Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

You gonna go?

I've been to Cooperstown before and I can't imagine how awful it will be on HoF weekend so I'll be fine watching from home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Jays paid almost half that for IKF. Shoulda just signed Rhys

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Schilling is going to get in via committee before Bonds or Clemens and it's going to be lame

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

bawfuls is right
more and more people are saying it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Yay Rhys

Milwaukee will love him

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

bawfuls posted:

A bummer but true statement

Wasn’t Felix famously resistant to adjusting his approach as he got older? I thought I recall the BBQ boys taking about that but maybe I’m mixing him up with someone else.

Yes he also didn't really stay in shape or take care of himself.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

many such cases

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm just glad that Helton and Mauer getting in has lowered the bar enough for Bawfuls and I to agree that Jones deserves to get in as well.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of really good pitchers who had trouble staying healthy in their 30's, wtf is up with Kershaw? He's still unsigned and the Dodgers just went out and got Paxton???

I feel like if Kershaw gets his 3000th K this year and it's with a team other than the Dodgers I'll be able to hear bawful's enraged scream from across the country.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'm just glad that Helton and Mauer getting in has lowered the bar enough for Bawfuls and I to agree that Jones deserves to get in as well.

actually you'll find that to be incorrect because Bawfuls entire argument was just a lot of words coming down to he's upset Jones wasn't good as a Dodger, checkmate Big Hall haver

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Speaking of really good pitchers who had trouble staying healthy in their 30's, wtf is up with Kershaw? He's still unsigned and the Dodgers just went out and got Paxton???

I feel like if Kershaw gets his 3000th K this year and it's with a team other than the Dodgers I'll be able to hear bawful's enraged scream from across the country.
He's in no rush and neither are the Dodgers, as it saves them a 40-man spot right now. He will probably not even sign until like May or something, whenever he starts his throwing program after the surgery he had in the fall.

I remain convinced that he will not go to Texas, as I have been for the past several winters. I am absolutely certain he's not letting that DS game be his last start ever, and somewhat confidant he won't let it be his last as a Dodger.

edit: as for them getting Paxton, Eno Sarris made a good point about this on a podcast today. The Dodgers do not really care about innings or "rotation slots" at this point. They acquire pitching depth, and shuffle guys around based on who's healthy/effective at any given time. They run a defacto 6-man rotation without really saying so. There's no scenario where their rotation is "too full" for Kershaw.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 24, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

He's in no rush and neither are the Dodgers, as it saves them a 40-man spot right now. He will probably not even sign until like May or something, whenever he starts his throwing program after the surgery he had in the fall.

Oh yeah I totally forgot he needed to get surgery after getting pushed out to start a postseason game with 1/4th of a left shoulder. I need him to knock out 2-3 more Kershaw-esq seasons at a minimum because he is supremely close to 3000 IP, 3000 K's, career <2.50 ERA :eyepop:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Believe it or not with all his injuries, this is the first surgery of his career. I kind of think that if he can come back strong-ish this year and finish on a high note, this will be his last season. I've had a feeling for awhile that if they'd had won a championship in any season after 2020, he would have retired on the spot. That feels more true than ever now, although I wish he'd announce his final season at the start of whatever year it is so we can give him a proper sendoff.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

2-3 more Kershavian seasons

Fixed your typo

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Is peak vs longevity not a reasonable difference of opinion? Is it not possible to disagree on what a "good enough" peak is? His WAR total is right on the bubble. To me his peak was not high enough and he fell off too fast.

Darude is one of the only people who engaged with this disagreement in good faith. Their point about Utley is a good one.

I don't think people were being disingenuous when arguing that because Jones longevity was in his age 20-30 seasons instead of 25-35 shouldn't matter.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

I don't think people were being disingenuous when arguing that because Jones longevity was in his age 20-30 seasons instead of 25-35 shouldn't matter.
there were like... 2 people making this argument maybe, the rest were doing things like maffew buildings up there

but also 10 years is a pretty borderline definition of longevity to me

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

wow you figured it out, I don't actually think Jones is HOF worthy and was just trying to razz you good. a 10 year run of 350 homers and being the greatest defensive CF ever is like, whatever

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I didn't say you or anyone else was being disingenuous, Popete said that

I don't think anyone is doing that. I think lots of people thought my argument was laughable or outrageous or insane rather than a difference of opinion on what makes a Hall of Fame career.

I do think you're obviously being a bit disingenuous when you suggest that the entirety of my reasoning is because he was bad specifically on the Dodgers. I think you know that's not the case but it's more fun for you to pretend.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

yeah? well I'll still razz you yet, you just wait. edit: actually don't, that's a lot of effort that I should probably use on just about anything else now that my worst day of the year, HOF induction day, is over

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 24, 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

anyway posting about posting is the worst kind of posting

here is a tweet that reminds me too much of what could have been

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1749934985522692514

the first of many Frank McCourt crimes against baseball was letting this beautiful man walk away from LA

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I appreciate that Beltre interrupted two insanely productive careers with a short stint loving over the M's

(I tease, plus other than his walk year he wasn't that great with the Dodgers compared to his Rangers years)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

A couple of the folks I know were surprised Beltré went in first ballot and that he was "good but not great". I know it was already said here, but it's pretty wild how he had that insanely good a career while a lot of people just don't realize how he's on the shortlist of the greatest third basemen ever

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There was a time before his sustained Texas production, back in like 2010-ish, where Beltre was a popular "sleeper HoF" pick among the online sabr types. Even before his Boston breakout nerds drooled over his defense, noticed he was at ~45 WAR at age 30, and figured he had a shot. After a couple hot years with the bat, these kinds of posts got even more popular. Then he just kept hitting, made it to 3000 Hits and 93 godamn WAR, and made it a slam dunk case.

I don't know what kind of baseball consumption a fan has to have to get your impression of Beltre stuck in 2009. Maybe it's a microcosm of 3B in general, which is severely underrepresented in the Hall of Fame.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 24, 2024

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Bah. I really wanted Hoskins on the Cubs. Trading for that AAAA guy made it clear it wasn't going to happen, but I'm annoyed he went to Milwaukee, either way.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

bawfuls posted:

I don't know what kind of baseball consumption a fan has to have to get your impression of Beltre stuck in 2009. Maybe it's a microcosm of 3B in general, which is severely underrepresented in the Hall of Fame.

yeah I realized after posting I was talking to diehard Mariner's fans so that might explain it

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

anyway posting about posting is the worst kind of posting

here is a tweet that reminds me too much of what could have been

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1749934985522692514

the first of many Frank McCourt crimes against baseball was letting this beautiful man walk away from LA

The Red Sox don't get enough poo poo for letting Beltre walk so they could sign Adrian Gonzalez.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

LAT laid off 25% of its newsroom today, including the Dodgers beat writer?

https://twitter.com/ByJackHarris/status/1749881785167605997

Kinda feel like you can't fire your hometown beat guys. Oh well, it's not like the Dodgers have anything notable or exciting going on right now.

So going back to this

https://twitter.com/julcarm/status/1749901777804427315

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Capitalism, baby! WOOHOO!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

ARod and Bonds continued to be productive in their 30's. Jones did not. There are lot of players who had the first-half of a Hall of Fame career but for whatever reason failed to assemble the second half.

Somebody on the PL Discord last night said that the difference between HoF and Hall of Very Good or Hall of Excellent is how they ended their careers which I think is pretty incisive and true even if people don't think that should necessarily be the case.

bawfuls posted:

A bummer but true statement

Wasn’t Felix famously resistant to adjusting his approach as he got older? I thought I recall the BBQ boys taking about that but maybe I’m mixing him up with someone else.

CC's late career reinvention as a crafty lefty is so wildly impressive when you look around at how so many other pitchers just kind of flamed out because they were too stubborn to change course.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jan 24, 2024

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Felix literally ran out of gas, he was throwing 89mph beach balls his last season

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
So, next year it’ll definitely be Ichiro and probably Wagner?

Sabathia will probably get in at some point, I’m just not sure if it’ll be next year.

My other guess is that Buehrle will find a huge groundswell of support and be elected with roughly 90% of the vote.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

DeepDickPizza posted:

Bah. I really wanted Hoskins on the Cubs. Trading for that AAAA guy made it clear it wasn't going to happen, but I'm annoyed he went to Milwaukee, either way.

I very much did not want Hoskins on the Cubs. 2022 had some worrying Statcast or xStat numbers IIRC and now he’s coming off a lost season. Busch and/or Mervis will be fine.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Twin Cinema posted:

Sabathia will probably get in at some point, I’m just not sure if it’ll be next year.

My other guess is that Buehrle will find a huge groundswell of support and be elected with roughly 90% of the vote.

yes and Andruw Jones

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Tatsuta Age posted:

yes and Andruw Jones

lmao

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Twin Cinema posted:

I think CC has a decent chance of making it in on his first year, it seems like he's already got a good base of support among a lot of the more vocal voters, although he will be a big change in the "yardstick" numbers for SPs (which will have to happen sooner or later, I hope.)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

3000 strikeouts is not a big change for pitchers, it’s a staple just like 3000 hits

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mcmagic posted:

lol @ a "hall of fame" with joe mauer and not arod, bonds or manny. the whole thing is a joke.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

A couple of the folks I know were surprised Beltré went in first ballot and that he was "good but not great". I know it was already said here, but it's pretty wild how he had that insanely good a career while a lot of people just don't realize how he's on the shortlist of the greatest third basemen ever

I think it’s because he spent many years on two teams that are not very popular or covered

It would be like a good football player spending their prime on Jacksonville or the Chargers

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

3000 strikeouts is not a big change for pitchers, it’s a staple just like 3000 hits

I wasn't thinking of Ks, I thought he was farther behind in Wins, but that number's already come down more than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Criminal for 1.3% of votes for Bartolo and 0% for James Shields, when those two deserve a whole loving wing built to commemorate Shields serving up Colon's dinger