Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Who we smoke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol youtube showed me this from Campbell's Miami days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChJPgvGeIFI

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://x.com/tompelissero/status/1750159053626429950?s=46&t=OK6AvWM-NBtlIQDYnQH66w

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Goff has the ability to go head to head with the best QBs in existence.

He has also had fatal flaws that get exposed and cause losses. If he's somehow bandaided those flaws look out. But McVay clearly thought they were unfixable.

I just think he doesn't adjust and you have to have the game plan going into the game rather than pivot midgame.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Oh thank god, I was beginning to think they weren’t going to do it. :woop:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I would like to congratulate Packers fans on the upcoming

*googles Week 1 of NFL season*
*googles how many days until September 8th*

228 days of being happy with their defensive coordinator position.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Booooo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
All of these fuckers look like Getsy

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'll reserve comment until I see who they hire. I know it won't happen because it's loving Green Bay and I never get what I want, but I really hope they end up with someone worse.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I was just wondering to myself why they would take so long to make this decision, then checked the calendar and realize it has only been 4 days. My sense of time is completely hosed.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

MJeff posted:

Lol if even that. When Joe got hired everyone’s reaction was “What the gently caress”

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

really queer Christmas posted:

Need some good lions images and gifs please. For a project of mine.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

T-Square posted:

Lol if even that. When Joe got hired everyone’s reaction was “What the gently caress”

Yup. “We got the guy who was the DC for the 0-16 Lions?!!! :wtf:

And he actually had a second chance in Washington for two years and his defenses ranked something like 26th both years.

It was a very underwhelming hire for a team that was one game away from a Super Bowl when he was hired.

Now the only candidate that would get the same immediate reaction is Matt Patricia.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

kiimo posted:

Goff has the ability to go head to head with the best QBs in existence.

He has also had fatal flaws that get exposed and cause losses. If he's somehow bandaided those flaws look out. But McVay clearly thought they were unfixable.

I just think he doesn't adjust and you have to have the game plan going into the game rather than pivot midgame.

I think Goff is the other end of the "this QB needs the perfect surroundings to succeed" thing that gets levelled at a lot of guys around the league - usually guys who aren't doing the business.

I don't know what that "perfect" means and I'm not saying the Lions are it, but Goff has one of the best offensive lines in the league, a legit running game, a couple of total stud receivers and a bunch of guys he trusts/has a good connection with, all orchestrated by one of the hottest young OC's on the current HC circuit.

He's in a position to succeed, and whilever those supporting pieces are there, and Goff is taking advantage of it, you just sort of have to go with it? The Lions can't move on from Goff at this point and as a fan I'm done overthinking it. He is the QB. He is the guy. But there will be tests once Johnson leaves, if we spend any time without Ragnow and Sewell, if we lose St Brown or let guys like Reynolds go..

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

We absolutely need to use our first draft pick on the best centre in the draft, not so much to replace Ragnow and dump him on the curb, but more so to give him some depth so he doesn’t have to play through grievous injuries or can retire knowing he’s not leaving us up a creek

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Goff is an actual game manager and that's not an insult

Deals the ball to who needs it, doesn't make a ton of huge throws but also doesn't make a ton of mistakes, can still sling it deep if needed to keep the defence honest

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

We absolutely need to use our first draft pick on the best centre in the draft, not so much to replace Ragnow and dump him on the curb, but more so to give him some depth so he doesn’t have to play through grievous injuries or can retire knowing he’s not leaving us up a creek

No matter how the the next game (or 2) goes, we need depth in the O line, we need more guys in the secondary, and 1 more WR would be great. we are set at TE, set at RB, and the D line is doing just fine overall.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'll be happy if the new DC can get this defense to be even league average. That's how bad it's been.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It's a much much better CB draft than IOL draft so I'm assuming the Lions will pick a secondary player 1st round, there's a couple of C prospects projected for the 2nd round, tho a lot of teams need OL so they might get snapped up. There's no Tyler Linderbaum level prospects to be had this year it seems.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'll be happy if the new DC can get this defense to be even league average. That's how bad it's been.

Been saying this for a decade. :shepface:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I can tell you now I will be feeling a certain way when it comes to Ragnow retiring.

The 2018 draft was my first as a fan where I properly followed the draft, understood more about the process, roster construction etc, so it's like he's "my guy" in terms of rooting hard for a specific player and following their career so closely.

That he's turned out to be such a stud and this year especially, such a symbolic part of what this team is, sure helps. Said it during the Buccs game - build the drat statue.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Bears better find a way to come out of this draft with JPJ from Oregon or Barton from Duke(he might get taken higher if teams think he is a Tackle/Guard vs a Center/Guard).

That Georgia dude who's name I don't remember is also supposed to be good.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 24, 2024

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MJeff posted:

I mean it won’t even be that if Matt hired another guy because …. I have no idea why he hired Barry in the first place

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

lmao when they end up with Staley

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Out of curiosity, has a team ever vacated a position on their coaching staff and been unable to find a suitable replacement?

I guess they would never admit to that but I wonder how many promotions have happened because they couldn't get a decent bite in the pool.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Out of curiosity, has a team ever vacated a position on their coaching staff and been unable to find a suitable replacement?

I guess they would never admit to that but I wonder how many promotions have happened because they couldn't get a decent bite in the pool.

Have the Bears ever had a suitable offensive coordinator? Seems like we're always churning through guys who suck.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Dexo posted:

lmao when they end up with Staley

That would still be an improvement! :shepface:

Joe Barry is all-time baaaaaad.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it won’t even be that if Matt hired another guy because …. I have no idea why he hired Barry in the first place

Went all-in on Leonhard and that didn't pan out.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/perfectlyfine89/status/1749972249602294187

lol the Swifties found a video from June of the team talking about Taytay songs.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dexo posted:

Soon™

It Is Done
https://www.thedrawplay.com/comic/packers-playoff-pain-part-3/

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
https://twitter.com/AnnieAgar/status/1750163322052214865

In the same way that the Packers are required to have a franchise quarterback, they are also required to have a bad defensive coordinator, so this probably won't matter. But you've gotta try to improve, at least. I'm glad LaFleur is trying.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

That would still be an improvement! :shepface:

Joe Barry is all-time baaaaaad.

I'm pretty sure Staley's defenses have been as bad or worse than the packers with better talent lol.

Hell yeah.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Thankfully it sounds like Staley is not considered as an option at this point. Unfortunately Aubrey Pleasant might be an option though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hand Row posted:

Thankfully it sounds like Staley is not considered as an option at this point. Unfortunately Aubrey Pleasant might be an option though.

Going back to the well of "fired by the Lions, mediocre-at-best with the Rams" huh.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, "nah, we don't need to try and jam any of the guys on the MIAMI loving DOLPHINS" guy sounds about right for the Packers.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Orlovsky suggested Anthony Weaver (DL coach for the Ravens) as a possibility and I think I like that.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Orlovsky suggested Anthony Weaver (DL coach for the Ravens) as a possibility and I think I like that.

That would be cool. I feel like we haven't tried to build our defense around our line since the '90s; we've been very secondary-focused. Which was cool when we had Woodson + Harris + Collins, but not so much the rest of the time.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

SKULL.GIF posted:

If I had to pick one, Ejiro Evero

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

A Sneaker Broker posted:

If I had to pick one, Ejiro Evero

I think Carolina is going to keep him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Evero would be a pretty upsetting hire so I hope he gets the HC job in Carolina or something