Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/19/lvo-preview-2024-the-solar-auxilia-return-to-the-age-of-darkness-in-plastic/

I'm really happy that plastic Solar Auxilia are coming out! Ever since I saw the resin kits, I've always wanted some, but I didn't want to have to pay the resin-price, as it were.

I think I'm going to get the Battle Group boxed set when it comes out. I won't bother trying to pre-order though as I assume that will become unavailable within an hour on whatever Saturday it's released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The new aux look great. They translated to plastic pretty well. There's been a minor loss of detail, but they're going to be so much more convenient that that's irrelevant. It's interesting that they changed the lasrifle's power cell though. Wouldn't have thought the old version would've been a problem in plastic so I wonder what's going on there.

The command squad they showed is just the baby version that lasrifle tercios can take so hopefully there's a full command squad coming. That was a beautiful kit in resin. I'm also hoping for some real veteran models for the companion units.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

If I ever do Auxilia I’m thinking of taking a cue from the Defenders of Caliban faction in the Horus Heresy mobile game and having Calibanite Auxilia, copying the colour scheme of the Calibanite Jaegers from the game (so those would be the Imperialis Militia to my forces’ Solar Auxilia).

So my Dark Angels (which I’ll get around to eventually) will have an entourage.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Safety Factor posted:

The new aux look great. They translated to plastic pretty well. There's been a minor loss of detail, but they're going to be so much more convenient that that's irrelevant. It's interesting that they changed the lasrifle's power cell though. Wouldn't have thought the old version would've been a problem in plastic so I wonder what's going on there.

The command squad they showed is just the baby version that lasrifle tercios can take so hopefully there's a full command squad coming. That was a beautiful kit in resin. I'm also hoping for some real veteran models for the companion units.

lasrifles on the command section don't have the large power cell so I suppose it could be an extra bit like the bayonets and they're adding upgrades in errata?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Somehow they've made the guard more boring

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

Somehow they've made the guard more boring

mlyp

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

also honestly such a dumb take if you look at the modern IG sculpts lol

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I'm not sure I understand how Jules Verne-esque voidsuit troopers are more boring than "army guys." Maybe the paint scheme isn't doing it for you?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I love the fridge sentinel

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I really like the Dracosan, I wonder how close it is in size to a Chimera, because I would definitely counts-as that. If I played Guard anyway.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

smug jeebus posted:

I really like the Dracosan, I wonder how close it is in size to a Chimera, because I would definitely counts-as that. If I played Guard anyway.

It’s significantly bigger, it’s been available as a big old resin brick for years.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

smug jeebus posted:

wouldn't work at all, dracosan's nearly as tall as and slightly longer than a land raider

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Ah well, thanks for the heads up

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Nancy posted:

I'm not sure I understand how Jules Verne-esque voidsuit troopers are more boring than "army guys." Maybe the paint scheme isn't doing it for you?

The color scheme is extremely drab but aside from that these poses are more static than the newer stuff coming from GW making the dudes completely interchangeable, no fun personalities.

I suppose that might be a design philosophy for Horus Heresy as a whole which is nostalgic for when everyones armies had a hundred copies of the same dude.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That uniformity looks better in bulk, since there's nothing eye-catching to suggest repetition. Like extras in a film or something.

If ever sixth guy is making a big movement or has a distinctive feature, human pattern recognition kicks in and you're immediately aware that it's recycled sculpts.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

War and Pieces posted:

The color scheme is extremely drab but aside from that these poses are more static than the newer stuff coming from GW making the dudes completely interchangeable, no fun personalities.

I suppose that might be a design philosophy for Horus Heresy as a whole which is nostalgic for when everyones armies had a hundred copies of the same dude.

It’s a uniform army not a parade of chaos peacocks.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Gonna tell my Chaos Peacocks what you said

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
um actually real chaos peacocks weren’t a feature until the siege of terra son so you have to use the correct marks of feathers if you want a true lore-accurate mid-heresy peacock force

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

smug jeebus posted:

Gonna tell my Chaos Peacocks what you said

I loving hate real peacock calls so I’m gonna assume they would be basically noise marines.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

They’d definitely be Emperor’s Children at least. All that preening.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Well, my LGS said the HH mk3 boxes are direct order only now.

Which means this gift card I have is useless.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

The Demilich posted:

Well, my LGS said the HH mk3 boxes are direct order only now.

Which means this gift card I have is useless.

That doesn't sound right, but I don't know if that's unique to the store or something like that. You could always buy something a your LGS, then swap it for store credit at GW and get the Marines that way.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Ooh is that an Ofanim court?

Sorry, after sleeping off the 24 hour convoy from LVO to the PNW, just getting back into things.

Yes, these are ofanim court guys.

Major Spag fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 23, 2024

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah, Blackshields and Shattered Legions are back
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/25/shattered-legions-and-blackshields-star-in-the-next-expansion-for-warhammer-the-horus-heresy/

As long as teleporting space pirates with alien crystal mindguns are still possible I'll be happy.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Safety Factor posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/25/shattered-legions-and-blackshields-star-in-the-next-expansion-for-warhammer-the-horus-heresy/

As long as teleporting space pirates with alien crystal mindguns are still possible I'll be happy.

Very, very hopeful these rules end up being good. Loved Blackshields last edition, good or bad.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh poo poo! That's a great surprise drop.

I got to take my Iron Hands out and that was fun as hell.

My Mortalis Destroyers were the MVP, just deleting poo poo. I paired them with a dual grav-pistol Moriat - the IH reaction synergizes with rad grenades, toxiferran flamer Wall'd of Death for 11 hits, and the Moriat crumpled three guys. It was the most effective thing I've done in Horus Heresy since I've started playing.

The mission sucked though. It was the one from the expansion with an objective that scatters after you claim it. It kept scattering around in my deployment zone like a pinball, giving me VP with no effort.

It did that for my opponent last time we played as well. It's not a good mission.

E: two questions:
1) If a Grav weapon gets hot, what happens? I resolved it as if he'd been hit and rolled a Grav pulse roll since that seems fair.

2) Does Hel's heart care about range? It seems goofy to put D6 plasma pistol rounds across the board, but that seems to be how it's written.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 25, 2024

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

E: two questions:
1) If a Grav weapon gets hot, what happens? I resolved it as if he'd been hit and rolled a Grav pulse roll since that seems fair.

2) Does Hel's heart care about range? It seems goofy to put D6 plasma pistol rounds across the board, but that seems to be how it's written.
1) Get's hot is always just a wound with the AP of the weapon. The only difference in how it works is that you roll a die before you scatter with blast weapons.
2) I think it does? Automatic hits using the profile of a weapon would include the range. You don't roll to hit, but it has to be something that can hit.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh crap, we'd been doing Gets Hot wrong for a while now, resolving it as an automatic hit and not a wound. Thanks!

And including range seems more right since it's part of the profile. RaW it never "attacks" so you don't check range, but that feels cheap and stupid.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Oh crap, we'd been doing Gets Hot wrong for a while now, resolving it as an automatic hit and not a wound. Thanks!

And including range seems more right since it's part of the profile. RaW it never "attacks" so you don't check range, but that feels cheap and stupid.

At least he can try to save it. No cover or shrouded saves, though! Makes sense that you can't hide from a massive energy discharge from you own malfunctioning gun.

I can definitely imagine people arguing for both interpretations in a big tournament or something. They should probably just faq it, just to shut it down prematurely.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Safety Factor posted:

Well, if they go the way that Militia and Auxilia went, it's gonna be hilarious.

Still can't believe they gave Auxilia rules that are almost as transformative as Muster of the Worlds.

Yes, my guys are dumb gangers. They don't fight in orderly ranks. They have autoguns. Etc.

And love the continuing characterization of Rowboat as the """tactical genius""" whose first instinct is to make WW1-like blocks of monoweapon everything.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I wonder if GW will reprint the ForgeWorld Blackshields transfer sheet.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/01/heresy-thursday-scout-fast-and-strike-hard-with-the-hot-rod-sentinel-of-the-solar-auxilia/

They went to the trouble of making a special veletaris variant and its driver has tweaked armor to match their style. The heavy version is definitely on the goofier side of things, but I love it. It's just nice to see the aux get expanded and if they're becoming the doofy sentinel faction I think I'm alright with that.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 1, 2024

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/01/heresy-thursday-scout-fast-and-strike-hard-with-the-hot-rod-sentinel-of-the-solar-auxilia/

They went to the trouble of making a special veletaris variant and its driver has tweaked armor to match their style. The heavy version is definitely on the goofier side of things, but I love it. It's just nice to see the aux get expanded and if they're becoming the doofy sentinel faction I think I'm alright with that.

Literally looks like something out of an arcade game.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Safety Factor posted:

I like it a lot more than the heavy sentinel. It's charming.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Safety Factor posted:

I love this. Especially the light version. Bare minimum protection and bad ergonomics gives it a great subtle dystopian feel

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
I will name him Stumpy.

So this is basically the equivalent of a heavy weapons team, right? It’s pretty lightly armed for a walker, even given the size.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Love the prominently displayed and easily accessible fuel tank for the flamer.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SkyeAuroline posted:

I like it a lot more than the heavy sentinel. It's charming.

I'm looking forward to having the heavy fridge accompanied by these chickens

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
very jazzed about veletaris sentinel. also waiting to see axe veletaris and the rules-implied heavy weapon veletaris. glad i have a few resin kits i never assembled to mix in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It straight up has the classic 3rd edition sentinel legs, right?