Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
In disbelief that a nominally left-wing podcaster who became a tradcath and lied about COVID conspiracy theories made a bad inconsistent movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

There were figures in the Walmart toy isle.

They made a bunch of stuff. Nerf guns, transformers dice, the owl bear, all the characters, a eye guy . It’s just no one really cared and they rotted on the pegs and were quietly discounted. Followed by the animated show

I gotta be honest the stuff about the animated series felt very strange to me. I feel like I am generally aware of most nerd poo poo, for my sins. And I especially have an interest in that Satanic Panic stuff from way back when. I watched Mazes and Monsters years ago. So I should have been aware of this cartoon's existence. But I had never heard of a Dungeons and Dragons animated series before, not ever, not even vaguely. And all of a sudden people are like, oh my god they're doing action figures of the beloved characters from the beloved classic Dungeon and Dragons cartoon and they have a cameo in the movie!

I think it's fake. I think that cartoon never existed, Hasbro made that poo poo up to generate nostalgia.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

in the film they referenced the cartoon costumes so someone cares about

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah I'm not saying no one cares, I'm saying it's fake. They made it up. There was no actual show, just an artificially created nostalgia for a show that never existed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

whatever tickles your pickle

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1750185844219015517

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E: ^^^^^^^ fuqrk it's happening

When I was a kid I was only aware of the cartoon, not the actual game

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i have seen enough: Barbie will not be winning Best Picture

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You might not get the award you want but remember: you're still rich and could never work another day in your life and still be rich

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Guys there was a Dungeons and Dragons streaming channel. Did you know that? Not surprising, absolutely nobody did.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/14/23961054/theres-a-whole-dungeons-dragons-channel-now

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Hashtag inserting herself in the conversation is... gross. Politician's gonna politician.

CelticPredator posted:

Having never seen the cartoon, I noticed and was tickled by those costumes because I assumed it was a nod to larpers or those people throwing tennis fire balls at each other in the woods inspired by dnd. In general tho it felt like the movie acknowledging the inspiration's dorkiness and allowing it to just "be" instead of having someone quip at how dumb their outfit looks.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Guys there was a Dungeons and Dragons streaming channel. Did you know that? Not surprising, absolutely nobody did.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/14/23961054/theres-a-whole-dungeons-dragons-channel-now

They are so, so late to this boat. Poor bastards. Do love to see the people who led the charge on Actual Play get featured on these shows tho. Get that dough.

Also recently watched HouseBound. Went in with too high of expectations built up from a bud. It's fine, but a lot of the bits missed to me.

Please Don't Destroy: The Treasure of Foggy Mountain makes the case that Conan O'Brien should be in more movies playing the straight man. Was also 'ok', felt decent but at no point really grabbed me. The kind of comedy you would see on Comedy Central and keep on in the background as you do other stuff.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 24, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gripweed posted:

Yeah I'm not saying no one cares, I'm saying it's fake. They made it up. There was no actual show, just an artificially created nostalgia for a show that never existed.

The show existed and it's just weird enough not to be fake. It's basically an isekai and there's a dude literally called the Dungeon Master.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ShoogaSlim posted:

when every movie that came out was interconnected to the plot of thanos and his big evil scheme, i could at least be on board with the episodic nature of the movies feeling like big screen prestige tv shows leading to a finale.

now, all the movies talk about having a unifying thread, but they're all just empty one-offs that hint at a multiverse but do the absolute least interesting things with the idea and none of these movies tie into each other at all, so what's the point of keeping up with it all?

That was all the marketing, though. There's no real plot connection between, say, Captain America Winter Soldier and the later films; it was very much an exquisite corpse from the beginning. The narrative of the MCU was largely metatextual, with people tracking production news (casting announcements, corporate partnerships, etc.) and theorycrafting based on sequel teasers. Without that stuff as a supplement, the project collapses back into just a series of mediocre action movies.

Like, what can do with a "multiverse?" Well, obviously, you can have 'alternate versions' of familiar comics characters show up from different 'worlds' and work together to accomplish some goal - like in the last 15 years of MCU. Goofy Thor would teleport in to briefly interact with Iraq War Iron Man. Then, suddenly, in the last couple 'episodes'... we gotta save the entire universe! It's already been done!

In other words, the movies have always been "empty one-offs", but there's now no longer the promise that we'll eventually get to a fireworks factory. The fireworks happened exactly once, as an orgy of blunt fanservice by the directors of Cherry and The Grey Man.

As with Aquaman 2, the individual movies haven't actually gotten any better or worse. A2 actually addressed nearly all of issues I had with the first one, but the advertising around it was downright poisonous.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 24, 2024

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If you were an 80s tween nerd at some point i guarantee you that the D&D cartoon was a big important part of your childhood landscape. The idea that it was fake or wasn't real or had no actual fans is execrably stupid. We're all just old.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Having never seen the cartoon, I noticed and was tickled by those costumes because I assumed it was a nod to larpers or those people throwing tennis fire balls at each other in the woods inspired by dnd. In general tho it felt like the movie acknowledging the inspiration's dorkiness and allowing it to just "be" instead of having someone quip at how dumb their outfit looks.

Yeah, I liked that the reference was just allowed to exist and they didn't really point too much at it.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Somebody please kill me

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That was all the marketing, though. There's no real plot connection between, say, Captain America Winter Soldier and the later films; it was very much an exquisite corpse from the beginning. The narrative of the MCU was largely metatextual, with people tracking production news (casting announcements, corporate partnerships, etc.) and theorycrafting based on sequel teasers. Without that stuff as a supplement, the project collapses back into just a series of mediocre action movies.

Remember when the sequel tease in Guardians of the Galaxy was fuckin Howard the Duck?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Still waiting for Scorpion

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
SMG, what issues did you have with the first Aquaman and how were they addressed in A2?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
random of the day: even though i'm aware that harakiri was a more widely circulated word than seppuku in the west, i still find it silly that the former was the title for the western release while the latter was title of the movie in japan. are there others instances of this happening, where the international title is left untranslated from the original language but it's a different title with a similar meaning compared to the native release?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Coaaab posted:

random of the day: even though i'm aware that harakiri was a more widely circulated word than seppuku in the west, i still find it silly that the former was the title for the western release while the latter was title of the movie in japan. are there others instances of this happening, where the international title is left untranslated from the original language but it's a different title with a similar meaning compared to the native release?

Night of the Demon / Curse of the Demon :v:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I wonder if it happens a lot with biopic titles, like if Ali was released as Muhammad Ali in other countries

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Remember when the sequel tease in Guardians of the Galaxy was fuckin Howard the Duck?

No because it never was

It was just a bit

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I happen to know "The Hangover" is called "Very Bad Trip" in France, still in english. I bet there's a bunch of these

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jay Rust posted:

I happen to know "The Hangover" is called "Very Bad Trip" in France, still in english. I bet there's a bunch of these

That's My Boy featuring Andy Samberg and Adam Sandler.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The 2014 comedy Neighbors was released as Bad Neighbours internationally because there's a long-running Australian soap opera called Neighbours that's pretty well known in Britain and some other European countries and they were worried it could cause confusion. Margot Robbie was on Neighbours for a few years as were Kylie Minogue and Guy Pierce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBFY8vlz6L4

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

That's My Boy featuring Andy Samberg and Adam Sandler.

This is fantastic

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Isn't there a thing on France where there was a popular comedy called "Crazy ____" however many decades ago and now they call like half of the import comedies similar titles now?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

There are a ton, like this doesn’t even scratch the surface

https://www.rd.com/list/movies-hilarious-titles-in-other-countries/

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

There are a ton, like this doesn’t even scratch the surface

https://www.rd.com/list/movies-hilarious-titles-in-other-countries/

Those seem like translations, e.g. i don't think the spanish version of The Dark Knight literally says "The Knight of the Night", in english, on the posters

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

In another thread Light Gun Man suggested I check out Asami's IMDB page, and I think that's the best collection of good movie titles I've ever seen.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

trevorreznik posted:

SMG, what issues did you have with the first Aquaman and how were they addressed in A2?

Aquaman 1 was a troubled production, where they evidently had to make a lot of changes in pre-production and beyond. You can get a sense of the original concept by watching the darn Snyder Cut, where the Aquaman is a bitter alcoholic because of his exile from the land of straightfaced science fantasy. When 'grimdark' became a meme, the studio obviously panicked at the premise of 'bitter alcoholic Aquaman' and consequently tried to 'lighten the tone' through such methods as literally just dialing up the saturation by 50%. The biggest change was, of course, making Aquaman into a wisecracking party doofus who loves beer in a goofy way.

So that probably explains why the actually-released film features reams and reams of shoddy expository dialogue and conspicuously 'punched-up' comedy stuff at the expense of the setting. The nadir, for me, is a shot of Aquaman's 'stats' put up on a jumbotron, where the joke is that they're insulting stats. Jot note "he's smelly", or whatever. It's a joke ripped from the studio cut of Suicide Squad, which was itself ripped from the Guardians Of The Galaxy teaser trailer. Besides it being hack poo poo, why are the Atlanteans writing in English?

Aquaman 2 avoids most of these issues, intentionally or not, by making the villain and his sidekick the protagonists for the first third of the movie. After the extremely lovely pre-titles recap/prologue, you mostly get to watch these dudes go on adventures, battle monsters, do a heist.... Then Patrick Wilson shows up and steals the show. Aquaman pretty much becomes the comic relief of his own movie, and nearly all the jokes stem from him being an rear end in a top hat.

And I mean that in a good way: Jason Momoa sells that role without undercutting anything, and the setting itself is more coherent as a result. Instead of constantly vascillating between dramatic fantasy and wakka-wakka poo poo that undercuts it, Aquaman 2 takes inherently-silly pulp subject matter (robot squids, costumed henchmen, spooky glowing skelingtons, etc.) and consistently presents them as legitimate threats.

Also, because it's very much an Aquaman Part 2, the exposition's mostly out of the way and you can just watch these super-guys do stuff. It suffers as a standalone film but, if you treat the two as a single 5-hour movie (as with the Matrix sequels), the addition of this second half increases the overall quality by like 75%.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched the Aquaman 2 trailers forgetting that Patrick Wilson was in Aquaman 1 so I was like “oh, it’s a new character, Aquaman’s long-lost brother” and it was only when I actually watched the movie I remembered he was literally the villain in the first one

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Aquaman 1 was a troubled production, where they evidently had to make a lot of changes in pre-production and beyond. You can get a sense of the original concept by watching the darn Snyder Cut, where the Aquaman is a bitter alcoholic because of his exile from the land of straightfaced science fantasy. When 'grimdark' became a meme, the studio obviously panicked at the premise of 'bitter alcoholic Aquaman' and consequently tried to 'lighten the tone' through such methods as literally just dialing up the saturation by 50%. The biggest change was, of course, making Aquaman into a wisecracking party doofus who loves beer in a goofy way.

So that probably explains why the actually-released film features reams and reams of shoddy expository dialogue and conspicuously 'punched-up' comedy stuff at the expense of the setting. The nadir, for me, is a shot of Aquaman's 'stats' put up on a jumbotron, where the joke is that they're insulting stats. Jot note "he's smelly", or whatever. It's a joke ripped from the studio cut of Suicide Squad, which was itself ripped from the Guardians Of The Galaxy teaser trailer. Besides it being hack poo poo, why are the Atlanteans writing in English?

Aquaman 2 avoids most of these issues, intentionally or not, by making the villain and his sidekick the protagonists for the first third of the movie. After the extremely lovely pre-titles recap/prologue, you mostly get to watch these dudes go on adventures, battle monsters, do a heist.... Then Patrick Wilson shows up and steals the show. Aquaman pretty much becomes the comic relief of his own movie, and nearly all the jokes stem from him being an rear end in a top hat.

And I mean that in a good way: Jason Momoa sells that role without undercutting anything, and the setting itself is more coherent as a result. Instead of constantly vascillating between dramatic fantasy and wakka-wakka poo poo that undercuts it, Aquaman 2 takes inherently-silly pulp subject matter (robot squids, costumed henchmen, spooky glowing skelingtons, etc.) and consistently presents them as legitimate threats.

Also, because it's very much an Aquaman Part 2, the exposition's mostly out of the way and you can just watch these super-guys do stuff. It suffers as a standalone film but, if you treat the two as a single 5-hour movie (as with the Matrix sequels), the addition of this second half increases the overall quality by like 75%.

I liked the first movie a lot but drat, this makes me wanna watch the second where I had zero interest before due to the shoddy marketing and it's weird place in Inconsequential Limbo.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Well heck, sounds like they have a hidden gem on their hands.

Thanks for the detailed writeup.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So many self-inflicted wounds by WB because they bought into completely fake criticisms. It's the dumbest poo poo since D&D 5e.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I actually thought Aquaman 2 was pretty good. Definitely better than The Flash. I mean, it's not a movie that needed to exist, but it was a nice enough romp through different locations with some pretty good action. Even the decision to pair him with his bland brother villain from the first movie worked out in an emotional way. It has some heart to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Escobarbarian posted:

I watched the Aquaman 2 trailers forgetting that Patrick Wilson was in Aquaman 1 so I was like “oh, it’s a new character, Aquaman’s long-lost brother” and it was only when I actually watched the movie I remembered he was literally the villain in the first one

That’s another thing: Black Manta was a much more interesting villain in Part 1 (no offense to Wilson). He’s a murderous pirate who gives himself superpowers largely through sheer talent, and uses them to get into petty knife-fights. That’s dope! And Part 2 is 100% the Black Manta show.

I also really liked that nobody really refers to him by his codename in Part 2, so it’s like ‘we gotta stop David before he blows up the device’ and so-on. It’s not played as a joke; that’s just his name.

trevorreznik posted:

Well heck, sounds like they have a hidden gem on their hands.

“Hidden gem” might be overstating it a bit but, if you thought Aquaman 1 was okay, the sequel is simply more of that.

The poor response is like entirely backlash against WB after their mistreatment of various artists and a string of annoyingly bad garbage flops. A lot of the people I’ve seen getting upset at Aquaman 2 are upset about stuff that was in the first movie.

Like, ‘Patrick Wilson is tricked into eating a bug because he doesn’t understand Earth food! This is so disrespectful to the characters!!!’ Amber Heard ate a bouquet of roses in the first one. It’s a direct callback, but more interesting because it’s a callback (and actually functions as characterization this time).