Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

The Puppy Bowl posted:

McCarthy over Penix seems strange to me. Both have concerns but I'd put a lot more faith in Penix being a value add if you build the right offense around. McCarthy seems like a game manager at his ceiling.

Penix has some god-awful injury concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yup and he's a lot older than you'd like. I'd still put him comfortably above McCarthy as a prospect.

Of course with injury stuff nobody knows until the NFL docs take a look at him. Maybe nobody knows even then.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Since we're talking about QB's I asked a friend what he thought about this class since he likes scouting them (he also had Lamar as the best QB in that class) and here's his takes

quote:

i did a very surface level first pass through the top 6 QB prospects last night. very brief thoughts, very subject to change:

-jayden daniels is good. just a classic dual threat guy with good passing fundamentals and great straight line speed. i think he has a good chance to end up in that allen/burrow/herbert tier of QB. i don't have a lot to say, and that's a good thing.
-caleb williams is frustrating. i think this is a trevor lawrence situation. he's been hyped as "obvious #1 generational talent" for so long that people just kinda stopped watching him. i did not like what i saw. holds the ball way too long, doesn't play in structure, extremely inconsistent mechanics leading to inconsistent throws. the problem with drafting a guy who plays like mahomes without mahomes tools is that it doesn't work. i'd be scared to draft him.
-bo nix! yeah, this class doesn't have much i'm excited about. i love his easy arm strength. figuring out how to utilize it in a way that doesn't just lead to a ton of picks is gonna be the challenge. doesn't appear to have consistent accuracy or strong reads, so he's gonna need an OC to make it easy for him.
-jj mccarthy, i guess. michigan didn't ask him to do anything. he has pretty good physical tools, but probably needs to sit for two years. i never like drafting a guy who needs to sit for at least two years and doesn't project to have elite tools. kinda kills the value of a rookie contract. hard to do a good evaluation given what he was asked to do.
-drake maye. he's not good. he can't throw and he can't run. i'm not sure why he's a top 5 pick. maybe a 5th round pick?
-michael penix. he even more can't throw and even more can't run and i don't think i'd draft him unless i was miami and wanted a backup LH QB

As a side note if the Vikings draft McCarthy I'll probably have a little bit of a meltdown because watching him in the CFP I see nothing that interests me at the NFL level.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Mccarthy on the 1st to the seahawks is just so lazy. It reads like "don't know who the coach will be and geno is not the long term answer so here's a QB I guess"

Mccarthy is like the definition of JAG at the NFL level and who thinks he wouldn't be available in the 2nd or 3rd round anyway??

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

EmbryoSteve posted:

Mccarthy on the 1st to the seahawks is just so lazy. It reads like "don't know who the coach will be and geno is not the long term answer so here's a QB I guess"

Mccarthy is like the definition of JAG at the NFL level and who thinks he wouldn't be available in the 2nd or 3rd round anyway??

I would love the Seahawks to draft a DB or OLine round 1.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Whipped this up quickly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Yeah we desperately need interior linemen on both sides of the ball and McCarthy is not just a reach, it's an altogether bad fit for what we need most.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I remember getting flak in this very thread when I said McCarthy was a first round pick.

Teams can't help themselves when they see the arm talent. He's definitely a project though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you want a project with arm talent, Joe Milton is right there in the lower rounds. He both has twice the arm talent and is also twice the project!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
A pro bowler by his second season? not bad!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kirios posted:

I remember getting flak in this very thread when I said McCarthy was a first round pick.

Teams can't help themselves when they see the arm talent. He's definitely a project though.

JJ McCarthy *shouldn’t* be a first round pick but that doesn’t mean he won’t be. I doubt he will be, but teams do dumb poo poo all the time.

Likewise I don’t think Penix is a worth a first but it could happen.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Operation: Let Herbie Sling It

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Any draft with the Titans getting Joe Alt is a good draft imo

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mega64 posted:

Any draft with the Titans getting Joe Alt is a good draft imo

Say less

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

JJ has maybe the emptiest tape of any player I've seen. Like, Josh Allen had plenty of things to dissect even if most of them were bad

JJ somehow played 2+ years where he didnt actually do anything

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kirios posted:

I feel like his arm is the last thing about JJ's game I would call talent

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
I’m waiting for people to watch enough Drake Maye tape to realize he’s a candidate for the Jake Locker “gently caress it I’m out” award for guys who do not protect themselves and take away all their actual advantages with stupid decision making and nonsense scrambles. Wanna find out what Josh Allen does if he isn’t a giant indestructible cyborg that got retaught how to play football? Sign here!

JJ is just the ultimate football guy horoscope. There’s no sample size for any throw on his tape so pick whatever you think is real. At all. Deep layers? Like 2-3. Hard outs? A few here and there. He literally never had to do anything and basically avoided putting outt bad tape by not putting out anything. If I had to guess, he’s more interception prone than we see, solely off of his motion doing a bit of aiming the ball like Watson or Zach Wilson. He has the tools to do quite a bit, but I hate his footwork on the run, he just kind of jumps and submarines himself into balls when he gathers, which works until someone cuts their grass differently and your cleats make you miss a guy 10 yards short into an NFL safety.

One of you needs to suck it up and draft Rattler. He’s still way too arrogant deep, but he’s going to throw some sick vertical concepts in between getting screamed at for turnovers

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I still don't think JJ goes before the third.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

IcePhoenix posted:

Since we're talking about QB's I asked a friend what he thought about this class since he likes scouting them (he also had Lamar as the best QB in that class) and here's his takes

As a side note if the Vikings draft McCarthy I'll probably have a little bit of a meltdown because watching him in the CFP I see nothing that interests me at the NFL level.

Your friend is very bad and wrong at the things he said about the QBs

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

JJ McCarthy's ceiling is Malik Willis now

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Malik Washington is gonna be a steal forever picks him up.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I highly recommend everyone picking a random low ranked QB that balls out in college to hang your hat on you look like a genius if you're right

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Seems an average of 4 WR's are taken in the 1st round going from the past 6 seasons so either Troy Franklin or Brian Thomas jr should go to the chiefs. I hope.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

BlindSite posted:

I still don't think JJ goes before the third.

QB shaped object will go sooner

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Fat Jesus posted:

Seems an average of 4 WR's are taken in the 1st round going from the past 6 seasons so either Troy Franklin or Brian Thomas jr should go to the chiefs. I hope.

I think Thomas will be long gone. Franklin might make it.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

TheGreyGhost posted:

I’m waiting for people to watch enough Drake Maye tape to realize he’s a candidate for the Jake Locker “gently caress it I’m out” award for guys who do not protect themselves and take away all their actual advantages with stupid decision making and nonsense scrambles. Wanna find out what Josh Allen does if he isn’t a giant indestructible cyborg that got retaught how to play football? Sign here!

JJ is just the ultimate football guy horoscope. There’s no sample size for any throw on his tape so pick whatever you think is real. At all. Deep layers? Like 2-3. Hard outs? A few here and there. He literally never had to do anything and basically avoided putting outt bad tape by not putting out anything. If I had to guess, he’s more interception prone than we see, solely off of his motion doing a bit of aiming the ball like Watson or Zach Wilson. He has the tools to do quite a bit, but I hate his footwork on the run, he just kind of jumps and submarines himself into balls when he gathers, which works until someone cuts their grass differently and your cleats make you miss a guy 10 yards short into an NFL safety.

One of you needs to suck it up and draft Rattler. He’s still way too arrogant deep, but he’s going to throw some sick vertical concepts in between getting screamed at for turnovers

I did a few mocks during lunch and was able to get rattler in the 3rd a bunch. A good shot imo and if the hawks can't move up for Daniel's I'm all for rattler in the 3rd to sit behind geno for a year (as.of.jan 2023)

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

wandler20 posted:

I think Thomas will be long gone. Franklin might make it.

Well here's hoping. Think the Chiefs will take one or the other if they can or a OL and try sign Marquis Brown or somebody nice. I'm pretty confident MVS and Hardman are gone and they'll fix the WR poo poo one way or another.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

TheGreyGhost posted:

Finally Jameis can pass the torch.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Fat Jesus posted:

Well here's hoping. Think the Chiefs will take one or the other if they can or a OL and try sign Marquis Brown or somebody nice. I'm pretty confident MVS and Hardman are gone and they'll fix the WR poo poo one way or another.

I think they will end up going DL. No real shot at keeping CJ nor will they be able to afford any quality FA.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doltos posted:

I highly recommend everyone picking a random low ranked QB that balls out in college to hang your hat on you look like a genius if you're right

Get ready for the Reese Poffenbarger Era

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

LiquidFriend posted:

I think they will end up going DL. No real shot at keeping CJ nor will they be able to afford any quality FA.

we're moving Patrick's money to 2035, not like the salary cap is real, is it?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Fat Jesus posted:

we're moving Patrick's money to 2035, not like the salary cap is real, is it?

Just give Michael Pittman Jr $25m per.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Doltos posted:

This is Hendon Hooker's year

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Fat Jesus posted:

It’s a fantastic draft for the Chiefs because there’s so much WR and OT talent. They could plausibly get a day 1 starting RT or WR at the end of round 1. Heck maybe even a LT if the board goes right.

And it’s a nice FA class for WRs too.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Ornery and Hornery posted:

It’s a fantastic draft for the Chiefs because there’s so much WR and OT talent. They could plausibly get a day 1 starting RT or WR at the end of round 1. Heck maybe even a LT if the board goes right.

And it’s a nice FA class for WRs too.

Yep, and that's why I don't agree with them getting a D line guy, too much talent elsewhere. I got a strong feeling they want to keep Mahomes happy and spending their 1st pick on D won't do that. He's the team.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/FootballEJ/status/1749838140712603950

Good year to need WRs indeed. Those contracts for Pittman/Higgins/et al might end up being surprisingly reasonable too with all this new talent coming in

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nosre posted:

https://twitter.com/FootballEJ/status/1749838140712603950

Good year to need WRs indeed. Those contracts for Pittman/Higgins/et al might end up being surprisingly reasonable too with all this new talent coming in

Hoping Dan Morgan does the needful and goes after one.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Doltos posted:

This is a good idea. I'm going to be so clever when Carter Bradley turns out to be the next Brock Purdy.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Fat Jesus posted:

Yep, and that's why I don't agree with them getting a D line guy, too much talent elsewhere. I got a strong feeling they want to keep Mahomes happy and spending their 1st pick on D won't do that. He's the team.

I think this will be Offence heavy draft for the Chiefs even if they pick a IDL like Newton at the end of the 1st. They could plausibly double dip in WR and OT and/or target TE in Day 2 or 3. However, there is one IDL that is currently under contract for the 2024 season, so they will need to target it, especially if Jones goes after testing the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

RIP to teams who need a Tight End.