Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I keep hearing about people like this and it's strangely common for being the most unrelatable thing I can imagine.

Why read about them?

It's appropriate and informative to stay up-to-date on cultural phenomena even if one doesn't particularly enjoy consuming them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kenning posted:

It's appropriate and informative to stay up-to-date on cultural phenomena even if one doesn't particularly enjoy consuming them.

She didn't read about other horror films, I think she was intrigued by the puzzle aspects.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kenning posted:

I feel like experiencing a visual medium through some guy summarizing it on Wikipedia doesn't make you that up-to-date on it. It's like reading about a song instead of just listening to it, though to be fair most songs are under 90 minutes.

Full disclosure:
I haven't watched a Saw film since 2005, despite being generally into horror films, but I know the gist of their story just through osmosis:
Old man make sometimes ironic traps, old man die of cancer, gets replaced by apprentice(s?), apprentice makes more evil traps. Puppet ride bike. Cop has dead wife. Timeline makes no sense.

Maybe I should read about them on Wikipedia to make sure but all of that is fairly incidental to the actual content of the film which is the traps and the stupid 2000s music video visuals.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

credburn posted:

Er, it might not be. I was asking... I think it is? I think I recall reading somewhere that it was? Oh no

"Goon made" meaning I believe a goon was on the production team in some way

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, goon panzerskank made it or worked on it.
It also got played fast by Studio at SGDQ'15:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqL7NjlJpoI

I think panzershank is one of the two devs co-commenting the speedrun.

For a video with a preview of someone holding a cheap plastic jerry can near a fire, that's not how I expected that to go.

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Jan 23, 2024

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

FreudianSlippers posted:

I keep hearing about people like this and it's strangely common for being the most unrelatable thing I can imagine.

Why read about them?

I do this for movies I know I won't watch, sometimes to understand cultural references, sometimes olut of curiosity. Recently it was Sophie's Choice, Kuso, and some movie I forget the name of but I've heard reference to a lot but involved too much rape and incest to ever choose to watch.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It also got played fast by Studio at SGDQ'15:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqL7NjlJpoI

I think panzershank is one of the two devs co-commenting the speedrun.

Geoffrey the Skeleton is also voiced by (former?) goon Medibot, who was part of the crew that first showcased the infamously horrible Sonic '06 in our very own Let's Play forum

Also Jon Bois is a loving treasure and I will read, watch and listen to all he has to say, even his admittedly present padding in some of his videos

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Air Skwirl posted:

I dated a girl who hated horror movies but anytime there was a new Saw she would read the wikipedia summary.

There's that Tom Cardy song about reading horror movie summaries on wikipedia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLI09EVqnOk

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Jan 24, 2024

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Tree Bucket posted:

There's that Tom Cardy song about reading horror movie summaries on wikipedia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLI09EVqnOk

There's also that Tom Cardy song about being a buisiness man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBE9TZP26FI

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I bought a friend Roundabout a couple of years back and I think it was his game of the year. It's a lot of fun and worth picking up.

This year I bought him Unicorn Dungeon.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

There's also that Tom Cardy song about being a buisiness man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBE9TZP26FI

There's also this collab between bdg and Tom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w1wwGcu0Dk

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Caedus posted:

Huh, I guess there's a cooldown before the golden parachute kicks in

I can hear my dad laughing his rear end off from the other side of the country :)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Splicer posted:

There's different value between a summary and a story. The John Bois video tells a fun little story that I, a non-american who therefore has no idea how the sport works, was able to follow easily. It also includes a lot of extra context; I had no idea who Randy Johnson is or why that was relevant, and the Wikipedia link does not mention that this was Koo's second time at bat in over a decade of professional baseball or that his first time at bat was three strikes no swing 5 days earlier.

Clearly he experienced an incredibly intense SPORTS TRAINING MONTAGE in those 5 days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjO9xeXmuTY

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

iwentdoodie posted:

That's literally just Jon Bois. His videos have been the same since before he put them on YT. It's just how he does poo poo.

But hey you got to show how much better than other people you are, so have a gold star for outstanding media literacy in the who fuckin cares category.

For people who still have joy in their lives, Football 17776 is one of the best long form weird rear end things ever

I like the linked story, but I just can't stand his videos :shrug:

E: still, I'm not going to declare that they are therefore bad videos.

The Killer Dynamo
May 31, 2011

Gonna have a good time tonight

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why read about them?

I do this! I love horror aesthetic and find the stories intriguing and interesting, but am both a huge weenie and I can't stomach gore. Reading a clinical, matter-of-fact description of the plot of Midsommar lets me enjoy it without The Ick.

It is, I can admit, a deeply weird habit.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

bucksmash posted:

Geoffrey the Skeleton is also voiced by (former?) goon Medibot, who was part of the crew that first showcased the infamously horrible Sonic '06 in our very own Let's Play forum

Also Jon Bois is a loving treasure and I will read, watch and listen to all he has to say, even his admittedly present padding in some of his videos
You're absolutely right, I'd completely forgotten about that.

Yeah, it looks like medibot hasn't posted since 2015.
For some reason the thing that stands out the most to me from back then is the Coldstone Creamery thing, but that thing has long since disappeared off the internet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bucksmash posted:

Also the amazing Four Swords LP setup.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why read about them?

In my case it's because I'm curious about what's in a film but I'm way too much of a weenie to handle visual gore.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Killer Dynamo posted:

I do this! I love horror aesthetic and find the stories intriguing and interesting, but am both a huge weenie and I can't stomach gore. Reading a clinical, matter-of-fact description of the plot of Midsommar lets me enjoy it without The Ick.

It is, I can admit, a deeply weird habit.

Often I see a preview for a movie that looks somewhat interesting but I 100% know that I am never going to make the effort to see, so I just look it up and read a synopsis so my brain can file away 'that's what the monster/murderer is'. I also don't particularly like gore or jump-scare stuff so I'm even less motivated to see those films, but get vaguely curious about them.

My mom reads the last few pages of a book before starting it so she can confirm that it's not going to end in a way she doesn't like before she gets invested, so clearly I come from a cursed bloodline.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ommin posted:

You deserve physical harm for this,

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
The way I understood the post that first mentioned this the idea was that some person would read the plot synopsis for a movie they were about to see, which struck me as super weird.

Reading about movies you know you'll never get around to seeing is understandable - I do it a lot because I have small kids and not much free time.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ommin posted:

ew

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

jeebus bob posted:

The way I understood the post that first mentioned this the idea was that some person would read the plot synopsis for a movie they were about to see, which struck me as super weird.

I used to work with someone that would do this to decide if a movie would be worth their time, and then afterwards they’d complain that the movie wasn’t very interesting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Count me as another one who's interested in horror movies conceptually but a huge baby about gore and helpless people dying graphically. They often have fun concepts to theorise and talk about, with intricate plots, creative setups and cool monsters, but especially 90s/00s horror can get too meanspirited to be an easy watch for sensitive people. I did get around to watching Nope eventually.

Excellent work, 47.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Excellent work, 47.
Huh, I didn't know that was an option, I just dropped the light rig on him.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

My wife has really bad ADHD and will read the synopsis for a movie before she watches it so she can follow along when her attention wanes. I wouldn't do it myself but for that it makes a lot of sense, it's easier to follow if you know what's going on after all.

But what kind of psychopath substitutes the wiki plot entry for the whole experience, is joy so foreign

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Count me as another one who's interested in horror movies conceptually but a huge baby about gore and helpless people dying graphically. They often have fun concepts to theorise and talk about, with intricate plots, creative setups and cool monsters, but especially 90s/00s horror can get too meanspirited to be an easy watch for sensitive people. I did get around to watching Nope eventually.

Excellent work, 47.

I get it. I know it's fake, but my brain kind of sits there saying "um geez that guy is getting dismembered, that's not good!"
Body horror stuff in particular leaves big fat wounds in my mind that take like a week or two to go away. It's inconvenient for someone who's otherwise really into scifi...

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I sometimes read a Wikipedia plot synopsis on a movie before watching it and spoilers never really bother me because I'm a dumbass. I'm careful not to spoil poo poo for others, of course.

I love gory movies because it's always so over the top and loving cartoonish but when there's gore/extreme violence out of nowhere, it always kinda fucks me up, like the elevator scene in Drive and some movie someone told me about that I watched a clip of involving a very violent beating with a fire extinguisher that comes out of nowhere. That stuff is always way more impactful because everything else is grounded in reality compared to someone's entire skin getting ripped off in that Silent Hill movie or some dumb contraption in a Saw movie.

There is nothing wrong with being put off by gory movies though, no matter how comical it seems to some of us. Stuff affects us all differently.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Jan 24, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

You're absolutely right, I'd completely forgotten about that.

Yeah, it looks like medibot hasn't posted since 2015.
For some reason the thing that stands out the most to me from back then is the Coldstone Creamery thing, but that thing has long since disappeared off the internet.

Iirc a whole bunch of the bigger LPers left after the Shmorky debacle, namely how Lowtax 'dealt' with it, leading to... I think PsychedelicEyeball saying it was not cool having his daughter be part of it.

Ah, that's probably on the SA history thread.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I read the wikis for movies that sound interesting but I'm not sure if I wanna waste 2 hours of my time trying to watch.

If the wiki makes it seem like it'll be good, I'll give it a shot. 90% of the time though it's just "wonder what weird new poo poo jigsaw came up with".

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

iwentdoodie posted:

But hey you got to show how much better than other people you are, so have a gold star for outstanding media literacy in the who fuckin cares category.

Here's your Gold Star :skeltal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDC9Ukmbi5U

Still trundling along with uBO and SB on Opera and don't see ads or sponsor segments.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Full disclosure:
I haven't watched a Saw film since 2005, despite being generally into horror films, but I know the gist of their story just through osmosis:
Old man make sometimes ironic traps, old man die of cancer, gets replaced by apprentice(s?), apprentice makes more evil traps. Puppet ride bike. Cop has dead wife. Timeline makes no sense.

Maybe I should read about them on Wikipedia to make sure but all of that is fairly incidental to the actual content of the film which is the traps and the stupid 2000s music video visuals.

Per the horror movies thread, Saw X is the best one in years and is a good follow up to the first one, which was widely regarded as the best one until now. So just watch 1 then 10 and you'll be caught up with the good stuff.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also the amazing Four Swords LP setup.

Freelance Astronauts yeah? I remember the photos of the GigaCube they Exquisite Corpse'd together so they could record 4 handheld screens plus the common area on the main TV all at once.

Air Skwirl posted:

You deserve physical harm for this,

CinemaSins is bad. Should at least be watching the Pitch Meeting videos instead :v:

Takes No Damage has a new favorite as of 08:49 on Jan 24, 2024

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I can watch the most goriest horror movie no problem but depictions of slavery, really brutal racism or animal cruelty are too much for ol TW.

Dead Alive or Terrifier? No issue. 12 Years a Slave? gently caress that, absolutely loving not.

The “no animal abuse” depictions do indeed encompass the horror films that actually straight up show actual animals being harmed. poo poo like Re-Animator is totally fine as it’s clearly fake. Still want to see Wake in Fright but I’ve been warned

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I finally watched Prey and the dog is basically the goodest dog ever as established in the first 3 minutes. I had to immediately check if the dog survives the movie. Of course it does but many animals didn't.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BlackIronHeart posted:

I finally watched Prey and the dog is basically the goodest dog ever as established in the first 3 minutes. I had to immediately check if the dog survives the movie. Of course it does but many animals didn't.

https://www.doesthedogdie.com/media/816546

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Huh, I didn't know that was an option, I just dropped the light rig on him.

I was thinking the phoenix. I'm not sure if the Hitman games have ever come up in the OSHA thread but there's pretty much a running gag of them. Especially in the winery.

teen witch posted:

I can watch the most goriest horror movie no problem but depictions of slavery, really brutal racism or animal cruelty are too much for ol TW.

Dead Alive or Terrifier? No issue. 12 Years a Slave? gently caress that, absolutely loving not.

The “no animal abuse” depictions do indeed encompass the horror films that actually straight up show actual animals being harmed. poo poo like Re-Animator is totally fine as it’s clearly fake. Still want to see Wake in Fright but I’ve been warned

I think it's all about the stuff that strikes close to home. Scenes of cringe comedy and social humiliation are just awful for a lot of people. And yeah, Wake in Fright's last third is apparently just nonstop mostly real kangaroo murder.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

That's the one!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was thinking the phoenix. I'm not sure if the Hitman games have ever come up in the OSHA thread but there's pretty much a running gag of them. Especially in the winery.

The Winery is amazing for so many ways to make a practical OSHA lesson.

The Wine Tour alone is an amuse-bouche of ways to cause a most unfortunate, and horrific, accident.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

BlackIronHeart posted:

TBF most of the other animals in that movie are pretty dodgy CGI. Trigger Warning for anyone who loves French fur traders though.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Non, les commerçants de fourrures ! C'est terrible! Presque aussi terrible que de massacrer le français avec google translate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Unperson_47 posted:

and some movie someone told me about that I watched a clip of involving a very violent beating with a fire extinguisher that comes out of nowhere.

That would be Gaspar Noe's Irreversible, which is also famous for containing another incredibly brutal and harrowing scene of a different nature I won't go into.

But why would you go looking for clips of that stuff if you know you hate it and it's gonna traumatise you?