Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Rebel Blob posted:

"Grossbritannien" is much better, we should adopt it for the English language. Großbritannien is for cowards.

Finally, the conquest of schweizerdeutsch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Wipfmetz posted:

What a weird post for somebody who knows "Valentina" only as a female forename.

It's one of the main (or the main?) Mexican hot sauces. The somewhat-less-common black label bottle is spicier than the standard red label bottle.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Staluigi posted:

i don't know what nanitas finest or monroe's are but if they are the chosen of colorado and new mexico then this must be respected as evidence they are the top contenders

https://monroeschile.com/product/jar-red-chile/

It's good poo poo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
lol that South Dakota considers Ketchup and Mayonnaise to be "spices."

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They sell at at Walmart! Even the black Valentina

I will have to brave my local walmart, despite it having the absolute worst parking lot and entrance of all time (it also used to be a disaster inside but it's gotten a lot better in the past few years)

Saladman posted:

It's one of the main (or the main?) Mexican hot sauces. The somewhat-less-common black label bottle is spicier than the standard red label bottle.

i had a coworker once who kept the big chonker black label on his desk.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

lol that South Dakota considers Ketchup and Mayonnaise to be "spices."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you - in case I'm not, despite the misleading title, it's a hot-sauce map, not a spice map, and Heinz makes hot sauce. It's just saying of all the hot sauce delivered by instacart in SD, the most common brand is Heinz.

I do wonder how much it skews the data that it's specific to instacart delivery. Instacart consumers, I imagine, skew higher income, maybe more likely to live in denser parts of the state where delivery apps have more drivers/stores to access, more likely every adult in the household is full-time employed.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 24, 2024

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't know what Instacart is and I vote.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I will have to brave my local walmart, despite it having the absolute worst parking lot and entrance of all time (it also used to be a disaster inside but it's gotten a lot better in the past few years)

i had a coworker once who kept the big chonker black label on his desk.

The last time I bought Valentina at Walmart was about 3 years ago and the regular size bottle was literally about 90 cents. I'm sure it's probably $4 by now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Politically loaded if true

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

The last time I bought Valentina at Walmart was about 3 years ago and the regular size bottle was literally about 90 cents. I'm sure it's probably $4 by now.

I bought a bottle of it last month and it was around $8.

It was in Zurich though. 🇨🇭

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

"Instacart calculated the average share (by volume) of hot sauce purchased via Instacart in 2023 for each brand in each state as well for the nation overall, and calculated the difference to determine which brand had the highest share above the national average."

So if I'm understanding that correctly, it means that if the nationwide sales are something like this:
Sriracha: 50%
Tabasco: 49%
Brand X: 1%

And the state of West Fromage looks like this:
Sriracha: 51% (+1 from national)
Tabasco: 46% (-3)
Brand X: 3% (+2)

Then the entire state gets labeled for Brand X. Even though it's in last place, it has the "highest share above the national average".

I guess this method can make for more interesting maps by highlighting regional favorites that would otherwise be completely swamped by the actual huge sellers, but it still feels a little disingenuous.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Saladman posted:

I bought a bottle of it last month and it was around $8.

It was in Zurich though. 🇨🇭

Where in ZH?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's like Instagram but for pictures of carts (go and/or mine)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mano posted:

Where in ZH?

Jelmoli, in the hot sauce section next to the beers. It looks like the Jelmoli tax was $3 of that $8 (assuming I remember the price right, but almost positive it was CHF6.90 or CHF7.90). The label on the back says it was imported by elsol.ch, which lists a small bottle online for CHF4.30... plus CHF12 for shipping. If you want a bunch of other things at the same time, that could make sense instead of going to Jelmoli.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

"Instacart calculated the average share (by volume) of hot sauce purchased via Instacart in 2023 for each brand in each state as well for the nation overall, and calculated the difference to determine which brand had the highest share above the national average."

So if I'm understanding that correctly, it means that if the nationwide sales are something like this:

Then the entire state gets labeled for Brand X. Even though it's in last place, it has the "highest share above the national average".

I guess this method can make for more interesting maps by highlighting regional favorites that would otherwise be completely swamped by the actual huge sellers, but it still feels a little disingenuous.

Yeah, that's how all of these sharable "which thing does your state like" maps are made, measuring only the difference from national. This one is even slightly less bullshit, since it didn't additionally twist things to make sure every state has a different result. And since it bothered to explain its methodology on the image.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Saladman posted:

Jelmoli, in the hot sauce section next to the beers. It looks like the Jelmoli tax was $3 of that $8 (assuming I remember the price right, but almost positive it was CHF6.90 or CHF7.90). The label on the back says it was imported by elsol.ch, which lists a small bottle online for CHF4.30... plus CHF12 for shipping. If you want a bunch of other things at the same time, that could make sense instead of going to Jelmoli.

Ty

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

I suppose it's technically not wrong but...

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

This is actually phenomenally good methodology relative to the way these maps usually work which is something like 'we did a google search in each state to see what the top suggested result was and then ran that through the random() function in excel'

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Item Getter posted:

I fail to see a problem with this map? Yes, it's a bit distorted so that Greenland and Iceland make sense, but it's just difficult to project the surface of an 3D object on a 2D surface. And this approach is imho superior to cutting Greenland in half.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Item Getter posted:

I'm way, WAY more worried about the half-visible clock in the top right. That thing is hideous.

Powered Descent posted:

Hence "uniquely popular". Not sure if there's a good/better phrase to convey what they're trying to.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The "Oceania" label on Australia is just funny to me even if it's technically not wrong. Like most of the other islands that would fall under that label are small enough to not appear on the map so it feels like it's just calling Australia an odd name.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Zurich must be really nice for people to put up with those prices...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/umichvoter/status/1750225107748847668

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Item Getter posted:

it even has NZ

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I get that the point is population density, but in a way it's still impressive that there's a vast, continuous area in the middle of the United States, larger than many notable actual countries, where not a single county (or close to it) voted Democratic. That's some primo polarization.

Related, results are in for the 2024 Republican presidential primary in New Hampshire:

Similarly to Iowa, Trump came in first in every county, except one. Also similarly to Iowa, the single Haley county is the location of a major university, in this case Darthmouth College (as well as the lesser-known Plymouth State University).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not particularly surprising if you consider that the incumbent parties get to control the voting process. Why would you not arrange it so everywhere returns the vote you want?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

OwlFancier posted:

It's not particularly surprising if you consider that the incumbent parties get to control the voting process. Why would you not arrange it so everywhere returns the vote you want?

Counties aren't set by political parties.

Most counties on the east coast are 300+ years old.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, that sounds more like gerrymandering, which is how the US ended up with all these hosed up-looking electoral districts that get redrawn every few years.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I get that the point is population density, but in a way it's still impressive that there's a vast, continuous area in the middle of the United States, larger than many notable actual countries, where not a single county (or close to it) voted Democratic. That's some primo polarization.

Related, results are in for the 2024 Republican presidential primary in New Hampshire:

Similarly to Iowa, Trump came in first in every county, except one. Also similarly to Iowa, the single Haley county is the location of a major university, in this case Darthmouth College (as well as the lesser-known Plymouth State University).

It’s also the map from 2016, not 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Counties aren't set by political parties.

Most counties on the east coast are 300+ years old.
I assume they're referring to even more nefarious means.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Even in the most red areas some people still voted for Biden. It's a purple country. Maps are beautiful and wonderful but they can be misleading.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Zurich must be really nice for people to put up with those prices...

Zurich is imo eh till meh, but the salaries are nice

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Even in the most red areas some people still voted for Biden. It's a purple country. Maps are beautiful and wonderful but they can be misleading.

Famously California I think has more Republican voters than any other state except maybe Texas

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Famously California I think has more Republican voters than any other state except maybe Texas

Including Texas - in 2020 Trump got 5,890,347 votes in Texas and 6,006,429 in California.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I assume they're referring to even more nefarious means.

So nefarious they can't even tell us what they are.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Mano posted:

Zurich is imo eh till meh, but the salaries are nice

They've got that secret organization that's going to save us all from climate change, God bless Zurich

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

They've got that secret organization that's going to save us all from climate change, God bless Zurich

The World Economic Forum? They're in Davos like 2 hours away.

Here's a map! Home purchase prices in Zurich in 2019. CHF is 1.1x the Euro and 1.2x the USD. 1 m2 is 10.7 sq ft.

The city center is in the center of the image, at the confluence of the two rivers; the long building crossing the river is the train station. The red area to the east side of the lake is called the Goldcoast, which you can probably figure out based on the color scale. Everything will be way more expensive now, since real estate was bargain-basement prices back in July 2019. It makes me surprised at how cheap real estate is in San Francisco.

Zurich's great for living, not as interesting for a tourist. It's probably the cleanest city in Europe too, and definitely the best organized.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I went to Zürich between Christmas and New Year's Eve. It's nice. The Kunsthaus museum is a great recommendation - you can easily spend two days there. In terms of architecture I thought Luzern was more interesting though.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Saladman posted:

The World Economic Forum? They're in Davos like 2 hours away.

Here's a map! Home purchase prices in Zurich in 2019. CHF is 1.1x the Euro and 1.2x the USD. 1 m2 is 10.7 sq ft.

The city center is in the center of the image, at the confluence of the two rivers; the long building crossing the river is the train station. The red area to the east side of the lake is called the Goldcoast, which you can probably figure out based on the color scale. Everything will be way more expensive now, since real estate was bargain-basement prices back in July 2019. It makes me surprised at how cheap real estate is in San Francisco.

Zurich's great for living, not as interesting for a tourist. It's probably the cleanest city in Europe too, and definitely the best organized.

TIL that I've been misreading Davos as Davao this whole time and assuming the meeting was in the Philippines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's named after the bad guy from doctor who.