Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

BonoMan posted:

I've been out for a long time... what are these NTS units? Little DIY Pocket Operators on steroids? They look fun as hell

The POs are a bit more unique and focused whereas the NTS-1 is a DSP synth and effects device. Its "DIY" in that you screw the case together but there isn't any soldering or anything like that. The synths and effects sound surprisingly good for something this cheap but the current version has a sarcastically lovely keyboard and no sequencer so its pretty much unplayable without a controller. Apparently a lot of people just use it as an effects box? There are user-made DSPs but not actually that many and most of them cost money for some reason. Also you can get a eurorack faceplate conversion kit that costs more than the actual synth lmao. It is a cool little bleep box though and its extremely cheap and def pretty fun to goof around with. The MKII looks like they fixed the biggest issues, so that's pretty cool. I'd probably wait to get that one or get the old one used for super cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I think the NTS-1 was originally intended as a dev kit aimed at people who wanted to get into the logue SDK, but it gained a reputation as one of the cheapest nice reverbs/multi FX and the demands on it have risen; the mkII seems to addressing that.

Kaoss NTS definitely looks neat, makes me want to MIDIfy my wacom.

Meanwhile Yamaha makes a screenless electribe 2.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm excited for a new kaosspad. If it can send midi, and use it as a track pad XY controller, that would be almost exactly what I've been looking for.

I've used the kaosspad emulation in ds-10 on a 3DS, and it can be a lot of fun.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought that thing was way overpriced, but it looks like it is actually an fx box, not just a controller, which makes it a bit more reasonable.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Can someone summarize what the exclusively new things are on the mkII models of the wavestate/opsix/modwave? My limited understanding at the moment is that wavestate mkII has double the voices compared to the first one (now 128, IIRC), and the same sort of upgrade for the opsix mkII (from 32 to 64 voices), which leads me to think it's a platform-wide upgrade that everything built on that platform will share (in some per-product appropriate form). What else is there that's new & exclusive to the mkII models?

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

HerzogZwo posted:

Sonicstate put up a demo vid with this, pretty sweet box.

PWM and waveform modulation possible...Nick Batt makes some funny faces.

I've always wanted a dedicated "drone" synth, but most of the good ones are pretty pricey or DIY. This looks like a really good option atm in terms of price point and features.

Sadly, this will probably not be available until mid-year.

Saw that video earlier and it made it sound a lot more interesting than I expected. Still need to see if the build quality is higher than the average stylophone product. Price wise it's more expensive that something like the decadebridge albers which I'm currently awaiting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QzZjG5n0OE

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
the LZX theme for the week/whatever was "Diamonds"

i figure, if you can't do really awesome video, may as well duct tape some questionable audio to it, and also dad-joke level humor??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubkhuBdtaT8

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://synthanatomy.com/2024/01/gamechanger-audio-mod-series-pedals-cross-guitar-effects-with-modular-synthesis.html

Envisioning people tripping over patch cables

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've been patching noisy mangled drones and just zoning out for fun lately. One thing that struck me during the process is that the disting is good for prompting me to learn about different kinds of modules. Lots of the algorithms make me wonder what I would use it for, and get me curious about different functions, leading me to seek out resources elsewhere, and experiment with functionality I wouldn't have otherwise.

Ie, why would I want a rectifier or delayed trigger generator? Hmmm... let's tinker.

I had a bit of that perusing the doepfer catalog too. Wtf is a phase locked loop? Ooooh. Now that's affordable, AND weird!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

https://www.korg.co.uk/blogs/updates/ps-3300

The only rumor I've seen says $13,000, although that seems a bit low.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gonna look amazing filling in the background scenery of youtube gear reviewers.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Found some seller on reverb who is ALSO trying to feed adsrs into mainbow, and built a bunch of lzx cadet scaler modules and is reselling the extras for $95 shipped

Yoink

Using 2hp trim sorta works but it's glitchy

edit: trying to sell my Taiga for 625 shipped; 650 with a m32 decksaver that basically fits. I can make an SA mart thread but it's barely worth it unless someone here wants it.

I just don't use it, I no longer have desk space for all these semis, and I want more LZX stuff that will fit in rack. Lowest I saw on reverb was 695 shipped.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 23, 2024

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Here's a little self playing patch. Messing with an after later clone of warps, and a Rampage clone
Trying a bit of cobble together a complex oscillator, too much drive on every part of the signal chain (thanks for clipping indicators on my delay).
https://vocaroo.com/1bl7EHY3WoZO

I swear the patches start out clean. I just always seem to get seduced by noise and feedback, and distortion as I build.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

toadee posted:

https://www.korg.co.uk/blogs/updates/ps-3300

The only rumor I've seen says $13,000, although that seems a bit low.

PISS-3300

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yeah that beast has to clock in above $25000, holy poo poo it looks cool.
Anyone have experience with Modal's gear? I want to eventually add like a Cobalt 61 key synth to my rig.-

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
That's Colossus money, which I'd rather any day of the week :science:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Startyde posted:

That's Colossus money, which I'd rather any day of the week :science:

Well, it is a 49 voice synth whereas Colossus is really just kind of one big rear end voice

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Pigments V5 is out - free upgrade to existing customers. Discount on their new sound pack too ($20 down from $90 I think)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1BbqY4tIxU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

toadee posted:

Well, it is a 49 voice synth whereas Colossus is really just kind of one big rear end voice

solar 42 is only $1800! MICROTONAL BRO

BonoMan posted:

Pigments V5 is out - free upgrade to existing customers. Discount on their new sound pack too ($20 down from $90 I think)

and pigments is on sale for $99! tempting but I need that LZX TBC2 at 10x the cost more :smugdog:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Cabbages and Kings posted:

The 3300 is also Microtonal, it has a tuning knob for each oscillator in each voice section (the way it gets 147 oscillators is divide down, so each section has 12 oscillators for a total of 36, which are then divide down’d to cover the other notes. Because of that though, every note in the scale has 3 dedicated oscillators no matter which octave you play it in, so you can fine tune every note easily. And also I’m sure in the 1970s you had to retune it every time you turned it on. Or off. Or touched it. Or looked at it. While you’re at it tune it again ok?)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

NO RETUNE! ONLY DRIFT!
YOU WANT PERFECT? USE COMPUTER

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cabbages and Kings posted:

and pigments is on sale for $99! tempting but I need that LZX TBC2 at 10x the cost more :smugdog:

If you're a new subscriber and have to get it at $99 (which is still a steal) they thrown in the new expansion pack for free.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
this might be the day I finally grab pigments for $50

annoyed I missed the chrimbus sale

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Pigments is probs my fave synth I think. All the actual Arturia vintage emulations etc are cool, as are alternatives such as massive or serum, but something about pigments clicks for me. I think an early Sound In Sound review (around 2.0 era?) referred to it as a "big synth" in terms of covering so many bases and I can't disagree.
Does it do everything? No, but its easy to use and sounds good, for £50 it's a no brainer. It's found it's niche for me as either my bread and butter synth for sketching ideas or my absolute weird poo poo playground, and the new ability to process audio through looks fun.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I would suggest anyone curious about really slick, well put together, soft synths to check out what they've been doing with Surge in VCV.
It's been split up into a collection of modules that all have added functionality to work well together. They've been doing a lot of updates over the past year.
$free too

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I think the main drawback of VCV is how relatively pricey it is for the VST/DAW friendly version- the recorder is handy but a bit faff, however for me it's not worth £150 to bypass that for the VST.
I remember there being some intricate workarounds/mods/alt versions, if these have simplified though that'd be cool.
There's been some dodgy stuff leaked about the lead dev previously (mostly from the Audible Instruments creator) which has sorta put me off giving VCV money a bit too

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The VCV dev is absolutely a jerk but I don't know of anything truly horrific, google around and read the stories and see if it scares you off.

The alternatives are Cardinal Rack for desktops, and if you got a macbook or ipad there's MiRack. Neither are as fleshed out as VCV but they are forks of older versions of VCV so they should feel pretty familiar. Biggest downside is the module libraries are going to be much smaller.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

There’s also softube modular or even reason

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

https://aria.dog/barks/why-i-will-never-create-modules-for-vcv-rack-anymore/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

inferis posted:

There’s also softube modular or even reason

Or for more esoteric options there's sunvox and bespoke.

Or Audulus.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

Honestly as someone who does generative stuff my favorite bit of this is just the ability to have the sequencer re-randomize every X beats/bars. I wish every software sequencer and arpeggiator had this or at least some sort of MIDI-cc-able control that would let you automate it in a DAW.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

BonoMan posted:

Hella cool. I love Arturia. I hope they aren't secret synth hilters.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I think they're French? Which doesn't stop them from becoming obnoxious, it's just a different kind of.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

NonzeroCircle posted:

I think the main drawback of VCV is how relatively pricey it is for the VST/DAW friendly version- the recorder is handy but a bit faff, however for me it's not worth £150 to bypass that for the VST.

once you're modular brained enough you just start thinking of things as percentages of a Metron. Oh, the VCV VST cost me $150? That's hardly anything, it's like 1/5th of a Metron, or 3 days worth of groceries here, somehow :raise:

I barely even use it as a VST but I feel good supporting the thing.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I have a microfreak, their hardware is great too!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Arturia make nice stuff, and I don't think there is any evidence that they are secret synth hitlers (yet).

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I have regressed selling my Microbrute since the moment I did it. Arturia is, as far as I know, great.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I have a microfreak, their hardware is great too!

Oh I know, I have a keystep, keylab pro, and a minifreak. They're all really good and cool.

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

I think they're French?

Concerning

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Since this seems to be where we talk about analog video gear I thought I’d share that I got a Mismatcher Delux today and it is cool. Highly recommend, but the pack of 6 patch cables is not quite enough IMO.
I also got the Wiper expansion. Between this thing and my Waaave Pool I think I’ve got a pretty solid analog look. Might even try to downsize or circuit bend the V4.
https://youtu.be/0vTwt8RSszk?si=T868LhqwMXE62h-V

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
Looks like the EP–133 K.O. II are available through the TE website again...

Did anyone here get that yet? Would you recommend over the 404 mk2?