Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

priznat posted:

Any sense of how they're selling ie were the dealers doing any kind of negotiation or was it msrp or +? I'm curious how motivated they are to deal it might swing me into going for it.

I got mine at MSRP. The dealer here in California had a bunch on the lot, they didn't seem like they had a ton of bargaining power (e.g., they couldn't argue this was the last one and I gotta get it now now now since I could see several more just sitting there).

Beyond that I don't really know, I don't have much experience negotiating car prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Found an empty, snowy and icy parking lot that I could use to test the low-traction handling do donuts with my RWD ID.4. (Combination of not a significant amount of accumulation, about 1-2 inches, and the local municipalities doing too good of a job too quickly left much the roads and lots clean the day after the blizzard.)

Okay, not really donuts because it wasn't quite big enough for me to comfortably do it safely and it was a partial gravel lot so I didn't want to push my luck throwing up any gravel that could ding up the car. I was at least able to swing it more than 180 and never felt like I was out of control in part thanks to traction control. Not at all like an out of control death trap that my parents assumed all RWD cars are. I think their prejudice comes from driving American malaise-era shitboxes and RWD and the tire technology of the time did them no favors.

Wish I had a bit more space to work with (and not worry about throwing up debris) to see where the car's limit is and more accumulation to see how it deals with it. At least I can have some degree of confidence that the ID.4 can handle some snow and ice to an extent even with RWD and stock all-season tires and can depend on it during inclimate weather in a pinch.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What a nice car, congrats. How's the cargo space? Can the third row disappear into the floor?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I got mine at MSRP. The dealer here in California had a bunch on the lot, they didn't seem like they had a ton of bargaining power (e.g., they couldn't argue this was the last one and I gotta get it now now now since I could see several more just sitting there).

Beyond that I don't really know, I don't have much experience negotiating car prices.

Nice, glad to hear it’s getting more sane for EVs and not having to go over msrp. I’m usually a pay around msrp then go hard on extras and my trade in, I dunno if that is an effective strategy or not it’s just how I roll.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Nitrox posted:

What a nice car, congrats. How's the cargo space? Can the third row disappear into the floor?

With the third row up, the trunk is a bit small. Still enough for everyday use like groceries.

With the third row down, there's large amount of cargo space.

With the third and second rows down, there's a colossal amount of cargo space (my skis fit easily).

It also has a roof rack and I have a cargo box. This will hurt my mileage of course, but with the roof box this thing has just a silly amount of cargo space. My wife and I anticipate being able to drive ourselves, our kid, our dog, and all the stuff all three of us need for skiing, to Lake Tahoe in one vehicle. Oh, and with all that in the vehicle we still think we'll have room for one passenger -- we anticipate fitting all of that in the vehicle with the third row folded down and the cargo box on top.

That specific trip (which we do regularly) is why we wanted a large car.

The third row does not fold into the floor.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 23, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh yeah if the 3rd row is folded is there a cargo net or something for dogs to go in the back there especially with the captains chairs?

I showed my wife the ev9 and she veto’s it as she doesn’t like the looks I don’t get it I think it looks very good. She won’t get a minivan either which would be ideal. Her reason why is because “she doesn’t want to be the mom that has to drive other people’s kids around “ I don’t get it either.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cruft posted:

Battery Janitoring:

Every modern EV I know of will help you not have to worry about the battery, except maybe the LEAF :sigh:.

Most will make 100% actually be like 90% or something. Telsa lets 100% be 100%, but automatically turns your max down after a couple days and sends you a little note like "don't make a habit of going all the way up to 100".

But the short version is that this isn't something anybody needs to worry about. Except maybe LEAF owners. Just use the car in the way that works best for you.

(It will work best for you if you plug it in every night)

Janitor as hard as you want, the 30kWh packs will commit suicide anyways. The newer 40kWh packs are supposed to be substantially better.

Edward IV posted:

. Not at all like an out of control death trap that my parents assumed all RWD cars are. I think their prejudice comes from driving American malaise-era shitboxes and RWD and the tire technology of the time did them no favors.

I drove through multiple Upstate NY blizzards in my old Mustang, no problems with the proper snow tires on it. All the RWD snow murder machine BS is people trying to drive them with lovely/old/wrong/all3 tires, and not knowing how to deal with oversteer. A lot of people would prefer to gently understeer their FWD car with improper tires into a snow bank instead.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Elviscat posted:

Janitor as hard as you want, the 30kWh packs will commit suicide anyways. The newer 40kWh packs are supposed to be substantially better.

Lots of chatter on various Leaf forums about weak cells in early 40kWh packs so it'll be interesting to see if it's a widespread problem.

The issue is only apparent under high loads (especially in low temperatures) so on an around town only Leaf the owner may never even notice.

I've done 500km over the past couple of days in my 28kWh Ioniq and remain impressed at how well it holds up with repeated fast charging - I didn't see any throttling with three charges in a day (on a Leaf the last charge would have been painfully slow)

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

crossposting

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm the 'We <3 Greta T.' sticker.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I hope I can ask some car-obtaining advice on EVs here. My wife is getting transferred to Switzerland for her job, and one of the perks is a company car. Since she's working for an industrial company that focuses on electrification, the options we were given by HR are all electric vehicles. That's cool, we've always wanted one (realistically our next car was going to be a hybrid until we can actually own a house with our own charging station), but I have no idea what these models/trims are (if her HR even gave us the actual trim names because Googling isn't coming up with some of these). I'm pretty sure they're all SUVs which we like because we also have a newborn so we'll need the extra space. Given this list, are there any that are objectively better/worse than the others, or are there any red flags we need to look out for when looking at the vehicles?

What's the difference between the BMW iX 50 and iX3 'Impressive' ? I can't find details on that trim (I assume Impressive is a trim of an iX3?)
With an Audi Q4 e-tron v a Q8 e-tron, from what I can gather the Q8 is the Q4's bigger, stronger sibling?
WIth the Polestar 2 4x4, I've been told I'll keep banging my head on the roof getting in/out, which sounds like it'd get old fast.
The VW ID.4 GTX Plus, having more power and AWD of the GTX is good for sure, but it looks more like a wagon to me than an SUV?
Skoda Enyaq iV80 4x4, honestly I have never heard of Skoda before being given this list and know nothing about it in comparison to BMW/Audi/VW.

Any tips/things to look out for/avoid for these models?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

https://jalopnik.com/watch-a-hyundai-ioniq-5-n-lap-the-nurburgring-quicker-t-1851186903

This is the only thing that would get me out of my 3, assuming it's comfortable.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Just as I was thinking that the ID4 was pretty much my new benchmark car for “how much car does anyone need”, the lift gate latch got stuck in the closed/locked position, but with the lift gate open.

So every time the lift gate tries to close, the latch just hits the strike plate, as it’s at best half-closed, and goes to fully closed when you push on it.

Earliest date VW could offer to look at it was Friday. I found what seems like a similar / the same issue on a forum in Germany, and they had to have the latch mechanism swapped out.

In the e meanwhile the app keeps bothering me that “a window is open”, but no errors otherwise.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I took a few quick photos of my new EV9. See the shared album here.

Let me know what else on it you'd like to see a picture of / know more about. A few quick things you'll see in the photos:

- One of the small but smart touches I like is the buttons on the side of the front passenger seat - they let someone sitting in the rear adjust the seat in case their knees are being crunched (there's no equivalent buttons on the driver seat since screwing with their chair while they're driving is a terrible idea.) When kiddo is a bit older I do wonder if they'll mess with the buttons though.

My father in law used to have a ~2015 Volvo with controls for an executive being chauffeured in the back seat to adjust the front of passenger seat position. There was a button to turn them off, but they were very funny to use on an unsuspecting person.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

dissss posted:

Lots of chatter on various Leaf forums about weak cells in early 40kWh packs so it'll be interesting to see if it's a widespread problem.

The issue is only apparent under high loads (especially in low temperatures) so on an around town only Leaf the owner may never even notice.

I've done 500km over the past couple of days in my 28kWh Ioniq and remain impressed at how well it holds up with repeated fast charging - I didn't see any throttling with three charges in a day (on a Leaf the last charge would have been painfully slow)

Yea, That was my issue with a 2020 40 kwh pack in my 2016.
when its below -5 ish, going down the highway, range will drop to near zero. Lay off the power, voltage will rise back up, range goes back up. Never held it long enough for turtle or shutdown, but last time I experienced it was 2021, who knows now with 20k km more on the pack.
Basically you can't load the pack at all or the voltage drops, so when its cold you stay in town or use the gas car.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Thanks to biznatchio and Chimp_On_Stilts for the car pictures! We're getting a nice variety in here!

Fhqwhgads posted:

I hope I can ask some car-obtaining advice on EVs here. My wife is getting transferred to Switzerland for her job, and one of the perks is a company car. Since she's working for an industrial company that focuses on electrification, the options we were given by HR are all electric vehicles. That's cool, we've always wanted one (realistically our next car was going to be a hybrid until we can actually own a house with our own charging station), but I have no idea what these models/trims are (if her HR even gave us the actual trim names because Googling isn't coming up with some of these). I'm pretty sure they're all SUVs which we like because we also have a newborn so we'll need the extra space. Given this list, are there any that are objectively better/worse than the others, or are there any red flags we need to look out for when looking at the vehicles?

What's the difference between the BMW iX 50 and iX3 'Impressive' ? I can't find details on that trim (I assume Impressive is a trim of an iX3?)
With an Audi Q4 e-tron v a Q8 e-tron, from what I can gather the Q8 is the Q4's bigger, stronger sibling?
WIth the Polestar 2 4x4, I've been told I'll keep banging my head on the roof getting in/out, which sounds like it'd get old fast.
The VW ID.4 GTX Plus, having more power and AWD of the GTX is good for sure, but it looks more like a wagon to me than an SUV?
Skoda Enyaq iV80 4x4, honestly I have never heard of Skoda before being given this list and know nothing about it in comparison to BMW/Audi/VW.

How much do you have to contribute to the company car? Insurance? Charging? Because if the company is paying, then the iX 50 or the Q8 e-Tron are the picks, especially with a kiddo.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I'll need to get more concrete info from her HR, but to hear it from the wife they're paying for everything. We don't have to contribute to the purchase price of the car, either. Not sure how they'd do charging, probably some reimbursement system. Even if they weren't, I'd think paying for just the ancillaries like insurance, maintenance, and charging would be a pittance compared to the car itself.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Fhqwhgads posted:

What's the difference between a station wagon and an SUV and why does it matter?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

What's the difference between a station wagon and an SUV and why does it matter?

My purely irrational emotional reaction to station wagons.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

rented a polestar 2 recently and I'm 6'1 and I had no problem getting in and out without banging my head.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Polestar 2 has a completely normal car door opening, if you're hitting your head on that then you're probably also hitting your head on anything that isn't a huge sliding van door

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m 5’11 and have given myself some good whacks on the doorframe of the Polestar 2, including on top of the shoulder (that one really hurt). From my sitting position I could lean left a bit and touch the frame with the top of my head.

Your experience will vary based on your proportions but the car doesn’t give you a lot of margin.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'll need to get more concrete info from her HR, but to hear it from the wife they're paying for everything. We don't have to contribute to the purchase price of the car, either. Not sure how they'd do charging, probably some reimbursement system. Even if they weren't, I'd think paying for just the ancillaries like insurance, maintenance, and charging would be a pittance compared to the car itself.

If there is no cost difference between them all she should get the iX 10 out of 10 times

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Definitely factor in taxes related to total comp. I know when I worked in Europe yeah you could get a car lease but there were some negatives around how you got taxed and how your pension contributions were affected based on that lease. Size is also a factor in a negative way, big SUVs suck in European cities. My xc40 was large for most Swedish parking lots as an example.

In short I would ask a co-worker for their suggestions too, especially around taxes and size of car.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

https://jalopnik.com/watch-a-hyundai-ioniq-5-n-lap-the-nurburgring-quicker-t-1851186903

This is the only thing that would get me out of my 3, assuming it's comfortable.

It is ridiculous that VW isn’t doing a bananas Type R or GTI if this sells well and it probably will.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, hoping to get a bit of direction here on next steps. When I moved into my current home 2.5 years ago, I had an electrician run whichever gauge wire was appropriate to support a 50a breaker with the idea of upgrading my existing clippercreek charger to a better one down the road, and he installed the 30a rated CC for me that is not about 5 years old.

Two weeks ago, right when a huge cold snap hit us, the clipper creek started throwing power fault errors and not charging my Volt. Checked the panel, breaker wasn't tripped, cycled it a few times and attempted to charge with the same result. Temps have risen here and went to try it again, same result.

How can I best diagnose if the issue is with the wiring or the charger itself? I have no qualms about ordering a 50a rated charger today (any recommendations? I don't have an outlet but current one is hard wired) but want to ensure I don't run into the same issue as the same one if it's the wiring.

Not sure how to diagnose this and am only a capable electrician when the breakers are turned off and it's very obvious work to be done. Wiring like for like wires, etc so installing a new one is likely no problem for me.

Appreciate any insights!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

The Polestar 2 has a completely normal car door opening, if you're hitting your head on that then you're probably also hitting your head on anything that isn't a huge sliding van door

If you're 6'4"+ there's an enormous amount of variation in "normal car door opening."

Getting in and out of my wife's Xterra requires odd contortioning like I'm trying to suck my own dick. Getting in and out of a Mach-e is more normal except I scrape the back of my head every time and it'll yank my hat off. Getting in and out of a 2012 Camry is similar but not as bad. Getting in and out of a 3 is good, rarely scrape my head, but does require leaning on the center console as I swing my legs in. Getting into my Bronco is totally normal. As is a Y. As is a Forester.

It's one of the things that pissed me off about the Mach. How can a CUV have significantly worse ingress/egress ergonomics than a sedan?

Not everything is the same.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 23, 2024

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I am neither big nor tall and the polestar 2 was the most cramped I’ve ever felt in a car. Reminder I used to drive a spark EV.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

If you're 6'4"+ there's an enormous amount of variation in "normal car door opening."

Getting in and out of my wife's Xterra requires odd contortioning like I'm trying to suck my own dick. Getting in and out of a Mach-e is more normal except I scrape the back of my head every time and it'll yank my hat off. Getting in and out of a 2012 Camry is similar but not as bad. Getting in and out of a 3 is good, rarely scrape my head, but does require leaning on the center console as I swing my legs in. Getting into my Bronco is totally normal. As is a Y. As is a Forester.

It's one of the things that pissed me off about the Mach. How can a CUV have significantly worse ingress/egress ergonomics than a sedan?

Not everything is the same.

Can confirm, it is always the first part of my car buying before doing too much research was “how is it to get in and out of” and some cars can surprise you.

Also how well I can fit my knees under the steering column.

As an old I am just on the cusp of finding lower cars uncomfortable to get in and out of with only the occasional extra grunt as I lever myself up.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, hoping to get a bit of direction here on next steps. When I moved into my current home 2.5 years ago, I had an electrician run whichever gauge wire was appropriate to support a 50a breaker with the idea of upgrading my existing clippercreek charger to a better one down the road, and he installed the 30a rated CC for me that is not about 5 years old.

Two weeks ago, right when a huge cold snap hit us, the clipper creek started throwing power fault errors and not charging my Volt. Checked the panel, breaker wasn't tripped, cycled it a few times and attempted to charge with the same result. Temps have risen here and went to try it again, same result.

How can I best diagnose if the issue is with the wiring or the charger itself? I have no qualms about ordering a 50a rated charger today (any recommendations? I don't have an outlet but current one is hard wired) but want to ensure I don't run into the same issue as the same one if it's the wiring.

Not sure how to diagnose this and am only a capable electrician when the breakers are turned off and it's very obvious work to be done. Wiring like for like wires, etc so installing a new one is likely no problem for me.

Appreciate any insights!

The first thing I would do is open the panel and the charger and visually inspect the contacts. It's possible something shortened just enough to get weird, and needs to be clamped down.

If you are not comfortable doing that, then you should call out an electrician. It could be that your EVSE has flaked out, but it could also be that it's accurately reporting that something is fishing with the electricity coming in.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It could be a bad contact in the breaker, residential grade breakers really seem to hate being loaded to 80% for long periods.

If you have a multimeter and are comfortable doing so, verifying a 240V output would be a good first step.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Elviscat posted:

It could be a bad contact in the breaker, residential grade breakers really seem to hate being loaded to 80% for long periods.

If you have a multimeter and are comfortable doing so, verifying a 240V output would be a good first step.

I will look and see what that entails and see my comfort level with it. It's a 50A breaker and the EVSE is rated for 30A, so I think the load on it is way less than 80%. I'm going to pull apart the box where the hardwiring to the EVSE is and take a look to see if it somehow is having an issue there. I think I can also remove the housing of the EVSE and check the contacts there also.

It's an aged EVSE and the charging cable is kinked to all hell, many parts of the insulation are cut up and MAYBE exposing some of the wires itself. It may just be that thing is shorting out there also.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, it could be the thing that's beat to poo poo that isn't working well.

I'd say go buy a new evse and see if it works. If it does, problem solved! If it doesn't, you should continue getting your problem solved but still keep the new equipment.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Wayne Knight posted:

Yeah, it could be the thing that's beat to poo poo that isn't working well.

I'd say go buy a new evse and see if it works. If it does, problem solved! If it doesn't, you should continue getting your problem solved but still keep the new equipment.

Thanks, feels like the right course of action. Any recommended EVSE's for 50A charging? I don't feel like I need any fancy features like apps/etc, just raw POWER DELIVERY.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I can understand if you don't want to, but the latest Tesla wall charger that does J1772 and NACS is generally well regarded and priced competitively.

Costco has a wallbox and the juicebox, each 40amp, for $500. I know my warehouse has them in-store, so you might be able to pick one up today if you're eager.

I have the juicebox, and it works fine. A lot of people have issues with its connectivity, but I solve that problem by never using the app, ever.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Wayne Knight posted:

I can understand if you don't want to, but the latest Tesla wall charger that does J1772 and NACS is generally well regarded and priced competitively.

Costco has a wallbox and the juicebox, each 40amp, for $500. I know my warehouse has them in-store, so you might be able to pick one up today if you're eager.

Any reason I shouldn't go for a charger than maxes out my 50A breaker? Or to the point made above, going with a 40A is still fast enough charging AND doesn't wear on a residential breaker as much?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Code is that your continuous load be 80% of the breaker's rating. 40A does max that out.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Wayne Knight posted:

Code is that your continuous load be 80% of the breaker's rating. 40A does max that out.

Good to know, I'll dial down my search accordingly!

Both the Costco ones have plugs, the Clipper Creek EVSE that I had was a hard wired connection. It shouldn't be too difficult to install an outlet, right? Both those Costco ones are plugs, so maybe I'll take to Amazon for a hardwired solution if it'll be advisable.

Appreciate the suggestions! Likely getting an iD.4 in the coming days, so want to be ready to charge it with more than the 120v that my Volt is living on since that fault occurred.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Someone else should chime in since I installed an outlet, but I think they can be hardwired instead of using the included plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah almost all of those have options to remove the plug adapter and go hard wired, it’s super easy (I have a ChargePoint that comes with the plug which I removed to hardwire)

They have lever connectors it’s easier than connecting up speakers in the olden days (albeit more potentially dangerous if you forget to turn off the breaker don’t do that)