Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

That's pretty forward of Val to say that. Especially for fiction written in the late 50's/early 60's about a medieval prince.

I'm really enjoying Vintage Valiant. I had had no contact whatsoever with this character and Foster's work until I started to pay attention to these threads and I thank you for that.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Like a lot of people I had bounced off the strip as a kid in the 80s/90s so I'm glad I gave it a chance as an adult.

OneMoreTime posted:

I want the witch queen to never be elaborated on, but to just continuously show up everywhere looking smug as hell

I've been wondering if she's involved with Ming 2's plot somehow, but I hope not. It'll be much more fun if she's just enjoying drama she knows doesn't involve her.

Vintage Valiant (May 21, 1961)

This isn't the first time Val's acquired a slave, but I think it's the first time he's just straight up bought one. :(

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kennel posted:

Corto Maltese's driver got shot which led his car falling off a cliff, him saving the other passenger of the said car, an octopus attack, getting stuck in a giant clam and a shark attack.

Yeah, when I posting that first time round I was reminded of that one section of Fantoma which had the villain repeatedly dunked on by the fauna of the jungle. Don't ask me what was going through Pratt's head with that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

amigolupus posted:

If it turns out the daughter gave up being a vegan or made Keith 100% beef burgers, I'm going to scream.

Eating meat is so cool, Keith! *they clink their burgers together*

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/22/04

Brenda Starr 6/29/52

I wonder if this story was inspired by the Hope Diamond, which at this time was still owned by jeweler Harry Winston and touring the country.

Everyday Movies 3/4/37

Spoilered for ethnic slur.

"I'm gonna look for a new sponsor."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/27/42

Closer Than We Think! 5/3/59

Bonus Ad! Who keeps savings bonds in a waffle iron?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tiggum posted:

What is she doing there, headphones on, an hour ahead of time? And doesn't she have a producer? What kind of show does she host anyway? I know people call in but they just seem to talk about whatever they feel like so that doesn't give many hints.
Probably browsing facebook. But why is her daughter there?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(11/1/1993)

(11/2/1993)

Ziggy

(7/29/1971)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
perhaps Val recognizes the slave and will help him get revenge? maybe?

and doesn't Angelique stay as a rat after this bullshit? much like the "pray away the gay" camps, trauma doesn't "fix" you.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, May 12-17, 1983

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I love Wallace so much.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Forum accident posted:

Frank and Ernest

(11/1/1993)

(11/2/1993)

i can never read the frank and ernest dynamic as anything but a cohabiting relationship*

*frank and ernest could not legally marry in 1993 but by all rights, they're husbands

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

THORN, May 12-17, 1983

Fone Bone is a lot tougher here than he is in the later version.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ever since Frank and Ernest popped up, every time I see it my brain does this old joke I first heard Samuel L Jackson say in an interview before he got megafamous, "With the ladies I am always frank and ernest. In New York I'm Frank, and in Chicago I'm Ernest."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Huxley posted:

Ever since Frank and Ernest popped up, every time I see it my brain does this old joke I first heard Samuel L Jackson say in an interview before he got megafamous, "With the ladies I am always frank and ernest. In New York I'm Frank, and in Chicago I'm Ernest."

That's from The Long Kiss Goodnight. Fun movie!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

perhaps Val recognizes the slave and will help him get revenge? maybe?

and doesn't Angelique stay as a rat after this bullshit? much like the "pray away the gay" camps, trauma doesn't "fix" you.

I think she lays off of the rabbit hunting, so it's a rousing success for the heroes protagonists.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

That's from The Long Kiss Goodnight. Fun movie!

Oh, he'd already been in Pulp Fiction! For some reason I thought it was an interview for some project in the 80s. I'll go find it, I bet it's on Tubi.

e: God bless Tubi, we don't deserve it.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Bluebeard Affair

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's going to be one of those situations where Cooper doesn't have to do anything; the threat alone will be enough to freak Stuart out and cause him to gently caress up his own job.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Bardiche Hotel

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Dingbat Family/The Family Upstairs(July 26, 1910)

Harriman has two ideas!

Baron Bean(January 25, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(December 24, 1912)

Gasoline Alley(September 13, 1919)

Us Boys(November 5, 1911)

The Gumps(February 20, 1916)

Krazy Kat(November 18, 1913)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I sense that Q-Rai is going to break my heart.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Doomykins posted:

I sense that Q-Rai is going to break my heart.
Same here.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

This one got me good. Pickles is quietly a pretty reliable gag strip.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

Poor Hudley, this guy just can't catch a break.

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Ah yes, that famous pizza style, "Thick crust."

Rose is Rose

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

My local pizza place literally has this actually. Thin crust, 'regular' and thick crust. Thick crust is like a deep dish pizza.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Between the smug witch and now this inquisitor, the new Flash Gordon is bringing an energy I don't think I've seen in newspapers before

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i really appreciate how the inquisitor design calls back to the 1980 movie's klytus with the mask and chest piece

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Actually, going back and reading strips from days ago, there's some good foreshadowing I missed.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unpopular opinion, but I prefer new Popeye to the old. Not that the new ones are perfect (I've read all the posts) but at least they are not as insufferable boring and stupid as the old.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 23, 2024

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ghostlight posted:

i really appreciate how the inquisitor design calls back to the 1980 movie's klytus with the mask and chest piece

That's where it's from! I was trying to figure out if she was an old character when I should have been focusing on the style rather than the name.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

JethroMcB posted:

It is quite common.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqQOGTshak

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

(2nd panel: and now we don't need to care what happened to the dad and son anymore)

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The heart surgeon that operated on me in 2012 was T. Sloane Guy.
https://roboticheartsurgeon.com/dr-t-sloane-guy-bio/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

One of those wallets has a real life Japanese mascot on it. I wonder who’s it is? I can’t remember the name of the mascot. Perhaps someone will help me out here. Things move in front of my eyes very quickly and I grab what I can get.

Not looking good for Mrs. Clovis:ohdear: