Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I know its m8, i just thought there was some horrible atrocity on that day that people were referencing

The Germans surrendered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
May 8 is my wedding anniversary and I don't want to have to pay the public holiday charge at restaurants please consider this

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It's about mateship with asses.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
May8theforcebewithu

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I’m shocked that Morrison would leave politics and immediately go to the defence industry, just shocked I tell you.

I really wish they’d do something about that, like at least a token amount of time before they join a deep pocketed industry where they take down millions just for having connections in parliament. Unfortunately it’s another “the people who make the rules benefit, so they won’t change the rules” thing.

Is usb drives of crypto the modern version of bagfuls of cash or is that just a fictional thing?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how much Morrison's connections in Parliament are worth to an employer. I was under the impression that he was not well liked within his party. Along with his well documented managerial incompetence it's not surprising that it took him this long to find a gig

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Recoome posted:

I forget that this joker isn’t Dom Perignon or whatever that forgettable white guy was who took over from Gladys.

He wasn't just a forgettable white guy.

He was an insane religious fundie generic white guy, who lost to NSW labour.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The only defensive thing morrison should see is the inside of a torpedo tube

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

DRINK ME posted:

I really wish they’d do something about that, like at least a token amount of time before they join a deep pocketed industry where they take down millions just for having connections in parliament. Unfortunately it’s another “the people who make the rules benefit, so they won’t change the rules” thing.
8 months is kind of long, most PMs quit shortly after losing or being ousted.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Scomo is probably going to be extremely popular with the incoming American government, I'd hire him to talk military-prosperity complex deals.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
given scomo swore himself in as defense minister isnt this too soon to go into the defense industry?

i swear there was legislation passed to stop that, or is his retirement in feb because thats the soonest he could possibly start work legally?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Spookydonut posted:

given scomo swore himself in as defense minister isnt this too soon to go into the defense industry?

i swear there was legislation passed to stop that, or is his retirement in feb because thats the soonest he could possibly start work legally?

It's meant to be 12 months but lmao if you think someone is monitoring former ministers' phone calls to make sure they aren't doing deals.

E: it's also some poo poo like companies you dealt with while a member, so you just sign up someone that couldn't get a word in with you and away you all go

JBP fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 23, 2024

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
wait what happened to icac i cant remember any news about them lately

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/TonyHWindsor/status/1749726371381993862?t=luMO-4sk_VVIZxSWAf0DQA&s=19

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Spookydonut posted:

wait what happened to icac i cant remember any news about them lately

The NACC can investigate people acting on behalf of a company with a government contract but lol

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

JBP posted:

The NACC can investigate people acting on behalf of a company with a government contract but lol

lol

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

this is the most pathetic poo poo lmao

this is the Australia we celebrate

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Scomo non-executive chairman of American Global Strategies. Lobbying firm for aerospace, defence, logistics and tech.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

EoinCannon posted:

I'm OK with the supermarket duopoly being the Australia Day battleground, it's extremely Australian
Any advertising is good advertising. Especially if it is free.

birdstrike posted:

part of the LNY celebrations
How?

He isn't dead yet.

The only defensive thing morrison should see is the inside of a torpedo tube
Wrong. The front end of a HK 51 would also work.

Seriously this guy is a complete screaming weenie. Why couldn't he have waited the year or so which would mean we don't have to pay for a loving by election? I seriously hated Malcolm Fraser but can't quite raise the energy to dance on his grave. John Howard was absolutely the worst. Then we have NTATA. It is baffling that such a milquetoast waste of space can generate this level of disgust and contempt and yet here we are.

I know its m8, i just thought there was some horrible atrocity on that day that people were referencing
Yes. It's called Australia.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Watch as Labor announces something which will expose them to the “lying labor” trope, energise a conservative base against them while delivering something wholly inadequate.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Everyone knows what's in the package apparently lol. Nice one shorten probably

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Rougey posted:

I've spent fifteen years working in infrastructure in Sydney and most of the last decade entirely in roads and road adjacent spaces.

Hey would love to get your thoughts on the cycle plan if possible.

Ditto for Cat Interceptor.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

It looks ok to me as someone in the first tax bracket and it also seems ok for the second tax bracket earners ie most of the population but I guess the argument that it could be more impactful for those brackets at the expense of the highest tax bracket still is relevant

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Labor should never have supported it in the first place, and absolutely never should have promised to leave it alone.

This entire saga is a completely unforced error on their part and if they'd showed a spine earlier they wouldn't be in the mess. The libs are right here, the ALP did say they wouldn't gently caress with it and now they probably are. The ALP deserve every bit of poo poo they are about to eat for this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

Labor should never have supported it in the first place, and absolutely never should have promised to leave it alone.

This entire saga is a completely unforced error on their part and if they'd showed a spine earlier they wouldn't be in the mess. The libs are right here, the ALP did say they wouldn't gently caress with it and now they probably are. The ALP deserve every bit of poo poo they are about to eat for this.

I think it will be fine. Not enough people are going to care about people on $200k and the vast majority are getting more money now.

They're not winning the next election anyway so they might as well try something on.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

People won’t understand that, the fact that Labor broke a promise is going to get all the airtime.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Idk people will understand if he starts yelling you get $X non stop

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

LABOR

DEBT TAX

CRISIS

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spookydonut posted:

JBP posted:

It's meant to be 12 months but lmao if you think someone is monitoring former ministers' phone calls to make sure they aren't doing deals.

E: it's also some poo poo like companies you dealt with while a member, so you just sign up someone that couldn't get a word in with you and away you all go

I looked it up, ministers have an 18 month lobbying ban in their specific portfolio after they cease to hold office, people who work under them have a 12 month ban and there's a general 12 month lobbying ban above a certain level "relating to any matter that the person had official dealings with in the person’s last 12 months of that employment".

Attorney-General's Department posted:

11. Prohibition on lobbying activities

1. Persons who retire from office as a Minister or a Parliamentary Secretary, must not, for a period of 18 months after they cease to hold office, engage in lobbying activities relating to any matter that they had official dealings with in their last 18 months in office.

2. A person who was previously any of the following:
a. a person employed in the Office of a Minister or Parliamentary Secretary under the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 at adviser level or above;
b. a member of the Australian Defence Force at Colonel level or above (or equivalent);
c. an agency Head or person employed under the Public Service Act 1999 in the Senior Executive Service (or equivalent);
must not, for a period of 12 months after the person ceases such employment, engage in lobbying activities relating to any matter that the person had official dealings with in the person’s last 12 months of that employment
https://www.ag.gov.au/integrity/publications/lobbying-code-conduct

Scummo secretly appointed himself as Minister in the Health, Finance, Industry Science Energy & Resources, Home Affairs and Treasury (but not Defense) and his 18 month lobbying ban in those 5 specific portfolios ended in November 2023 and his general 12 month lobbying ban on "any matter that the person had official dealings with in the person’s last 12 months of that employment" ended in May 2023, as long as sitting on the backbench playing Tetris on his phone doesn't count as having "official dealings" on specific matters.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Recoome posted:

People won’t understand that, the fact that Labor broke a promise is going to get all the airtime.

people will notice that they get more take home pay starting in july and labor can make plenty noise about how 90% of workers are getting more than they would have under the liberals' plan. it's a winnable argument for labor, though they definitely should have done this sooner if they were going to

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

lih posted:

people will notice that they get more take home pay starting in july and labor can make plenty noise about how 90% of workers are getting more than they would have under the liberals' plan. it's a winnable argument for labor, though they definitely should have done this sooner if they were going to

Ok but can you see how whether or not someone technically broke a (bad) promise (that they never should have made) is far more important than good public policy? How am I supposed to find it in me to forgive Albo his perfidy when I can barely hear myself think over the sound of cash pouring into my pockets from this increased tax cut? It’s too much to ask of someone. He’ll have to go.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The perfidious albo

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lih posted:

Again, the reality of something doesn't mean poo poo. We live in a political landscape where optics are 100% of the game, and the fact is that Labor drew a line in the sand and are likely crossing it.

What we will get is smug conservatives who will never shut up about the Perfidious Albo and Lying Labor who Won't Keep Promises and are Fuelling Inflation. All they had to do was not support the Stage 3 cuts in the first place OR not promise to keep them during the election.

To further drive home the point - the ALP ran a reasonably aspirational platform back in 2019 which was shouted down with "Death Tax" and "Bad Economic Managers". It didn't matter how positive the platform was, or how little the average punter would have been impacted. Labor is in the position that they'll be taking a hit no matter what they do, so I really hope they make the most of it rather than doing a half-hearted thing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just cancel negative gearing and get $10b a year ez

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
2% wealth tax for everyone with over $2m of assets and win the game

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Labor should have done this sooner, and not supported it in the first place, but I will give them credit for doing something good even if they did it in the dumbest way possible.

Everyone knew the stage 3 cuts were dogshit, I'm glad that if they are going to do tax cuts they've at least rebalanced them to be not a massive handout to the rich. The economy will loving thank them as well.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The electorate collectively have a memory of about six months there's no way anybody gives a poo poo about this by election time

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The electorate collectively have a memory of about six months there's no way anybody gives a poo poo about this by election time

We still live with the fallout of the deal Labor did with the greens over 10 years ago.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
New labor platform: give me money

Just put it in my bank account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Recoome posted:

We still live with the fallout of the deal Labor did with the greens over 10 years ago.

No idea what you mean sorry, I'm normal