Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
iPod and iPhone are cultural outliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MKB HD opened a sealed iPhone he bought for $40,000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BwUyTrU9fo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Any chance of the battery swelling in these sealed phones and combusting destroying someone’s collection of exotic electronics?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

hatty posted:

Any chance of the battery swelling in these sealed phones and combusting destroying someone’s collection of exotic electronics?

🙏🙏🙏

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The AI looking blurry rear end version of the talking head it makes for your FaceTime avatar is some uncanny valley poo poo :lol:

I would love a 4k AR scalable workspace for things like photoshop and Lightroom, but not something that has is heavy, bulky, and has a cable attached to my loving head. Maybe in another decade when it can be a lightweight pair of glasses.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

The AI looking blurry rear end version of the talking head it makes for your FaceTime avatar is some uncanny valley poo poo :lol:

Yeah it looked weird as poo poo but no one else has done it so it will be interesting to see how it looks in person.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It will certainly be interesting for the 2 people that ever FaceTime while wearing their ultradork headsets

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I'm gonna gently caress in it like Demolition Man

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I think part of the high values for the old poo poo is because unboxing videos weren't a thing back then. Everyone is going to be unboxing their vision pro in 8k, which will be forever preserved online.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I wonder what updates XReal is going to come out with, because the major issue I have with the Air is the resolution and field of view. Otherwise they're what a lot of folks are describing, if pretty janky while you get to know the quirks of the thing.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Isn’t it possible to easily share Shortcuts Automations? Google seems to say no, which seems incredibly stupid.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xabi posted:

Isn’t it possible to easily share Shortcuts Automations? Google seems to say no, which seems incredibly stupid.

It’s incredibly easy

Wait just the shortcut or an automation?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Also you can fly to Orlando, get a hotel and 3 day park tickets to go to the actual cantina for 2 people for less than $3500.

They only let you go for an hour tho

But then you can go build a lightsaber

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Obviously the tech isn't there, but I could see an AR/VR headset replacing desktop monitor usage, but it has to be cheaper than actual monitor and function just as well as a monitor would with all your other devices. There are enough parents out there who throw gadgets at their kids to distract them and keep them inside or whatever, and a monitor takes up space.

There are still a lot of user experience issues to solve, many of them being hardware-related.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

They only let you go for an hour tho

But then you can go build a lightsaber

That's probably about as long as the battery lasts anyway.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

MarcusSA posted:

It’s incredibly easy

Wait just the shortcut or an automation?
An automation. I don’t have the share button on my Automations page.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Convert it into a shortcut and share the shortcut. Make a new automation to run that shortcut.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Branch Nvidian posted:

The only real reason for a "normal" person to buy a Vision Pro right now is to keep it factory sealed and sell it in 15-20 years from now at an auction for several times the initial purchase price.

How did that work out for the iPod HiFi?

edit: gently caress, beaten

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 24, 2024

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
iOS 17.4 is pretty fuckin wild, especially if you're in the EU.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm surprised that the EU let Apple's bullshit restrictions on third party app stores and app distribution fly. They'll still be gate keeping what'll be allowed on your phone, so still no emulators and poo poo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm surprised that the EU let Apple's bullshit restrictions on third party app stores and app distribution fly. They'll still be gate keeping what'll be allowed on your phone, so still no emulators and poo poo.

Malicious compliance. Apple has straight up said they fuckin hate that poo poo and they are only doing it because they have to.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How do I get the EU version of 17.4

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Move

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apple's bullshit restrictions

What restrictions are those?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

American McGay posted:

What restrictions are those?

The ones EU courts made them lift for starters, you buffoon

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bottom Liner posted:

The ones EU courts made them lift for starters, you buffoon

R > C > P

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Combat Pretzel posted:

How can they control what you side load? It’s gonna be an elaborate white list?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Rinkles posted:

How can they control what you side load? It’s gonna be an elaborate white list?

Still requires Apple to sign apps.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It was always going to be like this, and it’s always funny to see people realise the EU is just as toothless of any other regulator so long as they can look like they’re being tough.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There’s apparently a new “Core Technology Fee” that heavily penalizes apps that are sold outside Apple’s ecosystem (won’t affect devs that stick to the App Store only).

.50 euros per install per account on an annual basis. The first 1 million installs are free for all developers, but after 1 million installs, the fee comes into play.

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/01/25/ios-17-4-alternative-app-marketplaces-eu/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some dudes just really, really want to run Nutaku games on their phones.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm tired of seeing reports about you trolling, and this post doesn't even make sense. Take this as a warning and kindly stop generating reports, thanks.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Rinkles posted:

There’s apparently a new “Core Technology Fee” that heavily penalizes apps that are sold outside Apple’s ecosystem (won’t affect devs that stick to the App Store only).

.50 euros per install per account on an annual basis. The first 1 million installs are free for all developers, but after 1 million installs, the fee comes into play.

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/01/25/ios-17-4-alternative-app-marketplaces-eu/

Note that that's per install, so emulators will still have a rough time of it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm tired of seeing reports about you trolling, and this post doesn't even make sense. Take this as a warning and kindly stop generating reports, thanks.

RCP stands for "read, comprehend, post". The person I initially quoted was talking about Apple's restrictions which were still in place even after the EU ruling, while the person who replied to me decided to give the wrong answer of restrictions that the EU had removed while using inflammatory language. They did not read and comprehend before they posted.

Hope that helps! :cheerdoge:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

American McGay posted:

RCP stands for "read, comprehend, post". The person I initially quoted was talking about Apple's restrictions which were still in place even after the EU ruling, while the person who replied to me decided to give the wrong answer of restrictions that the EU had removed while using inflammatory language. They did not read and comprehend before they posted.

Hope that helps! :cheerdoge:

Duly noted. Warning still stands - whatever you've been doing to rile people up, don't.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I presume that the dumb "notarization" requirement will still mean that any third party web browser will still be a skinned Safari? I vaguely remember that the prohibition of third party browser engines (mainly due to their Javascript VMs) was a big point of contention, that doesn't appear to be resolved from what I can see.

Quackles posted:

Note that that's per install, so emulators will still have a rough time of it.
If Apple still requires apps to be inspected and signed, and therefore are still subject to their rules, there'll be no emulators. Same for example above (dynamic code generation etc.).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Apparently they are allowing 3rd party web engines (in the EU)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Are there even any other web engines outside WebKit, Chrome and Firefox?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I presume that the dumb "notarization" requirement will still mean that any third party web browser will still be a skinned Safari? I vaguely remember that the prohibition of third party browser engines (mainly due to their Javascript VMs) was a big point of contention, that doesn't appear to be resolved from what I can see.

If Apple still requires apps to be inspected and signed, and therefore are still subject to their rules, there'll be no emulators. Same for example above (dynamic code generation etc.).

The information publicly available so far makes it sound like Apple will be inspecting solely for malware/abuse type issues, and then will notarize the code; so they wouldn’t be able to reject an emulator because they don’t want emulators on iPhones, but they will be able to reject emulators that have an ethereum miner hidden in them or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

njsykora posted:

Are there even any other web engines outside WebKit, Chrome and Firefox?

No, and Chrome/Chromium already has 85% of the market on desktop with that mix