Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Agrikk posted:

I told my skip level in an all-team meeting a few weeks back that he’s the reason why nothing is getting accomplished anymore because fear of using the wrong version of his template is paralyzing innovation.

I think a reckoning is coming and I’m not sure how much more of this poo poo I can take before I yell at the wrong person and get myself fired.
/rant

It sounds like you're a straight-shooter with upper management written all over you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'd tell the idiot that you will adhere to the version of the template from when you started on the document. And if he doesn't like it, he can fire you.

gently caress people like that. I refuse to play by their rules.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

New teammate just started and they created a bunch of new columns on our Kanban board that don't make any sense and they didn't discuss it first or really even mention it at all. :allears:

Now there's more columns and they are moving my cards around. So I guess now I have to deal with it. God drat it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

"that's the way we did it at x company"

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Now there's more columns and they are moving my cards around. So I guess now I have to deal with it. God drat it.

Ah I see we've hit the endgame.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Wibla posted:

I'd tell the idiot that you will adhere to the version of the template from when you started on the document. And if he doesn't like it, he can fire you.

gently caress people like that. I refuse to play by their rules.

This. If he complains, ask him how any of the 77 "changes" he wants made affect the actual outcome versus putting everyone perpetually behind the 8 ball. He's the worst kind of excuse for a manager, document all his incompetence & provide it to anyone complaining about deadlines or unhappy customers.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I’ve got a smelly RCA that landed on my desk because my new partner called in our first day working together (sigh)

They want me to get to the root of a currently unsolved ongoing problem

Let me rephrase that. They want me to stop actively working on solving the problem to go push various forms around in a manner hoping that a solution will fall out of the aether

Anyway the CEO is still coming tomorrow, the wastewater plant is still out of commission due to freeze damage last week so we can’t use any water to clean, a section of the new building is still out of commission due to a sprinkler pipe bursting due to freeze damage last week, the contracted cleaning crew pressure washing the front of the building got a cherry picker stuck axles deep in waterlogged turf and it’s still out front like a piece of modern art, and while we did finally pay maste wanagement, we’re still flagged in their system as delinquent and they still haven’t picked up the trash which is now occupying three of my building’s 4 docks.

Wish me luck with that dinner lol

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

I'm open to changing processes if there's good communication around it, but just loving with the tool out of nowhere is one of the quickest ways to get me to stop using the tool.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Same old poo poo: announce a service being deprecated over a year ago, send monthly warnings it's coming, and this month finally announce the hard shutdown date. Get a half dozen angry emails how that's too soon and no one has the ability to migrate that fast.

Well then what the heck you been doing the past year you jokers?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

xzzy posted:

Same old poo poo: announce a service being deprecated over a year ago, send monthly warnings it's coming, and this month finally announce the hard shutdown date. Get a half dozen angry emails how that's too soon and no one has the ability to migrate that fast.

Well then what the heck you been doing the past year you jokers?

We had one of these recently and short circuited the outrage by saying "we're turning this off because it's no longer supported" up front with no timescale and the people that would have waited til the last second started complaining immediately.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All you can do is CYA, let people paid more than you deal with the fallout

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Why would you use Notepad to take and save crucial notes, it's literally the worst option

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
this is why I love notepad++. Even if my PC reboots overnight, my (unsaved, unnamed) notes stay in their tab when I relaunch the app.

This is why I am currently on tab "new 35.txt"

:feelsgood:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Shout out to the org who made me uninstall Notepad++ because it had a "high" severity vuln that could cause it to crash that also required local access that went unpatched for like a month tops.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Agrikk posted:

this is why I love notepad++. Even if my PC reboots overnight, my (unsaved, unnamed) notes stay in their tab when I relaunch the app.

You can even configure it to store the scratch files in a cloud folder and have the exact same notepad tabs on multiple devices (sort of, you have to sync a sessions file and be cautious to close notepad++ often because it only reads that file on startup).

Or just use vscode I guess.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

xzzy posted:

Or just use vscode I guess.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Agrikk posted:

Notepad in Windows 11 now does that too. It's one of a few actual QoL things that MS are trumpeting that is actually useful.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Shout out to the org who made me uninstall Notepad++ because it had a "high" severity vuln that could cause it to crash that also required local access that went unpatched for like a month tops.

Hi5 silly org buddy

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
That notepad++ “vuln” was/is awesome, iirc it is that if someone replaces this windows component used by notepad++ with a malicious version you get an RCE. But that’s kind like saying installing Visual Studio allows arbitrary code execution…

If an attacker has that much access you are already hosed

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah that needs massive air quotes around "vulnerability". If you can go replace arbitrary files under \Program Files\ or \Windows\ then you have already owned the system and could just as well replace kernel32.dll with whatever you want, no need to involve Notepad++.
(Raymond Chen has a very long running blog series about exactly this class of non-vulnerabilities: "It rather involved being on the other side of this airtight hatchway")

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Been sick as gently caress, we're having some rebrand launch or whatever the gently caress and everyone gotta be in the office, sick or not. Hope everyone enjoys getting sick, I guess!!!! (Not covid, just a cold, but still!!!)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Reoxygenation posted:

Been sick as gently caress, we're having some rebrand launch or whatever the gently caress and everyone gotta be in the office, sick or not. Hope everyone enjoys getting sick, I guess!!!! (Not covid, just a cold, but still!!!)

What the actual gently caress? There is no world where you catch me in the office if I feel even the slightest bit ill. I guess the cult must keep on culting (I'm pissing on your company rather than you specifically).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like a great idea to bring a bunch of people together and share illnesses via the medium of blasts of liquid poo poo in the bathrooms, it's great for productivity

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

ChubbyThePhat posted:

What the actual gently caress? There is no world where you catch me in the office if I feel even the slightest bit ill. I guess the cult must keep on culting (I'm pissing on your company rather than you specifically).

It's like a sub 20 people company, and as lovely as that sounds from me, not my loving problem if I get people sick, it's been known that I've been coughing, and no amount of masking is gonna protect them from this!!! It is what it is.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Yeah I've developed a bit of a "gently caress you guys" attitude with respect to getting people in society sick since the pandemic. Especially if they're the employer and they're literally asking for it after being warned that I'm sick and I probably shouldn't come in and they say to come in anyway.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

zokie posted:

That notepad++ “vuln” was/is awesome, iirc it is that if someone replaces this windows component used by notepad++ with a malicious version you get an RCE. But that’s kind like saying installing Visual Studio allows arbitrary code execution…

If an attacker has that much access you are already hosed

BuT iTs A high.!!11!

One of the more maddening battles I've had that I just gave up on here. Not all CVEs are created equal no matter their score.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a degree of logic to the CVSS system that I like, but sometimes you end up just looking at some 5.3 Medium and go "okay but... really?"

Like yesterday when I was told to report a 0.0 "it responds to pings" because there was literally nothing else.

nielsm posted:

Yeah that needs massive air quotes around "vulnerability". If you can go replace arbitrary files under \Program Files\ or \Windows\ then you have already owned the system and could just as well replace kernel32.dll with whatever you want, no need to involve Notepad++.
(Raymond Chen has a very long running blog series about exactly this class of non-vulnerabilities: "It rather involved being on the other side of this airtight hatchway")
Funnily enough being able to replace arbitrary files under \Program Files\ is not that uncommon. That's why all your service paths should be \"Program Files"\ to prevent it being abused. Although if you're letting people create "C:\Program" then you gots other problems anyway.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Agrikk posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who uses it that way

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

my front door has a security vulnerability, there's a latch on the inside that unlocks it when turned

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You should try turning it from the outside sometime. It's pretty fun.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

joebuddah posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who uses it that way

:same:

The only time it sort of backfires for me is if I have to swap to a new user profile and or on a new machine, and copying the AppData\Local folder doesn't always work. So when I relaunch I have a few panicked moments of seeing a blue "new 1" and nothing else.

Isepic
May 7, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

You should try turning it from the outside sometime. It's pretty fun.
You're not wrong.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I love arguing and begging for two straight years that our POS system is buggy garbage and needs to be replaced. Years of documented bugs and failures loving with our inventory management and a complete unwillingness to fix issues by the company we go through. Two to three month turnaround on support tickets and the only response they ever give is “this is a known issue and we are working on it, this ticket has been resolved”. They are not working on it. It is never resolved.

Management was too cheap and too lazy to switch. Constant excuses. “It’s just not in the budget.” “We’ve tried so many systems and they’re all bad.” “The workload is just too heavy to make a big change like this right now.” They’ll do anything to not be inconvenienced. Until the state just came and gave us our annual inspection. Our poo poo software caused dozens of sales failing to report in real time to the state database and cost us almost $50k in fines. And now I’m being told it is absolutely critical that I find us a new POS and complete the switch by the end of next month. I’m thriving as I stroll through the office radiating a smug aura of I told you so.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
“Well fat bossy gerbil, if you knew all this time that the POS system was insufficient, you didn’t do an effective job of notifying us of the risks. of course we would have upgraded our critical POS system if we knew. You should have done a better job of telling us.”

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

fat bossy gerbil posted:

... I’m thriving as I stroll through the office radiating a smug aura of I told you so.

I hope you have :smug: as your M365 profile pic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Isepic posted:

You're not wrong.

I was thinking more Deviant Ollam than The Lockpicking Lawyer, but that is also very fun.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Fyi: There is still DialIn special identity group for windows

######

I hate dotted line hierarchies. My boss wants me to make something in powerApps. A receipt scanner. No big deal.

Apparently what I need will require $20 extra a month extra

I need premium access to power automate. So I can use OCR to read receipts.

I need a premium power apps account to get access to SQL server. So I can push it to tableau . Because top leadership wants tableau.

Only problem is I need to get approval from what I believe is 3 levels.

Power Apps team to Analytics to O365 management.

Additionally I have to have someone create a SQL gateway.

Which involves systems and security team.

I have everything I can finished. Now I have to play the waiting game.

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 1, 2024

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Once again pulled to help with tech support, which would be fine, but a) I hate the dude who oversees tech support, as he is my old boss because b) he micromanages everything, and has the nasty habit to not plan in advance. Which includes not telling me when the only support agent we have is off, until the very moment he needs help. No, I cannot do stuff immediately, I have other things that I had planed or that I am already doing. Stop picking away at me and let me do poo poo, we are wasting time (and I do not like you)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I sure do love being given a technical spec by a PM to implement, completing the task, hearing nothing for a couple of weeks, only for the PM to want me on a call with the client to explain why it was done that way, and how exactly it meets their needs. I have no idea guys, I wasn't involved with the presales and you handed me a spec to deliver, which has been done. Figure it out yourselves, and it had better involve sales being thrown under the bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was told to expect to hear back on a job I interviewed for Monday or Tuesday. I call Tuesday afternoon and the recruiter says to expect to hear something Wednesday. It is Thursday afternoon and I haven't heard anything. I'm not surprised, I'm just disappointed.

E: Got an email, I didn't get it. Yay, I love job hunting.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 1, 2024