Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

2024 is finally here and ipv6 has arrived. looks like this might be hte last year any of us work with ipv4 addresses. its been good but time to move on and i have mixed & bittersweet feelings about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i'm laminating and scrapbooking my ipv4 addresses so i can share them with my grandchildren

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
2024 will be the year of ipv6 on the desktop

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my new isp doesn’t support native ipv6 for residential customers, op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Zlodo posted:

2024 will be the year of ipv6 on the desktop

yep

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:smugdon:

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

my new isp doesn’t support native ipv6 for residential customers, op

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

they did promise that everyone would get their own ip, possibly two! i'm quite excited to see what the future holds

matti
Mar 31, 2019

good riddance!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

they will allocate IPv6 in a dumb way that gives everyone billions of IPs and then run out in 30 years and wonder why

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sweevo posted:

they will allocate IPv6 in a dumb way that gives everyone billions of IPs and then run out in 30 years and wonder why

this

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

just let the digits in IPv4 go up to 999.999.999.999 instead

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sweevo posted:

Meh I'm sure they'll find a way to shove an extra bit of address somewhere when this happens

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sweevo posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pretend this post is a gif of Oprah that has the text “and you get a /48! and you get a /48!”

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
my isp and my cellular provider don't have ipv6, but my isp supports multiple pppoe sessions so I can have 5 dynamic ipv4 address

also the news that probably started this thread

Czech republic sets IPv4 end date

quote:

On 17 January 2024, the Government of the Czech Republic approved the material "Restarting the implementation of DNSSEC and IPv6 technologies in the state administration". On the basis of this decision, the Czech state administration will stop providing its services over IPv4 on 6 June 2032. Thus, the Czech Republic knows its IPv4 shutdown
https://konecipv4.cz/en/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pretend this post is a gif of Oprah that has the text “and you get a /48! and you get a /48!”

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sweevo posted:

worth it.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I think China mandated IPv6 for all new equipment, but I haven't seen it in HK nor the UK. I have an IPv6 on Comcast business, but not on Altice/Optimum, in the US.

Of course the Comcast router bungles the IPv6 configuration so it's not really usable.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if the goal of ipv6 was to not run out of address space it is a great success, kind of silly to increase the space when just making no one use it preserves all the space there is.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

it's really good because then you can use the remaining 80 bits of the address to store machine names directly in ascii instead of bothering with a dns

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
just map mac addresses 1 to 1 with your /48, addressing is solved once and for all

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Perplx posted:

just map mac addresses 1 to 1 with your /48, addressing is solved once and for all

do you have a tutorial i can follow for this? thanks in advance

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ipv4 was so successful during its heyday that we barely remember what ipv3 even was or how it worked. rip to a real one.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

ipv4 was so successful during its heyday that we barely remember what ipv3 even was or how it worked. rip to a real one.

:sign:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

RIP being able to recite your IP address by heart

also for a long time my work machine was on the 198.162/16 subnet which meant 80% of the time I needed to fiddle with my home router (on, of course, 192.168/16) I'd get its local IP wrong :sad:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my ip address will forever be 69.69.69.69 in my heart and soul

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

in aws the stuff in your vpc (like dns) is prefixed with
code:
fd00:ec2
:3:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i p … freely

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
my isp doesn't support ipv6 lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i'm using ipv4 right now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Dijkstracula posted:

RIP being able to recite your IP address by heart

::1

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
actually it's not all that hard to memorize ipv6 addresses if you have your own prefix (get one at https://ipv6.he.net). a /48 can be like 5 characters if you want it to be

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jizz.cum amiright???

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mediaphage posted:

my isp doesn't support ipv6 lol

owned

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
my isp doesn't support ipv4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

my isp doesn't support ipv4

owned

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

fart simpson posted:

ipv1-3 were tcpv1-3

also shout out to ipv5, 7, 8, & 9

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ipv6 addresses can be adorbs, for example local services in an aws vpc are prefixed with fd00:ec2, eg dns is fd00:ec2::253 :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

no