Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Mx. posted:

it's so loving good, it just goes absolutely full on into any joke and doesn't back off and it's hilarious

Yeah it can make pretty much anything funny, even stuff I normally wouldn't. It'd be hard to explain to someone why Roger cracking his knuckles and saying "I'm gonna rape him this time" is funny to someone who doesn't watch the show.

limp_cheese posted:

I would argue that started happening S3E1 with the Steve clones that Stan and Francine raised separately. After that poo poo got weird and the show was better for it.

3E1 was the Vacation Goo episode, Son of Stan is season six.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Tom Tucker posted:

Yeah everyone counts out American Dad as just Family Guy light but it’s actually some sort of absurdist self-aware magical-realism exploration of our culture that really doesn’t have any parallels. The show creatively just took off Season 4+ and never looked back

A friend of mine told me that something was terrible "like that American Dad poo poo" and I had to ask her if she meant Family Guy and I just got a "meh, all the same" kind of shrug. Madness! If she didn't keep baking awesome desserts to bring over we'd be having sterner words. (I mean, I watch FG too but they are leagues apart).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My usual reaction to family guy is "was this stereotype actually a real one, and was it enough to hang a whole joke off of?"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah, unfortunately some people will just never give it a real chance just because of Family Guy or hating Seth McFarlane in general.

I've never seen this show get as mean spirited as some of the stuff I've seen on FG (I haven't seen an episode in a very long time, I've heard it's gotten better but I'm not gonna watch for myself) Like I remember FG being pretty violent and seemingly loathing its cast with what they get subjected to, but AD mostly uses that to emphasize a punchline rather than having it be the whole joke.

Brawnfire posted:

My usual reaction to family guy is "was this stereotype actually a real one, and was it enough to hang a whole joke off of?"

Yeah I disliked when they'd just make stuff up. Even in AD'S early seasons there's stuff like "its called the little death because in the middle ages only midgets could have orgasms. Read the Bible."

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think the creative energy that made early Family Guy interesting went into American Dad after its first cancellation.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Neeksy posted:

I think the creative energy that made early Family Guy interesting went into American Dad after its first cancellation.

I think AD got a few Futurama writers as well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

muscles like this! posted:

There's a Tik Tok trend right now of people using Steve's lines from the clown college episode.

Yeah spill it.

My favorite roger costume related bit is people who inexplicably look like roger.

And that whole clown trial in the whiplash episode is incredible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ISTHsBvX5g

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

My favorite variation on this gag is when Roger is the one surprised or annoyed when a character does (or doesn't) end up being him.

Oh You butt. I shoulda known it was gonna get brought up

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I really enjoy Roger as Francine’s Dad’s Cat. Him and Haley in that episode are just great “so… what do you get out of this?”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The only hard part is chopping up my dumps into cat-sized pieces.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Watched "The Vacation Goo" tonight, drat that's some good stuff right there. The last half of season 2 has some bangers, they really nailed a lot of what makes the show good pretty early on imo

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

The early season 1 has some bits I love to pieces ("Your very manhood is at stake! Your very manhood is at stake! Your very manhood is at sta-" "That's it, no more carpooling.") but it really starts to come into its own with Stan of Arabia onward.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

DAMMIT FRANKIE! YOU JUST LET SOME NUT COME IN AND OPEN MY PLYWOOD DOOR

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Alxprit posted:

What I appreciate is them inventing characters for jokes that never have to come back, rather than relying solely on pop culture for their abuse. The aforementioned clip is a good example of that too - this sadistic employee person never reappears, and why should he? He did his job.

Brawnfire's post got me thinking about another great instance of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ8RuVI35lk

Let me handle this, Gaaary!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

The early season 1 has some bits I love to pieces ("Your very manhood is at stake! Your very manhood is at stake! Your very manhood is at sta-" "That's it, no more carpooling.") but it really starts to come into its own with Stan of Arabia onward.

I'm of this mind. The show is honestly fairly watchable far earlier than many assume. The beginning of the Golden Turd saga was one of the first things that made me go "oh this show is neat" when it was first airing on TV.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Chris Knight posted:

Watched "The Vacation Goo" tonight, drat that's some good stuff right there. The last half of season 2 has some bangers, they really nailed a lot of what makes the show good pretty early on imo

XAAANADUUUUUUUUU
CAN'T CRRYYYY ON CUE
NOW I AM HERE IN XANADUUUUU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah it can make pretty much anything funny, even stuff I normally wouldn't. It'd be hard to explain to someone why Roger cracking his knuckles and saying "I'm gonna rape him this time" is funny to someone who doesn't watch the show.

3E1 was the Vacation Goo episode, Son of Stan is season six.

Aha, thanks, I was curious which episode this was. The numbering for this show can be... weird/inconsistent.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They pioneered an incredible anti-piracy practice! Now they'll have no choice but to watch every single episode to find which one they want!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Milo and POTUS posted:

They pioneered an incredible anti-piracy practice! Now they'll have no choice but to watch every single episode to find which one they want!

Unironically correct, the hosed up seasons listings make it so hard to find episodes on pirate sites that I pay for American Dad

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mx. posted:

Unironically correct, the hosed up seasons listings make it so hard to find episodes on pirate sites that I pay for American Dad

You pay to pirate American Dad? :psyduck:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

While that is an option no I pay to watch it legitimately instead of pirating it...

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mx. posted:

While that is an option no I pay to watch it legitimately instead of pirating it...

Check your private messages for insightful commentary from me about cartoons.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Small White Dragon posted:

Aha, thanks, I was curious which episode this was. The numbering for this show can be... weird/inconsistent.

It made putting together a Plex playlist of the Christmas episodes very hard for the early ones.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Speaking of B-plots, the one where Roger is a flower was on TBS last night.

"That's a tip for everyone at home. No one ever shoots the flower."

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I think once they dialed back on Roger being a murderous psychopath via his personas they really hit the mark. poo poo like the potted plant and the census episode where he plays up being an anxious wreck who punches himself in the crotch.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The great part is that Roger can just be anywhere the show goes to add another level to it. Like he’s the owner of the skate rink killing rats in the roller derby episode, the concrete salesman in the time traveling hotel, or the cat I mentioned before. He doesn’t have to be the focused and it’s super easy to just write him in anywhere he needs to be.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tom Tucker posted:

The great part is that Roger can just be anywhere the show goes to add another level to it. Like he’s the owner of the skate rink killing rats in the roller derby episode, the concrete salesman in the time traveling hotel, or the cat I mentioned before. He doesn’t have to be the focused and it’s super easy to just write him in anywhere he needs to be.

It'll never go stale for me.
The cat bit where he goes from bipedal and smoking a cigarette to pawing at a can like a normal cat when the kitchen door opens always gets me.

They haven't leaned as hard on "people who might be Roger" and I appreciate that.
Wilbur.....Kentucky....

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

RABBITAGE

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

That's right, Stan. I found a way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FireWorksWell posted:

They haven't leaned as hard on "people who might be Roger" and I appreciate that.
Wilbur.....Kentucky....

Wiz Khalifa :hmmyes:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

FireWorksWell posted:

It'll never go stale for me.
The cat bit where he goes from bipedal and smoking a cigarette to pawing at a can like a normal cat when the kitchen door opens always gets me.

He was sucking a beer can too

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

He was sucking a beer can too

Guess I forgot that but that's great

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Everyone of you can go to hell, because I'm Kevin Bacon!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/1shhqR5.gifv

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Roger's nesting doll of personas in the episode Roots was a great bit, turning out that he is both twin brother and mother of a guy that is in a competing asphalt business to a persona that is actually pretending to be said twin and mother.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol that they used the entire two minutes of the score

https://i.imgur.com/2ASvIF8.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/5LOk5f5.gifv

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Oh, it's from something else? Always liked it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The presence of the Tearjerker clip just raises more questions!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Siddown, ya yutz!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

FireWorksWell posted:

Oh, it's from something else? Always liked it.

It's the MASH score, specifically "Suicide is Painless".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Thank you!