Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Justin Tyme posted:

so many long as gently caress movies these days so i post the thread a question: what is the best, shortest, but still feature length theatrical release movie?

beau travail (92 mins) or spring breakers (94 mins)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

loquacius posted:

The typical Berklee student has been playing at least one instrument since like first grade

If you're just learning Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge at age 18 you are not ready for secondary musical education

wait when did berklee start having admissions requirements beyond the check clearing

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

if the question is best short movie ever then yeah its Man With a Movie Camera no question

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

so many long as gently caress movies these days so i post the thread a question: what is the best, shortest, but still feature length theatrical release movie?

Whatever movie is the best while being short and feature length is probably going to be an anime movie based on a series. They're usually like 90 minutes, better drawn and animated than the series they're based on, and typically are a tangential side story that has nothing to do with the main series other than featuring the characters and providing a little bit of world building.

So to more specifically answer your question, it's Digimon: The Movie.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

the perfect length of a movie is 115 minutes

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

drat 2017 was even more wild than i thought. being listed isnt endorsement

You Were Never Really Here
Killing of a Sacred Deer
Coco
The Florida Project
Get Out
Good Time
One Cut of the Dead
Blade Runner 2049
Columbus
Dunkirk
mother!
Brawl in Cell Block 99
Phantom Thread
Raw
Lady Bird
Death of Stalin

i keep meaning to watch Brawl in Cell Block 99 thanku for reminding me

also Death of Stalin is better then it had any right to be imo

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Justin Tyme posted:

death race 2000

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

exmarx posted:

beau travail (92 mins)

beau travail is a must watch, one of my favourites

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ignorant Hick posted:

Could not stop laughing when Mrs. Baldwen becomes more open and in touch with her emotions in season 2 and decides to have a frank conversation with her husband about loving her dead son's childhood friend.

i find it rather unsettling how "getting in touch with your emotions" has essentially become code for "be an rear end in a top hat who disregards other peoples feelings" but its the people who arent in touch with their emotions who are treated as if they dont have social skills

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

i think its hosed up that they denied margot robbie a Best Actress nomination because of her gender

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Justin Tyme posted:

theyre missing the real meaning of his nomination in that if it werent for his performance people frankly wouldnt have liked it or remembered it as much

I'd say it's maybe earned but also maybe seen a little unfairly; kinda the whole point of the movie has Barbie and Ken have separate, mirroring arcs, Barbie gets to have the serious one while Ken gets to be ridiculous. Culminating in leading the himbo war.

Though the bit at the end is probably just on the nose enough. Realising toxic masculinity loving sucks and does nothing but make you and everyone else around you miserable, but also knowing that means you have to actively fight everything you know and first think to do because it's been programmed into you that hard.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Weembles posted:

Also, I liked Poor Things' production design.

It was stunning, that and the costume design. Tons of visuals I’ve never seen before.

Don’t watch it with family tho good lord, got some friggin Frankenstein in my Nymphomaniac over here

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd say it's maybe earned but also maybe seen a little unfairly; kinda the whole point of the movie has Barbie and Ken have separate, mirroring arcs, Barbie gets to have the serious one while Ken gets to be ridiculous. Culminating in leading the himbo war.

Though the bit at the end is probably just on the nose enough. Realising toxic masculinity loving sucks and does nothing but make you and everyone else around you miserable, but also knowing that means you have to actively fight everything you know and first think to do because it's been programmed into you that hard.

Sounds like Ken had an innovative and stand out arc in an otherwise kinda generic 'empowered woman' movie

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
With good films with short run times, a few Jackie Chan films are up there. most are around 90-110min but Rumble in the Bronx is 87 minutes, Armour of God 2: Operation Condor is 80 minutes.

Obviously there's some classic silent films in there as well Battleship Potemkin is 66 minutes, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is 67.

Although there's stuff like trip to the moon which is 14 minutes which not sure anyone would really call "feature length".

The Australian invention of the feature film The Story of the Kelly Gang was 60 minutes.

I think anything under 60 minutes and people might stop calling it feature length. So the original might of also been the shortest.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

barbie movie is mid except the ken war

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDCnJHyMuyU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dr_rat posted:

With good films with short run times, a few Jackie Chan films are up there. most are around 90-110min but Rumble in the Bronx is 87 minutes, Armour of God 2: Operation Condor is 80 minutes.

Obviously there's some classic silent films in there as well Battleship Potemkin is 66 minutes, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is 67.

Although there's stuff like trip to the moon which is 14 minutes which not sure anyone would really call "feature length".

The Australian invention of the feature film The Story of the Kelly Gang was 60 minutes.

I think anything under 60 minutes and people might stop calling it feature length. So the original might of also been the shortest.

I wonder how much it matters that double features used to be a thing, as well as theatrical shorts like the golden age of animation. It might be a relatively later idea that people would go to the theatre and expect to just watch one specific movie, or at least that a movie's screenings would be a discrete thing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bro Dad posted:

barbie movie is mid except the ken war

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDCnJHyMuyU

Even the Ken war isn't brought about directly by toxic masculinity, but by the Barbie's manipulating the Ken's by leading them on and making them dislike each other.

For a film supposedly about feminism it plays into loads of toxic views of women for laughs and doesn't seem capable of actually questioning them, take for example the most telling line in the film, when Barbie is having a break down and feels old and ugly, the film undercuts the message that any woman can feel this way and it's okay by having the narrator joke "Of course, you shouldn't cast Margot Robbie if you want this to be believable."

Absolutely trash.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Nix Panicus posted:

Sounds like Ken had an innovative and stand out arc in an otherwise kinda generic 'empowered woman' movie

Women are gay

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PriorMarcus posted:

Even the Ken war isn't brought about directly by toxic masculinity, but by the Barbie's manipulating the Ken's by leading them on and making them dislike each other.

For a film supposedly about feminism it plays into loads of toxic views of women for laughs and doesn't seem capable of actually questioning them, take for example the most telling line in the film, when Barbie is having a break down and feels old and ugly, the film undercuts the message that any woman can feel this way and it's okay by having the narrator joke "Of course, you shouldn't cast Margot Robbie if you want this to be believable."

Absolutely trash.
Sounds like the movie celebrates toxic feminity.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

tryin to keep dudes from rocking smh

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Still haven't seen barbie or oppenheimer

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
barbie shouldn't have got two best song noms, and it's absurd that neither of them is the best one (angel by pinkpantheress)...

https://twitter.com/isaacfeldberg/status/1749804259762421810

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

exmarx posted:

barbie shouldn't have got two best song noms, and it's absurd that neither of them is the best one (angel by pinkpantheress)...

https://twitter.com/isaacfeldberg/status/1749804259762421810

I had been ignoring Asteroid City, is it basically Wes Anderson's Fallout

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
it's his most wes anderson movie yet

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Funniest Oscar nomination is easily the documentary about Mariupol. I can’t wait for it to win and Adolf Hitler comes up to accept the award on behalf of his homies

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Popy posted:

tryin to keep dudes from rocking smh

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/hello__caitlin/status/1749978018016317843

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

Funniest Oscar nomination is easily the documentary about Mariupol. I can’t wait for it to win and Adolf Hitler comes up to accept the award on behalf of his homies

just want to give a shoutout to all my big dawgs holding it down… Artem you’ll get those “rootless cosmopolitans” bro lol I believe in you ;)

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

lot of people dont know but women are actually allowed to compete in Best Actor categories its just that none of them have ever beaten the men

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

drake no: greta gerwig and margot robbie got snubbed

drake yes: kelly reichardt and michelle williams got snubbed*

*they weren't even campaigning/ever gonna gonna get nommed but w/e

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Hit them with a critical psych attack by saying "oh you think Margot Robbie is a better actress than Lily Gladstone?"

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

Hit them with a critical psych attack by saying "oh you think Margot Robbie is a better actress than Lily Gladstone?"

lily gladstone cheated by being in a movie about the genocide of native americans

https://twitter.com/JLRees/status/1749929660383744101

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It rules that the next battleground in the idpol war is a movie made to sell little girls toys

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the right was correct that Barbie would make libs deranged

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

This!!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i don't think i even realized they came out with another movie this year, was it any good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lily gladstone cheated by being in a movie about the genocide of native americans

https://twitter.com/JLRees/status/1749929660383744101

jesus lol

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DaysBefore posted:

It rules that the next battleground in the idpol war is a movie made to sell little girls toys

Nonsense posted:

the right was correct that Barbie would make libs deranged

Barbie kinda went full mask off when the climax of the film ended up being the Barbies coordinating to suppress the populist Ken vote.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the imagery in the Barbie movie that is most telling to me is that at first Barbie is taken aback by Ken driving his giant disruptive hummer around, but by the end of the movie she has reclaimed it as a Barbie Pink Hummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i don't think i even realized they came out with another movie this year, was it any good

i loved it, if you're a reichardt fan you'll like it