Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Star Citizen innovated so that Palworld could imitate it #blessed

Man, a few years back croberts would be announcing pal world like features for SC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Not using the Unreal engine is easily one of the worst mistakes for loving almost ANY game dev. Unreal is like an industry standard—I joke but it’s hard to find a game NOT using it, if not parts of it.

For 20 years the iterations of the Unreal engine have been some of the most versatile and beautiful engines out there. Yeah, “can it play CryTek” has been a trope in PC gaming for over a decade but as cool and pretty as FarCry/CryTek have been, they aren’t exactly industry movers.

I am not a coder but the fact that Unreal can be/has been used by even the most amateur of game devs shows that from a production/training/labor pool outlook the choice is obvious.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 23, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Sardonik posted:

Was Star Citizen's decision to use Cryengine one of the worst in game development history?

depends on whether you believe the $750,000,000 or not really

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Cryengine was a great choice to get started. Afaik Chris got some Crytek people to make him a trailer and prototype, and probably for very cheap. The sane thing would have been to switch to a standard industry engine immediately after the successful kickstarter. Cite the expanded scope as reason, cut your tech debt early. Alas

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

dialhforhero posted:

Not using the Unreal engine is easily one of the worst mistakes for loving almost ANY game dev. Unreal is like an industry standard—I joke but it’s hard to find a game NOT using it, if not parts of it.

UE is big, and not using it might have been a huge own goal by CIG considering UE5 seems like the perfect fit for the fidelity obsessed crowd, but this is massive hyperbole and dramatically downplays the amount of games out there using Unity, Godot, Game Maker, RPG Maker, the various open sourced game engines (doom, quake, source) and the many AAA proprietary engines.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Worf posted:

depends on whether you believe the $750,000,000 or not really

They are failing all the way to the bank.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

oops, i did it again (made a million dollars)

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

phosdex posted:

They had some crytek crew jump ship, wonder where they are now.

I bet some of the older Crytek guys are still there. Where else would they have the job security that goes along with being the last remaining experts in an old engine that nobody uses, without the pressure of having to deliver a finished product?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

FishMcCool posted:

UE is big, and not using it might have been a huge own goal by CIG considering UE5 seems like the perfect fit for the fidelity obsessed crowd, but this is massive hyperbole and dramatically downplays the amount of games out there using Unity, Godot, Game Maker, RPG Maker, the various open sourced game engines (doom, quake, source) and the many AAA proprietary engines.

It is hyperbole yes, but I should have specified for 1st/3rd person shooters and adjacent platformers, etc. Outside of Unity, what type of games like StarCitizen use the other engines?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

dialhforhero posted:

It is hyperbole yes, but I should have specified for 1st/3rd person shooters and adjacent platformers, etc. Outside of Unity, what type of games like StarCitizen use the other engines?

>type of games like StarCitizen

Are there even any other games that fit this bill? Elite and the X series are the only things I can think of that come remotely close.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Beyond Good and Evil 2

No it doesn’t exist either.

Notice a pattern?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

dialhforhero posted:

Not sure what you mean by games like SC, but the closest thing is Elite Dangerous and it uses Frontier's COBRA engine. If you mean the earlier bit (1st/3rd person shooters and adjacent platformers), then you have the "new" Doom games, Prey, Deathloop, all the Call of Duty games, all From Software's catalogue, all Nintendo's 3d platformers including Splatoon for a 3rd person shooter, the God of War series, the Sony Spiderman games, the Monster Hunter games, all the GTA/Red Dead games, Apex Legends, Overwatch 1&2... UE is obviously very popular, but it's far from a monopoly.

That said, I do agree with you about it being a massive blunder in hindsight. It's not a given that Cry Engine will go anywhere, whereas UE's future looks rock solid and there are UE professionals and enthusiasts everywhere that CIG could hire were they using it. And the whole buzz about the dumb super high resolution textures from UE5, while completely unpractical for normal games and people who still kinda value their disk space would absolutely sell more JPGs to the commando demographic.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 23, 2024

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Trilobite posted:

That's actually true, though. CIG never sold land in Star Citizen, they sold land claim beacons that they said you would need in order to own land. Moreover, that was years ago and even today the game itself still has no land claim beacons in it, no ability to let players own land, nothing they could do with any land they might own, and no indication that any of that will ever change.

What CIG was selling was not land, it was an empty promise, which turns out to be the one thing that their backers can never resist throwing money away on.

Once the pipelines are finished each land claim will have more content than Stardew Valley

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Cry Engine was a good choice for the initial pitch of a focused Wing Commander-style space shooter. For 'Star Citizen'? Not so much.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://packaged-media.redd.it/fm7v...688ca3a6ab5#t=0

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I guess in my mind I was thinking combo FPS/3rd person action adventure game.

I am thinking games from Jedi: Fallen Order to Arkham series to I don’t know, similar games.

I just know that when I load up any random game in my Steam library I am amazed how often I see the Unreal logo—especially in games you wouldn’t expect that aren’t even shooters.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Would have been :kiss: if all three threads were by the same person.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I hate to say it but the crytek guys have almost certainly been deskeletonized by now

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Sardonik posted:

Was Star Citizen's decision to use Cryengine one of the worst in game development history? Like, good luck hiring developers and having to train them on your dead engine.

Though I'm sure if they had used Unreal or Unity it wouldn't have saved them of course because of bad management, but still.

No engine can save them.

20/20 not picking unreal engine was a silly move but in 2010 when they decided to pick cryengine, not really. Unreal engine back then cost a cool 1.5 million or so and unity was pretty much no name in the PC world.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

stingtwo posted:

No engine can save them.

20/20 not picking unreal engine was a silly move but in 2010 when they decided to pick cryengine, not really. Unreal engine back then cost a cool 1.5 million or so and unity was pretty much no name in the PC world.

And Unity would have been an even worse choice. It's not really known to run huge, detailed games. And in 2012 it was closer to "mobile games on PC" level.

The best choice would have been to develop your own engine to have total control over how that kind of space scale stuff is done, similar to Elite:Dangerous. But that would have been impossible with CIG management anyway. Every option would have lead to a mess.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Doom engine was already free in 2012!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

They could have got rpg maker from a humble bundle!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

phosdex posted:

They could have got rpg maker from a humble bundle!

New pet project for when I can be bothered (which basically means never): make a SC Simulator in a cheap/free outdated version of RPG Maker.

It will have hot dogs, an expo hall and a parping skill.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wait, how was it a "dire" year for SC funding? Didn't they hit a biggest year ever milestone again?

You can refer back to the latest released numbers. They are escalating their costs in lockstep with their funding, sometimes more.
Their surplus from the days of "we can complete the game with the funding we have" is now irrelevant in light of their massive increase in headcount over the years.

I'm not the numbers guy here but if funding were to disappear for whatever reason, they have far less than a year's worth of cash available at their current burn rate.

The amount that they continue to receive from rubes is shocking to me but they are still balancing on a knife edge to keep development going.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

FishMcCool posted:

New pet project for when I can be bothered (which basically means never): make a SC Simulator in a cheap/free outdated version of RPG Maker.

It will have hot dogs, an expo hall and a parping skill.

Use the Playstation 1 version.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

It's unfortunate but true, the majority pay attention to the jangling keys, we see it in everything from politics to gaming.

In the early years the dev team talked more about the wider grander game universe than specifics, now it's all patch watch, tech pillars and sales events - but there is an original idea behind all those events.

The festivals, the racing / sporting calendars, the in-lore marketing events like IAE and all the Galactic Gear lore that goes with it are a part of that game universe, you'll be able to see them on screens and attend them in person. There is a tendency to think of the little lore story videos as merely commercials to sell ships, but if that was the case why go to all the trouble? There's absolutely no indication that they would sell less ships if they had no video story to go with them., especially when that story tells you absolutely nothing about the ship anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPJA54sWAec

There's a huge amount of lore on this site and we know that the Galactapedia is going to be accessible in both Squadron 42 and Star Citizen. The politics, the history, the factions it's all planned. You read the lore and think it's just 'flavour text' for those who want to engage, but it's not. Empire Report will be a part of your daily experience in the game universe.

What we don't have is the means to access it all, that access comes through The Spectrum. You'll see it first in Squadron 42. You'll be able to access it on any MFD and your mobiGlas, they even plan for us to access it via real world mobile devices and web browser. You'll be spending a lot of time both in and out of the game watching, checking, uploading to and discussing The Spectrum. There will always be something happening somewhere from war to natural disaster, to boom and bust economy, tourism. They built the Reliant MAKO News Van with in-game camera and editing suite functionality to come (we saw them using it on the Galactic Gear videos), they have recently made videos showing characters making vlogs to The Spectrum. They have been steadily giving out hints about what the The Spectrum will be like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzw4fTnwV8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0PN1rd55TU

These aren't ship commercials, they are Spectrum content. She tells you.
Yes, it's a huge amount of work and the assumption is always that none of that work has been done - but actually a lot has. We've seen some of it but some people find it too hard to connect the dots, these are just samples.

So that takes care of the wider game universe, but what about the daily 'up in your face' experience with characters, history and factions etc. That comes with the Quantum simulation and the tools that feed into that simulation like Odin and Quasar. If you check the Roadmap you'll see they did work (the Tech Animation Team 15 months) on a tool to have streaming audio generate facial animation automatically, there's no need to make that for players we already have FOIP, and there wouldn't be any need for it if every NPC was mocapped.

It's up to the individual, you can either look at all the output and think, hey look at all those hints and clues, or you can just keep concentrating on todays impatience. It took time to make soft toys of the penguin and the whale, it took time (and hence money) to animate a human in a whale costume as a tour guide / space whale tour greeter. They didn't just put a story about the Hades system on the webpage, they made Hadesian artifacts to collect in the game.

You need full working persistence, you need the tech pillars all in place, you need the income a foundation provides to expand that game universe. They are doing it, step by step, they are getting there.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

i really want to engage with pisscat and call him out for his endless streams of bullshit

"Yes, it's a huge amount of work and the assumption is always that none of that work has been done - but actually a lot has. We've seen some of it but some people find it too hard to connect the dots, these are just samples."

oh ya? i think you're just assuming yourself that a lot of the work is done, getting sucked into the sales marketing engine that is at the heart of everything CIG does

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

You will lose that fight. Whatever novel length response he gives you won't really address what you say.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

i really want to engage with pisscat and call him out for his endless streams of bullshit

"Yes, it's a huge amount of work and the assumption is always that none of that work has been done - but actually a lot has. We've seen some of it but some people find it too hard to connect the dots, these are just samples."

oh ya? i think you're just assuming yourself that a lot of the work is done, getting sucked into the sales marketing engine that is at the heart of everything CIG does

I have a feeling that if you engaged him online he would just keep posting pages of nonsense to drown out your point. And if you met him IRL he'd be a meek nerd who went "yeah, sure..." and started moping.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I mean I already excel at making GBS threads up this thread why not take my powers over to pisscat ville

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Unless you want to stalk him on reddit, you have to buy a game package to post on Spectrum.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Blue On Blue posted:

Huffman went around calling BS on Derek Smarts nonsense for YEARS and it did absolutely nothing to shut Smart up or stop people from fawning over his latest claim.

You can fact check and call people out but in the end it's not about facts, some just people want to believe in BC3K or Star Citizen or Alex Jones and they just aren't going to hear the criticism.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Unless you want to stalk him on reddit, you have to buy a game package to post on Spectrum.

Good news! A package of $48,000 is only $334/month for 12 years

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Murgos posted:

You can fact check and call people out but in the end it's not about facts, some just people want to believe in BC3K or Star Citizen or Alex Jones and they just aren't going to hear the criticism.

Yup. Anyone else remember many years ago when one true believer responded to criticism of the glacial pace of Star Citizen development and yet another feature disappearing from the roadmap by stating that "CIG always delivers, eventually"? And just think, at that point they'd delivered even less than they have today, and if anything the pace of development has gotten even slower.

That's the mindset we're looking at. They have decided that Star Citizen will exist, therefore it will never matter that it doesn't actually exist. It's "always eventually" inside their heads, and I don't know that even Chris Roberts posting a video of him packing a suitcase full of cash while sweating and mumbling "see ya, suckers!" could make them give that up.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Well surely there progress tracker is all current and up to date and reflecting the efforts of a 3/4 billion dollar endevour, right?

Oh actually, nevermind

Also the last patch is still listed as tentative for Q4 2023, i have news for their planning guys....

They haven't bothered to update the thing since early December, and the tracker just shows absolutely nothing for the future

Everything is on track! They must have finished the game and are simply just tying up a few loose ends before releasing it: (said by a backer somewhere probably)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Blue On Blue posted:

Everything is on track! They must have finished the game and are simply just tying up a few loose ends before releasing it: (said by a backer somewhere probably)

That is literally the argument someone made to me when I got in a conversation about SC recently, yes, lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I mean they told us at CitCon that SQ42 is feature complete. What more proof do you need?

No you can't see it

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Blue On Blue posted:

Well surely there progress tracker is all current and up to date and reflecting the efforts of a 3/4 billion dollar endevour, right?

Oh actually, nevermind

Also the last patch is still listed as tentative for Q4 2023, i have news for their planning guys....

They haven't bothered to update the thing since early December, and the tracker just shows absolutely nothing for the future

Legit question: do they actually do work at the company? Or do they just keep the lights on for the bare minimum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Legit question: do they actually do work at the company? Or do they just keep the lights on for the bare minimum?

oh i am 100% sure there are entire teams and groups of employees working extremely hard, crunching and burning the candle at both ends

for what exactly , no one but the crobbler knows

and he will change it all on a whim throwing out months of work anyways

so pad your resume while you can and keep collecting that paycheck i say