever see a launch.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 23, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

My likely-ignorant view on the 4080 Ti Super is that it’s less an immediate value improvement and more of a long-term improvement to the card’s longevity, given the bump from 12GB to 16GB.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

There was a "4090 Ti" or "Titan Ada" planned, and there are even some prototypes with comically large coolers floating around on ebay and the like, but it was cancelled. It seems very unlikely that it will ever see a launch.

i hope they dust off that wacky design for the next generation though just because it's so weird

the PCB is on the side of the card, parallel with the motherboard

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Cygni posted:

Speaking of large items, are FE cards still a thing? For the 30x0 series they were apparently a bit big (but also good)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

jaete posted:

Speaking of large items, are FE cards still a thing? For the 30x0 series they were apparently a bit big (but also good)

Yes, except for the 4070 ti Super. And the FE cards are often the smallest versions; my 3080 FE is like, a true two-slot card which is just wild

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kliras posted:

Just got home from work and had a quick look, tbh 4070 Ti Super seems pretty useless

Yes please I'd like to pay $200 over the 4070 Super for 12fps.

16gb is nice but uhhh

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Just got home from work and had a quick look, tbh 4070 Ti Super seems pretty useless

Yes please I'd like to pay $200 over the 4070 Super for 12fps.

16gb is nice but uhhh

Not that it makes a huge difference, but the HUB review used a card with a faulty bios, and their performance numbers are a few percent behind every other review's. The 4070 Ti Super is about 20% faster than the 4070 Super and has 33% more VRAM for 33% more money:

Cards losing some value as you go up the product stack is normal, and i dunno, the 4070 Ti Super seems fine.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 23, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Not that it makes a huge difference, but the HUB review used a card with a faulty bios, and their performance numbers are a few percent behind every other review's. The 4070 Ti Super is about 20% faster than the 4070 Super and has 25% more VRAM for 33% more money:

Cards losing some value as you go up the product stack is normal, and i dunno, the 4070 Ti Super seems fine.
Well testing a broken card will definitely skew the results a bit lol. It does make a significant difference - the Ti Super is only 11% faster in my chart.

E: wait never mind, it could be down to 1440p vs 4k? 11% faster for $200 is trash imo.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 23, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

In general it appears the 4070 Ti Super is about 20% faster at 4K, and about 10-11% faster at 2560x1440p, than the 4070 Super.

Which gets into a weird situation because I don’t think anyone would really consider the 4070 Super or prior 4070 to be a 4K gaming-targeted card, but the 4070 Ti had been in a weird spot where it could do it, but moreso I think with the likes of DLSS and the long-term concerns about RAM usage.

The 4070 Ti Super going to 16GB alleviates that RAM concern I would think, but at $800, it’s probably overpriced some for 1440p gaming, but if you want good 4K gaming, why not just jump the $200 to the 4080 Super now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I mean, yeah the ti super is fine, and the extra vram doesn't help in most situations but it does potentially give it more life. I was sorta hoping for more this late in the 4000 lifecycle but it's a B value card and I was hoping for an A-. The 4070 Super is surprisingly nice bump though.

I think I'll be telling my 2080S that it's gotta pull main duty for a little while longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

In general it appears the 4070 Ti Super is about 20% faster at 4K, and about 10-11% faster at 2560x1440p, than the 4070 Super.

Which gets into a weird situation because I don’t think anyone would really consider the 4070 Super or prior 4070 to be a 4K gaming-targeted card, but the 4070 Ti had been in a weird spot where it could do it, but moreso I think with the likes of DLSS and the long-term concerns about RAM usage.

The 4070 Ti Super going to 16GB alleviates that RAM concern I would think, but at $800, it’s probably overpriced some for 1440p gaming, but if you want good 4K gaming, why not just jump the $200 to the 4080 Super now.

Spoken like a true amd fanboy.