Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

It don't get more useful than 18X gently caress yeah let's go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

fknlo posted:

My girlfriend's 17 year old is heavily leaning towards enlisting. His dad who is still a Marine and myself are more or less ok with it, but we've both told him to get into something that will be useful in the real world when he gets out. We'll see how it goes if he actually does it.

IT in whatever branch he fancies.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
the problem that the vets I know have had is even if they have relevant professional experience in the military, those outside of it can’t possible conceive that they have that experience and think you only shoot things and drink beer

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I was lucky enough not to be in a combat arm, I gained a valuable skill set that has vast and lucrative opportunities in the real world, and my best and closest friends are all people I served with.

That said, gently caress being a literal second class citizen for the MIC, and gently caress even more being one of the dudes I work with struggling with PTSD and TBIs from combat. Wouldn't recommend enlisting to my worst enemy.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
he should go do the USAF job where you wear PT gear and hand out towels at the gym. it turns out that one has all the same benefits as every other job, only with much less TBI risk

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

RIP Ambassador Soval
https://www.ign.com/articles/alien-nation-and-star-trek-enterprise-star-gary-graham-dies-aged-73

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

maffew buildings posted:

he should go do the USAF job where you wear PT gear and hand out towels at the gym. it turns out that one has all the same benefits as every other job, only with much less TBI risk

I remember finding out about the American call to service program where you got full GI benefits for 18 months active and 4 years reserve or something like that.

At the time it seemed like a much better deal than my 6 year contract with a potential 2 year extension.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

As a guy who works in an industry that works closely with vets and current military. Some of the nicest most put together folks I've ever met where vets, but also the most stupid and maliciously incompetent people I've ever met where vets. So in conclusion vets is a land of contrast.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
serial killers and saints come from broken homes.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Grip it and rip it posted:

I remember finding out about the American call to service program where you got full GI benefits for 18 months active and 4 years reserve or something like that.

At the time it seemed like a much better deal than my 6 year contract with a potential 2 year extension.

A lot of my classmates at Hospital Corps School were in under this program, all going greenside. One specifically because it was the shortest route to getting "Veteran" status preferential hiring for his dream job: Boston Fire Department like his father and grandfather.

That was the year the Red Sox won the World Series. He went home on leave to put a Sox cap on his grandfather's grave.

When I told that story to my father-in-law, also from Boston, he said "Yep. Makes perfect sense to me."

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

fknlo posted:

My girlfriend's 17 year old is heavily leaning towards enlisting. His dad who is still a Marine and myself are more or less ok with it, but we've both told him to get into something that will be useful in the real world when he gets out. We'll see how it goes if he actually does it.

Have them consider the NG especially if your state offers cool benefits like a tuition-covered scholarship.

Anecdote of one but the NG set me up for life: I got an IT background, immediately came back from training and started college in a highly-competitive state school CS program 100% tuition covered by my state guard scholarship, lived off drill pay/FAFSA, saved most of my extra grants/scholarships and graduated with more in my bank than most people my age who are working full time. I volunteered for a mob right after graduating that let me jumpstart my retirement investments and network to step right into a $stupid contracting gig, as well as used the opportunity to get all of the issues I've accumulated from training documented on active duty and rated by the VA.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

fknlo posted:

if they absolutely insist on being military push them to ROTC. life as an officer for any branch is >>>>>>>>>> any enlisted that is not crabdad. also they will have a degree they can fall back on if they do not career it. making the gov pay for your education before you are in is way better than doing the enlisted route.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
New Hampshire Primary results:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1749948412110254359

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1749950152381493252

And on the Democratic side, where Joe Biden isn't even on the ballot due to him and the DNC pulling NH out of the first-in-the-nation status:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1749949911796183372

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Lol 7 minutes later he calls it

Let’s see if Haley wants to keep burning the war chest

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Defenestrategy posted:

As a guy who works in an industry that works closely with vets and current military. Some of the nicest most put together folks I've ever met where vets, but also the most stupid and maliciously incompetent people I've ever met where vets. So in conclusion vets is a land of contrast.

Between the guy I've met twice now through my business who is In but apparently has a fear of deodorant and this I just came across:

https://youtube.com/shorts/brgq6VdQOFg?si=8nCo4TDL0b8Nbx7f

...this post is timely.

I can't imagine the hell that was the rest of his basic after that incident.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Between the guy I've met twice now through my business who is In but apparently has a fear of deodorant and this I just came across:

https://youtube.com/shorts/brgq6VdQOFg?si=8nCo4TDL0b8Nbx7f

...this post is timely.

I can't imagine the hell that was the rest of his basic after that incident.

I guarantee you someone else did something dumber before the day was done. Possibly within the hour.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Naramyth posted:

Lol 7 minutes later he calls it

Let’s see if Haley wants to keep burning the war chest

It’s not that a whole lot changed in those seven minutes, it’s that fifty‐four to forty‐four, while comfortable for Mr. Trump, is not a blowout.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Platystemon posted:

It’s not that a whole lot changed in those seven minutes, it’s that fifty‐four to forty‐four, while comfortable for Mr. Trump, is not a blowout.

And it's believed that a significant percentage of those that voted for Haley would not under any circumstance vote for Trump as the party nominee, and that a non-trivial number would cross party lines to vote against him. If this were a normal candidate in a normal primary, Trump's numbers would be great, but in context, this represents a problem for his chances at winning the general election. He should still carry any deep red state, but his odds of winning any contested state should be pretty bad.

at least that's what I tell myself so that I don't get my middle name spoken aloud on national news. Watch him make an rear end of everyone just like he did in 2016.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A.o.D. posted:

And it's believed that a significant percentage of those that voted for Haley would not under any circumstance vote for Trump as the party nominee, and that a non-trivial number would cross party lines to vote against him. If this were a normal candidate in a normal primary, Trump's numbers would be great, but in context, this represents a problem for his chances at winning the general election. He should still carry any deep red state, but his odds of winning any contested state should be pretty bad.

That’s what I told a friend to put a positive spin on it. Or rather, I framed it as “this is how I would make it an interesting story if I worked for a news organization.”

If four in ten Republican primary voters are saying “maybe it’s time for someone else”, what chance is there for “moderates” to go for DJT? How motivated with that forty percent of the GOP base be to the pull the lever for him?

And it’s not like Nikki Haley is an Obama‐level inspirational figure. People aren’t voting for her as much as against Trump, and she’s not even a good anti‐Trump. She was in his cabinet and has not spoken strongly against him.

Look at it in 2016 terms:

I would say that Bernie is a stronger candidate than Nikki Haley, but ultimately his performance said less about his strength and more about Clinton’s weakness.

A.o.D. posted:

at least that's what I tell myself so that I don't get my middle name spoken aloud on national news. Watch him make an rear end of everyone just like he did in 2016.

Yeah I don’t know that I believe it myself.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Platystemon posted:

Oh hey she beat her polling by 5 points

She was 15 behind going into yesterday. She needed a double digit+ polling error to maybe get ahead and that hasn’t happened basically ever

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Concern for me is that the Haley “never Trump” voters just don’t vote instead of voting for Biden and well, are we expecting massive minority and young voter turnout for a guy who should be in a retirement home with a weak economy?

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

quote:

Financial Times: US asks China to help stop Red Sea blockade

The US has asked China to urge Iran to exert diplomatic pressure on Yemeni forces blockading commercial ships in the Red Sea according to American officials.
Dropping bombs doesn't solve the problem? :confused:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

That Works posted:

Concern for me is that the Haley “never Trump” voters just don’t vote instead of voting for Biden and well, are we expecting massive minority and young voter turnout for a guy who should be in a retirement home with a weak economy?

You mean with people mistakenly thinking the economy is weak?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Dropping bombs doesn't solve the problem? :confused:

From what I read, its either China doesn't have the capacity or capability to conduct blue navy poo poo so far away, OR they just figure we'll do it for them so why waste any effort or resources at all when we're gonna do it with a coalition anyway. Plus this doesn't get them allied against Iran proxies.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That Works posted:

You’re going to have to be more specific.

But in all seriousness, every republican who stays home because they can’t pull the lever for trump is a win for the dems. There will be way fewer than haley’s numbers suggest, but even a couple percent is going to make it a blowout.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OddObserver posted:

This seems like a weird interpretation of individual polls not matching up to economic indicators. There’s a lot of ways the economy can be strong while leaving people thinking they’ve still got the short end of the stick.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

This seems like a weird interpretation of individual polls not matching up to economic indicators. There’s a lot of ways the economy can be strong while leaving people thinking they’ve still got the short end of the stick.
That's the thing: the polks aren't "economy sucks for me", they are "economy sucks, but I am doing peachy" overall. And this, of course, after a first non-austerity response to a crisis in a long time produced far better results than the austerity responses.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That Works posted:

As others have already said, a Republican voter not voting is essentially the same as them pulling the lever for Biden.

I am curious about turnout for the younger crowd this election. I recently heard a story about how college/university admissions have been changing. Turns out young people are pulling out of schools that are in states with restrictive abortions or plan B laws. The story cited something like 10-15% dips, but it shows that the kids are actually thinking and taking action. Maybe Taylor Swift will deploy her legions, maybe kids are starting to care.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
All the clips of Haley and others telling the kids in their 20's that they're just gonna have to work until they're 70 aren't going to go over well either.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OddObserver posted:

That's the thing: the polks aren't "economy sucks for me", they are "economy sucks, but I am doing peachy" overall. And this, of course, after a first non-austerity response to a crisis in a long time produced far better results than the austerity responses.

I’m referring to articles like this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/sanfrancisco/news/why-so-glum-americans-stay-bummed-despite-steady-economy-rebound/

Economists say the economy is good, individuals who have to deal with rampant profiteering on basic necessities say it’s bad and also bad for them.

The disconnect in economic indicators and public opinion doesn’t exist in Europe and didn’t used to exist in the US. My pet theory is people in the US either used to have the illusion that economic success was distributed more evenly or it actually was distributed more evenly. It may be different in Europe or Europeans might just be in denial (but probably the former since they get to have things like healthcare and vacations).

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 24, 2024

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

ASAPI posted:

As others have already said, a Republican voter not voting is essentially the same as them pulling the lever for Biden.

I am curious about turnout for the younger crowd this election. I recently heard a story about how college/university admissions have been changing. Turns out young people are pulling out of schools that are in states with restrictive abortions or plan B laws. The story cited something like 10-15% dips, but it shows that the kids are actually thinking and taking action. Maybe Taylor Swift will deploy her legions, maybe kids are starting to care.

I would think that a Republican that stays home is -1 vote but one that changes party is -2 or something. Theres got to be electoral math maybe?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

fknlo posted:

All the clips of Haley and others telling the kids in their 20's that they're just gonna have to work until they're 70 aren't going to go over well either.

GenZ has no illusions about getting to be 70

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/sanfrancisco/news/why-so-glum-americans-stay-bummed-despite-steady-economy-rebound/

Economists say the economy is good, individuals who have to deal with rampant profiteering on basic necessities say it’s bad and also bad for them.

The disconnect in economic indicators and public opinion doesn’t exist in Europe and didn’t used to exist in the US. My pet theory is people in the US either used to have the illusion that economic success was distributed more evenly or it actually was distributed more evenly. It may be different in Europe or Europeans might just be in denial (but probably the former since they get to have things like healthcare and vacations).

Because the target audience for American facing Economists isn't individuals - its investors and biz leaders who are not hurting. Everyone else can get hosed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ASAPI posted:

My concern is that it gets us back into a stupid knife-edge low voter turnout "anything goes" kind of situation. Some republicans not voting for Trump will hopefully be enough to counteract the complete lack of appeal of a Biden 2nd term for many. He initially campaigned on running only one term due to his age and that just vanished after a while. He's done some good things but he's not ever going to be the type to energize many new voters or younger voters to come out to the polls imo.

OddObserver posted:

Yeah lemme go tell my grad students who have had a 5% salary increase concomitant with a 30-35% rent increase and a 25% increase in food costs over the last few years that its fine. My salary increase has been even smaller but because I make enough to absorb the increased costs of living it only hurts me by cutting into the amount I spend in general / funnel into retirement savings. Working as much or more than ever for less at the end of the day, hard to say its a good economy but I don't spend my time on Wall St.

That Works fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 24, 2024

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Tiny Timbs posted:

The title of "Economist" should have the exact same cultural cache as "astrologist/psychic/tarot reader", because they're all functionality identical careers.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't know if we should be so surprised about all this. People feel inflation immediately but don't get the benefit of rising wages until they change jobs, so there's a lag between the negative and positive effects of inflation, plus there were a lot of widely reported layoffs in tech and banking which creates anxiety. The prediction of recession (from - get this - economists) also creates anxiety. All of that takes a while to work through before the public starts feeling secure again, which is what they need to say the economy is good.

Europe doesn't work the same way because the European economy genuinely sucks - much sharper price rises especially in food (often imported) and energy (always imported) combined with the aftereffects of a decade of slow growth, and a sharp downturn in the German export economy, meant that European suffered a much stronger shock than the US.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That Works posted:

My concern is that it gets us back into a stupid knife-edge low voter turnout "anything goes" kind of situation. Some republicans not voting for Trump will hopefully be enough to counteract the complete lack of appeal of a Biden 2nd term for many. He initially campaigned on running only one term due to his age and that just vanished after a while. He's done some good things but he's not ever going to be the type to energize many new voters or younger voters to come out to the polls imo.

Biden is certainly a flawed candidate and I agree, he has issues "turning out the vote".

Hopefully, we don't end up with (let's face it, it is very likely) super thin margins in November. I am still optimistic about younger voters showing up. Unfortunately, we won't know until November as these groups are really captured with polling.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Ocean mad.

https://x.com/volcaholic1/status/1749554817431675230?s=20

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I am exactly one of those "My situation is good but I feel the 'economy' is hosed" people and my reasoning for that is because I live my life one wrong car turn or cancer diagnosis or blood vessel away from losing everything I have to bankruptcy and homelessness for my family with absolutely no form of safety net to catch us the picosecond I am no longer a profit-making endeavor for my employer. How the gently caress does me making an above average salary and having some money in the bank translate to a good situation when it can all completely evaporate with no hope for recovery based on nothing I did or choices I made? It's a better situation than I've had in the past, but that is a long goddamn way from good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bird food bathtub posted:

How the gently caress does me making an above average salary and having some money in the bank translate to a good situation when it can all completely evaporate with no hope for recovery based on nothing I did or choices I made? It's a better situation than I've had in the past, but that is a long goddamn way from good.

By that metric, I don't think the economy in America has ever been good in history? If the metric of bad is "I earn more than most people and hiring is strong, but what if I didn't anymore and what if hiring weren't strong anymore?" then that's a fairly low bar.

I think a better measure of long-term anxiety is tied to housing costs. Yes, houses are larger now, and that is a portion of why housing costs have jumped, but also you have areas where developers or NIMBYs simply refuse to build small houses or apartments, and that doesn't make people feel great when they're realizing that their one weird trick to own a home is moving to boring-backwoods, the small city.