Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

do i still have time to invest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

have fun with all that i guess

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The green line isn't even accurate to the current data because he's adjusted it to the most generous angle possible, it would be closer to 50k going by averages.

And that assumes it would continue trending upwards for many more years which lol, lmao.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The green line isn't even accurate to the current data because he's adjusted it to the most generous angle possible, it would be closer to 50k going by averages.

And that assumes it would continue trending upwards for many more years which lol, lmao.

Yeah since the brown line is the actual trend line. Someone went full trump and pasted a wish line in there.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah since the brown line is the actual trend line. Someone went full trump and pasted a wish line in there.

“Someone?”:lol:

Maybe our favorite unhinged specter breasts?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i'm getting credible reports that bitcoin is about to moon

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

LordArgh posted:

i'm getting credible reports that bitcoin is about to moon

I believe you. The whole crypto ecosystem does tend to show its whole rear end every once in a while.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
One day a Bitcoin might be worth as much as a Moon Over My Hammy.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

look closer, it's days not years, coins will be 70k+ by the end of the month

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Vesi posted:

look closer, it's days not years, coins will be 70k+ by the end of the month

BUY BUY BUY

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zedprime posted:

One day a Bitcoin might be worth as much as a Moon Over My Hammy.

Before or after consumption?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Before or after consumption?

Oh, you still won't actually be able to actually buy a Moon over my Hammy with it, it'll just be worth as much maybe.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

What if bitcoin, but it’s holding a lightsaber?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

What if bitcoin, but it’s holding a lightsaber?

Beat(saber)coin

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I love reading the descriptions of shitcoins.

quote:

TRAC is an Ethereum token that powers OriginTrail, which describes itself as a “decentralized knowledge graph.” OriginTrail is used to discover, manage, and store data for everything from supply chain tracking to verifying art, diplomas, and business certifications. TRAC token is used to pay for data processing and storage on the network.

quote:

MultiversX is a highly scalable, secure, and decentralized blockchain network created to enable radically new applications for users, businesses, society, and the new metaverse frontier. The EGLD Token is the native token powering the MultiversX Network, and its utility comprises all core network functionalities such as staking, governance, transactions, smart contracts, and validator rewards.

quote:

GST is a Solana token that powers STEPN, a Web3 lifestyle app that encourages users to “move-to-earn.” STEPN users with NFT sneakers can earn GST by walking or running outdoors, or by “renting” out their NFT sneakers to other users. GST can be used to pay for digital items and upgrades.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
brb gonna rent out my NFT sneakers

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Can't wait to be a digital sneaker landlord.

Better yet, can't wait to buy a few hundred digital sneakers then hire cheap labor in the Philippines to run in my digital sneakers in literal sweat shops while I skim 90% of their earnings and have tech bro thought pieces written about how I'm a brave digital entrepreneur assisting people in the Global South earn money in the new international crypto-digital economy.

Nov 6, 2002

oh it already pumped and dumped some time ago

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

quote:

GST is a Solana token that powers STEPN, a Web3 lifestyle app that encourages users to “move-to-earn.” STEPN users with NFT sneakers can earn GST by walking or running outdoors, or by “renting” out their NFT sneakers to other users. GST can be used to pay for digital items and upgrades.
What is the business model here? Strip away all the buzzwords and pretend the tokens are actually worth money and what is the point of this? "Pay us money to pay you to walk" what's the point? How is this supposed to... anything?

Nov 6, 2002

Splicer posted:

What is the business model here? Strip away all the buzzwords and pretend the tokens are actually worth money and what is the point of this? "Pay us money to pay you to walk" what's the point? How is this supposed to... anything?

see: pump & dump

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Splicer posted:

It's just a multi-level marketing ad but with a bunch of NFT poo poo attached. "Just pay us a small startup cost and soon you'll be making money WHILE YOU WALK!!!"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

NFTs may be dead but the grift will live on forever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It's just a multi-level marketing ad but with a bunch of NFT poo poo attached. "Just pay us a small startup cost and soon you'll be making money WHILE YOU WALK!!!"
I know that, you know that, but how is any mark supposed to read this and think "Yes, yes, this makes sense, this is a thing that I want to put my money in"? Like, even if you don't know it's a scam, how do you not just think it's a bad business venture?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
you can't fake steps on the blockchain

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Consider how it is completely irrational to think that the IRS would want to be paid with iTunes gift cards that must be acquired immediately and yet countless victims of that scam appear every day.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 25, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Splicer posted:

I know that, you know that, but how is any mark supposed to read this and think "Yes, yes, this makes sense, this is a thing that I want to put my money in"? Like, even if you don't know it's a scam, how do you not just think it's a bad business venture?

It's Chuck E Cheese coupons that you earn by walking around instead of playing ski ball.

The underlying "value" (and just assume I surrounded that with so many scare quotes that your browser crashed) is that you can exchange these things for digital goods (read: dumb avatars and profile stickers and the like). You know all that stupid cruft that you can get by earning packs in Steam? Yeah, that poo poo. In theory those stickers etc. have value because you can use them online and others think they're cool, probably on some linked social media bullshit. So you go for a walk, earn 15 sneaker funbux, and then can use that to pretty up your avatar or profile or whatever. Hypothetically, since we're already presupposing a situation where people give a gently caress about these digital tchotchkes, the funbux you use to buy them might be bought by others who want the sick moon walking inflation fetish darth vader profile picture but don't want to walk around the block for three months to get it.

If you noticed the number of times I said things like in theory and hypothetically congrats you spotted the problem.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SettingSun posted:

NFTs may be dead but the grift will live on forever.

Oh yeah well my NFT is approaching 292746201346. What say you, my good bitch?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I bumped into a bitcoin ATM the other day, and let me tell you there is a threshold where an emphasis on how SAFE and 100% GUARANTEED SAFE and SAFEST IN THE WORLD in a whole lot of signs crosses the threshold into obviously a trap. I felt like I was standing in front of an elden ring mimic chest.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Splicer posted:

There isn't one. Which is why the tokens went to zero.

"You'll get paid to walk/play videogames/etc" should always cause you to ask "why would someone pay me to do that?" and the answer is usually "they won't". The purpose of the tokens is to obscure this fact. People get paid tokens to walk, but no one wants to pay strangers to walk, so the tokens just get more and more worthless.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Splicer posted:

Because it has NFTs in it and NFTs can only go up uP UP!!!

Like, I'm not sure what you want me to say here. You can't defeat the scam by telling people to ignore the NFT parts and look at the base business model, because the NFT parts are what obscures the stupidity of the business model and makes the scam work. That's the whole point.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

coolusername posted:

I bumped into a bitcoin ATM the other day, and let me tell you there is a threshold where an emphasis on how SAFE and 100% GUARANTEED SAFE and SAFEST IN THE WORLD in a whole lot of signs crosses the threshold into obviously a trap. I felt like I was standing in front of an elden ring mimic chest.

I only go restaurants that have plenty of signs telling me I definitely won't get food poisoning.

Nov 6, 2002

laf

quote:

I tried searching past posts and didn’t see anything conclusive. There’s typically something basic that posters were missing when they asked stuff like: “why am I earning half gst now?”

I also do reference the white paper - but for this particular question they have a formula that I can’t make heads or tails of.

My question here is actually: based on my level of activity, and the shoe’s stats - am I making (close to) as much GST as I can?

My question is prompted by the GST, earning yellow bar and how it looks all super low. Also, I’ve upgraded my shoe from like level 14 a week ago to level 21 now- and I keep putting all points towards GST earning (yellow) - but after every walk I’m making about the same as has been the case - or lower if I’m somewhere with terrain that slows me down.

I’m wondering if I’m going too fast? I’m walking briskly. If I walk leisurely I hit that 3-4 mph pace. I think briskly it’s 4-5mph though I’d have to check.

My shoe’s HP is lower - at around 80% I think (it’s leveling up right now) - but not at the 50% where it’d matter.

I’m not sure what I should do to earn more GST with this shoe (I know getting a different shoe and gens would get me more GST- but I’m trying to sort out if I’m being inefficient withTHIS one). Would appreciate people’s insights.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
optimizing my retirement portfolio by walking at a 3-4 MPH pace

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I assume this is somehow tied to a fitness tracker device that counts your steps? That would be super easy to spoof so it thinks you're walking 1 billion steps per day and tanks the NFT shoe rental economy.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

the real treasure was the cardio we did along the way

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so did some shitcoin really gamefied walking, or is that just a tech health app that gamefied walking

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

so did some shitcoin really gamefied walking, or is that just a tech health app that gamefied walking

Gamifying walking is old news. Zombies Run! did it over a decade ago, and I'm sure they weren't the first.

Some shitcoin pretended that they managed to commodify walking. Now that's innovation!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

stupid cruft

Reporting for posting duty, sir! :dumb:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Aramis posted:

Zombies Run!

I got into season 2 on this and I'm here to tell you it's pretty fun, and worth the subscription IMO. It's essentially a podcast that ties into your jogging and occasionally spurs you to pick up the pace.

Now back to your regularly scheduled griftcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I was using Zombies Run! a few years ago but fell off because the plot didn't really grab me, and the acting was sometimes grating. That and I got more into podcasts for my exercise listening.