Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Real Yakuza use a Gamepad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Real Yakuza use a Gamepad

Man, thanks for reminding me I still have over 24 hours to wait for Infinite Wealth

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Since I finished Alkaline for Quake again I thought I'd give a detailed review, previously I played its first release and I just went through 1.2 with all of the new maps.

I had a few issues here and there the first time around, I'd just come off of Arcane Dimensions so was really hankering to play something to that standard again, so I think I felt more critical of some of the rough edges in comparison to AD. Unfair I know, its like comparing every painting you see to the Mona Lisa, but still. Happily, the additional maps and rejigging of the existing content considerably elevate Alkaline 1.2 compared to my first time on the Merry Go Round, to be completely honest I'm pretty comfortable comparing it to AD and I think they are almost on the same quality level at this point, maybe Alkaline is still a little bit edged out by Arcane Dimensions but its a close run thing, and they do have different strengths.

The main thing about Alkaline is I just love the huge fleshing out it does for the sci-fi themes in OG Quake that, probably unsurprisingly considering its troubled development, didn't really come to full fruition when only the first map of each world had that theme. Its the enemy roster that really brings it to life, everything has been done to fit the theme, there's a massive new legion of assholes to shoot nails into, a far cry from the 2 enemy types you say in the sci-fi levels in Vanilla Quake (along with the Centroids in Scourge of Armagon). They all slot into the game almost perfectly between things like bomb throwing drones, giant death robots and elite troopers. I know a lot of them are some variety of reskins for the Eldrich enemies that otherwise wouldn't slot too well into the sci-fi setting, I think everything from Ogres to Shamblers have some kind of techy equivalent, but the enemies that act differently really stood out all the same, my favourites were probably the large robots (mostly because their hitbox mean they catch every grenade in a 5 mile radius) and the Lieutenants who felt like good high level enemy who didn't show up too often but could kill you stone dead in no time at all if you weren't careful. The flamethrower guys were also a good addition in being incredibly dangerous if you were boxed into a small area with them but being reasonable to handle with more space.

In terms of the levels, its fascinating playing these old FPS games and seeing how far beyond the original releases the community ends up pushing things. I do love me some regular old quake, but like I alluded to you can really see the strains that Id was working under when making that game, something like Alkaline just ends up having a lot more unity of purpose, in addition to 25+ years of mapping experience and engine know how people have gained over that time with less constraints based on hardware or having to make it approachable to mainstream audiences. That can have some downsides, there's some maps and moments within other maps where they feel like they really pushed the difficulty too far and made it more obnoxious than anything else, there's a number of maps that considerably outstay their welcome and feel like they are trying to cram way too much in between the collectable elements, platforming and puzzles in addition to the normal combat. There's also some clunkers, either too long, too difficult, too arcane with things like secrets, boring to play, or usually some combination of all of these. Despite that, overall its some of the best Quake experience I've ever had. Its particularly interesting because I just finished Quake 2 remastered at the same time I finished Alkaline, I still have to give the Machine Games campaign a proper try but just generally Alkaline feels like Quake 2 (in the sense that they are both sci-fi focused Quake titles) but better in basically every way I can think of. Additionally, coming off tons of Doom Wads its very nice to see high level community maps for a full 3D title and all of the additional dimensions that brings with it.

For now I'll go through my top five maps (in no particular order, I played everything on Nightmare) and observations about them:

1. Foundation for Corruption: Very short but also very tough considering the length, I really, really dig the cyberpunk city aesthetic and soundtrack, it feels very different from anything else I've ever seen in Quake but it works bizarrely well, hits the mark at feeling like a late 90s city level. The Length helps a lot, the encounters hit very hard but you blast through the map so quickly that it doesn't even matter much if you die over and over, I really like maps with a sense of verticality and this has that in spades with you working your way up and down different levels of a building site dealing with ogres, drones and troops shooting up or down at you. I'm also surprised at how well balanced the close quarters fighting is, the map is very small and all of the arenas are these precarious fights in small spaces over deadly drops but it never feels frustrating in the way other maps can. The secrets are very gratifying to find, especially the quad damages that can be absolutely crucial in some of the tighter fights, including the final showdown on the roof.

2. Dismal Signal Reforged: Its kind of funny how there must be at least five levels in Alkaline that have the basic theme be "science expedition uncovers Eldrich horrors and allow them to invade reality", this is probably the best version of that, the map is massive but very well put together so it feels as though you are constantly making progress and not getting lost. The secrets are well put together and thought out, its extremely pretty and I love the way it transitions from some kind of lava fuelled techbase into a weird temple with floating rocks and strange symbols populated by fantastical creatures, the first area has a lot of vertical space and nooks and crannies as you jump over pits avoiding the lava and it flattens out to more traditional arenas. The fights are fair and well balanced to boot, generally nothing too tough, even with the giant statue enemies at the end.

3. Beneath a Silicon Eclipse: A lot of levels have this mechanic where you collect circuit boards to unlock other areas or items. Some of them are more elaborate than others, but that often means pushing the concept to such an extreme that it really overstays its welcome and turns the whole map into a slog where you are trawling everywhere trying to find a board (the worst for this by far is Overengineering Mania, which has 50 circuit boards in the level and you need to get them all to find the secret easter egg, it doesn't help that the entire map is a dreary, confusing maze without many notable areas and with more than 400 enemies). Beneath a Silicon Eclipse makes this the least intrusive, in part because the map is just fundamentally well designed with a good sense of progress and with the boards in question being well hidden in the sense that you feel clever when you figure out how to get them and you don't think 'that's bullshit, how could I have known that without noclip or a walkthrough?'. The encounters are really well designed here, there's lots of back and forth and opening up new areas in places you have already been too that adds in new, tough enemy combos, activating elevators to get around and so on. The secrets tend to lead to more hidden encounters that give you a major payoff like quad damage which I find a lot more gratifying than opening a door to an extra health pack or something. If you find all of the boards it leads to a massive optional confrontation where everything is thrown at you, its great.

4. The Early Bird Gets the 17-Centimeter Fromitz Board: Its funny that I had a negative reaction to Overengineering Mania while this one really clicked with me. I think its just that it was a lot more clever about the integration of the circuit board mechanic, for one the map is a lot more solidly designed and less confusing, being concentrated around a central axial pillar, its also more open and less dreary with additional elements like an outdoor space environment. The main thing though is that as you find the boards you get these major rewards, the jump boots, that you give you first double and then triple jumps. Its just results in a really clever and well put together sense of level progression that comes with improving player mobility and offensive power, tangible rewards from finding the boards, which themselves feel fun to find and again are well enough hidden to feel gratifying without being frustrating. All of the arenas are well put together and very exciting to fight in, especially at the end where they throw a surprise Shambler at you for your trouble.

5. Dancing in the Golden Sun: While I said this list is in no particular order, I'm kind of lying, Dancing in the Golden Sun is far and away the best level in Alkaline in my opinion, its almost perfect, it has an absolutely wonderful sense of mobility and openness that perfectly complements its tough encounters and well done secrets. Its a lot smaller than the previous entry in terms of enemy count but the map is almost perfect in its tightness, the jump pads and jump boots combine to let you go essentially anywhere you want over the whole map which makes it really unique in the freedom it gives you. The station is well designed in having all of these big open outdoor areas you can jump around in to your hearts content while also having these tight ventilation tubes and corridors you find most of the secrets in, including one of the best secrets I've ever seen that transports you to an entirely new, massive arena with a huge combat challenge and even more to find. To top it all off, you have one of the best, and most hectic, final encounters in Quake, and the level ends with you rocketing away from the entire installation as it fades away beneath you, really nothing else to say, just one of the best Quake maps ever made.

And to round things out, unfortunately, I'll mention the worst map in the pack:

Pipework Powered Pillars: This was a surprisingly difficult choice, it was a toss up between this and Slipgate Sickness. They're bad in different ways, Sickness is just unbelievably boring, way too pedestrian and uninteresting in contrast to every other map and the effort put into them, its memorable in being unmemorable if that makes sense, but in 1.2 they moved it to a secret level so I think that implies some awareness its not a standout, I'll give it a pass. Pipework Powered Pillars is worse in the sense that it feels like it had tons of great elements squandered with some unbelievably obnoxious design decisions, if it was retooled I could see this being one of the my favourite maps in the whole thing, but as it is its like pulling teeth, wasted potential is the worst thing to see. The idea is intriguing, you have a level built around moving platforms where the player has to do a lot of platforming and light puzzles to move forward, you don't see this much in Quake, and its very pretty to boot. The issue is that its just filled with some of the worst encounters I've ever had to deal with, and its not just because of the moving platforms, this map has hands down the worst use of Vores I have ever seen in a Quake map. There's way too many situations where the player has to deal with multiple Vores with essentially no cover to use while being fired on by multiple enemies and having to be mindful of the platforming the map is asking you to do as well. There's a nightmarish section where you have to run over like 9 rapidly descending platforms, all filled with grunts, while a vore has free reign to fire at you with impunity and at this point you don't have a weapon that can properly deal with it from a distance or time to stop and concentrate fire, just awful. The worst part though is the end, there's this massive fight with tons of enemies with platforms constantly lowering into extremely damaging sewage, one of the most difficult fights I've ever had to deal with and not in a good way, any slip up in your footing and you are going to take massive amounts of damage and then just die from the endless cavalcade of enemies and grenades swarming in to murder you, even a quad damage can't really help that much. Just one of the most obnoxious experiences I've ever had playing Quake.

So that's it from me regarding Alkaline, as I said, despite some misgivings, this pack has really grown on me with 1.2 and its one of the most ornate and well designed mods I've ever played. Just need to find more Quake stuff of similar quality now!

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 24, 2024

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Enjoyed reading that!

If you didn't see, there's a recent standalone Alkaline-based release called Undiscovered Technology of the Pharaohs. I'm only partway into it but it's a real confident production so far (just the initial start-map secret to unlock Nightmare mode is kind of a trip in itself, worth figuring out even if you don't play Nightmare). And the author has a good track record on big adventure-y maps with a strong sense of place.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
When playing Quake for the first time is it normal to feel intense hatred towards ogres. Thinking this might be one of the most annoying loving enemies I've come across recently? Though to be fair I'm not really feeling the bestiary here at all, everything feels way way too tanky (and I'm only playing on Normal difficulty). It's fun enough but I don't think I'll be doing much more than just the base campaign if this is the typical Quake experience.

At least I now know the inspiration for that same enemy in HROT but I feel like there were fewer of them in that game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh what Ogres are classics, they fight completely fair and are a legitimate threat usually instead of being fodder. I think the raised hp is more noticeable since they don't flinch as much as doom enemies do, so you actually have to move your butt to avoid things.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JLaw posted:

Enjoyed reading that!

If you didn't see, there's a recent standalone Alkaline-based release called Undiscovered Technology of the Pharaohs. I'm only partway into it but it's a real confident production so far (just the initial start-map secret to unlock Nightmare mode is kind of a trip in itself, worth figuring out even if you don't play Nightmare). And the author has a good track record on big adventure-y maps with a strong sense of place.

that looks sick

koren
Sep 7, 2003

khwarezm posted:

Alkaline Stuff
Interesting thoughts, thanks for writing them up. It's great to see more people enjoying Alkaline. It's such a polished mod now with its own strong identity and aesthetic. While it's a small element, but my favourite addition in the whole thing is the damage skins. It's really satisfying to see a group of fiends getting visibly shredded by a couple of grenades. Your list of favourite maps is pretty radically different to mine and it goes to show just how diverse the bundled maps are in terms of scope and gameplay focus, which is great.

I was surprised to see your strongly reaction to Pipework Powered Pillars as it's easily my favourite map in the set. Most of the negatives you've listed are reasons why I really like it: The enemy placement like that specific vore forces aggressive pushes forward and being decisive. Space is also at a big premium due to the platforming and general cramped layouts with no easy escape routes so target prioritisation, spatial awareness and knowing when to make a move are all very important. The two arena fights both unfold at a slightly higher tempo than the player is comfortable with - every time you start to get things under control things suddenly take a turn for the worse. It's very much the sort of thing you get in a well designed doom level. I love it.

That said, it's difficult balancing a map like that for multiple skill levels when a lot of the challenging comes from the mechanical execution heavy elements like platforming. That final fight hinges almost entirely on timing the platforms very carefully and it can go just as badly wrong if you're in the wrong spot when there's a single ogre active vs when there's three.

I also really enjoyed how stuffed with secrets Overengineering Mania is and how almost everything you can see can and will be reached at some point. That said, I will concede that Juzley's Early Bird does a very similar thing in a much more elegant way. This was a later addition to Alkaline and quite rightly belongs on any top five list. Mazu's Toxicity Point from January Jump Jam 2 (also alkaline based and the source of Early Bird) is a much stronger effort from him, leaning into platforming and jumping puzzle mastery in a way I dig.

If you're hankering for more Alkaline based maps, I'd echo the recommendation for as Undiscovered Technology of the Pharaohs, which has a really fun and chaotic boss arena battle. I'd also strongly recommend Outpost Auriga IV and Last Voyage of the Aqualus, both which came out last month. Both are very different experiences: Outpost Auriga IV is a linear techbase level filled with nasty traps and some engaging fights throughout with a rubicon flavour. Last Voyage of the Aqualus is an absolutely gigantic adventure map which is very much not a techbase. Instead you fight your way off a galleon on to the shores of an island with a sea fortress with a volcano before journeying deep into a vast mine structure. The sci-fi elements very much in the vein of Jules Verne. There's environmental storytelling through datapads left lying around and little forward bases of far more advanced technology to string you along. There's also a hot air balloon ride to look forward to. You get to ride in the balloon - I cannot stress this enough!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any way to play these Quake mods/maps with the new Unity port? Just thinking of running them on my Steam Deck.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sway Grunt posted:

When playing Quake for the first time is it normal to feel intense hatred towards ogres. Thinking this might be one of the most annoying loving enemies I've come across recently? Though to be fair I'm not really feeling the bestiary here at all, everything feels way way too tanky (and I'm only playing on Normal difficulty). It's fun enough but I don't think I'll be doing much more than just the base campaign if this is the typical Quake experience.

At least I now know the inspiration for that same enemy in HROT but I feel like there were fewer of them in that game.

The game succeeds because it moves and shoots great and has a cool aesthetic and had incredible DM.... but I wasn't really feeling the roster either. That said I'd save my ire for something more substantial than ogres because wow you're gonna hate some of the enemies you'll come across soon

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there any way to play these Quake mods/maps with the new Unity port? Just thinking of running them on my Steam Deck.

Isn't the Quake remaster on Kex?

Yeah, so long as the mod / map doesn't require something specific to Darkplaces, for example, just add the maps / mods as you normally would.

If you need a specific sourceport for what you're trying to play, that's also very doable. I've been running Qspasm Spiked on my deck for a while now.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

On Windows, the Unity remaster checks for mods in either the "remaster" subdirectory of the install folder or %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Nightdive Studios\Quake\. You may need to dip into the console and type "game <modname>" to switch to it.

Some mods, like Arcane Dimensions, may not work properly on the remaster. The remaster also includes the original unmodified game, so source ports like Ironwail may or may not take you the rest of the way.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The ogres are definitely a pain before you get better weapons. At which point they're more of an ammo resource.

Also I think in Quake you have to get used to frequently losing a lot of health and then gaining it back through powerups & armor, it feels like a little more of a rollercoaster than Doom in that sense.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Sway Grunt posted:

There's a certain kind of zen you get to when strafing through their grenades. Once you reach this state you will be truly enlightened.

Also: they always drop 2 grenades/rockets, so they're very useful to 'trade' nails or shotgun shells for more valuable ammunition

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I guess if I try to boil down what it is about the ogres that annoys me it's how they can reliably push you back with grenades. Which in itself is a combination of accuracy, range, the multiple bounces, how long it takes for a grenade to explode and how they're tanky enough that you can't preempt them effectively even with a missile to the face (though maybe my aim is poo poo). I feel like if any/some of these factors were adjusted down a bit they'd be a lot more tolerable. Alternatively, make it so the grenades don't immediately explode on hit, that would work too.

Maybe episode 2 is particularly ogre-rich though, I mean there is a level called The Ogre Citadel. I've finished the episode now so I'll see what 3 and 4 hold next.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sway Grunt posted:

and how they're tanky enough that you can't preempt them effectively even with a missile to the face (though maybe my aim is poo poo).
Ogres die in two direct rocket/grenade hits, and drop two rockets upon death. They're ammo-neutral!

One useful trick for the Ogre and certain other, much larger and toothier monsters, is the Shambler Dance. Run right up in their face if you can, let them start their melee animation, then quickly back away, pumping them with lead while they flail at thin air. Then charge back into their face so they try to melee you again! Once you get the pattern down, you can do it pretty consistently and it defangs some pretty tricky fights.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

The Kins posted:

Ogres die in two direct rocket/grenade hits, and drop two rockets upon death. They're ammo-neutral!

One useful trick for the Ogre and certain other, much larger and toothier monsters, is the Shambler Dance. Run right up in their face if you can, let them start their melee animation, then quickly back away, pumping them with lead while they flail at thin air. Then charge back into their face so they try to melee you again! Once you get the pattern down, you can do it pretty consistently and it defangs some pretty tricky fights.

This is true, but much more dangerous on Nightmare when their idle time between attacks is a fraction of the usual. I still remember a co-op run with friends when I managed not to die on Nightmare while fighting a shambler on stairs with a double-barrel that made me feel really vindicated, just before I ate poo poo in the next room. Quake is like nothing else.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hasturtium posted:

This is true, but much more dangerous on Nightmare when their idle time between attacks is a fraction of the usual. I still remember a co-op run with friends when I managed not to die on Nightmare while fighting a shambler on stairs with a double-barrel that made me feel really vindicated, just before I ate poo poo in the next room. Quake is like nothing else.

You can cheese them easily though, since they don't move once they get a lock on you, you can find spots to stand where they just keep launching grenades that miss you.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hasturtium posted:

This is true, but much more dangerous on Nightmare when their idle time between attacks is a fraction of the usual
Oh, Nightmare's basically a meme. :v: Monsters just become turrets that fire non-stop if they can see you. It's very silly.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Kins posted:

Oh, Nightmare's basically a meme. :v: Monsters just become turrets that fire non-stop if they can see you. It's very silly.

It's a better than Doom where it becomes (deliberately) unfair, with respawning and all that. Nightmare on Quake is manageable, in some ways it's actually easier since monster behavior ends up being more predictable.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Sway Grunt posted:

I guess if I try to boil down what it is about the ogres that annoys me it's how they can reliably push you back with grenades. Which in itself is a combination of accuracy, range, the multiple bounces, how long it takes for a grenade to explode and how they're tanky enough that you can't preempt them effectively even with a missile to the face (though maybe my aim is poo poo). I feel like if any/some of these factors were adjusted down a bit they'd be a lot more tolerable. Alternatively, make it so the grenades don't immediately explode on hit, that would work too.

Maybe episode 2 is particularly ogre-rich though, I mean there is a level called The Ogre Citadel. I've finished the episode now so I'll see what 3 and 4 hold next.
It's often far better to push forward into an ogre than to back off or try attacking from range. The grenade firing animation has a pretty clear tell and that gives enough time to sidestep the grenade. If you're not up against a wall, the grenade should bounce off safely quite far away from you. They also lack any kind of z-axis awareness (in vanilla) and this is expoitable. If you find yourself on lower ground, stand directly below them and they'll shoot over your head.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I beat Quake 1 on Nightmare when the modern port came out which is something I've never even come close to doing (or really trying to do) in Doom. I don't think it's really a meme, as much as the game isn't specifically balanced for it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Volte posted:

I beat Quake 1 on Nightmare when the modern port came out which is something I've never even come close to doing (or really trying to do) in Doom. I don't think it's really a meme, as much as the game isn't specifically balanced for it.
The remaster completely changed how Nightmare works, IIRC. It's basically hard mode with a 50% health cap.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Kins posted:

The remaster completely changed how Nightmare works, IIRC. It's basically hard mode with a 50% health cap.
Ah, you're right. Did they change anything other than just making enemies not stunlock themselves with their own attack patterns?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

koren posted:

It's often far better to push forward into an ogre than to back off or try attacking from range. The grenade firing animation has a pretty clear tell and that gives enough time to sidestep the grenade. If you're not up against a wall, the grenade should bounce off safely quite far away from you. They also lack any kind of z-axis awareness (in vanilla) and this is expoitable. If you find yourself on lower ground, stand directly below them and they'll shoot over your head.

Ogres are pretty great! Such a distinct attack mode compared to the rest of the bestiary (and most other FPS monsters), which changes the way you defend and attack. Not to mention the infighting potential. Usually pretty harmless alone, but they really spice up any group fights and sometimes appear in challenging positions or in ambush. I can't remember how I first felt about them but they are a favorite now.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

The ogre is really the best enemy in the quake bestiary (besides spawns obviously). I love the Fiend / Ogre / Shambler power combo.

Volte posted:

Ah, you're right. Did they change anything other than just making enemies not stunlock themselves with their own attack patterns?
On vanilla nightmare, shambler lightning attacks last a little bit longer and vore projectile speed goes from 250 ups to 350 (player moves at 320 in a straight line). I think that remastered nightmare is identical to hard except the 50hp cap.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I don't like what the remaster did to Nightmare. It just made it into harder hard, whereas Nightmare in the original Quake felt like a remix, it forced you to approach encounters differently.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

I agree that it was a bizarre and vaguely disrespectful alteration to a classic. Add in your remixed copper-lite nightmare difficulty in by all means but at least preserve the original game modes. Children playing on a nintendo switch should not be exempt from the fear of desperately trying to outrun the nightmare vore pod.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

SCheeseman posted:

You can cheese them easily though, since they don't move once they get a lock on you, you can find spots to stand where they just keep launching grenades that miss you.

Oh, no doubt. I got locked into thinking about shamblers, but it’s possible to trick ogres into pissing every other monster in a room off with tremendous speed if you play your cards right.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

You can install Ironwail on a Deck via Luxtorpeda. That's probably the most straightforward option.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You can install Ironwail on a Deck via Luxtorpeda. That's probably the most straightforward option.

ty

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

koren posted:

The ogre is really the best enemy in the quake bestiary (besides spawns obviously). I love the Fiend / Ogre / Shambler power combo.

This is sickness. You are sick.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

koren posted:

I was surprised to see your strongly reaction to Pipework Powered Pillars as it's easily my favourite map in the set. Most of the negatives you've listed are reasons why I really like it: The enemy placement like that specific vore forces aggressive pushes forward and being decisive. Space is also at a big premium due to the platforming and general cramped layouts with no easy escape routes so target prioritisation, spatial awareness and knowing when to make a move are all very important. The two arena fights both unfold at a slightly higher tempo than the player is comfortable with - every time you start to get things under control things suddenly take a turn for the worse. It's very much the sort of thing you get in a well designed doom level. I love it.

That said, it's difficult balancing a map like that for multiple skill levels when a lot of the challenging comes from the mechanical execution heavy elements like platforming. That final fight hinges almost entirely on timing the platforms very carefully and it can go just as badly wrong if you're in the wrong spot when there's a single ogre active vs when there's three.

Thanks for the map recommendations, I suppose related to the ongoing discussion about Nightmare mode, PPP could have been really come across as a lot worse than it would otherwise when for every other map I found it fine. The Vores are just so much worse than anything I've dealt with and I think it was probably because their spores are much faster and much better at tracking the player than they are otherwise in Nightmare, its a big issue I have with the enemy in that they have a similar attack as Doom's Revenants but are immeasurably worse to deal with when you can't really duke the homing spores if you can't break their line of sight.

Funnily enough, that prompted me to play less aggressively in some of the map, notably a big mid level arena fight where two Vores appear alongside tons of mutants, ogres, robots, grunts and a Shambler. It was a pretty BS fight altogether, particularly because of the Vores, and I got through it when I realized there was a corner you could hide in where Vores didn't have good Line of Sight on you so you could just Super Nailgun or Lightning gun all of the enemies as they try to pile into your little hidey-hole.

The last fight admittedly didn't have any Vores but gently caress me it was just so brutal with the massive amounts of enemies combined with the tight area and constant platforming you have to do to avoid damage. I just didn't find it fun. As I said, I actually found the overall gimmick of the map potentially interesting and liked the visuals, if it was less relentless and excruciating I could see myself liking it a lot more if they were better able to marry the idea of platforming over unstable terrain with fair combat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

There's a lot of bullshit fights in quake and most of them come down to a handful of monsters that completely suck and Vores might be the worst. There's a lot of "arena with no pillars that you've got to duke it out with them" and it's tedious. I'd rather deal with doom's nightmare bullshit tbh.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's a lot of bullshit fights in quake and most of them come down to a handful of monsters that completely suck and Vores might be the worst. There's a lot of "arena with no pillars that you've got to duke it out with them" and it's tedious. I'd rather deal with doom's nightmare bullshit tbh.

If you don't like Vores and Slimes you don't truly understand this fps genre and are lame

Yes hentai is art

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Vores are OK if they're used to complement the map design

Spawns are indefensible

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Spawns are great if you have a room with enough monsters to cause in-fighting against their flying-polyp-or-shoggoth-with-the-serial-numbers-filed-off asses hurtling around. They are also swell in an ambush capacity if you have the weapons to take them down quickly. Beyond that, they’re at least as big a panic button priority enemy as pain elementals ever were, and much less charming.

I dig the idea of vores more than the reality of them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Spawns are either too fast or too healthy, not sure which would be better fix. Especially in the base game’s relatively cramped levels, by the time a spawn has jumped at you it is already too late to avoid serious damage.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Sway Grunt posted:

Yeah the enemies are weapon sponges. And it doesn't help that the lower tier enemies, like grunts, only appear in tech levels. This makes your rocket launcher your workhorse weapon.

Definitely play the new episode Dimension of the Machine, though. Fun encounters and the levels don't restrict enemies to level type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

skasion posted:

Spawns are either too fast or too healthy, not sure which would be better fix. Especially in the base game’s relatively cramped levels, by the time a spawn has jumped at you it is already too late to avoid serious damage.

I would say less health. Then when you get jumped you can panick gun them down and they work as a hideous thing you want to deal with carefully. If they were slower they just wouldnt be much of a threat and kind of boring.