Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

It’s just an occasional thing, maybe once or twice a month. I had a friend whose wife let their kids sleep in the bed almost every night so he was always on the couch…led to a lot of issues between him and her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

T-Square posted:

Mostly enjoying TotK except for getting my rear end one shot in every encounter so far because I haven’t gotten extra hearts or better armor yet

Also thinking about how you need to meet up with Sidon on top of the mountain but to get up to him you need to get some fish to fix your Zora armor to be able to swim up the waterfall and then it’s heavily implied that the only place that fish is found is on top of the same mountain you need the fish to fix your armor for to get up there anyway

TotK can he brutal at the beginning

T-Square
May 14, 2009

a neat cape posted:

TotK can he brutal at the beginning

For real, and I’m still very rusty on dodging and parrying.

I had one of those moments last night where I set out to do one thing and within 15 minutes I was “ooh what’s that” sidetracked for the 6th time and doing something completely different

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Hey car knowers, my truck hit a curb today skidding on ice. Broke the wheel and knocked it out of alignment. Screwed up the stabilitrak, although I’m assuming that’s because the alignment is off. It’s going to the shop for an estimate anyway. I think the frame may have had a bolt hole expanded? Does anyone know what I’m looking at while I wait a week for the estimate?

Good side then bad side shown.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The best thing to do is at the start of TotK is go be a journalist (by Rito Village) since this unlocks the ability to upgrade armor through another quest.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I didn’t feel safe in combat until I had like 7 extra hearts and a set of double upgraded armor.

Early ToTK is scary.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I didn’t feel safe in combat until I had like 7 extra hearts and a set of double upgraded armor.

Early ToTK is scary.

Yeah, you don't get a Great Plateau like in BotW to acclimate you.

Also, go find a big hole in the ground and jump in.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I only drink socially, which during COVID was awesome for my waistline & wallet.

Last weekend though I went a bit hard and gained 2 lbs from the Midwest food & booze.

RE: Holocaust: My high school class advisor was our 12th grade history teacher, and his master's was in the Holocaust. We skimmed almost all of the early 20th century to cover World War II (WWI got lip service since it set up the events of the following war).

I don't know cars worth poo poo No Butt Stuff, so I can't help you there. My front passenger side window sometimes doesn't like coming back up so I'll need to get that looked at.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Hey car knowers, my truck hit a curb today skidding on ice. Broke the wheel and knocked it out of alignment. Screwed up the stabilitrak, although I’m assuming that’s because the alignment is off. It’s going to the shop for an estimate anyway. I think the frame may have had a bolt hole expanded? Does anyone know what I’m looking at while I wait a week for the estimate?

Good side then bad side shown.

am I extremely dumb/blind or do you have the pictures in reverse order?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, my American history teacher sucked loving poo poo but I at least learned a poo poo ton about the Civil War and World War 2

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I wish high schools would teach more about WW1

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

am I extremely dumb/blind or do you have the pictures in reverse order?

Yeah they’re reversed. I’m bad at phone posting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

a neat cape posted:

I don't really know what needs to be taught about WW1 besides "the entire world decided to kill all of it's young men for petty and bizarre reasons"

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m general I think we spent way too much time on wars. Knowing battles and poo poo is mostly irrelevant. Teach what lead up to and caused the war and what happened after because that’s actually useful to know.

I always wonder how far history classes get these days because I feel like all the history classes I ever took in school more or less stopped at WWII. The 40 years after was very briefly skimmed through, and now there’s almost 80 years worth of post WWII stuff to cover.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m general I think we spent way too much time on wars. Knowing battles and poo poo is mostly irrelevant. Teach what lead up to and caused the war and what happened after because that’s actually useful to know.

I always wonder how far history classes get these days because I feel like all the history classes I ever took in school more or less stopped at WWII. The 40 years after was very briefly skimmed through, and now there’s almost 80 years worth of post WWII stuff to cover.

We went over civil rights era stuff, Emmet Till, Brown v Board of Education, Rosie Parks

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
We watched the entire Ken Burns Civil War documentary. There's a lot of it.

For the WWI section, our teacher had us play a modified game of Diplomacy, which was an interesting exercise. Basically assigned groups of 1-3 people to a European country, which had a point value, and then the challenge was to get a coalition to a certain threshold; allowed whatever means necessary to get people/groups on your side, outside of physical violence. There was some good back-and-forth backstabbery, wish I could remember what the end result was.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Unskewing the polls has always been a winning strategery, I hope for the best but I'm beyond needing to care.

I still learned the basics about the Civil War and civil rights in school despite not being 150 years old (yet) so I don't have a lot of sympathy for Roblox players who don't know about the Holocaust.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I did a big chunk of my degree studying ethnic conflict and genocide.

A lecturer of mine once in passing said that the holocaust informed a lot of how investigations the UN conducted in the years following were informed by just how badly and mishandled a lot of aspects of the post mortem were conducted. In large part due to difficulties with the communist regime in eastern Europe at the time.

Access to sites of graves was denied. Summary execution of valuable sources of information, document destruction etc etc etc.

The political climate at the time involving the Zionist movement etc

Thats not say there was malfeasance or a cover up or a conspiracy or anything of that nature. Just that subsequently NGOs and the UN and other groups got better at collating, preserving, recording and publishing this stuff.

Its not hard to cherry pick aspects of an investigation and use small things that are by today's standards usual to act like you can't believe any of it. Package it into something that the algorithm likes and you're bound to convince a few dummies. Even if 10% of people are dumb as poo poo to be convinced by a tiktok you're still hitting a large number.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
"The holocaust was exaggerated"

Sounds like you did fine

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

I learned more about World War I listening to Iron Maiden than I did in high school. Pretty sure Paschendale is longer than the time we spent on the war in class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfA3FlZ6u2Q

For World War II, we talked about it for like maybe an hour, which included watching the Omaha Beach scene from Saving Private Ryan.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Our history syllabus im highschool was quite a bit about about the age of discovery into ww1 for obvious reasons, colonialism, ww2 and then into the cold war.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 24, 2024

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I have no idea what our high school syllabus was about but I still know about The Holocaust. Partly because the information was all sorts of present before right wing governments hid it and slavery due to "woke". Also partly because it's the Mother loving Holocaust, bruh.

Also Bruce Dickinson and his wife at the time (now deceased) came to my wedding since he was friends with my wife, his cousin Rob (lead singer of Catherine Wheel) founded Singer Porsche and wrote 3 of their songs about my (previously mentioned) wife. I've ridden in Singer #1 multiple times, it's now in the basement of the Petersen Museum.

If the curriculum insists, I will forget all of it

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

All I learned about WW1/2 was from watching tons of the History Channel when I was a kid with my stepdad. Back when it, ya know, had history stuff.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_War_(TV_series)

I'm not quite That Old but I remember watching this (late 70's) while many of the participants were still alive. Hard to quantify now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I have definitely watched all of that. Really sticks with you.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The losses of WW1 are insane. Makes the (equally insane) losses in WWII seem trivial.

Not quite as bad as Nikki Haley doing a victory speech after losing New Hampshire by 20% but equally horrific

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

A World Undone is a really great and engaging book for anyone who wants a great primer on the events leading to and unfolding during the Great War.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByAn8DF8Ykk

It actually looks GOOD

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Ether Frenzy posted:

I have no idea what our high school syllabus was about but I still know about The Holocaust. Partly because the information was all sorts of present before right wing governments hid it and slavery due to "woke". Also partly because it's the Mother loving Holocaust, bruh.

Also Bruce Dickinson and his wife at the time (now deceased) came to my wedding since he was friends with my wife, his cousin Rob (lead singer of Catherine Wheel) founded Singer Porsche and wrote 3 of their songs about my (previously mentioned) wife. I've ridden in Singer #1 multiple times, it's now in the basement of the Petersen Museum.

If the curriculum insists, I will forget all of it

Did they request their own music at your wedding?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

LeeMajors posted:

A World Undone is a really great and engaging book for anyone who wants a great primer on the events leading to and unfolding during the Great War.

Seconding this as a "easy" to digest history of the time. The audiobook is very well narrated. Also, "The Guns of August" is another very good "primer" to what is essentially an endless and bottomless category of history to learn that is rarely superceded by lazy half hours on the TV now.

trevorreznik posted:

Did they request their own music at your wedding?

They did not. The piper playing my wife into the venue is about all I remember from that evening, couldn't tell you what the tunes he played were. But neither of the Dickinson boys have ever struck me as self-involved. Side note, Bruce is also a fully certified airline pilot and flies a regular route for Virgin Atlantic in their few remaining 747's.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
On WW1 chat I'm currently reading The Sleepwalkers, which I do want to say is a good book in my opinion. e: (this is not what I would call an easy intro to the subject, there are a lot of three dollar words and footnotes involved) It's not about the war but tries to explain why the war happened. But most of my enjoyment comes from ridiculous British names from the 1880s to 1910s. We have some doozies in there that were very important for one reason or another.

Early 90's high school: I didn't learn a damned thing about world war 1 other than a passing reference to way too many alliances that didn't work out, which doesn't explain things. Everything I've learned about WW1 (which is obviously a lot to cover) comes from other sources and just reading stuff.

We spent more time on world war 2 and I definitely got the holocaust. Korea was mentioned and skipped other than the split. Then Vietnam got some time, but mostly very America friendly time. We were definitely not covering Cambodia. Then the school year ended and we didn't really get into the whole Nixon thing or what came later.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 24, 2024

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ether Frenzy posted:

They did not. The piper playing my wife into the venue is about all I remember from that evening, couldn't tell you what the tunes he played were. But neither of the Dickinson boys have ever struck me as self-involved. Side note, Bruce is also a fully certified airline pilot and flies a regular route for Virgin Atlantic in their few remaining 747's.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I played at the wedding of two friends a few years ago and they requested heavy metal. I played excerpts of Iron Maiden's 'Fear of the Dark', the Scorpions' 'Wild Child', and AC/DC's 'Thunderstruck'.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There isn't a good explanation for WW1, all the other pointless wars with mass causalities you can kinda explain, but WW1 is just "Every single major political power is going to be a loving idiot and send all their able bodied men to their death."

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

8 blokes from our family went to France and 2 came back, that's why I'm alive today. WE WANT YOU TO GO TO FRANCE AND BE MACHINE GUNNED IN YOUR HUNDREDS AND THOUSANDS GOD SAVE THE KING who is safely holed up in his big loving castle supporting the Germans.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Air Skwirl posted:

There isn't a good explanation for WW1, all the other pointless wars with mass causalities you can kinda explain, but WW1 is just "Every single major political power is going to be a loving idiot and send all their able bodied men to their death."

To quote J Cole, pride is the devil

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Air Skwirl posted:

The explanation for WWI was that a variety of relatively minor but emergent powers had over-inflated sense of worth while simultaneously having access to cheap and relatively reliable munitions that were previously only used against completely outnumbered foes in colonial acquisition campaigns.

Media did not have the capacity to bring the horror of the battlefield to the public quickly enough, the idea of 'valor' in war was still present due to the previous era of warfare being extremely one-sided affairs (the end stage of European power/colonialism being brought about by oil powered transport & mechanization vs iron age powers, which made the idea of conquest "simplistic" for most of the WWI powers, until they faced each other.)

The majority of soldiers in the conflict were just on the cusp of the social revolution that happened in the early 20th century, so there was no "I'll go work in the OTHER factory" as an option and the majority of combatants in that war were economically indebted/ingratiated to the "social betters" of their local village/command much like previous wars, but the advance of artillery and reliable guns resulted in a far more devastating result.

The technology of war in the early 20th century was far more efficient than the tactics of war at that time and the medicine of the time, and the people who suffered from that mismatch were beholden to the equally egregious mismatch of social leverage that fell apart shortly after the war mostly due to the advance in industry and mechanization that were perfected by the war. Too late for 20 million people, but a very interesting social change in US and European attitudes towards a great many things.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

My AP World History class ended at Franz Ferdinand. The AP test was… an adventure.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's a banger of a song though.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Grittybeard posted:

On WW1 chat I'm currently reading The Sleepwalkers, which I do want to say is a good book in my opinion. e: (this is not what I would call an easy intro to the subject, there are a lot of three dollar words and footnotes involved) It's not about the war but tries to explain why the war happened. But most of my enjoyment comes from ridiculous British names from the 1880s to 1910s. We have some doozies in there that were very important for one reason or another.

Early 90's high school: I didn't learn a damned thing about world war 1 other than a passing reference to way too many alliances that didn't work out, which doesn't explain things. Everything I've learned about WW1 (which is obviously a lot to cover) comes from other sources and just reading stuff.

We spent more time on world war 2 and I definitely got the holocaust. Korea was mentioned and skipped other than the split. Then Vietnam got some time, but mostly very America friendly time. We were definitely not covering Cambodia. Then the school year ended and we didn't really get into the whole Nixon thing or what came later.
I really enjoyed The Sleepwalkers, but then I love history. I feel like it does a good job of examining what these dumb asses were thinking.

I've also read three different books about the peace process and it cannot be emphasized enough how loving criminally negligent, insane, and racist the process was. But my favorite one about the aftermath was definitely The Vanquished: Why The First World War Failed to end, because it examines the countries that either lost the war(Germany, Russia, Turkey and other usual suspects) or subsequently lost the peace (Italy and Greece, for example) and how incredibly hosed up their experiences were and how those experiences sowed the seeds of WW2 while fighting born out of WW1 was still going.

But yeah, history curriculum in school sucks. But here in CT we had an entire Holocaust segment in our...English class? The teacher was an old Jewish lady, I kind of feel like she came up with it, but it was actually pretty good.
Outside of that, I didn't get any in-depth look into the Holocaust until college.

Kurgarra Queen fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

My AP World History class ended at Franz Ferdinand. The AP test was… an adventure.

Mine covered only European history, but I pulled a 4 due to my incredible powers of bullshit and incredibly western focused test writers :v:

LeeMajors posted:

Seconding, great book.

Also if you want a fun watch, the great war channel ran a series of weekly 10-15 minute videos covering the events of WW1 by the week that ran for 5 years. I don't recall anything terribly racist or problematic outside of him mis-pronouncing way less stuff then I do, and occasionally quoting weepy poetry about how pointless war is

https://www.youtube.com/@TheGreatWar/playlists

Kalli fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 24, 2024