Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just remembered that Jax's magic power wasn't to give him robot arms but to take his pathetic robot arms and turn them into big beefy robot arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

muscles like this! posted:

Just remembered that Jax's magic power wasn't to give him robot arms but to take his pathetic robot arms and turn them into big beefy robot arms.

That was hilarious. At least they had a little fun with the magic markers with that and Kano being hype for his laser eye, but it's overall a lame concept and was handled messily. Like, god loving drat it, Cole's power was lame.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The most fun part was Kano's lines being largely improvised. Josh Lawson did a great job hamming it up as a degenerate scumbag. I will say that "Got a pen? Write this down: gently caress off" is probably the most authentic Australian dialog I've seen from a Hollywood production.

The movie needed more of that and less COLE YOUNG MAGIC SHIRT. The actor wasn't bad, but like, why create a new dude when Mortal Kombat has ample dudes already?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cacator posted:

I dunno what yall are complaining about, I loved seeing the escapades of my favourite original character COLE YOUNG and the birthmark that gives him special powers!

Meanwhile nobody complains when the games add new characters

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I had very few expectations for the MK movie and it stank

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Len posted:

Well yeah because they usually add crazy poo poo like vampires or blood wizards or Robocop. If Mortal Kombat 2 introduces a character as boring as Cole Young I’m sure they’ll get poo poo for it

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Len posted:

I won't blame anybody for holding movies to slightly higher standards than video games. At least the MK games are insane in a fun way, the movie felt like someone threw three different scripts in the air and filmed whatever landed in the circle on the ground.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Len posted:

People complained so much the new game had to add a scene where they specifically kill the new characters.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked the many locations they visited such as Cole's house which was then reused for Sonya's apartment, a cave, a gym, and the same gym but cold now.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

movies shot during COVID really do be like that

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I want a Mortal Kombat that apes the Last Starfighter and takes some awkward teen playing an MK machine in a bowling alley in Kansas and teleports them to the Outworld for a tournament based on their video game skills

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When are the John Wick and Mortal Combat movies going to do a crossover

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cacator posted:

I dunno what yall are complaining about, I loved seeing the escapades of my favourite original character COLE YOUNG and the birthmark that gives him special powers!

seriously which loving producer had so much money he got to put his worthless self insert in

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

whydirt posted:

I want a Mortal Kombat that apes the Last Starfighter and takes some awkward teen playing an MK machine in a bowling alley in Kansas and teleports them to the Outworld for a tournament based on their video game skills

And then get brutally owned in his first fight. Rayden facepalms, real movie starts.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I was an extra in the MK movie, so no matter how bad it is I still got paid $700 cause it exists, and that makes it a great movie to me.

Also, Kano for PM.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That movie had extras?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

there's a random dude who gets owned by subzero's ice lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

well why not posted:

That movie had extras?

they're all at the tournament watching just out of frame

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Crowetron posted:

People complained so much the new game had to add a scene where they specifically kill the new characters.

I still bet there's a decent chance Cole Young appears in the sequel just long enough to demonstrate a Fatality. Reminded of the random guy they added to Hellboy who was literally reassigned to Antarctica for the sequel.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan Smithee posted:

seriously which loving producer had so much money he got to put his worthless self insert in

It makes sense from a soulless creative standpoint

“You see MK is weird and we need someone who isn’t weird and normal to enter this weird world!! Otherwise the audience is going to be lost! They cannot relate to fantastical beings!”

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CelticPredator posted:

“You see MK is weird and we need someone who isn’t weird and normal to enter this weird world!! Otherwise the audience is going to be lost! They cannot relate to fantastical beings!”

I mean I've read posts in Games, CineD, and TVIV people absolutely 100% need everything spelled out for them

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The 90s MK movie had a lot of baller extras. Weird armor, flipping around on he sand

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, that's what Liu Kang was for the first time they made a MK movie! They already HAD a "normal guy" self-insert! Why invent some new loser?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still bet there's a decent chance Cole Young appears in the sequel just long enough to demonstrate a Fatality. Reminded of the random guy they added to Hellboy who was literally reassigned to Antarctica for the sequel.

There's leaks saying that he'll die, motivating Cage and come back as Scorpion II. I made this spoiler longer so it's less guessable. .

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

well why not posted:

There's leaks saying that he'll die, motivating Cage and come back as Scorpion II. I made this spoiler longer so it's less guessable. .

I just hope that Cage remains a fun, somewhat oblivious guy. Urban can be a funny guy and it would be sad watching him turn into a gritty dark character just to avenge Cole loving Young.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I have absolute faith in Urban. Like his Dredd was perfect so I'm sure his Cage is gonna be great.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

they're all at the tournament watching just out of frame

Literally that.

Standing around in a warehouse made to look like a gym for two days. Boring as hell, but paid well

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Asterite34 posted:

Yeah, that's what Liu Kang was for the first time they made a MK movie! They already HAD a "normal guy" self-insert! Why invent some new loser?

And the animated movie had Cage playing that role, and it was great.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And the animated movie had Cage playing that role, and it was great.

The Joel McHale one? Because it's fantastic, it's a deliberate late 80s early 90s action movie with Johnny Cage acting like every Joel McHale character ever. A match made in heaven IMO, ton of fun.

The others any good?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

McGann posted:

The Joel McHale one? Because it's fantastic, it's a deliberate late 80s early 90s action movie with Johnny Cage acting like every Joel McHale character ever. A match made in heaven IMO, ton of fun.

The others any good?

I only saw the second of the animated movies if it's what I'm thinking of, which was uh, kind of a mess.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Asterite34 posted:

yeah, if the 90s could have LK as (albeit ensemble) protagonist then they could have just done the same characters with this one. They could have even just had Johnny Cage in the Cole role if they needed someone to start from scratch. The weird part was having Kano have a whole drat arc

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why do they keep hiring actors that are really enjoyable as Kano only to kill him off in the first film?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He's back in the next movie. So I guess killing him didn't matter

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Just say he had another quarter.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Codependent Poster posted:

He's back in the next movie. So I guess killing him didn't matter

They keep bringing the characters back that they kill off in the games too, so it might be on point. Quan Chi raising him as a revenant or something.

That last MK movie got real close to being good. Its biggest faults were Original Character Don't Steal, not actually getting to the tournament (Fireworks Factory), and that dumb Arcana poo poo (gotta have an explanation why these weirdos can throw fireballs! Birthmarks! Believing In Yourself!).

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah that one was just boring and kind of bad with the only good part being Kano (who I think dies?)

They added a bunch more characters for this one so who knows.

The entire first half of the movie after the cool ninja fight is characters being told fragments of the necessary plot, then going to a different place and being told more fragments by a new set of characters. No one actually does anything until about the halfway mark. The heroes don't get proactive until the last twenty minutes or so. You could teach a course on bad pacing in the scripting stage just through that movie

well why not posted:

The most fun part was Kano's lines being largely improvised. Josh Lawson did a great job hamming it up as a degenerate scumbag. I will say that "Got a pen? Write this down: gently caress off" is probably the most authentic Australian dialog I've seen from a Hollywood production.

The movie needed more of that and less COLE YOUNG MAGIC SHIRT. The actor wasn't bad, but like, why create a new dude when Mortal Kombat has ample dudes already?

Yeah there's like three different 'normal guy entering a magic world' characters in Mortal Kombat already. Actually, given the generation skip in some of the recent games you've got a bunch more.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I hope the new one has the cop character and he gets murked IMMEDIATELY. Raiden's just like "40%, dude. 40%."

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/TomMCJL/status/1749892774998982801?s=20

Madame Web ad campaign continuing to put out bangers!

There's another ad out there for it that actually seems to have gotten some buzz, entirely because Dakota reads the ad in a full on ASMR voice, for reasons.

Someone should make a new comic book movies thread so I can stop punishing this poor thread with this slop.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I am never going to watch that movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Professor Shark posted:

I am never going to watch that movie

You think anyone else is? No one's going to see that crap.