Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

A Trump shaped hole in the GOP will cause a temporary crisis. Many Trump-loyal voters will scorn meatball ron and nikki haley and anyone else who could currently be viewed as in opposition to Trump. Eventually a new empty suit will arise that the trump voters don't hate, but there's little chance they'll have the authentically transgressive fascist energy that Trump has. They'll be the 'competent fascist', and the media will be delirious with joy at a non trump republican no matter how much they suck. But they'll struggle to mobilize the base the same way Trump did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The midterm results have led Republicans to believe that there's a sizeable enough faction of their base that is slavishly devoted to Trump and Trump alone, hence why McConnell never went for the killshot during the second impeachment. The GOP won't die and will still control the blood red states, but until someone emerges from the vacuum as party leader we won't know what the focus is going to be, and if it's a further drifting right then it goes back to the issue of primary voters selecting someone who's not palateable for the electorate at large.

Trump isn't going to name a heir because that takes attention away from him, and so it'll be a battle of Junior trying to coast off of daddy's name vs. the MAGA crowd trying to turn the Trump worship onto themselves vs. establishment GOP like Tom Cotton hoping to try and rein the crazies in vs. something possibly worse that sprouts from Trump's grave like President MTG.

The issue with the theory is that we won't know until Trump is cold in the ground and who knows what the landscape will look like once that occurs.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

selec posted:

There is no return to normal ever. And I don’t even mean that in the ole can’t ever wade in the same river twice way. I think that the GOP can never be “normal” again but it doesn’t mean it can’t be sold that way in NYT op eds. If Haley did get it after Trump died, it’s still never going back. The base wouldn’t allow it.

Deciding Trumpism is the movement rather than an expression of a larger set of forces feels like mistaking the map for the territory. Trump didn’t gin up the sentiments he appeals to. He just listened and aped what he thought would work. He’s a symptom of a disease, and the disease won’t go away when he does.

The GOP created a monster, and now the monster they created is going to kill them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1749950152381493252

Haley has reserved ad space in the SCar market, but her main PAC has not yet. Does she make it a whole month?

Also Biden won with like 75 percent.

His competition was pretty horrific. I'm surprised they did as well as they did.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

His competition was pretty horrific. I'm surprised they did as well as they did.

You have to figure people didn't bother to turn out for the primary if he's not on the ballot, thus leaving just the primary voters to be people who really want to to write-ins and the others that think Phillips or Williamson have a chance somehow.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 24, 2024

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Angry_Ed posted:

You have to figure people didn't bother to turn out for the primary if he's not on the ballot, thus leaving just the primary voters to be people who really want to to write-ins and the others that think Phillips or Williamson have a chance somehow.

There's also :effort:

At least some voters are going to think "write in? Nah, I just want to click a button or color an oval and go home".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean the most logical thing to me is that you should assume they’ll do a whole hell of a lot worse when Biden is actually on the ballot. No? I can’t process the opposite insinuation.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the coming climate induced migrant crisis will probably ensure that ultra right politics survive and in fact thrive in america in the coming decades. heck probably a good chunk of this thread will become ultra-right. sorry!!!!

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Mia Wasikowska posted:

the coming climate induced migrant crisis will probably ensure that ultra right politics survive and in fact thrive in america in the coming decades. heck probably a good chunk of this thread will become ultra-right. sorry!!!!

If you get enough migrants moving around earth as parts of the world become uninhabitable, I'm not sure there's a thing the right or anyone on this thread could do to stop it whatever their politics.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

selec posted:

There is no return to normal ever. And I don’t even mean that in the ole can’t ever wade in the same river twice way. I think that the GOP can never be “normal” again but it doesn’t mean it can’t be sold that way in NYT op eds. If Haley did get it after Trump died, it’s still never going back. The base wouldn’t allow it.

Deciding Trumpism is the movement rather than an expression of a larger set of forces feels like mistaking the map for the territory. Trump didn’t gin up the sentiments he appeals to. He just listened and aped what he thought would work. He’s a symptom of a disease, and the disease won’t go away when he does.

Yeah, in a way I have (a tiny bit of) sympathy for some of these conservative voters because they know they're getting screwed just like everyone else in our late stage capitalism hellhole, and a lot of them are aware that the previous Conservative leaders have been feeding them lies about it. They're frustrated, angry, scared, and don't know what to do.

But between the decades of poisoning from right wing media, lack of intellectual curiosity or outright disdain for logical consistency, addiction to the fear and rage, and inherent racism in American culture being exploited by those same leaders they've directed their fury out at the poor, the minorities, the culture war bullshit targets as being the cause of their problems. They're driven by hate and spite and resentment now.

Trump has tapped into that. He bucks the system and conservative leadership that his voters can tell is screwing them while still validating their wrong-headed beliefs about why. Trump inflicts revenge on liberals and RINOs alike, and does it in a way that justifies all the worst parts of themselves; he gets to act like they wish they could.

I don't know if anyone besides a Trump could have done it, because you need pathological narcissism united with enough wealth to escape all consequences for your actions and without any self-awareness or intelligence to do the simpler things that are in your self-interest (like repeatedly defaming your rape victim) but that well of resentment was already there. Trump was just able to wrench it away from the corporate overlords that created it in the process of making their pet audience

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
https://www.sfgate.com/cannabis/article/calif-pot-company-valued-1-6-billion-worthless-18622076.php

The pot business in California is not going well.

quote:

Calling itself the “Apple Store of weed,” MedMen skyrocketed to national prominence in 2018 just as California’s new legal weed market was launching. MedMen’s executives claimed that their sleek retail locations were the future of legal weed. With locations in places like Beverly Hills and West Hollywood, the company predicted it would cash in massively on California’s booming legal weed economy, which at that time was projected to sell as much as $20 billion in pot a year.

But both MedMen and California’s cannabis economy have failed to live up to those promises. The state pot market has stagnated at about $5 billion in annual sales, a fraction of early predictions, and both California’s sales and tax revenue appear to be falling. The state has never been able to bring illegal sales into the legal market — by some estimates the majority of cannabis is still bought and sold on the illicit market outside of regulated stores — and hundreds of pot companies have subsequently gone out of business.

It's not medical there, anyone 21 and over can walk into a store and buy what they want. Why do people prefer buying illegally? Cost? Novelty, the "counter-culture" aspect to it... it's no fun if it's too easy? It's not something you can consume in large quantities the way one can with alcohol? Decades of "Legalize it!" lobbying and around 5 years later, no one cares that it's legal...

12 years a lurker
Aug 17, 2022

C. Everett Koop posted:

The midterm results have led Republicans to believe that there's a sizeable enough faction of their base that is slavishly devoted to Trump and Trump alone, hence why McConnell never went for the killshot during the second impeachment. The GOP won't die and will still control the blood red states, but until someone emerges from the vacuum as party leader we won't know what the focus is going to be, and if it's a further drifting right then it goes back to the issue of primary voters selecting someone who's not palateable for the electorate at large.

Trump isn't going to name a heir because that takes attention away from him, and so it'll be a battle of Junior trying to coast off of daddy's name vs. the MAGA crowd trying to turn the Trump worship onto themselves vs. establishment GOP like Tom Cotton hoping to try and rein the crazies in vs. something possibly worse that sprouts from Trump's grave like President MTG.

The issue with the theory is that we won't know until Trump is cold in the ground and who knows what the landscape will look like once that occurs.

Trumpism is an empty suit from a policy perspective; it's a cult of personality around one person who a majority of the Republican primary electorate adore (despite the election denialism, which is deeply unfortunate but appears to be the case seeing the NH results) because he is so personally offensive to people they view as liberal elites who look down on them. There's no distinct policy legacy compared to business as usual to be left behind or fought over.

The larger problem and change maker for the post-Trump GOP than the legacy of Trumpism (assuming we avoid the worst case scenario of him winning and then successfully refusing to let go of power again) is that the dog finally caught the car on abortion and their stance is deeply unpopular among women and everyone except the religious-right Republican core. https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/fact-sheet/public-opinion-on-abortion/. Once/if Trump-the-election-denier is no longer on the ballot and inflation is no longer running hot recently, Republicans are going to start losing a lot over abortion in a visible manner and the knife-fight between the true believers on one side and pro-choice moderates & people who just want to stop losing because of it on the other is much more likely to alter the party.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Wheeljack posted:

https://www.sfgate.com/cannabis/article/calif-pot-company-valued-1-6-billion-worthless-18622076.php

It's not medical there, anyone 21 and over can walk into a store and buy what they want. Why do people prefer buying illegally? Cost? Novelty, the "counter-culture" aspect to it... it's no fun if it's too easy? It's not something you can consume in large quantities the way one can with alcohol? Decades of "Legalize it!" lobbying and around 5 years later, no one cares that it's legal...

The taxes on it are absurd, it's like 25%-40% just for the convenience of walking into a store front. Basically every time you order online, the delivery person gives you their personal contact info so you can just buy from them directly instead of paying the taxes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am skeptical of taxes as the actual reason for the failure of many companies in the state-lawful cannabis space (which is what SFGate attributes as the cause in a linked article). In practice it's an area that was flooded with speculation and product, and regulation and enforcement was incredibly poor in part because of the influence of money, including large amounts of money from illicit enterprises, tobacco and VC. There was always going to be a major market collapse.

Meanwhile, in related news, the same sources of funding have gone hard into quasi-legal (actually unambiguously illegal) opioids sold as dietary supplements:

Gas-Station Heroin’ Sold as Dietary Supplement Alarms Health Officials

quote:

Tianeptine, found at convenience stores, at smoke shops and online, can mimic an opioid. It is among a growing class of substances that are difficult to control.

[...]
Tianeptine is a drug developed by French researchers in the 1960s as an antidepressant. It is approved in low doses for that use in many European, Asian and Latin American countries.

But at higher doses, it also works much as an opioid does, delivering short-lived euphoria. In the United States, many people take tianeptine under the widespread, mistaken belief that it is a safe alternative to street opioids like fentanyl or heroin, or even a way to taper off using them. On social media sites like Reddit, its merits are hotly debated, with more than 5,000 people subscribing to a “Quitting Tianeptine” forum.
[...]
Last summer, after Eric completed rehab for kratom, a potentially addictive herb from Southeast Asia that is readily available in convenience stores and smoke shops, doctors recommended medication for anxiety and depression. But Eric, a corporate salesman from a suburb in South Jersey, was determined to stay away from mood-altering prescriptions, to which he had been addicted in the past.

At a tobacco shop, he spotted Neptune’s Fix. A salesman said it could help with his mood and would not hook him.

“Since it was being sold in stores, I thought it can’t be that bad,” said Eric, who, like Anne, asked to be identified by his middle name to protect his family’s privacy. “You know, an energy drink type of thing.”

After tossing back a shot, he felt better almost immediately: more talkative, happy, confident.

But soon, Eric said, “I couldn’t stop taking it.”

Within a few weeks, he was up to five bottles a day, spending over $400 a week. His energy was flagging. Though he was a former college athlete still accustomed to working out daily, he now could not even get himself to the gym.

When he tried quitting cold turkey, withdrawal hit him with cold sweats, muscle aches, restlessness and irritability.

Weeks after he collapsed in the preschool parking lot, doctors from the New Jersey Poison Control Center tested the contents of his Neptune’s Fix bottles. Results included synthetic cannabinoids and other unlisted ingredients as well as tianeptine.

This last paragraph is particularly significant: one of the lines of argument used by the industry here is that these products are a way to treat opioid addiction. In practice users appear to just be swapping what they're addicted to. FDA is aware of the prevalence of the products but is both massively underresourced for large-scale enforcement action, and is keenly afraid of adverse caselaw if one of the (wealthy, somewhat politically influential) companies finds a way to try to undermine the agency's authority.

I'll note the article relies heavily on poison control center reports, which are massively underinclusive when it comes to this sort of product, and that some of the (poorly sourced) quotes are just industry talking points, in particular "if you make it illegal then people will just do it anyway" futility rhetorics.

This is another of the places where mandatory product registration for dietary supplements would be a major reform and save a lot of lives.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 24, 2024

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

Wheeljack posted:

One thing America has always done well is grow agricultural products in ridiculous bulk, but instead of lowering taxes and selling more product, states buck modern capitalist theory and continue oppressive tax regimes that encourage illegal sales.

But give housing developers tax breaks and states are first in line to offer favorable deals.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

zoux posted:

Also Biden won with like 75 percent.

I have to say, even for an incumbent president, this is pretty impressive.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Papercut posted:

The taxes on it are absurd, it's like 25%-40% just for the convenience of walking into a store front. Basically every time you order online, the delivery person gives you their personal contact info so you can just buy from them directly instead of paying the taxes.

Yep. The cumulative tax rate for weed in my current town is 37.25%, plus the fun of having to pay cash anyway since they can't get a CC processor to work with them even in a recreational-legla state, plus the markup for the place having to pay rent and have a massive storefront + hired security instead of just being a dude with stuff in his trunk, etc etc. My wife bought a literal single THC gummy and it was $8.00.

Plus, you have to add into their revenue shortfalls that just because the state legalized it doesn't mean the cities did. Some zoned that poo poo out of existence the moment it became legal (or just refused to allow permission to open in the first place) or required separate permits for delivery versus dispensary store front, sometimes separate tax structures for each, etc.

The state made legal weed uncompetitive with illegal, yet another mess of the state's own creation.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah Biden has about 60,000 votes once you process the write-ins and Trump has about 180,000 with a lower share of the total, people aren't voting in the unauthorized Democratic primary NH Republicans held to own the libs.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wheeljack posted:

One of the complaints I hear online about legal weed is that the gourmet store-bought stuff is so super-powerful, since that's what the market thinks people want, that it's taken people who grew up with stems-and-seeds ditch weed for a loop.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
Yeah, poo poo being way too strong and being taxed to hell, I'm not surprised things aren't going well. A lot of the major cannabis companies are having trouble staying afloat.

Also, I do think there is a difference between 'no one cares that it's legal' and 'the market cannot sustain $1.6 billion companies'. If these companies actually cater to the market and focus on more sustainable business growth, I'm sure it can thrive.

rkd_ fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 24, 2024

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Wheeljack posted:

I think the biggest problem is that the decades of "Legalize it!" lobbying are not finished, since it's not yet legal. Some states have changed their laws, but since it's illegal Federally most banks and credit card processors care a lot that they can be harshly penalized, seized, or shut down if they get involved with the businesses. So on the front end pot businesses have to operate in cash in an era when card and phone payments are vastly more popular (especially among younger people), which translates to needing more security and having a higher risk of theft. On the back end, the lack of a bank account cuts the business off from modern financial instruments, so they can't access lines of credit and business loans to help smooth out cash flow problems or fund expansion, can't cut checks (or direct deposit) to employees or to pay state taxes and fees, and other services. Some local credit unions will take the risk of working with a dispensary, but they charge exorbitant rates because they consider it high risk.

There are follow-on effects from this - since making money is much more difficult than it is with a fully legal business, people who know what they're doing and have other options are likely to decide to operate a business that doesn't have those drawbacks. I expect the rest of the regulatory structure around the industry is a hinderance too, which further discourages people who are good at running businesses to get involved.

The increased price from high taxes and higher costs for the business probably wouldn't be prohibitive alone. But I think once you combine the higher prices with the fact that consumers have to use cash instead of convenient card or phone payments like they would at a legal business and the fact that personal purchase and possession is either legal or illegal-but-unenforced, there's really no incentive for an individual to use the legal stores over the illegal ones.

The SAFE act at the Federal level would make a big difference if it was passed, since it would protect banks who do business with legal marijuana operations and let them operate like regular businesses - they could then move out of the early 20th century for things like accepting payments, paying employees, and getting loans.

EDIT: Anecdotally, my brother runs a plant nursery (primarily landscaping plants, some food plants) and got into legal hemp/CBD for a while when they first legalized that in my state. Growing the plants was pretty easy, and there were more buyers than he had inventory (plus they absolutely loved working with someone who acted like a professional instead of realizing at the last minute he had accepted more orders than he had grown). These are the low THC plants which don't count as a scheduled drug for federal laws, so he didn't have any banking issues. But just dealing with sorting through the uncertainties of new regulations and the testing requirements made the whole operation not worth the effort, so after one (maybe two) years of trying it he gave up and went back to safe, profitable sales to landscapers. Obviously some people are still growing and selling it around here, but the fact that the environment drove off someone who could easily handle the physical and regular business requirements is pretty telling to me.

Pantaloon Pontiff fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 24, 2024

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Wheeljack posted:

Cost is my guess.

I don't live in California, I live in NJ (it's legal here too), but I can get a 60% discount going to the grey market. In the NJ dispensaries, I'm paying 65-70 for an eighth of cannabis that's of a decent quality (but sometimes has a harvest date two months in the past). Alternatively, I can go to the guy I've been going to for a decade and get an ounce for $170 of comparable or better quality.

The only tradeoff is I get more choice at the dispensary, but with the gigantic discount, I don't care about that, and I still get to pick between a strain or two. I go to the dispensary for occasional vape oil or edibles, and I skip the flower.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
An eighth will generally go for about $45 in Connecticut but you can get an ounce in Massachusetts for about $100 if you go to the right place. Doubt there's any habitual smokers buying their stuff legally in Connecticut; if you buy it enough that the cost means anything to you our dispensaries aren't worth it. Good in a pinch, though. The taxes are definitely annoying.

I imagine California still has a strong legacy of individual growing, so there are probably a ton of grey market suppliers relative to other places.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
After the gag ruling came down, Trump posted this on his Truth Social page:

Notice anything...suspicious about this photo?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cimber posted:

After the gag ruling came down, Trump posted this on his Truth Social page:

Notice anything...suspicious about this photo?

Trump grew some fingers between Tuesday and now?

God, you can tell the right-wing shitheads by the way they use AI.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Young Freud posted:

Trump grew some fingers between Tuesday and now?

Thats one. There is more!

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
His hands are too large and he's kneeling backwards in the pew.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Trump entered a sanctified space without bursting into flames?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

The pews are overlapping.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cimber posted:

Thats one. There is more!

His hands are big?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Yeah. Hands are big, too many fingers, the pews are backwards and his jacket is leather. Plus he has angelic aura to him, but that could be by design.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

and his hair looks totally fake!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Speakin as someone who has actually been inert gas asphyxiated

fuckin lol, it doesn't hurt, you go out and then wake up and think "poo poo, what happened?" for a bit before remembering

Execution is morally wrong because it's loving wrong, but they aren't lying when they say this modern gas chamber works.

stroke, seizures are risks of inert gas asphyxiation. Partial hypoxia from it being done wrong increases the risk.

just to safely kill animals being used in scientific experiments is an endeavour. Prison executioners aren't going to be better.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Young Freud posted:

AI art is basically getting rejected by smart/talented people, and embraced by stupid and stupid-adjacent (e.g. grifters). If it hasn't already, it's going to replace Minions as being the preferred visual vehicle by which the most gormless people try to give shape to their thoughts, such as they are.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Reading between the lines, the article all but confirms the cited company MedMen did the standard America Capitalist route of opening a poo poo ton of stores at once. And the one photo looks like a huge store.

quote:

The collapse of MedMen, which has operated in multiple states including Florida and New York, can’t be blamed entirely on the larger problems in California. In 2019, the company itself was blamed for recklessly burning through cash, and its executives were accused of spending lavishly on their own expenses, including 24-hour armed guards, private planes and luxury cars. By 2020, MedMen was already falling behind on its bills.
Won't somebody think of the short-sighted, ignorant American corporation? :cry:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wheeljack posted:

Decades of "Legalize it!" lobbying and around 5 years later, no one cares that it's legal...

California legalized medical marijuana with ridiculously low requirements two decades before the ballot measure in 2016. It was already effectively legalized long before fully being legalized. For people already buying weed nothing changed and the legal shops were no better than what you were doing before

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Kalit posted:

I have to say, even for an incumbent president, this is pretty impressive.

It's actually one of the lowest percentages for an incumbent president in New Hampshire for their own primary in the last 50+ years.

Nixon had 67.6% in 72, George HW Bush had 53% in 92.

Reagan, Clinton, W, Trump, and Obama were all higher, though Regan did run unopposed.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 24, 2024

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Really wish I could see the prompt they used to generate that and if there were specific instructions on hand size.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sub Par posted:

Really wish I could see the prompt they used to generate that and if there were specific instructions on hand size.

Trump's natural speech patterns are a pretty good match for AI prompting already

"a picture of trump in church praying and his hands are huge, just the biggest hands, the greatest, everyone's saying it, really big hands folks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

like trump would ever debase himself to only having three sleeve buttons. This is a man who bucks convention and rolls with five