Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Considering the other 5 DQs in the first 6 have gotten ports remasters and remakes that are objectively the definitive version, itd really be nice if 3 atleast got that this time so you have to settle for things for better translation or all the features. Now Ideally not only would we get that, the party members would all get personalities too, but thats a real pipe dream lmao.

Considering the Pixel Remasters for FF though, I have no faith even though the Enix side has always been more competent.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dragon Quest is not shy about giving quality of life upgrades. I have no doubt that the new one will be the definitive version of the game, i'm just wondering if they'll make heavier changes than tweaks

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Also I beat Dragon Quest 9. Is there a post game that doesn't involve DLC?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Grottoes are the game's post-game, there are a bunch of procedurally-generated dungeon maps you can get with different bosses. Many of the higher-level ones are legacy bosses from older DQ games, one or two from each (at the time) past game. The DQ9 postgame is extremely grindy though, I didn't get anywhere near through it.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The biggest tweak is I'd like for a DQ3 re-remake would probably be to do another pass on weapons and armor options for postgame. It's a little boring that every class, even the Hero, has the same best armor if they're female.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

The Grottoes are the game's post-game, there are a bunch of procedurally-generated dungeon maps you can get with different bosses. Many of the higher-level ones are legacy bosses from older DQ games, one or two from each (at the time) past game. The DQ9 postgame is extremely grindy though, I didn't get anywhere near through it.
ok, instead of doing that i'll just start up Joker 2 and see how that plays

I stuck my head into Joker 1 but the walk cycle felt hideously slow despite the animation being more like a run animation

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Looking up info on synthesis i only get info about joker 1. It looks like joker 2 increased unspent point retention to 1/2 instead of 1/4th, which is nice. I feel like specialization is going to be important, it feels like synthesis favors that over spreading out

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I was just looking at my mobile versions of DQ on my iPad. I own DQ1, 2, 3 and 4 there because I think that grid-based RPGs are one of the few genres that translate well to touch controls. I still have my save game for DQ1 where I am max level and the king yells at me to go kill the end boss, and I have my end game save of 2 where I'm max level (because it took forever to get another Mad Cap to drop) and the guys at the final save point also yell at me for not going to beat the final boss. I've never played IV, but I apparently did start a game of III that I don't really remember. I have a Hero/Soldier/Pilgrim in the low 20s and a level 16 sage, so I was a fair way into the game. However, something seemed a bit odd about my sage's spell list, and then I realised what I had done: apparently I had started off with a merchant, then booked him into Sage since Merchants & Thieves don't 'age' well.

No real point to this post; I just thought that it was interesting that I did that. I was planning to play 3 again after I finish this fan translation of Earthbound and had completely forgotten that I had a run in progress.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Kind of hoping that the delay for DQ3:R is actually secretly that it’s DQXII and you’re playing as Erdwin instead of Erdrick. Like, you beat Zoma, roll credits… End with the DQIII logo, then the first I falls over at an angle into a reveal of the XII logo and you have a whole other 100 hours of gameplay. It would be a proper plot twist homage to III.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MythosDragon posted:

Considering the other 5 DQs in the first 6 have gotten ports remasters and remakes that are objectively the definitive version, itd really be nice if 3 atleast got that this time so you have to settle for things for better translation or all the features. Now Ideally not only would we get that, the party members would all get personalities too, but thats a real pipe dream lmao.

Considering the Pixel Remasters for FF though, I have no faith even though the Enix side has always been more competent.

DQ3's SFC version is still the definitive version until the 2DHD remake comes out. It lacks monster medals but that's not a downside tbh.

Commander Keene posted:

And if someone does want to do the DQ9 postgame, look up the Hoimi table and make full use of it because IIRC, the gear drop from those dungeons starts at 2% and the orbs from legacy bosses are similarly awful. Though you can't rely on the Hoimi table if you grind up legacy bosses because as they get high leveled they get ridiculously hard.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Kind of hoping that the delay for DQ3:R is actually secretly that it’s DQXII and you’re playing as Erdwin instead of Erdrick. Like, you beat Zoma, roll credits… End with the DQIII logo, then the first I falls over at an angle into a reveal of the XII logo and you have a whole other 100 hours of gameplay. It would be a proper plot twist homage to III.

III, then I, then II in one game would be so rad.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

DQ3's SFC version is still the definitive version until the 2DHD remake comes out. It lacks monster medals but that's not a downside tbh.

I started a playthrough of this game some years ago. It was a very good port just like the SFC port of DQ2, but something went wrong and my save was corrupted while I was farming Glacier Bashers for magic hats. I never was able to play the bonus dungeon, but I think that the board game is rather overrated. The problem is that, as I recall, it's all RNG based and it's not possible to buy a bunch of tickets and keep trying until the dice favour the player. RNG-heavy mechanics are always a bad idea and making limited attempts at an RNG-heavy mini-game is even worse.

That said, what's the best fan translation of this version? I assume that the only option besides Japanese is English, but there might be more than one. I want to play DQ3 again when I finish Earthbound and I am considering which version to play.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The newest one on Romhacking.net is this one, which adds bugfixes to a 2009 translation. If there's one that uses the mobile version retranslation, I'm not aware of it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Bongo Bill posted:

The newest one on Romhacking.net is this one, which adds bugfixes to a 2009 translation. If there's one that uses the mobile version retranslation, I'm not aware of it.

Thank you for this. I read the description, and the old translation might be what hosed up my playthrough years ago.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

OK I need to update the rom on my Anbernic

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JustJeff88 posted:

I started a playthrough of this game some years ago. It was a very good port just like the SFC port of DQ2, but something went wrong and my save was corrupted while I was farming Glacier Bashers for magic hats. I never was able to play the bonus dungeon, but I think that the board game is rather overrated. The problem is that, as I recall, it's all RNG based and it's not possible to buy a bunch of tickets and keep trying until the dice favour the player. RNG-heavy mechanics are always a bad idea and making limited attempts at an RNG-heavy mini-game is even worse.

That said, what's the best fan translation of this version? I assume that the only option besides Japanese is English, but there might be more than one. I want to play DQ3 again when I finish Earthbound and I am considering which version to play.

There's a golden ticket in the end/post game that lets you run it as much as you want but there's also enough tickets spread around to run the board game 2-3x each IIRC. Realistically you only need to clear them once for their main rewards. Running them over and over is primarily for stuff like stat farming which can be faster than farming monsters with 3x thieves, but is all on the RNG (unless you just say gently caress it and abuse save states on an emulator).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's a golden ticket in the end/post game that lets you run it as much as you want but there's also enough tickets spread around to run the board game 2-3x each IIRC. Realistically you only need to clear them once for their main rewards. Running them over and over is primarily for stuff like stat farming which can be faster than farming monsters with 3x thieves, but is all on the RNG (unless you just say gently caress it and abuse save states on an emulator).

It's been a while, but I remember save-scumming to get dice rolls so that I could get things such as swords that were slightly better than those on sale at that point in the game. I did get some stat seeds, but I never intended to farm them. I thought at the time that the reason for my corrupted save was my abuse of save states, but after Bongo Bill posted that new translation I did some research about the save bug. I'm all-but-sure now that that was the reason for what happened to me back around 2018.

When I do play DQ3 next, I'm not sure what version I will play... SFC, NES, mobile where I already have a game in progress or Switch, but now at least I am confident playing the SFC version

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

It's been a while, but I remember save-scumming to get dice rolls so that I could get things such as swords that were slightly better than those on sale at that point in the game. I did get some stat seeds, but I never intended to farm them. I thought at the time that the reason for my corrupted save was my abuse of save states, but after Bongo Bill posted that new translation I did some research about the save bug. I'm all-but-sure now that that was the reason for what happened to me back around 2018.

When I do play DQ3 next, I'm not sure what version I will play... SFC, NES, mobile where I already have a game in progress or Switch, but now at least I am confident playing the SFC version

Yeah the first board north of Romaly is a steel sword and gold for the first clear reward and some other items on the board like a boomerang. It's a pretty nice pickup and lets you save a bunch of gold for other gear/items.

e: there's a ticket/token/whatever in there as well as one in Romaly so you can at least have 2 attempts when you first get there.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 17, 2024

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah the first board north of Romaly is a steel sword and gold for the first clear reward and some other items on the board like a boomerang. It's a pretty nice pickup and lets you save a bunch of gold for other gear/items.

e: there's a ticket/token/whatever in there as well as one in Romaly so you can at least have 2 attempts when you first get there.

If I do play this version again, I'm just going to save-scum the dice rolls. I'm now convinced that it was a bug and not doing that that broke my last game 6 years ago.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I recently got a decent little emulation handheld and am considering DQ4 as the next game in the series to play, as I haven't really touched 4-6 before.

Last I checked the Android version had clunky touch-only controls that hate me. What's the best console versions of 4-6?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think the ds is the best version of 4, the playstation port has not been translated. 5 and 6 you can play ds or just play fan-translated sfc originals

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

DS in all cases. If party chat is important to you, play a translated japanese version of 4 instead of playing the english version

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

translated ps2 for dq5

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

can't believe i finally made it to disc 2 of DQ7. it's been a hell of a journey and a hell of a first DQ after being introduced with Builders 2. whenever i can get a flashcart for my gameboy i'm hittin the trilogy that started it all.. . :slime:

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
What’s the favourite DQ?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

baram. posted:

translated ps2 for dq5
ps2 version lacks my wife, Debora

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

virinvictus posted:

What’s the favourite DQ?

With no nostalgia factored in? Probably 11 or 8. Otherwise the first or second one you played

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Nihilarian posted:

ps2 version lacks my wife, Debora

Hello, Raymond

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

virinvictus posted:

What’s the favourite DQ?

statistically probably V

no other DQ got a weird CG movie made about it, yet.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

V is the best complete package. VIII has a lot I like but is just too long ditto XI. The earlier games weren't there yet.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

6 and 7 were the only ones i played where i thought "this is just bad". 5 was probably the best of them but 8 is close behind for me

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nihilarian posted:

6 and 7 were the only ones i played where i thought "this is just bad". 5 was probably the best of them but 8 is close behind for me

Never played seven. 6 was yeah the weakest of the bunch. You get all trades abbey way too late for what it does. Then the whole Nadiria sequence at the end just drags it on far too long.

For best: 5 is king poo poo (play it again as a parent trust me) then 8 or 11. Rest are pretty interchangeable. 1 holds special in my heart since I had it on NES.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My favorite Dragon Quest is whichever one I happen to be playing at the time.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Dragon Warrior VII(PSX) is my favorite of all the games.

People that didn't like it are lame.

:D

I have the 3DS version on my 3DS but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I love the original though. So many little stories, fun characters, lots of jobs, town building, etc. I even like the ugly sprites.

I did play through V for the first time last year, and it was pretty great too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Never played seven. 6 was yeah the weakest of the bunch. You get all trades abbey way too late for what it does. Then the whole Nadiria sequence at the end just drags it on far too long.

For best: 5 is king poo poo (play it again as a parent trust me) then 8 or 11. Rest are pretty interchangeable. 1 holds special in my heart since I had it on NES.

I'd have been ok with class changes being as late as they were in DQ6 if the Mudo fight right before it wasn't such a brutal jump in difficulty compared to anything before it (and after, since class change opens up so much more power).

DQ7 is fine, it's just extremely long, though it feels like less of a drag than the later part of DQ6 does. It's definitely a game that felt like they decided "CDs hold so much data so lets make the game far longer than usual."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I do enjoy DQ7's gameplay loop. of Visit Island > Solve Problem > Go back to Present > See Island without Problems.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
What was the town in 7 where there wasn't really a monster problem and it was just a sad sack soap opera thing happening progressing every time you visited.

gently caress that place.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
progressing required finding obscure event triggers over and over again. it was very tedious.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I played DQ7 with a guide and had an amazing time. I'd probably have hated it otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Dr Pepper posted:

I do enjoy DQ7's gameplay loop. of Visit Island > Solve Problem > Go back to Present > See Island without Problems.

It's a simple loop but it nails it so hard that 7 is my favorite of the franchise. It's so good.