Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Mandalorian uses the helmet as a core theme throughout the show and is an important character trait that embodies the culture of his weird religious sect.

Also because it lets Pedro Pascal not come to set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Chairman Capone posted:

Also because it lets Pedro Pascal not come to set.

Haha. Yeah, the first two seasons seemed to be building to both Mando and Grogu realizing that they had to forge their own path and that their religious doctrine wasn't worth following to the extreme. Grogu completed this arc because CGI Luke was too expensive, and Mando regressed on this arc before Pedro Pascal is too expensive.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Death And Other Details

Is it just me or is it really really obvious that Patinkin is dirty af? I'm guessing that he's a bit of a fake out and that Rahul Khouli is probably actually the second lead here.

Also the show's just throwing a whole bunch of things in during quick cuts and not explaining them, right? Or did I miss what was going on with the split joker, the thing on the ceiling, Jere Burns being locked in a cupboard, etc. (please bear in mind that I am very tired)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 23, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1749824496171720854

Well at least they're saying Aang correctly

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Do we think the monster at 1:23 is meant to be Hei Bai because if so it loving sucks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Have they said how much it is supposed to cover? Because I don't trust Netflix to not drag this out.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

muscles like this! posted:

Have they said how much it is supposed to cover? Because I don't trust Netflix to not drag this out.

See, I was thinking the opposite in that they only have so much time until Aang looks grossly older.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have to say that visually it looks surprisingly ok despite also apparently trying to stay pretty true to the look of the original show

I'm more concerned about how the tone and acting will play out in a live action show, which you can't really tell from this trailer

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I guess I'm just like ... why?

The biggest thing that annoyed me about the Shyamalan movie wasn't the ridiculous effects or pronunciations or anything, it's just that it felt so much more fun as a cartoon. Live-action just saps that dry. See the supposed "comedy" moment with the riding-the-ball-of-air bit. Hardly seems any better than the way the movie did that sort of thing.

Is there some reason why some people are so invested in redoing what was already near-perfect, just "make it not a cartoon"?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Daniel Dae Kim is insanely jacked

Data Graham posted:

The biggest thing that annoyed me about the Shyamalan movie wasn't the ridiculous effects or pronunciations or anything, it's just that it felt so much more fun as a cartoon. Live-action just saps that dry. See the supposed "comedy" moment with the riding-the-ball-of-air bit. Hardly seems any better than the way the movie did that sort of thing.

Netflix must turn every cartoon into a live action

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Minx is killing it. Deep into the second season and it's funnier than ever. Just the right side of being not being too serious while still having great characterizations and plot beats.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Unrelated to nudity....or is it: S2 of the Halo show is going to be a soft reboot

There were some good things to take out of s1 (not very many, but some) but on the whole they just need to do the drat story from the games.

But everyone knows streaming execs and producers are way better at telling a story than...writers

mystes
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Is there some reason why some people are so invested in redoing what was already near-perfect, just "make it not a cartoon"?
The cartoon made money and redoing it as a live action show is a way to do the same thing over again, and what could be better than redoing the exact thing that was already successful?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Data Graham posted:

No, I think that's it, it's a safe bet to them. At least they've proved they might be able to do it. I enjoyed the One Piece adaptation they did. I didn't see the original, but it didn't seem like people that had hated it.

On the other hand, basically everyone except Sokka can bend, which sounds fantastically expensive and makes me think they'll tone it way down.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Data Graham posted:

People like adapting stories, always have always will.

On the bright side, live action doesn't inherently mean not cartoon. One Piece managed to be plenty cartoon with live action.

I would prefer more Roger rabbit cool world 2d-3d crossovers. Not sure Avatar is the IP for that though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ralph Bashki's Avatar the Last Airbender

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

mystes posted:

The cartoon made money and redoing it as a live action show is a way to do the same thing over again, and what could be better than redoing the exact thing that was already successful?

I think the question is more, "Why should viewers care?" And the answer is, to some people, live action feels more legit than animated. So when something animated gets a live action adaptation, it feels like we finally got "the real deal", the legit, big boy version. But I still think that's crap, because it barely ever works out that way. The live action version almost always feels more lifeless than the cartoon version.

I mean, I like the Nina Turtles movie from 1990, but other than that I struggle to think of how often it's worked out. (Speed Racer wasn't for me, not being a fan of the original cartoon, but I understand fans loved it.)

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
This is all the fault of Beauty and the Beast (2017) when you get right down to it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Wait, what's going on with True Detective?

Nick Pizza lightly ripping on the new season on instagram.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Didn't Netflix more or less force out the original creators of Avatar during the development of the live action?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Did not have 'WWE Raw becomes a Netflix Original' on my 2024 prediction sheet.

It even seems all PPVs will be on there outside the US?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

what even is cable tv anymore.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pentyne posted:

Didn't Netflix more or less force out the original creators of Avatar during the development of the live action?

The rumor going around a month or so ago was that they had creative differences because Netflix wanted it pretty much as close to the original as possible and that they wanted to shake some of it up so as not to full on repeat themselves. Which I understand both sides if that's the case. I'm sure the creators don't want to just redo everything they've already done and Netflix has had a number of flops where they've tried to adapt properties and have changed some part of the story at the core that the fans liked. It's clear they're dumping a ton of money on this so I'm sure they want it to not be money wasted.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

X-O posted:

The rumor going around a month or so ago was that they had creative differences because Netflix wanted it pretty much as close to the original as possible and that they wanted to shake some of it up so as not to full on repeat themselves. Which I understand both sides if that's the case. I'm sure the creators don't want to just redo everything they've already done and Netflix has had a number of flops where they've tried to adapt properties and have changed some part of the story at the core that the fans liked. It's clear they're dumping a ton of money on this so I'm sure they want it to not be money wasted.

That's wild to me.

Because yeah, if the Netflix version changed a bunch, people aren't going to say "Oh, neat. The creators wanted to something different with this version." they would have pitchforks and be pissed that "Netflix ruins everything!!!!"

No, I'm not still bitter about the Witcher. :mad:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mordiceius posted:

That's wild to me.

Because yeah, if the Netflix version changed a bunch, people aren't going to say "Oh, neat. The creators wanted to something different with this version." they would have pitchforks and be pissed that "Netflix ruins everything!!!!"

No, I'm not still bitter about the Witcher. :mad:

The thing about the original creators of Avatar is that you have to remember just because it was those two guys that created it, there were a lot of other people that shaped it into being the great show people remember. A lot of their original ideas never made it to the show or were changed. And a number of things people love about the show were ideas brought by their writing team as well as them. It was a collaborative effort. No one or two or even five people gave us that show, there was a bunch of people involved. If you ever get a chance track down the original show bible for the show. It's nowhere near as good as the show we got, though show bibles never are.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

X-O posted:

The thing about the original creators of Avatar is that you have to remember just because it was those two guys that created it, there were a lot of other people that shaped it into being the great show people remember. A lot of their original ideas never made it to the show or were changed. And a number of things people love about the show were ideas brought by their writing team as well as them. It was a collaborative effort. No one or two or even five people gave us that show, there was a bunch of people involved. If you ever get a chance track down the original show bible for the show. It's nowhere near as good as the show we got, though show bibles never are.

Yeah most shows have more people mixed in there than people realize and aren't the sole diviniations of like 2-3 people, aside from like Venture Brothers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

X-O posted:

Isn't this the exact opposite of the rumour that came out when they first split? IiRC the creators wanted something more authentic and Netflix wanted something more algorithm driven.

Given this happened back in 2020, so before Cowboy Bebop came out in 2021, I don't think this lines up.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 24, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People would have a loving meltdown if they changed a single thing from the cartoon. I generally liked the cowboy bebop live action and it seemed like the main complaint I saw was "this is different from the cartoon." Netflix isn't making that mistake again.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I thought the main complaint was that the writing, but especially the dialogue, was atrocious.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

People would have a loving meltdown if they changed a single thing from the cartoon. I generally liked the cowboy bebop live action and it seemed like the main complaint I saw was "this is different from the cartoon." Netflix isn't making that mistake again.

Yeah, exactly, the timeline doesn't line up.

2019: Witcher Season 1
2020: Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko leave production on Avatar after two years of development
2021: Cowboy Bebop

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 24, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Most of the complaints I heard about Bebop were that it was amateurish. Nobody seemed to mind that it was different from everything I read

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

For me, the Cowboy Bebop problems were more than just one thing.

- The tone was... off. It felt like the writers were trying to make the dialog snappy and sarcastic and edgy and it just felt... tryhard?

- I like John Cho but he's not a good Spike. I'm not someone who needs actors who are exactly the age of the characters, but Spike is in his late 20s. John Cho was in his late 40s in the role. He is four years older than Mustafa Shakir, who played Jet - compared to the anime where Jet is nearly 10 years older.

- The anime is very very tightly paced. So they decided to take 24 minute episodes and make them 50+ minutes long. That's a draaaaaaaaaaag.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
More like Cowboy Beflop, amirite?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
I bet you'll see a second attempt at a live action Bebop at some point

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They (somehow, against all reason and logic) got One Piece right, and that's what really matters :hai:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I’m still salty about Bebop because Jet’s actor was perfect. Faye’s actor was good but just had terrible material to work with. John Cho is a good actor but not right for Spike.

I'm also someone that thinks they nailed Ed too. The problem was that the tone was so off for the rest of the show that when you have a preview clip of Ed, who feels straight out of the anime, it only further clashes with how the show was presented.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Most of the complaints I heard about Bebop were that it was amateurish. Nobody seemed to mind that it was different from everything I read

Yeah that is a good word for it. Pretty much looked like some fan made film that was somehow made by someone who wasn’t actually a fan. I’m fairly sure the producer just asked for a 1 page summary from a friend and saw dollar signs. Felt sorry for all the actors, especially Ed. They got so much hate but nobody could have made that show good. There were a couple of chuckle worthy moments but yeah… overall just kind of there.

Good news is One Piece got it right. They obviously know the old show and go out of the way to keep the same vibe. No idea if this means Avatar will be good but One Piece makes me hopeful. I’m kinda with that one goon tho: I wish they’d just try new intellectual properties. I know, I know - money, risk and blah blah blah but Arcane was shockingly good. Blue eyed samurai was new to me and really good. I actually liked old flops like Jupiter Ascending, Mortal Engines and Valerian just because it was something different than remakes and prequels. I guess I just proved their point but still…

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Give me a live action Speed Grapher.

Or live action Monster.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Was Cowboy Bebop a one and done or was it supposed to continue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MarcusSA posted:

Was Cowboy Bebop a one and done or was it supposed to continue?

It had a teaser for continuing but was immediately cancelled after the Internet threw a poo poo fit.