Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Those books are written far worse than anything Alan Wake ever produced. I cannot believe a grown man wrote that poo poo.

God, thank you. I mentioned to a friend that I wouldn't be watching Reacher season 2 as I didn't enjoy season 1 all that much and he asked why not. I told him that Reacher was, maybe literally, the biggest Gary Stu I'd seen in a while and it just wasn't super fun to watch. He couldn't believe what I was saying. I can't imagine reading 28 novels of that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I haven't watched the show but isn't it just an excuse to watch the largest man alive punch goons until they cry

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

First season is really fun, but it sounds like the new one is just everything people always assumed Reacher was.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Those books are written far worse than anything Alan Wake ever produced. I cannot believe a grown man wrote that poo poo.

honestly dont get reacher fandom. is everyone in on the joke???

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the tom cruise reacher film is one of the funniest movies of all time. tim heidecker made a parody of it thats funny, but significantly less funny than the actual movie

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I've been switching between Saga and Alan every time I clear a chapter, and man, I was not expecting to get to We Sing so soon.

Also, I saw the VGA performance, I thought I knew what I was in for. I was wrong.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Warriorrrr of liiiight

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CapnAndy posted:

I've been switching between Saga and Alan every time I clear a chapter, and man, I was not expecting to get to We Sing so soon.

Also, I saw the VGA performance, I thought I knew what I was in for. I was wrong.

Yeah I thought after Children of the Elder God and the Ashtray Maze, I was ready for Alan Wake 2's obligatory musical section.

I was also wrong.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So I guess there’s a memory leak they’ve just… never patched? I guess maps loading in and then blurring themselves into unreadability before my eyes is one way to tell me I’ve played enough for the night.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

CapnAndy posted:

So I guess there’s a memory leak they’ve just… never patched? I guess maps loading in and then blurring themselves into unreadability before my eyes is one way to tell me I’ve played enough for the night.

Stop snorting melatonin before playing. I've made the same mistake before

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

CapnAndy posted:

I'm sure there's some weird issue like that affecting some people. I usually had to quit and reopen the game after a few hours since things start to noticeably run worse.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

MagusDraco posted:

I'm sure there's some weird issue like that affecting some people. I usually had to quit and reopen the game after a few hours since things start to noticeably run worse.
I mean, I wasn't guessing, I closed the game and googled why it had suddenly decided to use ultra-low res textures and the answer was "memory leak that's been known for months and never been patched out". Especially because it would load in the maps in proper resolution, I had about half a second to get useful information before it decided to actively degrade everything.

In in-game news, poor Cynthia, of all the people to get Taken. She just never caught a break her entire life, huh? What a tragedy. It's nice that Barry got Rose a job to set her up, and lol at her Alan Wake shrine too. AND THE STANDEE LIVES

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CapnAndy posted:

In in-game news, poor Cynthia, of all the people to get Taken. She just never caught a break her entire life, huh? What a tragedy. It's nice that Barry got Rose a job to set her up, and lol at her Alan Wake shrine too. AND THE STANDEE LIVES
Yes and that first thing is also Alan’s fault

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 27, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would ask why you said that, but I assume I'll find out later.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes if you haven’t played that part of the game, just wait

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

FlamingLiberal posted:

hot dropping spoilers on a person clearly playing through for the first time is kinda rude for this type of game.

Although I'll admit if you hadn't picked up that Alan has written some hosed up poo poo to try and keep the story going in the horror genre...

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Evil Kit posted:

hot dropping spoilers on a person clearly playing through for the first time is kinda rude for this type of game.

Although I'll admit if you hadn't picked up that Alan has written some hosed up poo poo to try and keep the story going in the horror genre...

Alan ruining people's lives is not a spoiler past return 1 lmao

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Alan ruining people's lives is not a spoiler past return 1 lmao

When someone mentions that something unfortunate has happened to a character, declaring Alan is to blame is absolutely a spoiler.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Alright I will fix it, I figured the fact that the thing I was replying to was spoiler tagged was enough

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I got to the part that revealed why, at least. To be fair to Alan, Cynthia getting Taken wasn't a forseeable consequence of nabbing the light -- he just knew that he needed it. But still, poor Cynthia. I also completely outthought myself on that boss fight. The level had started introducing "turning the lights on and off changes the environment" mechanics from Alan's sections and it took place in a basement that was fine until the lights went out and then it was re-flooded, and we were surrounded by flickering lights, so I thought okay, gotta kite her attacks to the lights, which will re-ignite them, and when the basement is all lit up again she'll be vulnerable. Turns out lol, no, just shoot her in the head a few times.

Also, completely unassailable 100% sincere theory: Alan has no actual powers whatsoever, just deep-seated issues with women. That's why every time he meets a woman in a position of power, he has to start babbling about how actually he created her and all her circumstances and her abilities, so she needs to do whatever he says. (Seriously though, he nearly word-for-words the lines he gave to Jesse again to Saga, it's a bit strange.)

Actual speculation: Not sure what to make of the ongoing Tom Zane weirdness. He's mostly been retconned as a filmmaker, except some people still remember him as a poet, and he keeps getting confused or outright conflated with Alan, and don't think I've forgotten that cutscene in AWE where an Alan claiming to be Zane talks to Alan. Are they the same dude just time-displaced, is Zane losing his sense of self because Alan dominates the Dark Place so much, what's going on here?

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 28, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I got to the part that revealed why, at least. To be fair to Alan, Cynthia getting Taken wasn't a forseeable consequence of nabbing the light -- he just knew that he needed it. But still, poor Cynthia. I also completely outthought myself on that boss fight. The level had started introducing "turning the lights on and off changes the environment" mechanics from Alan's sections and it took place in a basement that was fine until the lights went out and then it was re-flooded, and we were surrounded by flickering lights, so I thought okay, gotta kite her attacks to the lights, which will re-ignite them, and when the basement is all lit up again she'll be vulnerable. Turns out lol, no, just shoot her in the head a few times.

Also, completely unassailable 100% sincere theory: Alan has no actual powers whatsoever, just deep-seated issues with women. That's why every time he meets a woman in a position of power, he has to start babbling about how actually he created her and all her circumstances and her abilities, so she needs to do whatever he says. (Seriously though, he nearly word-for-words the lines he gave to Jesse again to Saga, it's a bit strange.)

Actual speculation: Not sure what to make of the ongoing Tom Zane weirdness. He's mostly been retconned as a filmmaker, except some people still remember him as a poet, and he keeps getting confused or outright conflated with Alan, and don't think I've forgotten that cutscene in AWE where an Alan claiming to be Zane talks to Alan. Are they the same dude just time-displaced, is Zane losing his sense of self because Alan dominates the Dark Place so much, what's going on here?

you're at the point of the game where it should be clear that mr scratch is the one responsible for cynthia's situation, not alan. sure, scratch is alan's negative traits personified and exaggerated, but they're basically locked in an editing war between reality-altering manuscripts and scratch's book takes special care to demean and destroy anyone in bright falls who had been particularly helpful to alan in the first game

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

you're at the point of the game where it should be clear that mr scratch is the one responsible for cynthia's situation, not alan. sure, scratch is alan's negative traits personified and exaggerated, but they're basically locked in an editing war between reality-altering manuscripts and scratch's book takes special care to demean and destroy anyone in bright falls who had been particularly helpful to alan in the first game
I'm skipping between Alan and Saga every time I get a chapter break (well, for Saga I take the time out to explore the previously flooded areas first). But I'm not sure that tracks. Alan needed the light and he told Rose to get it for him -- he didn't know it was Cynthia's last line of defense against the darkness that was still stalking her, and I don't see how he could be expected to know, since he was probably assuming she was safe after the end of AW1 (I sure was). So that reads as an Alan action with unintended consequences, not a Scratch one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I'm skipping between Alan and Saga every time I get a chapter break (well, for Saga I take the time out to explore the previously flooded areas first). But I'm not sure that tracks. Alan needed the light and he told Rose to get it for him -- he didn't know it was Cynthia's last line of defense against the darkness that was still stalking her, and I don't see how he could be expected to know, since he was probably assuming she was safe after the end of AW1 (I sure was). So that reads as an Alan action with unintended consequences, not a Scratch one.

the manuscript pages show that alan's been frantically scrawling out and rearranging scratch's manuscript so that events aren't quite as hopeless/disadvantageous. scratch likely wrote a subplot for cynthia summarized as "she rotted in a nursing home and drowned, gently caress you" and alan wrote around it to include the lamp and rose's interference

either way he basically did the entire thing in a fugue state, which makes the morality of his edits even murkier

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm sure sam knows exactly what is going on with zane, but i do kinda like how we don't really have a solid idea what he (the one we encounter) is. the original zane wrote himself out of existence and went into the lake. the dark place is, if door is telling the truth, a mirror into alternate universe. is filmmaker zane an alternate version?. it's fun to speculate

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I am impressed at how well AW2 is two different flavors of horror, it differentiates really well between Saga and Alan. When I'm playing as Saga I'm thinking "Jesus I miss being Alan, at least I'd have control over the environment and I wouldn't be constantly getting jumpscared" and when I'm Alan I'm thinking "oh my God the shadows never shut up and I'm constantly being menaced, at least when I'm Saga I'm not in danger that often and I know when I am".

Also Alan my dude I know the Dark Place has rotted away a good deal of your judgement but holy poo poo, why are you inexplicably convinced you can only get into your apartment by writing murder scenes? And why do you keep going "hmmm a cult performing murderous rituals to summon an evil presence? THIS IS GOOD poo poo I'M GONNA WRITE IT REAL"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I am impressed at how well AW2 is two different flavors of horror, it differentiates really well between Saga and Alan. When I'm playing as Saga I'm thinking "Jesus I miss being Alan, at least I'd have control over the environment and I wouldn't be constantly getting jumpscared" and when I'm Alan I'm thinking "oh my God the shadows never shut up and I'm constantly being menaced, at least when I'm Saga I'm not in danger that often and I know when I am".

Also Alan my dude I know the Dark Place has rotted away a good deal of your judgement but holy poo poo, why are you inexplicably convinced you can only get into your apartment by writing murder scenes? And why do you keep going "hmmm a cult performing murderous rituals to summon an evil presence? THIS IS GOOD poo poo I'M GONNA WRITE IT REAL"

he's working within the confines of the story scratch already wrote. i've been replaying it and just got through the oceanview (not my favorite area, way too cramped) and around that point alan literally says he can't change the story's genre. he's nibbling away at the margins, trying to follow notes he wrote himself and then forgot because every time the dark presence catches him it wipes his memory of what he's done before

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
No disrespect to Alan Wake but if I was trapped in the Dark Place I would simply write outside the confines of the genre, rip to him but I'm built different.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
alan insisting on genre constraints being immutable while reality collapses around him/people are being eaten/he's losing his mind is how you know he's a grade-a hack

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

lines posted:

No disrespect to Alan Wake but if I was trapped in the Dark Place I would simply write outside the confines of the genre, rip to him but I'm built different.

Not my rear end writing a two part episode of the ATeam where they rescue me from the dark place

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 29, 2024

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Not my rear end writing a two part episode of the ATeam where they rescue me from the dark place

This would be an utter failure.
No way Remedy has the budget for the whole A team.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Horizon Burning posted:

alan insisting on genre constraints being immutable while reality collapses around him/people are being eaten/he's losing his mind is how you know he's a grade-a hack

yeah i don't know why anyone is listening to alan about the "rules" of the story and reality altering since he has failed every attempt to leave to leave the dark place for 13 years. he utter lack of ability to conceptualize any sort of story but dark noir/horror is why he immediately hit writer's block after leaving his casey novels behind and his anxiety and feelings of inadequacy over that is why the dark place could alter his works in the first place, while it can't hold tim breaker, alice, or zane 2. all of his lines about what the story needs are bullshit

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Also even if he's right about the rules, you can hear the glint in his eye every time some new gruesome plot element or setting introduces itself to him. This is what he vibes with, he just plain thinks that gruesome murders and cults summoning dark beings are cool.

And, like, to be fair "a theater troupe set up an improvisational interactive play sprawling throughout an entire hotel but hired the Devil to play himself" is in fact a kickass plot, I would read that horror story. But I am not trapped in a nightmare dimension and my writing does not alter reality, that's the difference.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

CapnAndy posted:

But I am not trapped in a nightmare dimension and my writing does not alter reality, that's the difference.

That's what you think

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Alex Casey walked through the blackened remains of the subway car (barbecue pit). The air smelled of burnt flesh (burgers) and echoed with the pain of the innocent people trapped in the cult’s ritual sacrifice (terrible recruitment drive cookout). He felt sick to his stomach. He would never be able to smell pork again without this memory dripping down his spine like blood (ketchup).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

My switching seems to have reached its end; I got through Saga's (extremely badass) return to the lake and have now been forced to play as Alan. And I know some things, now. That was Scratch who came out of the lake the first time. I like how the game nods directly to what I (and, I'll wager, most everybody) was thinking was the other option by having Saga go "oh, I was assuming time was just all hosed up in the Dark Place but guess not" right out loud. And I maintain that "Alan's" voice in the Profilings is noticably much more monotone than anyone else's, that was an intentional clue.

Also it took me a shamefully long time to realize that the nursery rhymes could be solved without having a doll on every single spot. I was picking up the dolls and moving on because I didn't have six yet. Oops. I'll have to do them properly in NG+.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Pounded in the butt by the dark place: an autobiographical short story by chuck tingle.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I'm really loving the Old Gods "greatest hits" album. Angers Remorse and Dark Ocean Summoning are so good

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
https://youtu.be/YO1cVQuv_dI

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
https://x.com/EZShakeNBake/status/1751850479263621568?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Kingdom Hearts is good, everyone who wants to fight me about this please form an orderly queue