Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Courts being explicit parts of the budget process feels very strange to my America-shaped political sensibilities, since here they really like to pretend that they do not care about "clearly political things". Also, no king-like pardon powers for the President, or does Duda just not want to use them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

Out of ten what is the chance that one or both are innocent (of these charges, not overall)?

Yeah, they got investigated for entrapment and had a court case where they were found guilty. It also lead to their victim committing suicide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrzej_Lepper?wprov=sfti1#2007_political_developments

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Courts being explicit parts of the budget process feels very strange to my America-shaped political sensibilities, since here they really like to pretend that they do not care about "clearly political things". Also, no king-like pardon powers for the President, or does Duda just not want to use them?

The argument over the scope of the presidential pardon in Poland goes back to the interwar period, but even then the consensus was the president can pardon people only after all appeals have been exhausted - otherwise, a blanket pardon for possible future crimes could be applied, giving the president royal powers which we don’t want him to have.

Duda, who has a law PhD, is ignoring years of established legal precedent and is basically saying “nope, I can propose expunge any crime whenever I want!”. In reality, he can reduce the time served and have the crime expunged from some records, but he has no legal right to consider a court sentence null and void. In other words, he can’t unmake a criminal but he claims he can.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Also, no king-like pardon powers for the President, or does Duda just not want to use them?

Part of the issue here is that Duda claims that the two MPs were already successfully pardoned by him 8 years ago. However as mentioned above, that happened before the appeal process ended so he was in effect pardoning (still) innocent people. That was done because even with a pardon you can't be an MP if you've been convicted, so it was seen as a One Quick Trick Judges Don't Want You To Learn About to get them into Sejm.

Edit:

Mokotow posted:

Duda, who has a law PhD, is ignoring years of established legal precedent and is basically saying “nope, I can propose expunge any crime whenever I want!”.
You've also got another Duda criticising Duda video from a few years back.

https://www.rp.pl/prawo-karne/art10426401-akt-laski-co-andrzej-duda-mowil-w-2011-roku

mmkay fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 10, 2024

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

First time in a long while I had a good laugh from a Polish meme

(Title: who opened the presidential palace doors)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Claims to be Für Deutschland, but doesn't Raute. Kurios.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Lepper 'killed himself' the same way Epstein did

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

goblin week posted:

Lepper 'killed himself' the same way Epstein did

In that Lepper was actually murdered, or just in the sense that "regardless of who actually killed him, someone besides Lepper was responsible for his death"? I always was under the impression Lepper's suicide was an actual suicide, but I'd love to know more if that's not the case.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I don’t think there was ever any suspicion or murder investigation. He was heavily in debt and lost his political clout.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

PiS demo day today! Judging by the pics from the busses PiS is using to bring people in, the average age will be higher than the number of participants. It’s also snowing, icy and windy here today, and they want to march from the Sejm to the the TVP building downtown 2km away so I expect the orthopedic wards will fill up as the day goes on.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Weather in Warsaw is absolutely dreadful. Snow, wind and below freezing. Heavy fog/smog too. They should have made the protests on Saturday when it's supposed to be warmer. I froze my rear end off during 15 minute walk..

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Lol Duda just announced he's going to pardon them again

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
The world press is finally labeling this a 'political meltdown in Poland'.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

goblin week posted:

Lol Duda just announced he's going to pardon them again

Not really, though! There are two procedures - one where he directly commutes the sentence, and another, where he is asking the courts to reconsider. He's using the second procedure, moving the issue on to the courts and the minister of justice, while trying to guilt them into a pre-trial release from prison, which is in theory allowed. He's still not taking responsibility for his decision, but there's a twist also! The court path requires the convicted to show remorse and good conduct. In the first 24 hours, both Kaminski and Wasik have not accepted their guilt and Kamisnki opted to go on a hunger strike and passive resistance, which will not endear him to the court commission ruling on the issue.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Supposedly Musk and Shapiro will be coming to Poland to visit Auschwitz and I'm annoyed we are importing dumbshits when we have more than enough of our own. Speaking of, Czarnek send Engrish tweet at musk urging him to visit Wąsik and Kaminski in prison. It's like orobouros of poo poo - a snake sucking its own dick

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

* Ponglish

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poglish?wprov=sfti1

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Thank you from the mountain for the link.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Without small garden, I ask very

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
If I was the other two guys sentenced in that case I'd be so mad

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Wholly Chao

https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1750557371628187732

Strelkov was finally sent to prison. Not for shooting down MH17 or invading Donbass in 2014 of course.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Hopefully he’ll live to see justice in the Hague, but Strelkov is out of this thread’s purview.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Terrorist Girkin seems to be an extremely Eastern Europe topic but seems like there's not much to the story. Putin got upset at his constant doom-posting and sent him to the gulag :shrug:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Just went through a traumatic experience, shopping at Żabka with Grzegorz Braun. I wanted to do the goon thing and try a zinger on him, like “you sure don’t seem to be buying a lot of Polish products!!!!haha” (dude is really into the Kinder chocolates and chugs it down with Coke) but the truth of the matter is he was super low-key, spoke delicately and was courteous to the Żabka staff, so I’m not sure it would have landed as swell as I’d hope it too.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Too cute!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1751834974100054211

https://theins.press/en/politics/268694

quote:

Tatjana Zdanoka, a Latvian member of the European Parliament, has been a trusted asset of Russian intelligence since at least 2005, The Insider, in collaboration with the news site Delfi Estonia, Latvia’s Re:Baltica investigative journalism center, and Sweden’s Expressen newspaper, can disclose. Leaked emails between Zdanoka and her two known Russian case officers include explicit, detailed reports from Zdanoka to her handlers describing her work as a European legislator, particularly as those official duties relate to fostering pro-Kremlin sentiment in her native Baltic region.

the editors chose a truly wonderful pic of her handler

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Those emails sound like some great reading - I hope they make them public.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It's gonna be a little awkward when she uses her MEP immunity to flee to Russia to avoid treason charges.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the nominees for the extremely consequential march 2024 russian presidential elections are out

https://twitter.com/russian_monitor/status/1742848549799248048

aside from the wonderful photos of the self-nominated candidates (and Malenkovich), Nadezhdin hasn't been discarded outright and there's a curveball women candidate from the Donetsk People's Reublic!

stay tuned for Nadezhdin's signatures being discarded unless the powers that be decide they want to run an impromptu sociological survey and fun statistics on who the gently caress votes for New People for some reason

free Bogdanov pins to anyone that wants em

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Am I reading that graphic right that the woman in the middle of the farthest right column is self nominated, and is named "Russian Rada/Council"?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

burnishedfume posted:

Am I reading that graphic right that the woman in the middle of the farthest right column is self nominated, and is named "Russian Rada/Council"?

Council O'Russians, yes. She's a beauty blogger.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
What's the deal with the dude with the fake presidential collar?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

What's the deal with the dude with the fake presidential collar?

He's a freemason. Really.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
All of them except the first and last ones seem more credible than the likely US prez candidates.

Also I'm surprised that there is no lookalike of Nadezhdin with a near identical name.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

When I was doing full-time volunteer work to regain the licence to practice I had given up, I was receiving welfare in Poland: 388 zł for housing and 200 zł for groceries.

That's far less than it costs to rent a small room or eat cheap but balanced meals. I only made it with the help of people who know who they are (and some who don't). But social assistance is tight everywhere, even in 'rich' countries like the UK and even Canada. This isn't about that.

What is getting to me is that the last month I was receiving welfare, I received only the housing benefit. They told me that they didn't have enough to pay out any food benefits this month. Not that the payments would be late. Just that they weren't going out at all. That this happens sometimes towards the end of the year and when the budget runs low.

I don't care if this also happens in places like the US. It shouldn't happen here. Under any government. 200 zł per recipient is nothing from a budgetary perspective but is the difference between people not having to rely on family/friends/acquaintances/charities/food banks/begging on the street for every meal as opposed to just some of them.

This needs more attention. In a properly run government this would cause a crisis the same way as the budget for the military, the police, ambulances, politicians' own salaries, border security, and paying off national debt would cause when a payment can't be made.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That's crazy! Who was responsible for the payments? ZUS?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Nah. The Miejski Ośrodek Pomocy Społecznej. But maybe they're different agencies in different voivodes?

I certainly don't get the impression of corruption and I don't get the impression of mismanagement. But if it is the case that it all comes out of one budget, and therefore buying a few more new chairs and taking on a few additional workers or paying some unexpected bills may dip into what is needed to make payments, this needs to be fixed ASAP.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I made a quick check and the good news is that the payment can’t be declined, just delayed. Your right to this money comes from civil law. Technically there shouldn’t be a situation that there’s no money on the local level, because it’s financed centrally and then distributed locally, but aberrations can and do happen. However, these are delays and the money is not lost, so ultimately you can start a legal process to get paid. I am surprised they didn’t tell you this though.

Some reading: https://wartowiedziec.pl/serwis-glowny/aktualnosci/473-samorzdom-brakuje-pienidzy-na-wypat-zasikow-z-pomocy-spoecznej

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Mokotow posted:

However, these are delays and the money is not lost, so ultimately you can start a legal process to get paid. I am surprised they didn’t tell you this though.

Thank you. But for me the money is lost if I have to open a legal action. That's just not happening. But I do want to know what I can do to help prevent this from bowling over others.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

nvm

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Nice Polish touch in True Detective episode 4 - there's graffiti on a wall spelling CHWDP, which is like ACAB only more vulgar.

While it might seem it's unlikely a Pole of the CHWDP wall-writing variety would make it to the far north of Alaska, the series was actually filmed in Reykjavík and Polish people apparently love to emigrate there for work.