Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

How is it possible to mess up the conversation with Orpheus? In every campaign where he's needed to become a mindflayer for me he always accepts, no DC required.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I had wanted Karlach to become a Mindflayer but I'd never done the Orpheus version before and somehow I didn't have that option after the Emperor fled. I didn't want Orpheus to do it because it felt like it went against what I had been playing Laezel as. Orpheus also wouldn't trust Gale to nuke himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

BurritoJustice posted:

What's your CPU/GPU? Act 3 is almost entirely CPU bound.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Might want to check your cpu and gpu temperatures while playing with something like HWINFO64. The game is supposed to be way harder on cpus and just about any gpu can run it. I've had similar experiences and my crappy gpu was chilling at 10 degrees below max while my OK cpu was throttling like a m'fer at 98 degrees

CPU: i7 8700
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
RAM: 16 GB

I'm honestly not sure what is going on, because these specs are not as far off as I would have thought from the system requirements

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 23, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

mycot posted:

I'm honestly not sure what is going on, because these specs are not as far off as I would have thought from the system requirements

Try turning off Dynamic Crowds in the game settings if you haven't already, that seems to give people a lot of performance problems in Act 3.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Well, my honor mode run got through the hag, the gith bridge fight, and the fight after the astral prism, so I’m feeling a bit more comfortable. Might have over prepared for the hag, I was level 6, popped an invisibility on my monk astarion, used a vigilance elixir on my Tav to start the fight, then snuck up behind her, downed a speed potion and knocked her prone and stunned her. Knocked her down to 9 hp in the first round so she never set fire to the cage or made the duplicates.

The gith bridge fight was brutal, had to run away twice to avoid a TPK but wore them down a couple mobs at a time, heat metal was MVP.

Closest call so far actually has been the fight with the dwarves at the village in the underdark with all the undead, I had forgotten about it and waltzed in pretty unprepared with no good way of handling all the zombies. Lost my myconid buddy to the swarm, RIP.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I've been able to do the hag fight as early as Level 3 on HM, not recommended but doable if you have someone who can cast magic missile. The hardest part is making sure the right character is closest to her when she finally does go down so that you can bargain for that sweet +1 ASI.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

AgentHaiTo posted:

First time I've seen this line from Gale, how can he say this with a straight face, lol

Gale's whole thing is he is full of poo poo. If you play as Astarian and bite someone in a battle he will be like hey no more secrets that could lead to the harm of others. I had to put my controller down because of tha gall.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Shard posted:

Gale's whole thing is he is full of poo poo. If you play as Astarian and bite someone in a battle he will be like hey no more secrets that could lead to the harm of others. I had to put my controller down because of tha gall.

This is you should do the Correct Thing as Dark Urge

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Trying to keep all companions leveled up and ready to go is kind of rough if you want all of them to actually be different, so by act 3 I'm running out of builds. I figured sure, Halsin called dibs on being wild shape pure druid, let's just make Jaheira a spore druid archer why not. Not the crazy 1000 damage per round version (it would steal too much of the kit I have assigned to Astarion), but enough levels of druid to have a spore zombie army and enough levels of ranger or fighter for extra attacks. It's extremely against her type but still works very well as back up artillery for a monk/thief Durge and can utilize some gear that's mostly been gathering dust otherwise.

E: the circlet that buffs nearby undead allies also buffs Shovel? I guess it secretly affects fiends too.

Also for whatever reason I never had Us walking around with the party in Rivington on previous plays and it's cute that kids keep running up to Us thinking it's a really weird dog.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 23, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Elixir of Universal Resistance doesn’t overwrite your until long rest elixirs.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

mycot posted:

RAM: 16 GB

A 1050ti is below the minimum requirements. it was a very entry level card when it was new and it is now roughly 7 years old. It’s a generation newer than the 970 listed in the minimum system requirements, but the 970 was a much more expensive card, the 1050ti is roughly 20-30% less powerful.

I’d start by turning settings down to minimum, maybe even lowering resolution; if you don’t want to replace the card.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

mycot posted:

For like 10 hours into Act 3 I was like "wow this is great. So much is incredibly funny, but also dark and opens a lot of intriguing directions for the plot. I don't know what everyone was complaining about." But then performance steadily got worse and worse until I took a path down the wrong alleyway (the one with the kid and his dog?) and the game won't get past the loading screen anymore. "Well my computer was outdated anyway, what does the recommended graphics card cost these days"

:gonk:

e. I found lower prices so I'm salting less but this is still a higher price than I knew I was getting into

worth pointing out that the ‘recommended’ card is a couple generations old, so pricing might be distorted. Look at a 4060 or even a 3060. The resolution you game at will also be important, it takes much less grunt to game at say 1080p than it does at 1440p or 4k.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i played through the whole game fine on a 3060 Ti with only a few slowdowns in act 3, so a 3060 should at least let you get through the game without it seizing up

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

EorayMel posted:

This is you should do the Correct Thing as Dark Urge

Always do

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A typical evil run is Lae'zel, Astarion and Shadowheart with Minthy coming in later so by giving Gale a hand you're just making your camp time way more efficient.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Shard posted:

Every single companion has as their alignment Messy gently caress-up. All of them. None of them are particularly good, or evil, they are just kind of trying to get through the day while carrying all their baggage.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Mulva posted:

Every single companion has as their alignment Messy gently caress-up. All of them. None of them are particularly good, or evil, they are just kind of trying to get through the day while carrying all their baggage.

Karlach does nothing wrong

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

A typical evil run is Lae'zel, Astarion and Shadowheart with Minthy coming in later so by giving Gale a hand you're just making your camp time way more efficient.

lol I am doing an evil run as Astarion and I told Gale to hit the bricks at the goblin party, I didn't know he would leave. So now it's just me and the girls.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The soul coins were asking for it obviously

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Wyll and Karlach will absolutely hit the road if you take some actively evil actions

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Thanks for all the tech and setting tips; I'll mess around with the game more and do more googling, hopefully there's a happy update later.

Karlach loves killing people as much as the next party member, it's just that she makes sure that they're really evil people like the slavers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Karlach killed about 15 Flaming Fist guards as collateral damage from her trident on my last run. All agents of the Absolute to a one, I'm sure.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Finally picked up Minthara, and you all were right, she's the best. Love her voice acting too - feels like a character straight out of the 90's GI Joe series. But now I'm also jealous of her because her combat stance, at least with sword and shield, is way cooler than my Durge's :smith: Haven't checked all the others yet.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Karlach killed about 15 Flaming Fist guards as collateral damage from her trident on my last run. All agents of the Absolute to a one, I'm sure.

acab

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This brings up something I've thought about since I first played BG1. The flaming fist are not actually good guys. They are a mercenary company hired by the city of BG correct? And they were straight up trying to murder Viconia on sight in BG1. I don't feel any worse killing Flaming Fist dudes than I do killing any other mercs.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i DMed descent to avernus as well and they're not described as good guys in that either

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hey now, there was that one Fist who was mad about the people protesting against refugees and asked you to join him in beating them up

actually that was Orin

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can make that guy alternate between wanting to kill all the refugees and kill all the nobles in every sentence, which is what I always choose.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The fist were real quick to jump on Gortash's bandwagon and start beating people up in the street for questioning them. They also care only about the upper city. gently caress the flaming fist. I honestly think you could run a realistic campaign where a free'd durge and minthara could take over that city.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is Carrion's basement the only place in the whole game where it's worthwhile to check all the bottle holder shelves?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Shard posted:

The fist were real quick to jump on Gortash's bandwagon and start beating people up in the street for questioning them. They also care only about the upper city. gently caress the flaming fist. I honestly think you could run a realistic campaign where a free'd durge and minthara could take over that city.

I feel like they do a sort of half-assed “all the good cops went with florrick and everyone left in Baldur’s Gate is a fash” explanation or at least that’s what I tell myself when I start merking them

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Shard posted:

This brings up something I've thought about since I first played BG1. The flaming fist are not actually good guys. They are a mercenary company hired by the city of BG correct? And they were straight up trying to murder Viconia on sight in BG1. I don't feel any worse killing Flaming Fist dudes than I do killing any other mercs.

There's a couple Flaming Fists that are legitimately OK dudes in Baldur's Gate 1, in the final chapter. But yeah, it is a mercenary company that seems perfectly happy to carry on while they are being commanded by Sarevok and a bunch of comically evil dopplegangers, or noted nice guy Gortash

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

A 1050ti is below the minimum requirements. it was a very entry level card when it was new and it is now roughly 7 years old. It’s a generation newer than the 970 listed in the minimum system requirements, but the 970 was a much more expensive card, the 1050ti is roughly 20-30% less powerful.

I’d start by turning settings down to minimum, maybe even lowering resolution; if you don’t want to replace the card.

Oh dang, I guess the 1000 series cards are finally biting the dust.

poo poo, this was not supposed to be a doublepost

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I’ve had zero issues on a 1070 but my CPU (Ryzen 5600X I think) is much more recent than my GPU.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

Oh dang, I guess the 1000 series cards are finally biting the dust.

Did my first run of BG3 on a 1060 6GB with most stuff cranked up to high (1080p of course, but still). Super playable even in Act 3.

Upgraded to a 4060 about a month ago and handed the 1060 off to a friend and he's super happy doing BG3 and Darktide (which was unplayable at launch, much better now). The biggest factor for FPS these days is lovely optimization from AAA devs (not Larian obv), then GPU model/generation.

Still, you can only push a 7 year old card so far and yeah, they're finally struggling to run games.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You can complain to Art Cullagh about the current Flaming Fists before you actually get to the city so you clearly know the Fist has Problems.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I had a 1060 and i couldn't get more than 10fps out of the game even with everything set to minimum :confused:

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Trevor Hale posted:

I feel like they do a sort of half-assed “all the good cops went with florrick and everyone left in Baldur’s Gate is a fash” explanation or at least that’s what I tell myself when I start merking them

If you poke around Wyrm's Rock, you'll find a report by their own internal affairs officr detailing the big issues they are having with corruption and abuse of power. You can run into a group shaking down some guys on the docks. A quick glimpse into the Steel Watcher brains tells you they're up to shenanigans, too.

Plus, yeah, working for Gortash and card carrying God of Tyranny Bane.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, there is enough stuff around that I don't feel bad about incidental Flaming Fist casualties. There are a handful that seem ok, like Devella, so maybe just don't murder those ones.

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I had a 1060 and i couldn't get more than 10fps out of the game even with everything set to minimum :confused:

What is your CPU?

I ran it on a intel 8700 and 1060 6gb and it was okay on medium/lowish settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I used the old warhammer lockpick on the door to the casket place in act 3, which was not a red "don't lockpick this door" door, and a ~concerned citizen~ ran off and snitched. Ended up having to murder like 15 flaming fists and a steel watcher to get out of there. It was really fun because it was a multiplayer session and we were all split up, but I was able to hold them off at the entrance until I could get back up from our dual-hand crossbow specced rogue could get there and wipe out 75% of them by himself.

ACAB