Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I'm not sure it is precisely. A problem with a lot of these kinds of settings is that they absolutely have the ability to do so within the confines of the story but being effective at doing that means that you lose the drama of a captured/defeated villain returning, so by the necessity of drama they have to fail but story obviously can't acknowledge that so any escape has to be presented as something unexpected. It's the ol' "Why doesn't Batman kill The Joker" question and the in-universe answer is "Because Arkham Asylum is a well-funded high-tech prison from which nobody should be able to escape" as much as the out-of-universe answer is "Because The Joker is marketable and nothing would keep him from coming back, including Batman killing him."

I'd say the real reason that Batman shouldn't kill The Joker is because Batman is already operating outside of the legality of the law, and that's only tolerated because he doesn't play judge, jury, and executioner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I don't think you need the law to be the reason why killing is wrong.

Heck, even the law doesn't care about that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'd say the real reason that Batman shouldn't kill The Joker is because Batman is already operating outside of the legality of the law, and that's only tolerated because he doesn't play judge, jury, and executioner.

This is extremely low on the reasons list for why Batman doesn't kill the Joker.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Depends on the series. Adam West Batman, for example, is a duly empowered officer of the law.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Depends on the series. Adam West Batman, for example, is a duly empowered officer of the law.

Adam West Batman is like the last Batman who would kill anybody though

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Horikoshi sorta confusedly/poorly and through shonen level scope: Systemic societal and cultural issues can lead to abused and disadvantaged people becoming criminals but they should still be treated with compassion and empathy somewhat.

Shonen comic readers who are mostly just thinking about how they wanted Sasuke to die: They’re super Hitler and must be destroyed actually.
To be fair if you're coming from Naruto it sorta looks like this

https://twitter.com/Fiend_Jr_/status/1748837627594154475

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Good ol' Vegeta, he only genocided a few planets.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe those planets had bad vibes!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Not Batman but

Also Batman is such a psychological mess that he doesn't kill people because it would probably destroy the last shred of sanity he has. That's always my favorite interpretation.

Fabricated posted:

To be fair if you're coming from Naruto it sorta looks like this

https://twitter.com/Fiend_Jr_/status/1748837627594154475

Kishi really wanted to do the "persecution and isolation forces people to do extreme things" idea, too, as sesn with all the very late Uchiha retcons, but of course most fans didn't buy it because it was so blatantly half-assed and last minute. Hori at least clearly had this idea from the start.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I guess my issue with this at least is that they've gone so over the top with how powerful, and deadly, and insane Shigaraki is that it's hard to buy him as at all redeemable. And I guess that's the point, Deku saving the seemingly unsavable, but man, they really need to stick the landing for that to be satisfying and I'm not sure I trust this series to do that.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

ImpAtom posted:

But he's a loving dad and husband so who can say

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vegeta was still going to hell as late as the Buu saga and it took multiple genuinely selfless acts of sacrifice to balance his karma.

Basically Shigaraki is going to have to let himself get his rear end kicked by a bubble gum monster.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What I learned from this discussion is that lots of people have differing interpretations of Batman!

That said, I still like the way it's worded here.

Also, regarding this

Rhonne posted:

I guess my issue with this at least is that they've gone so over the top with how powerful, and deadly, and insane Shigaraki is that it's hard to buy him as at all redeemable. And I guess that's the point, Deku saving the seemingly unsavable, but man, they really need to stick the landing for that to be satisfying and I'm not sure I trust this series to do that.

I can agree with that. It feels weird to try and give redemption to someone who not only doesn't want it, but is actively pointing out that he is using his agency to deny the need for it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What I learned from this discussion is that lots of people have differing interpretations of Batman!

That said, I still like the way it's worded here.

It's a great comic from the legendary Frank Miller run of Daredevil. Would recommend.

And for Batman, would recommend the animated film Batman: Under the Red Hood. It's the basis for my interpretation of Batman's motives. It's also, IMO, the absolute best Batman movie of all time.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

I can agree with that. It feels weird to try and give redemption to someone who not only doesn't want it, but is actively pointing out that he is using his agency to deny the need for it.
That's why I think Toga's arc was handled well. Toga's thing was her being in complete agony because nobody understood her, nor wanted to understand her, and she changed her mind when someone made the effort to really reach out to her. It works.

Dabi sort of works because his entire family comes together to save him because they genuinely don't want him to die, even if their preventing his suicide bombing still reduced him to a smouldering skeleton.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not sure I would call Dabi saved. Sure, they kept him from killing himself(and everyone else around him), but like you said, he's a smoldering skeleton at this point and he still wants to kill his family and everyone else. I guess Eri could fix his body up later, but that doesn't solve the issue of him being a homicidal maniac.

Funky Valentine posted:

Basically Shigaraki is going to have to let himself get his rear end kicked by a bubble gum monster.

You're right, Mina should beat up Shigaraki.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I agree I don't think horikoshi is likely to stick the landing all that well, but he's had issues writing about deku and his ideals compellingly and convincingly whether the villain was just "a peer who was a dick to him personally" or "history's biggest mega-murderer". the scale is pretty irrelevant; he just doesn't have much interesting to say about the idea of heroism and he has yet to say the trite stuff in a way that comes off new or fresh or even just soundly executed.

he wrote a guy who was basically responsible for every evil thing in history and then made that guy commit a super-elaborate super-boring suicide in the middle of the final battle so the heroes wouldn't have to make any moral judgments relating to him (he doesn't even let bakugo fight the baby, an eternally shameful decision). deku's desire to save shigaraki would be as unconvincing as it is now even if shigaraki's plan was to kill one guy.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Rhonne posted:

No she should soothe his soul with the power of break dance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
her dance will break him, physically

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rhonne posted:

I'm not sure I would call Dabi saved. Sure, they kept him from killing himself(and everyone else around him), but like you said, he's a smoldering skeleton at this point and he still wants to kill his family and everyone else. I guess Eri could fix his body up later, but that doesn't solve the issue of him being a homicidal maniac.

I almost feel like having him get fixed up and thrown in prison forever is more hosed up than letting him vent his frustrations at his family in person until he's satisfied and just dies.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Valentin posted:

he wrote a guy who was basically responsible for every evil thing in history and then made that guy commit a super-elaborate super-boring suicide in the middle of the final battle so the heroes wouldn't have to make any moral judgments relating to him (he doesn't even let bakugo fight the baby, an eternally shameful decision).

I mean, no? The heroes are just straight up trying to kill All For One, no questions asked. And they would have succeeded in killing him if he hadn't used Rewind to cheat death one more time and give himself a little more time. Not to mention, All Might tried to kill him in the past, and no one made any moral judgments on him except wishing he had actually finished the job.

They should have let Bakugo fight the baby though, you're right about that.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
If Shiggy and Dabi get to walk out of this alive and with prospects for a life then my pure beautiful boy O'clock II was robbed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

If Shiggy and Dabi get to walk out of this alive and with prospects for a life then my pure beautiful boy O'clock II was robbed.

O'clock II made a friend by the end though.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Honestly O'Clock II had a happier ending than Dabi's gonna get.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

O'clock 2 went out on his own terms. And those terms were giving Koichi a cool scar and going "ha ha, you didn't win!" and blow up

He was the coolest guy.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is Dabi still an angry fire skeleton? I dont think hes gonna make it

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

hatty posted:

Is Dabi still an angry fire skeleton? I dont think hes gonna make it

Last time we saw him, his fire was put out, and he was just a burnt out husk with no arms, legs, eyes, or lips. So, uhh, not great.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Last time we saw him, his fire was put out, and he was just a burnt out husk with no arms, legs, eyes, or lips. So, uhh, not great.

I mean he recovered from his first loss for no reason, maybe he'll just pop up with robot limbs later.

And lips. Eyes. and the skin of course but ah hell you know what just build a robot kid and name'em Dabi and save everyone the grief.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if they'll de-Quirk Dabi. On one hand, it seems like a good idea since he's kind of self-destructive and a serial killer.

On the other hand, what a twist of the knife that would be in light of his backstory.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I will genuinely laugh if the solution is "take their quirks away" because 1) that's just doing what All for One did, but "good" now, and 2) it'd be even more AtLA.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

"take away their individuality" is absolutely not gonna be the play here. this is where the quirk translation runs into some issues

yes this will coexist alongside deku giving up one for all (also OFA isn't just his individuality but something handed down and meant to be passed on, thats the whole point; this is also why he must give it up to truly save shigaraki, since it will be his own individuality as a person, even though he lacks it in the setting's superpower sense, that saves the day) but this is the issue you run into when you make your superhero powers serve textually as a core aspect of identity.

e: especially now that we've established via the whole quirk vestige rebellion thing that they're kind of a piece of your soul

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 23, 2024

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Valentin posted:

"take away their individuality" is absolutely not gonna be the play here. this is where the quirk translation runs into some issues

yes this will coexist alongside deku giving up one for all (also OFA isn't just his individuality but something handed down and meant to be passed on, thats the whole point; this is also why he must give it up to truly save shigaraki, since it will be his own individuality as a person, even though he lacks it in the setting's superpower sense, that saves the day) but this is the issue you run into when you make your superhero powers serve textually as a core aspect of identity.

e: especially now that we've established via the whole quirk vestige rebellion thing that they're kind of a piece of your soul

Deku will give up One For All, but somehow, this will cause him to unlock his own natural quirk, which is a combination of his mom's telekinesis and his dad's fire breathing, creating a pyrokinesis quirk that allows him to safely stop the lava from Mt. Fuji.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Horikoshi made it pretty clear that giving up the quirk ghosts is not the same as giving up the accumulated power. Even "quirkless" Deku would still be equivalent to year 1 Deku (see also All Might keeping a whole lot of power even after passing it on).

My impression, especially given the star and stripes cameo, is that Deku intends to have the quirk ghosts dive into Shiragaki's psyche, uncover what's being buried, empower it and defeat Shigaraki from inside and outside with the help of Tenko.

And probably destroy all the stolen quirks in the process.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Treating Shigaraki and Tenko like they are two different entities would be such a cop-out.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Treating Shigaraki and Tenko like they are two different entities would be such a cop-out.

Oh god, that's absolutely going to happen, especially with the existence of quirk ghosts and specially name-dropping Tenko as if he is something separate from Shigaraki.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 23, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would normally agree but I feel like having AFO shoved into your skull by a mad doctor in such a way that it drastically alters your personality is probably the closest you're going to get to justification for that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rhonne posted:

I feel like these characters just need to get into gaming. Shigaraki uses to game, but he's only become worse since he stopped gaming. Same with Spinner - was the most sane when he was a gamer, and then he became all hosed up (and presumably isn't gaming in his current state). And I don't think Dabi ever gamed?

I dunno, seems pretty straightforward to me.

Edit: While Dabi is recovering from being turned into a skeleton, they can let him play Like A Dragon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like these characters just need to get into gaming. Shigaraki uses to game, but he's only become worse since he stopped gaming. Same with Spinner - was the most sane when he was a gamer, and then he became all hosed up (and presumably isn't gaming in his current state). And I don't think Dabi ever gamed?

I dunno, seems pretty straightforward to me.

Edit: While Dabi is recovering from being turned into a skeleton, they can let him play Like A Dragon

You know who is a gamer?

Mineta.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Rhonne posted:

Darth Vader did kill Anakin in a way...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Tenko: Who are you?
Tomura: I'm you. Only a little more... bizarre.