Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
I really hope it wasn't PoWs, but either way it seems bad for Russia that planes landing at Belgorod airport can now be interdicted by Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElPedro
Apr 22, 2008
Pravda cites a military source in the Ukrainian military stating it carried S-300 missiles:

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/01/24/7438639/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sadly it could be bad intel of course, or Russia is just lying as usual. Regardless of what's on it, I don't see how they could just fly a military cargo plane near the border and not expect it to be shot at.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yes, landing an aircraft into stupidly chosen locations is something the Russian army has never done, and to safe face on losing materials to sheer stupidity, lying to press is also something never heard off.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Until we get evidence of the pow's i have to wonder; why would russia waste a plane to move prisoners?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Just Another Lurker posted:

Until we get evidence of the pow's i have to wonder; why would russia waste a plane to move prisoners?

They're very stupid

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Ukraine have withdrawn their claim they shot it down - obviously it was uhhhhhh Dutch supersoldiers picking up the corpses of their fallen comrades firing laser eye beams.

Edit: sorry, the Ukrainian PRESS have withdrawn that claim. Which is very different.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Russia using POW's as human shields to protect material transports would be another war crime added to the list.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Russian media published list of UA POWs that allegedly died, but it turns out the list is fake. so...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Russia lied again huh

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ra-78830#33ba78b2

This is a strange flight path, I guess Russian planes don't feel safe to fly over Iraq but do use Saudi and Egyptian air space to fly to Syria.

edit: The timing is a bit off, maybe this is a different plane transponder. This plane was last seen near Syria just seven hours before it crashed at Belgorod. If it was for instance picking up an S-300 battery to be sent back to Russia there is not enough time to load it and then return the same way.
Maybe if it flew back over Turkey but why would it not take this route going to Syria?

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 24, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I can't believe evil NATO genderqueer shock troopers would negotiate to get POWs back home just to callously blow them out of the sky less than a year later.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
"I know; if we start saying that all of our vehicles, aircraft, and ships are full of Ukrainian POWs, then Ukraine will *have* to stop blowing them up!" :hmmyes: --Russia, probably.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hungary supports Swedish NATO membership

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

CeeJee posted:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ra-78830#33ba78b2

This is a strange flight path, I guess Russian planes don't feel safe to fly over Iraq but do use Saudi and Egyptian air space to fly to Syria.

Access to Iraqi airspace was closed to Russian military aircraft in 2023 and has apparently not yet been reopened.

Middle East Monitor posted:

Iraqi airspace had previously been open for Moscow until former Iraqi Prime Minister, Mustafa Al-Kadhimi’s government imposed restrictions on it “under the pretext that [Russian flights] were threatening the US military bases in Iraq and Syria”, the anonymous diplomat said. Its alternative route through Turkiye was restricted when Ankara also closed its airspace to Russian civil and military aviation in April last year, following the launch of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

LordArgh posted:

I wonder at what point Hungary will pick a side. Orban tries to play both

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bratwurst massage posted:

I wonder at what point Hungary will pick a side. Orban tries to play both

When somebody finally kicks his rear end over his backstabbing dealings. Literally or figuratively.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Get the gently caress in already Sweden. We'll deploy surströmming canisters all over the Karelian isthmus and you get to violate Russian airspace with JAS Gripens all you want.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Russian media published list of UA POWs that allegedly died, but it turns out the list is fake. so...

lmao this is some sequential passport numbers rear end poo poo

For the unititiated: https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2018/09/20/skripal-suspects-confirmed-gru-operatives-prior-european-operations-disclosed/

(about halfway down, if this isn't considered to be doxxing of international assassins)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
NCD obtained the flight manifest

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

mobby_6kl posted:

NCD obtained the flight manifest

The one person who wasn't involved was Prig Boss :thunk:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
It seems there are several versions of the list with POWs, so :shrug:

I guess we'll have to wait to learn the truth

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Hot take in inbound:

The death of any Ukrainian in this conflict is Russia's fault regardless of circumstance.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

weg posted:

Hot take in inbound:

The death of any Ukrainian in this conflict is Russia's fault regardless of circumstance.

No you see this is problematic because

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

weg posted:

Hot take in inbound:

But Russia has higher GDP so Ukraine should have just surrendered to avoid a futile fight?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

LordArgh posted:

I just heard that on the radio. :waycool:

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Hungary kept asking for 'negotiations', which basically amounted to them trying to blackmail the Swedes in to retracting comments critical of Orban and Fidesz's backsliding and blatant corruption. It sounded like Hungary was intimating they would cause a fuss before ratifying Sweden's membership, but Sweden told them to gently caress off yesterday. Hungary finally read the room and backed down today. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/24/orban-reaffirms-backing-for-swedish-nato-bid-as-allies-patience-runs-low

I suspect that they will likely acquiesce on the issue of Ukrainian aid (or abandon the current demand of annual reviews i.e. annual opportunities for extortion) before the current efforts to strip Bloaty of his voting rights pick up steam.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

weg posted:

Hot take in inbound:

Um excuse me but have you considered that Ukraine wanted to join the "we hate Russia" club? Therefore all Russian aggression and warmongering is justified.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
gently caress I am owned I forgot about Russia's sensitive feelings.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

"We're just going to fly some planes around, full of missiles. We don't really talk about it, we just kinda wing it around here."

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Loose missiles rolling sound not on pallets, crushing cargo crew as they naturally do.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The POWs were just big sticks of hissing dynamite with smiley faces and Ukrainian jackets stuck on.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

weg posted:

Hot take in inbound:

If the downed planed was a POW transport, it would obviously be Russia's responsibility to give the Ukrainians a heads up.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
This is gonna sound crazy so just hear me out. Russia shouldn't have invaded and taken anyone out of the country.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Woah! :mods:

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

They didn't take anyone out of the country. There is only Russia! They took people from a distant province and just relocated them for a bit. Then someone killed them and all we can say for certain is the killers were definitely Russian.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Senor Big Snacks posted:

Apparently it was full of Ukrainian POWs.

Does Russia still take POWs? I thought they were repurposed into human shields?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1750266231838441764#m
Always a good day when terrorists' money goes up in flames.

Zeromus
Dec 11, 2004

I dunno, I'm not a plane crash expert but that seemed like a pretty big explosion for a plane carrying 76 POW's and nothing else. Usually planes are filled with enough fuel to get them from point A to point B. How long after takeoff did the plane go down?

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1750081231113322908

(edited for typos and video)

Zeromus fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1750266231838441764#m
Always a good day when terrorists' money goes up in flames.

Russian Bladerunner intro... much disappointment. :negative: