Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Borscht posted:

It’s just that usually America expects some quid pro its quo. Israel just seems like a hole for >$3.8 billion a year and all Americans seem to get in return is terrorism, refugees, and bad press.

The American government spends money, the American politicians receive significant campaign contributions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If they give themselves a call sign that's how you know they're not actually a pilot. Try that in an actual flying unit and see what happens to you.

For a large enough donation you can buy your way out of a call sign. I've seen that a handful of times, usually for comedic effect - like, make somebody in need of light hazing throw down a few bucks to avoid an obviously fake name like Loaded Diaper or Bitch Tits.

Only once have I met somebody who made their own call sign. It cost about a grand, people 15 years later know what it was supposed to be and why, but the booster fund made a killing that night.

Tldr: don't join the military if you have other options, we're generally terrible people.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Count Roland posted:

I'm not watching that video, but seeing Jake Shields, MMA fighter of some minor note, on that list makes me think that these people aren't overly influential. Or so I hope.

Fair enough they're not, it's more about reminding people there are still grifters that aren't the usual voices on this one

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_K_Cook/status/1747799191433228426

quote:

The head of Yad Vashem, Israel's renowned Holocaust museum, rejects a letter from 50 Holocaust experts calling on him to condemn the rash of statements from senior Israeli figures calling for genocide in Gaza.

Yad Vashem, he says, is not interested in the universal lessons of genocide. "Our area of concern is the Holocaust, and only the Holocaust," he said.

I feel like I have some very uncharitable opinions on this. But you can probably guess what they are.

https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/1747978396423069843

quote:

Headline: We cannot overlook the mental burden of the Gaza war on Israeli soldiers

You know, it's paywalled, but I feel like we need to just reflect on someone unironically writing that headline and not working for the Onion.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In a slightly more academic tone, RAND put out a blog article last week that's a fairly decent read: Israel's 'People's Army' at War

I think it captures the various psychological factors quite well: the bias to decisive action given Israel's strategic position and force structure, the psychological need for the IDF to rebuild its place in the social contract and how that is impacting strategy, the reliance on officer forward leadership to control forces.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, it's paywalled, but I feel like we need to just reflect on someone unironically writing that headline and not working for the Onion.

Haaretz is a left leaning and probably the best newspaper in the Middle East. I suspect the article won't be as tone deaf as you might think.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Alchenar posted:

In a slightly more academic tone, RAND put out a blog article last week that's a fairly decent read: Israel's 'People's Army' at War

I think it captures the various psychological factors quite well: the bias to decisive action given Israel's strategic position and force structure, the psychological need for the IDF to rebuild its place in the social contract and how that is impacting strategy, the reliance on officer forward leadership to control forces.

quote:

If the United States can help the IDF win this crucial next fight—one that's mostly fought without bombs and bullets—then Israelis, Palestinians, and the entire region will be all the better for it.

It's funny that this article spends so much time fellating the IDF for their bravery and heroics, casually mentions that "oh, whoops, they actually completely gently caress up actually addressing the core causes of Palestinian attacks on them" and then just breezes past to blowing the IDF some more. Kind of paints their "oh lmao they murder a bunch of civilians and gently caress up any chance of peace utterly" as just "well that's what any soldier would do without someone around to remind them not to :)" rather than the result of a deeply hosed up culture.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

It's funny that this article spends so much time fellating the IDF for their bravery and heroics, casually mentions that "oh, whoops, they actually completely gently caress up actually addressing the core causes of Palestinian attacks on them" and then just breezes past to blowing the IDF some more. Kind of paints their "oh lmao they murder a bunch of civilians and gently caress up any chance of peace utterly" as just "well that's what any soldier would do without someone around to remind them not to :)" rather than the result of a deeply hosed up culture.

Oh it's definitely written though a lens of observing things and then saying "it doesn't look like anything to me". And writing to a particular audience.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I mean most all conservative cultures are hosed up and repressive but that's why we're "the great Satan" that tempts them and suffers them to live.

This is what the conservative fantasy is. Society is the Boogeyman when it is accepting and tolerant, and it is good when we repress and punish that which relieves pain outside serving a master.

The conservative fantasy is an illness because they often see themselves as the class who should be master.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 20, 2024

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Count Roland posted:

Haaretz is a left leaning and probably the best newspaper in the Middle East. I suspect the article won't be as tone deaf as you might think.

Haaretz is just the only major Israeli new outlet that sometimes publishes non-freakish opinions, plenty of genocide apologia and regular Israeli bullshit appears in their op-Ed section.

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'

Borscht posted:

It’s just that usually America expects some quid pro its quo. Israel just seems like a hole for >$3.8 billion a year and all Americans seem to get in return is terrorism, refugees, and bad press.

Suez Canal. Egypt wasn't always friendly w/ America so it helps to have a friend on the other side of the canal with airbases in range.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/1747978396423069843

The thesis of the article is that foreverwars chasing incoherent policy goals are bad for soldiers. The headline is for an Israeli audience, not an international one.

raminasi fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 21, 2024

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So who had 'IDF desecrates graveyards where Palestinians are buried, avoiding those where non-Palestinians are buried' on their bingo card?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/23/middleeast/gaza-israeli-soldiers-deaths-intl-hnk/index.html

As part of the ethnic cleansing the IDF is demolishing homes except yesterday 21 IDF soldiers died while mining a building when a Hamas RPG set off a chain reaction that caused it to collapse on top of them.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Proud Christian Mom posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/23/middleeast/gaza-israeli-soldiers-deaths-intl-hnk/index.html

As part of the ethnic cleansing the IDF is demolishing homes except yesterday 21 IDF soldiers died while mining a building when a Hamas RPG set off a chain reaction that caused it to collapse on top of them.
The grenadier had to be a bit blown away by the result.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Proud Christian Mom posted:

M-m-m-m-onster kill!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Are the types of anti-ship missiles being used in the Red Sea known currently? Id assume C-801s etc but Id think that size thing would damage a ship more than whats been reported.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/muhammadshehad2/status/1750603833758151027?t=3-G4XdmCFxdXPm26vhLm8A&s=19

Real tight ship Israel has around Gaza

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Are the types of anti-ship missiles being used in the Red Sea known currently? Id assume C-801s etc but Id think that size thing would damage a ship more than whats been reported.

Take your pick, there's a whole palette to choose from:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dandywalken posted:

Most of the attcks have been drone and ballistic or ASCMs being shot down.

But the Houthis did destroy the former HSV-2 Swift while on lease to UAE.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This is just loving embarrassing.

quote:

Pelosi Wants F.B.I. to Investigate Pro-Palestinian Protesters

The former House speaker suggested without offering evidence that some protesters calling for a cease-fire in Gaza had financial ties to Russia and Vladimir V. Putin.

Representative Nancy Pelosi, Democrat of California and the former House speaker, on Sunday called for the F.B.I. to investigate protesters demanding a cease-fire in the Israel-Hamas conflict, suggesting without evidence that some activists may have ties to Russia and President Vladimir V. Putin.

“For them to call for a cease-fire is Mr. Putin’s message,” Ms. Pelosi said during an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “Make no mistake, this is directly connected to what he would like to see. Same thing with Ukraine. It’s about Putin’s message. I think some of these protesters are spontaneous and organic and sincere. Some, I think, are connected to Russia.”

When pressed on whether she believed some of the demonstrators were “Russian plants,” Ms. Pelosi said: “Seeds or plants. I think some financing should be investigated. And I want to ask the F.B.I. to investigate that.”

Ms. Pelosi, who was first elected speaker in 2007 and again in 2019, led House Democrats for 20 years before stepping aside for Representative Hakeem Jeffries of New York, the minority leader. Still, she remains influential among congressional Democrats. Her remarks appear to be the first time a prominent U.S. politician has publicly suggested Russia may be backing cease-fire protests to help foment division among Democrats.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations condemned Ms. Pelosi’s comments as “an unsubstantiated smear” and “downright authoritarian.”

“Her comments once again show the negative impact of decades of dehumanization of the Palestinian people by those supporting Israeli apartheid,” Nihad Awad, the group’s national executive director, said in a statement. “Instead of baselessly smearing those Americans as Russian collaborators, former House Speaker Pelosi and other political leaders should respect the will of the American people by calling for an end to the Netanyahu government’s genocidal war on the people of Gaza.”

Progressive activists and voters who support a cease-fire in Gaza have warned President Biden that his approach to the conflict would threaten his re-election and cost Democrats support at the ballot box in November. A variety of groups, including Jewish, human rights and antiwar organizations, have led protests around the country demanding an end to Israel’s military campaign, which began after Hamas’s deadly attack on Oct. 7. Pro-Palestinian demonstrators, citing the soaring death toll and deep humanitarian crisis in Gaza, have disrupted Democratic campaign events in recent weeks, including Mr. Biden’s public appearances and a speech Ms. Pelosi gave in Seattle last week.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Ms. Pelosi pointed to a social media post by Ian Bremmer, a political scientist and professor at Columbia University, who wrote that “putin benefits from continued war in gaza and expanded chaos in the middle east.”

The spokesperson said Ms. Pelosi would continue to focus on “stopping the suffering in Gaza” and demanding that all hostages be released.

“Speaker Pelosi has always supported and defended the right of all Americans to make their views known through peaceful protest,” the statement said. “Speaker Pelosi is acutely aware of how foreign adversaries meddle in American politics to sow division and impact our elections, and she wants to see further investigation ahead of the 2024 election.”

Democrats have been deeply divided over policy toward Israel since Hamas killed about 1,200 people and abducted another 240 during its Oct. 7 attack. Israel’s military response has killed more than 26,000 people, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.

A New York Times/Siena College poll found that voters broadly disapproved of Mr. Biden’s handling of the conflict, with nearly as many Americans saying they want Israel’s military campaign to stop as those who said it should continue. The split poses an acute challenge for Mr. Biden as he seeks re-election and tries to hold together a Democratic coalition that elected him to the White House in 2020.

And of course this old ghoul is probably going to get reelected next year.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This is just loving embarrassing.

It’s like when they call Biden a communist, if this was true it would be absolutely the best thing Putin ever did.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s like when they call Biden a communist, if this was true it would be absolutely the best thing Putin ever did.
You do not, in fact, have to hand it to any and every bad actor who cynically exploits messaging around the Palestinian cause to further their own ends. Putin's an rear end in a top hat for sowing dissension in the US, likely has his lovely online propagandists playing both sides with antisemitic/antimuslim messaging, and doesn't give a single gently caress about the fate of the Palestinian people. Similar goes for the Houthis couching their attacks on unrelated shipping in cynically pro-Palestine rhetoric.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cugel the Clever posted:

You do not, in fact, have to hand it to any and every bad actor who cynically exploits messaging around the Palestinian cause to further their own ends. Putin's an rear end in a top hat for sowing dissension in the US, likely has his lovely online propagandists playing both sides with antisemitic/antimuslim messaging, and doesn't give a single gently caress about the fate of the Palestinian people. Similar goes for the Houthis couching their attacks on unrelated shipping in cynically pro-Palestine rhetoric.

Oh we’re still trying to do this, I see. We may be on the same side as the country doing the most genocide, but we’re not cynically exploiting it so it all good bro.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Idk if she's going to become speaker in her remaining lifet-- oh, reelection. Yeah probably.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Potato Salad posted:

Idk if she's going to become speaker in her remaining lifet-- oh, reelection. Yeah probably.

Don’t worry I’m sure they’ll find someone worse when she croaks

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

She's already stepped aside over a year ago to let Hakeem Jefferies take over the leadership of the Congressional Dems, who the Dems have voted for as speaker in subsequent speaker elections.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Oh we’re still trying to do this, I see. We may be on the same side as the country doing the most genocide, but we’re not cynically exploiting it so it all good bro.
Reacting to actor X doing something bad by hooting and hollering when actor Y points at actor X to justify also doing something obviously bad is childish tho brah

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cugel the Clever posted:

Reacting to actor X doing something bad by hooting and hollering when actor Y points at actor X to justify also doing something obviously bad is childish tho brah

In my eyes attempting to stop a genocide or resist an imperial power is not equivalent with assisting or perpetrating a genocide, unless the means of doing so are so abhorrent that they are worse than the genocide. I don't have to endorse the means or all of the policies of the regime doing so. Unless I valued Palestinian lives extremely lowly, I don't think I can come up with any reason their actions, taken into the context, are remotely on par with the evil they are trying to stop.

If the Houthis are cynical opportunists that must be stopped and you're not about to condemn the American and British bombing campaign, it seems to me the only moral option would be to immediately begin bombing the IDF as well to take away their justification for shooting at merchant ships or doing piracy. I would also be interested if any actual Palestinian organization or leader was as concerned about the motives of the Houthis as it seems Americans and Israelis are.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 30, 2024

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

the only moral option would be to immediately begin bombing

gently caress right off out of here.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

gently caress right off out of here.

Lovely. To clarify, you're against using military force against the IDF to stop a genocide, but you're presumably okay with bombing Yemen?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
If stopping a genocide isn't a legitimate use of military force then what is?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Lovely. To clarify, you're against using military force against the IDF to stop a genocide, but you're presumably okay with bombing Yemen?

He didn't come anywhere near to saying this.

Indiscriminate attacks against civilians are bad.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

lightpole posted:

Indiscriminate attacks against civilians are bad.

I fully agree, though I don't think we should immediately resort to dropping JDAMs on IDF division HQs as the first option. Maybe the second.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I fully agree, though I don't think we should immediately resort to dropping JDAMs on IDF division HQs as the first option. Maybe the second.

Houthis, Isrealis, Hamas are all performing indiscriminate acts against civilians. I have no need to support one over the other. I can understand the cycle of violence that got us here while realizing that continued eye for an eye leads nowhere.

Edit: the coalition bombing campaign has focused on ASM launchers. Indiscriminate attacks against shipping in one of the busiest lanes doesn't really help their cause or support their professed justification. There are also carry on effects when it comes to world trade, with costs of shipping increasing by 1 million either through extra fuel around the Cape or increased insurance through a war zone. This pushes into food and fuel costs across the world.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 30, 2024

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

lightpole posted:

Houthis, Isrealis, Hamas are all performing indiscriminate acts against civilians. I have no need to support one over the other. I can understand the cycle of violence that got us here while realizing that continued eye for an eye leads nowhere.

I do not think "all sides are bad" is a particularly novel or brave stance.

Exactly what would be an acceptable way to resist in your eyes? Waffling about an "eye for an eye" and cycle of violence in regards to actions that to some extent are taken to slow or prevent a genocide that is not in the past but is actively ongoing is... something.

quote:

Edit: the coalition bombing campaign has focused on ASM launchers. Indiscriminate attacks against shipping in one of the busiest lanes doesn't really help their cause or support their professed justification. There are also carry on effects when it comes to world trade, with costs of shipping increasing by 1 million either through extra fuel around the Cape or increased insurance through a war zone. This pushes into food and fuel costs across the world.

Holy gently caress. High costs of shipping, two million people getting liquidated in a ghetto, who can say which is worse?

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 30, 2024

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Military targets would be legitimate. Attacks against unaffiliated civilians illegitimate.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
A belligerent's commerce is an entirely legitimate target.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
One of the more recent attacks was on the Marlin Luanda, operated by Oceonix Svcs Ltd (UK registered) on behalf of Trafigura (Singapore company), carrying oil, flagged Marshal Islands, crewed by 22 Indians and a Bangladeshi I think. You're running a pretty thin legitimate target argument to say the least so I'm not going to bother continuing with this.

Edit: Carrying Russian naphtha to Singapore.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

lightpole posted:

It's extra funny because I've been openly in favor of kinetic intervention to degrade Israel's ability to engage in the kind of destruction we're currently seeing in Gaza (though I recognize it as an obvious political nonstarter and don't bother raging that it's not about to happen). I guess it's a superpower to be able to hold concurrent criticisms of both Israel and the Houthis at the same time? :shrug:

lightpole posted:

Yup, this.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

A belligerent's commerce is an entirely legitimate target.
All reporting on this indicates that they're not actually being at all discerning, no matter the outlandish claims they put out.