Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

:d2a:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

actionjackson posted:

true though that isn't really the chronic problem that cutting EV cables seems to be. maybe because the latter tend to be not tied to gas stations, where you have other people pumping gas as well as customers going in and out of the store.

some gas stations close at night. there's not much other than a few specialized bolts and a pump keeping someone out of the gas in the tanks, why isn't gasoline theft from underground tanks more common? apparently gas stations keep about 20k gallons on hand, that has to be a bigger score than any scrap metal.

Platystemon posted:

Gasoline is for its bulk one of the worst commodities you could possibly steal.

Who are you going to sell it to, anyway?

I can't think of a lot of commodities more fungible than gasoline. Move it into a legitimate supply chain for a slight discount, how would anyone ever know?

AreWeDrunkYet has issued a correction as of 05:22 on Jan 23, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Gasoline is for its bulk one of the worst commodities you could possibly steal.

Who are you going to sell it to, anyway?

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
I doubt they're cutting them for scrap. Hardly seems like there's enough copper there. But, idk. I serviced agricultural wells (and by service I mean I just refilled the oil so they didn't burn up) for a few years for a water storage district. The pumps have big copper coils that thieves sometimes try to steal. The pumps are only protected by a round cage and they're easy to break into, plus they're often out in the middle of nowhere, but the coils must be a bitch to get out.

While I was working there, word came out that some poor sap in another district found one of these thieves fried to a crisp while trying to steal one of the coils that still had power running to it.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

netizen posted:

I doubt they're cutting them for scrap. Hardly seems like there's enough copper there. But, idk.

at current scrap copper prices, if that's one of the level 2 public chargers, it's a bit more than $20 in scrap copper, and if it's one of the level 3 public chargers, a bit more than $30, so not a lot but if they hit up a handful of them and it doesn't take very long to do, maybe it is for scrap

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure one could get reasonably high for $20-30.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

fermun posted:

at current scrap copper prices, if that's one of the level 2 public chargers, it's a bit more than $20 in scrap copper, and if it's one of the level 3 public chargers, a bit more than $30, so not a lot but if they hit up a handful of them and it doesn't take very long to do, maybe it is for scrap

Call me when they get one of them level 10 public chargers you know what I'm sayin

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
quite a few gas stations are 24 hour and dc fast chargers in them would be fine for them. I have noticed truck stops having them in the regular car side now, idk why regular ones don't have them in america, its common in europe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Most of the chargers around here are at Sheetz stations, afaik Tesla pays Sheetz to maintain them, and I've never seen an EV cord cut.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Most of the chargers around here are at Sheetz stations, afaik Tesla pays Sheetz to maintain them, and I've never seen an EV cord cut.

How sure are we that it's copper thieves and not coal rollers?

How much copper is in one of those charging cables, anyhow?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
if they're cutting right at the top, it's about 7 and 3/4ths pounds of copper for a level 2 charger, and about 11 and 2/3 pounds for a level 3 charger. and copper goes for about $2.60/pound sold for scrap

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

He's clearly holding the cut end in his hands.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

netizen posted:

He's clearly holding the cut end in his hands.

hmmm..... u might want to re-think the image

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mbison yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcGjJvexJZo

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

hate this

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Look, I don't see how the width of parking bays is at all relevant. Why would you ever want to stop driving?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't want a weekend I want a bigkend

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Had to drop my partner off at work this morning, and I was nearly hit at an uncontrolled intersection by a driver who was staring down at their phone and never even bothered to slow down. It was pouring rain and I had to slam on my brakes. This loving country and the absolute morons who live in it

e: this was also a block away from a middle school lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sounds like everyone arrived safely.
american transportation system delivering for working people.
thank you joe biden.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

very relatable, though :sigh:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

whats the most liberal car

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

of all time or today?

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

AnimeIsTrash posted:

all cars are a pretty great example of liberalism

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Real hurthling! posted:

of all time or today?

which one do you own

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
it's a prius op

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

ur face is a fucken prius

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Smart Car. Arrogant name telling you it's the right choice :o: while being disappointing and restrictive on purpose

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Optimistic.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I assume the speed limit is just for bikes??

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I assume the speed limit is just for bikes??

Is 30mph even possible on a bike, absent serious sustained downhill or something

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Challenge accepted

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Is 30mph even possible on a bike, absent serious sustained downhill or something

The best pros can keep up that speed for an hour.

Many more can do it in a sprint.

In addition to downhill cheating, anyone can do it with enough of a tailwind, or with the assistance of a motor.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

One of the hardest parts of riding a bike is actually accepting that you do not have to be going as fast as possible at all times.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Learning that you can only go as fast as the person in front of you is a valuable life lesson.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is the most liberal car:

https://v.redd.it/o8qhxvxdkfec1/DASH_720.mp4

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Still safer for pedestrians than most pickups :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

One of the hardest parts of riding a bike is actually accepting that you do not have to be going as fast as possible at all times.

one of the roads that i take when i bike to work has signs all along the bike lane that let you know the streetlights are timed for 13mph, and it's a very pleasant speed