Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I think that legend star-crossed is not only fun but also good and even maybe cool.

I think the first bit is pretty chill if you stay together and don't get picked by a cyclops. Xeno fucks them up and there's a lot of cover and angles. Most of my early deaths were bad position and taking fire from places I didn't need to.

The hydras in their rooms feel sligtly overtuned from a health perspective but i only ever play in a fireteam and tractor or a void hunter is coming so meh dump rockets.

the boss just requires you to like use some cover and stay on top of adds. The first legend clear I was kinda like what the gently caress but you just use the little cubby and rotate to the back of the room when he moves. A blinding gl buys some time if you can't loop the spawns and your abilities together to have 1 of your fireteams 3 grenades available to murk the pack that spawns left of the cubby. It's cubby, left spawns, air spawns order. Than you deal with the stuff pushing across the room.

I've only run it 4x total, one normal and 3x lgend so maybe it's still new to me but the combat feels good. I think it punishes positioning and solo play tho.

I miss something properly epic like pre-patch Avalon though. Cleared that in a duo and a trio and I think that was the peak of destiny PvE for me apart from contest.

Also are there no rally flags in star-crossed? I thought there was but last run I dumped my heavy and never got a flag to hit later
:page3: skill issues :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

Are all the seasonal challenges live yet? Or are there still more weeks of challenges to come out? I’ve been waiting to start playing until they’re all out

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

HelloNewman posted:

Are all the seasonal challenges live yet? Or are there still more weeks of challenges to come out? I’ve been waiting to start playing until they’re all out

There should be one more week, there's going to be 66 total, and only 60 are currently available.

Legend starcrossed is not fun because the health pools are way too inflated on the centurion and the wyverns kill way too fast.

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

There should be one more week, there's going to be 66 total, and only 60 are currently available.

Legend starcrossed is not fun because the health pools are way too inflated on the centurion and the wyverns kill way too fast.

Thanks! One more week of avoiding destiny it is then

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Waroduce posted:

I've only run it 4x total, one normal and 3x lgend so maybe it's still new to me but the combat feels good. I think it punishes positioning and solo play tho.

The splash damage in the final room is pretty nasty if you're playing solo, but if you stay to the pillar on the right as you enter then you'll never die, it blocks the boss and the little drones that detain you, and none of the enemies will follow you in there. But that means you spend the encounter hiding there and dipping out to refresh the buff, and it really slows down damage on the boss because if you poke out too much it's easy to get instagibbed.

Waroduce posted:

Also are there no rally flags in star-crossed? I thought there was but last run I dumped my heavy and never got a flag to hit later
:page3: skill issues :synpa:

There is only 1, right before the final boss room. Sucks if you wipe on the 3rd lock and you're out of heavy and have to start it all over again.

Hackan Slash posted:

The wyverns are beefy but you can fight them all from cover. You can use Le Monarque for the extra poison so they're still taking damage when you have to duck behind cover.

From the buff in the middle room, go straight ahead and the wyvern that's up on the ledge will in the large room will stay there; you can plink it from the front of the room and the only things that come to you there are the goblins and the minotaurs. Wreck them, then plink the wyvern from behind the Vex ruin thingie. I'll also dump a super on this guy if I have it.

From middle room, the wyvern to the left can be fired on from the middle room itself; you don't need to get the buff and go in. Minotaurs occasionally follow you out, but burn them again and just go back to plinking the wyvern. This ends up being slow because there's plants in the sightline so it's hard to see. I've also used witherhoard and burned the wyvern very easily from a sneaky little window along that wall that looks down on the room where the interactable vex device is. the Wyvern will move just below the window, and if you can't quite hit it, firing a regular gun into the room will cause it to move just inside where you can drop a witherhoard pool on it. Just have to be careful that you don't let it hit you directly- have to resist being greedy and staying in the window too long.

The wyvern in the room to the right is the only one that you need to dip in and out with to keep your buff up, but you can also use a super on it and speed that fight up. Still, you can plink from near the entrance and run back out to refresh the buff.

It's boring but doable solo and you shouldn't die if you take it slow. The only part that really makes me salty is the 3 lock right before the boss room- if you have a bad sequence, it means having to cross back and forth through pools of enemies to refresh the buff, and those goddamn taken phalanx shield boops are just dirty pool when you're trying to take the outside lock. I finally just said the hell with it and used supers on all 3 phalanxes, which meant literally sitting and letting my super meter refill for one of the locks.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 24, 2024

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Listerine posted:

It's boring but doable solo and you shouldn't die if you take it slow. The only part that really makes me salty is the 3 lock right before the boss room- if you have a bad sequence, it means having to cross back and forth through pools of enemies to refresh the buff, and those goddamn taken phalanx shield boops are just dirty pool when you're trying to take the outside lock. I finally just said the hell with it and used supers on all 3 phalanxes, which meant literally sitting and letting my super meter refill for one of the locks.
The order scrambles again each time you die, so I just jumped off the cliff there until I got the middle area as the first in the sequence, and then it's much easier to do the other two.

The main problem I had was that the darkness zone for the second set of locks includes the wyvern+miniboss fight at the end, and twice I got all the way up to there only to die to an unlucky long-range combo from them, and then you have to redo all three wyvern rooms. :mad:

I managed to get one last solo Legend run in over the weekend to pick up the catalysts before the boss cheese nerf today, at least. I'm sure I could do the boss legit solo -- on normal, it didn't really feel difficult, just long -- but after two hours of getting to that point, sometimes I just want to plink plink plink to destress. (And it was a solo run because I still needed to pick up some secrets and quest steps along the way without getting pulled forward by rushing teammates.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Btw when Bungie said they patched the radio stuff this season they didn't lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The totems were definitely better, at least. Or, well, back to their previous form of not working properly. :v:

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

haveblue posted:

Tribute wasn’t buggy, just hardly anyone knew or cared how to play it so there were a lot of lopsided matches and nobody was having any fun. It got changed to Eruption after a day or two
And this week they've already changed Tribute to Fortress. They have yet to leave Tribute active long enough for me to try it even once, lol.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh. I was called here by humans who wish me to play Tribute.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

if what you dropped on death were motes in Tribute, they might sucker some Gambit players to dabble in.

Crests suck

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Anyone give the Deathbringer a whirl this season? I just remembered it exists and with the seasonal mods it might be kind of damage monster.

Yuppie Scum
Nov 28, 2003

Fortune and glory, kids. Fortune and glory.
I didn't find an answer on Google, but last night was about to beat Spire final boss as a Hunter with an LFG team when my PS5 power goes out. Like, literally when he was on last sliver of health. Rebooted, did it all over again with new group, exact same thing happens. And I've beaten Spire before, just not with a Hunter. Some posts talk about possibly a sound issue, but it hasn't happened on my Warlock or Titan completions...Anyone had this happen?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Why hasn't Bungie done a Destiny-con or whatever after all these years

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

They wouldn't even have to travel for it, it's nerd convention central up here in Seattle.

edit: I'm thinking about this even more and like, why would they bother selling all these jackets and poo poo if they aren't going to have an event where everyone comes wearing their nerd jackets?

Roctavian fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 24, 2024

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RBX posted:

Same reason you're not supposed to climb into the enclosures in Jurassic Park

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Gaming Community Expo in Florida used to be Guardiancon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Roctavian posted:

They wouldn't even have to travel for it, it's nerd convention central up here in Seattle.

edit: I'm thinking about this even more and like, why would they bother selling all these jackets and poo poo if they aren't going to have an event where everyone comes wearing their nerd jackets?

The purpose of the jackets is to wear them around until someone recognizes it and then you flip a coin to see if you share a knowing wink or feel like a tremendous dork

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My DSC parka is really comfortable except for the pockets, which aren't lined with anything, so the whole thing is actually loving useless. :lol:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

The purpose of the jackets is to wear them around until someone recognizes it and then you flip a coin to see if you share a knowing wink or feel like a tremendous dork
I was wearing my destiny t-shirt in a petrol station just before covid and the guy working behind the counter said 'loving hell, is that still going?'

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MJeff posted:

My DSC parka is really comfortable except for the pockets, which aren't lined with anything, so the whole thing is actually loving useless. :lol:

Yeah, it's actually a really good winter jacket. I was wearing it around in ~20 degree weather last week and didn't even mind the pockets (with gloves)

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I've had a shocking number of people in person recognize my Gambit hoodie and strike up a conversation about it. And surprisingly, only one of them was a Gambit hater! :v:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I unironically wear my VoW and RoN jacket as fashion items when I travel or go out respectivly. My VoG jacket is my go to for rain. I wear em to Pax and other comic/game conventions as well and I always feel like the coolest nerd there.

I also have a shirt with the wipe skull that says Darkness Consumes You which I really like and I've worn to MMA. Got some compliments and i was like lol.

One time, it was cold and I even had a girl!1!11 wear my VoW jacket, gamertag included

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Why does this game take over a minute to load on series X and PC?

It can’t be client side, are they using quantum algorithms to validate users? It’s the longest loading game I play by far.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 25, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

RBX posted:

because they learned the right lessons from blizzcon

haveblue posted:

someone asked what band my splicer hoodie was about and it gave me a chuckle

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I just had the sickest loving coil group, oh my god so many chests.

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

It can’t be client side, are they using quantum algorithms to validate users? It’s the longest loading game I play by far.

Is this just on your initial boot to the game? If so, try disabling some of the add-ons (like pre order bonuses) when you go to manage the game. For some reason that helps.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

HelloNewman posted:

Is this just on your initial boot to the game? If so, try disabling some of the add-ons (like pre order bonuses) when you go to manage the game. For some reason that helps.

Wait so how does this work exactly? You just disable the DLC in steam or? Is there a list of safe DLC to disable?

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I went back to Neomuna to do some space jobs to tick off things on my list of space jobs and man I really do hope Nimbus dies on his way back to his home planet at the start of TFS

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Wait so how does this work exactly? You just disable the DLC in steam or? Is there a list of safe DLC to disable?

Looks like you can disable all of it, but it messes with game sharing if you are doing game sharing. I disabled everything and the game still works fine and I have access to everything, but I had an annoying marker on all the planets telling me to buy the expansions. I ended up turning the DLCs back on just to avoid that notice. It seems others don’t report that problem though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

The same reason Win7 used to take ages to load, it is at its core a ten year old game that's been hacked and finagled into doing things moden codebases can achieve in seconds.

Imagine your leg keeps getting injured and you inexplicably manage to build an entire prosthetic leg out of sticking plasters you put on top of the wound, and you have Destiny's code base.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 25, 2024

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The same reason Win7 used to take ages to load, it is at its core a ten year old game that's been hacked and finagled into doing things moden codebases can achieve in seconds.

Imagine your leg keeps getting injured and you inexplicably manage to build an entire prosthetic leg out of sticking plasters you put on top of the wound, and you have Destiny's code base.

It doesn't take nearly that long to load for me. It takes seconds, honestly. On PC, I should mention.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
loading is quite swift on PS5 for me, as well.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yes because you both have SSDs.

I upgraded from PS4 and a normal HDD last year, and it takes loving ages to load.

E: Ehh, i don't really know what I'm talking about. Half remembering articles about tech debt and having dabbled in modding many, many years ago and seen how many weird artefacts of older systems end up causing bizarre poo poo that doesn't need to be there.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 25, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The Series X has an SSD as well. Also it loads pretty quickly for me on the X so Idunno.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

HelloNewman posted:

I didn’t know that was an option! I will try that. FWIW yeah series X is ssd and my pc is the fastest m.2 storage, but the initial login takes a minute of loading. Really puts a damper on playing when I’m used to quick resume :reject:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A large chunk of the load times seem to be represented by network operations. I'm pretty sure that on launch it spends that minute downloading various config files and logging into various services

Also unlike most games Destiny doesn't use monolithic asset files and instead loads a vast number of tiny files for any given scene. Which is why it took literally 30 seconds to load the menu on optical drives and SSDs are such a drastic improvement

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/this-week-in-destiny-01-25-24

The weekly rewards for Riven's Wishes are one of:
  • A red border Last Wish weapon
  • A Y6 exotic armor
  • A rare resource (ascendant shard or alloy, lost or dawning memento, exotic cipher)
Hit a total community sword kills goal for an emblem, because witcher

Turns out the wizard armor vote was actually 3 separate class votes, so hunters and warlocks get evil wizard and titans get good wizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh poo poo, the lost memento would be great, I didn't even realise there was an all-black shader unlockable from it until the event was over.

Quite fancy unlocking a Nation of Beasts as well, hopefully the requirements aren't 2hardcore4casuals.