Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The 2 minute report came out for the Hornets-Wolves game. I think they should not even release these since it just pisses people off. But there were ten missed/incorrect calls in the final two minutes. Haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Hire Bronny

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Jackie D posted:

Bring Back Bud

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mean Baby posted:

The Bucks offense is pretty anemic considering they have two of the best offensive players in the league and good supporting talent.

Their stats suggest they have the second best offense in the league, but in my opinion it shouldn’t be close. They aren’t building chemistry with Giannis and Dame. Firing Stotts was a huge mistake.

The defense was also bad and they were giving up too many fast break points, but I don’t think it is as big of an issue if they were truly dominate on offense.

They didn’t fire stotts, he resigned.

And not “resign or we will fire you” resigned, he got mad and left

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

considering they fired Griffin 3 months after Stotts resigned due to the two of them butting heads, i'ma go ahead and side with Terry Stotts. that's how fuckin bad Adrian Griffin is, he is making me stand with Terry Stotts

https://theathletic.com/4977527/2023/10/19/terry-stotts-bucks-assistant-leaving/

quote:

Although Milwaukee Bucks head coach Adrian Griffin did not mention any sort of issue between himself and assistant coach Terry Stotts on Thursday when he told reporters Stotts was stepping down, their relationship was tenuous, league sources have told The Athletic. There was also a brief incident at Tuesday’s shootaround in Oklahoma City.

Stotts is leaving the team only four months after he returned, Griffin told reporters following the team’s practice.

“It caught all of us off guard, of course, but again, you just support him,” Griffin said. “He was a terrific guy. I learned a lot from him in a very short time. He was really good at what he does. He made a decision – a personal decision – and we just have to respect that.”

When asked for any reasoning given by Stotts for his decision, Griffin told reporters that he didn’t feel that was a question for him to answer but rather something that Stotts would need to clarify.

“You’re going to have to ask Terry,” Griffin said. “He’s a great coach. I really enjoyed getting to know him. Terrific person. It was his decision. I just wish him the best.”

According to sources who witnessed Tuesday’s events, Griffin wrapped up the shootaround and called the team together for a huddle to close out the day and let the players get to post-shootaround shooting drills. During that huddle, Griffin informed the coaches that he wanted to have a separate huddle with them once they wrapped things up.

When the players and coaches broke the huddle, Stotts went in the opposite direction of the coaches’ huddle and instead started walking toward players to discuss the offense. As Stotts attempted to start a conversation with Lillard and Giannis Antetokounmpo, Griffin called to Stotts to join the coaching huddle. When Stotts asked for some time with the players, Griffin yelled for Stotts to join the coaches’ huddle. The incident occurred in front of the entire team, those sources said.

While brief, the interaction highlighted the underlying complexity of the relationship between Griffin and Stotts in their first year together in Milwaukee. Around the situation on Thursday, there were two perspectives surrounding Stotts’ resignation: His potential difficulty adapting to a bench role under Griffin after more than a decade as a head coach, and the other being a certain treatment and level of respect that needed to be shown to someone with Stotts’ pedigree.

Griffin, a first-time head coach, has emphasized bringing a renewed sense of energy to the organization. Throughout training camp, many players have complimented Griffin’s emphasis on competitiveness and physicality and enjoyed the way in which Griffin has gone about trying to instill more toughness to the organization.

The Bucks hired Stotts to be Griffin’s lead assistant for multiple reasons. Stotts has 13 years of head coaching experience with three different franchises, including nine seasons with the Portland Trail Blazers, and his offensive expertise would play well with Griffin’s defensive focus. Stotts has a 517-486 record in his 13 seasons as head coach in Atlanta, Milwaukee and Portland. Stotts could also be a useful resource for Griffin as he went through various experiences for the first time as a head coach.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

This would've never happened if Griffin just bugged their offices like any other reasonable coach knows to do.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah fired is too strong a word, he was pushed out the door.

My understanding is that the tipping point was during a practice Stotts was finishing up working with Giannis and Dame on something and Griffin got mad. It sounded like a toxic environment.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Jackie D posted:

Build Back Budder

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

havelock posted:

Please hire Jason Kidd away from the Mavs. I don't care how and I don't care who he gets replaced with.

Just watch, the new owners will do something stupid like not fire him at the end of the season to not shake the boat too much while they acclimate to being team owners.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Also, wowee zowee deal zone Miami. Terry is a huge get for them. Turns out not shipping the whole roster for Dame worked out.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

this is going to be merely the first domino in a sequence of domestic violence guys getting fired. Chauncey, you're up

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

tbf to Griffin if the boss asks a group of employees to come over and meet/talk about something, saying naw I’m good over here I got something more important to do won’t go over well

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

In general it is a cool move to fire your coach if he's annoying when you're good. Has the right mindset and you have enough time to find your stride. On the other hand, once you hire Doctor Rivers he remains in place for upwards of 3 years of tense 2nd round games.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Magic dropping some spicy takes this evening

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1749955561469395315

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

I do think their defensive woes are more on coaching than Lillard. Lots of teams have good defenses despite having a bad defensive PG, there's even been very good defenses with Lillard as PG. I think you need someone other than Beasley in the backcourt with Lillard though, I don't know how much of that is coaching vs GM though.

So I see the reasoning even if I think getting rid of your coach at the halfway mark when you're in 2nd place in the East is wild. My guess is the players lost confidence in him.

Doc Rivers would be such a hilarious replacement. Atkinson would make a little more sense but that seems like a lovely situation to step into.

KAT shot 21-35 and 10-15 from 3, so he had a pretty amazing game. His 4th was bad, but the whole team got tunnel vision and stopped defending. It was pretty ugly.

But ultimately if a guy is shooting like that its probably not his fault the game slipped through their fingers.

It's not 100% Dame's fault but they don't have the roster to support him, and the fact they have to play Beasley too really isn't helping.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Dame and Doc are a perfect duo

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Playing all the notes

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1749958651782283278?t=qbCzdp5FNxjgK_bMR8zlEg&s=19

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

tbf to Griffin if the boss asks a group of employees to come over and meet/talk about something, saying naw I’m good over here I got something more important to do won’t go over well

It's hard to know what exactly went down, but I don't think Stotts would make such a big career decision based on something that wasn't disrespectful or outside the norm. On the other hand, maybe he just missed Timbers games.

On a side note, the Blazers are going to easily lose by 20+ to OKC and this would have been easy money for me if I gambled at all as the spread was like ~12pts.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mistermojo posted:

I cant wait to watch them lose. hating is so fun and more importantly, so easy

this

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

he's right

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Magic is delivering a State of the Union at the moment

https://x.com/MagicJohnson/status/1749960452636069931?s=20

https://x.com/MagicJohnson/status/1749966759413903780?s=20

https://x.com/MagicJohnson/status/1749964203581202817?s=20

This is like reading Bolaño

2666 (total points)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I will freak out if the suns trade for miles bridges. That is All, good by

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Dame's decided to start talking and boy he had a whole lot to say

Chris Haynes on the Griffin firing

quote:

Milwaukee was fresh off a first-round defeat by the Miami Heat last season, placing the franchise in a state of unknown.

The Bucks fired Budenholzer and didn't know if they were re-signing Khris Middleton and Brook Lopez. Lopez was receiving heavy traction from Houston in free agency. They also weren't sure if Giannis Antetokounmpo would be extending.

Milwaukee braced for the possibility of taking a step back during the 2023-24 season.

All those factors contributed to why the Bucks felt comfort in offering the head coaching job to someone who never held the title prior.

However, when the Bucks surprisingly pulled off the offseason's biggest acquisition by trading for Damian Lillard, expectations suddenly changed.

And Griffin suddenly found himself in a win-now-or-else proposition.

The defense took a dip, and while the offense has been stellar at times, it lacked fluidity and consistency. Players privately complained about their roles, touches, chemistry and constantly questioned the schemes on both sides of the ball.

Griffin attempted to draw the core players closer by having an airing-out session.

After their loss to the Indiana Pacers in the In-Season Tournament, Griffin called a meeting with Antetokounmpo, Lillard, Middleton and Lopez, sources say.

All four spoke on what was working, what wasn't working and how they could best be utilized. Griffin was stern in telling the players that sacrifice was required, sources say.

He pointed out how some of their teammates would frequently be open when Antetokounmpo and Lillard would drive to the basket. And he called them out for not bringing defensive intensity on a nightly basis.

It was an airing-out session the players appreciated. Milwaukee ended up winning its next seven games. But something still wasn't right. The convincing wins were not there and the bickering in the locker room continued.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I would simply have one of those sessions every seven games and never lose again.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://x.com/PelicansNBA/status/1749972916865741053?s=20

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

kingcobweb posted:

I would simply have one of those sessions every seven games and never lose again.

Be careful as Doc does not handle competition like that

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

Dame's decided to start talking and boy he had a whole lot to say

Chris Haynes on the Griffin firing

Lmao dame sucks so much couldn't handle defensive effort for 7 games

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Metapod posted:

lol

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

wrong thread

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Metapod posted:

Lame Time

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
gently caress a lillard. have some herb, instead.

https://x.com/PelicansNBA/status/1749983651104710782?s=20

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CNN Sports reporting Doc's been named the Bucks head coach.

I'm just shocked they beat Woj/Shams to it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

just what the doc ordered

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gets hired to advise the head coach. Couple months later, that head coach gets fired and he gets hired to step in.

Glenn 'Wormtongue' Rivers, ladies and gentlemen.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

how does Doc keep getting away with this

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Doc Rivers? Lmfao.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Congrats to Celtics and Sixers goons.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Lmao Billups actively giving the other team game-winning points now instead of just being a bad coach in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

That second pic has big trump tennis rear end energy