Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Best Far Cry is Far Cry 2.

I like the little things like having to pull out an actual map that doesn't pause the game if you're lost and all your guns being heaps of junk prone to misfires and jams.

Nothing beats sneaking up to an enemy camp with an RPG ready to absolutely devastate them only to have the rocket unceremoniously plonk down at your feet like an overly fibrous turd and exploding in your face. Except for maybe the RPG actually working but the backblast setting the high grass your hiding in on fire burning you to death as the brushfire rapidly spreads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
One thing I will give the far cry games credit for is having proper co-op that isn't linked to any psuedo-MMO stuff. You can just play the game, with a friend.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

FreudianSlippers posted:

Best Far Cry is Far Cry 2.

Far Cry 2 is the best game in the series, though not the most enjoyable to play.

I never played Crysis 2 or 3. Are they any good?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

bawk posted:

Merfolk content ain't even in the game yet!

What do you mean by merfolk content? Because I did a few basic quests for them and got the ability to turn into one of them from Legally Distinct Ursula the Sea Witch.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

credburn posted:

Far Cry 2 is the best game in the series, though not the most enjoyable to play.

They're much more linear focused shooters than I recall Crysis 1 being, with the tradeoff being they weren't nearly as frustrating as Crysis 1 could be at times. I also felt like the nanosuit control was smoother but honestly both that and the frustration could just be due to the fact I was no longer a really stupid teenager playing 2 and 3 but instead only a regular stupid young adult. :v: I had a fair bit of fun with them for what it's worth, but not enough to buy em off any kind of deep discount sale or such.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Roblo posted:

One thing I will give the far cry games credit for is having proper co-op that isn't linked to any psuedo-MMO stuff. You can just play the game, with a friend.

I wish all of them let you do the full game co-op. If I recall the "co-op" in 3 and 4 was a friend could join you for side missions but not main story ones.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
The ending of Turnip Boy Robs A Bank.

It's a short twinstick roguelite; the final run entails fighting all four bosses in the four corners of the bank under a time limit. By this point you know the bank layout and have just been given an overpowered gun, so this is easier than you might think and takes only a few minutes.

In the finale, you have to do another full circuit of the now semi-destroyed bank to reach the four boss rooms again (though you don't have to re-refight the bosses, and the timer is gone). However the bank's repopulated with enemies with tweaked attack patterns who deal more damage. Also there's a giant invincible enemy flying around attacking you that becomes more aggressive after you reach each corner. ALSO, there is now less room to maneuver and clearing rubble is slowing you down, and the invincible enemy's attacks do a full heart of damage, even on the "casual" difficulty level. You have six hearts.

If you die, you have to do it all over from the beginning. Even knowing the fastest path to all four corners and having an overpowered weapon, it still takes 3-4 minutes just to reach the finale. I think I spent an hour on this; the whole game is only about 6 hours long.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I NEED A MEDIC BAG

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

bossy lady posted:

I wish all of them let you do the full game co-op. If I recall the "co-op" in 3 and 4 was a friend could join you for side missions but not main story ones.

3's co-op was an entirely separate L4D-esque mode. 4 had mostly-unrestricted co-op but I think you had to reach a certain point to access it and there may have been other quirks.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The ending of Far Cry 5 is so bad I swore off the series entirely. It made me physically angry.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I loved the Far Cry games I've played but tonally they're all over the fuckin' place. Like in 3 it's pretty clear that you're not actually playing as a hero and your character is a loving moron for thinking otherwise, and I think that applied to the older titles as well? Five has the vibe almost inverted, because you can immediately see how hosed up the cult is and it's literally your job to go in and investigate, which makes the ending's rug-pull even worse.

Six reverses course and you play as a native of a super oppressed country who is finally attempting to escape and all of her friends and a bunch of other refugees get murdered in front of her by Gustavo Fring. It's an extremely serious setup with the player character having literally every reason in the world to be more invested than some random college kid whose spring break trip went horribly loving wrong.

...then half an hour later you're wearing a hardhat that lets you reload your gun faster for some reason and attacking tanks with your magic firework-shooting backpack held together by duct tape, caution tape, and the frailty of dreams while your giant blinged-out chicken kicks soldiers in the nuts and eats their faces. I mean, don't get me wrong, the latter is a lot of fun gameplay-wise (except the hardhat, the gear system in FC6 is shitgarbage), it's just a really jarring tonal shift that the other ones I've played haven't really suffered from to nearly the same extent.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Presto posted:

The ending of Far Cry 5 is so bad I swore off the series entirely. It made me physically angry.

I refused to deal with that ending, so I played the game until the cult was reduced to a single building and stopped playing. In my Far Cry 5 world, everyone in the region is rebuilding society and the cult is irrelevant.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

kazil posted:

you are confused, OP was talking about Darksiders 2

I am confused. There are too loving many games that can be called "DS2"

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nuebot posted:

I am confused. There are too loving many games that can be called "DS2"
I'm mad rear end Creed became AC, when Armored Core is the real AC game series.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rockman Reserve posted:

I loved the Far Cry games I've played but tonally they're all over the fuckin' place. Like in 3 it's pretty clear that you're not actually playing as a hero and your character is a loving moron for thinking otherwise, and I think that applied to the older titles as well? Five has the vibe almost inverted, because you can immediately see how hosed up the cult is and it's literally your job to go in and investigate, which makes the ending's rug-pull even worse.

Six reverses course and you play as a native of a super oppressed country who is finally attempting to escape and all of her friends and a bunch of other refugees get murdered in front of her by Gustavo Fring. It's an extremely serious setup with the player character having literally every reason in the world to be more invested than some random college kid whose spring break trip went horribly loving wrong.

...then half an hour later you're wearing a hardhat that lets you reload your gun faster for some reason and attacking tanks with your magic firework-shooting backpack held together by duct tape, caution tape, and the frailty of dreams while your giant blinged-out chicken kicks soldiers in the nuts and eats their faces. I mean, don't get me wrong, the latter is a lot of fun gameplay-wise (except the hardhat, the gear system in FC6 is shitgarbage), it's just a really jarring tonal shift that the other ones I've played haven't really suffered from to nearly the same extent.

I'm convinced Ubisoft decided at some point that Farcry was now going to be their take on Saints Row.

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm mad rear end Creed became AC, when Armored Core is the real AC game series.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Assmeredal Crorssing

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I'm aware this makes me a piss baby idiot but Far Cry 5 was the exact opposite of a story i needed to hear in 2018 post Trump. Game sucked rear end

The crazy militia people win was not a fantasy i wanted to live in at the time because it was reality

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Asheron is Calling and wants its acronym back since it had it first

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

credburn posted:

Asheron is Calling and wants its acronym back since it had it first

someone asked me the other day if i knew how to import skins for SC2 and I was like "hell yeah let's get Link in those dresses" and they were like "what are you talking about i mean Starcraft 2" and I was immensely disappointed

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

credburn posted:

2 is really fun, just a big dumb action movie

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lunar Suite posted:

What do you mean by merfolk content? Because I did a few basic quests for them and got the ability to turn into one of them from Legally Distinct Ursula the Sea Witch.

the roadmap shows there's currently no merfolk main storyline (rebuilding the merfolk kingdom a la "let's get the town rating higher" on the mainland), no merfolk character storylines, no merfolk heart events/romance options, no merfolk festivals, and no underwater ranching/farming.

Which, OK, that's fair, that's a lot of poo poo to have in the game, but when your whole gimmick is "Stardew Valley but with a big underwater ocean map + merfolk" then it's lame as gently caress to promote your 1.0 release on Steam without it. It's just a second round of Early Access, but with a higher price tag and no "Early Access" banner on the Steam page/Steam tags.

I ended up just reinstalling Stardew Valley with like 20 mods, because I never did play this game with mods. Some of them are QOL things that Coral Island ended up doing better (better Shipping Container is the biggest standout here but that definitely feels like a popular mod that other games have cribbed) as well as some "expansion pack" style mods (there's a Ridgeside Village mod which is pretty cool/has a lot of extra stuff) and it's basically a whole new game after going from 1.0 -> 1.6. Which is about how long I feel like I'm going to have to wait to get Coral Island as I pictured it being at their 1.0 release.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

I'm aware this makes me a piss baby idiot but Far Cry 5 was the exact opposite of a story i needed to hear in 2018 post Trump. Game sucked rear end

The crazy militia people win was not a fantasy i wanted to live in at the time because it was reality

Almost as cruel as Capcom releasing this in the middle of the pandemic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Qj6DArQOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

credburn posted:

FC2 proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would be a mangled corpse intertwined with the wreck of my car if not for turn by turn navigation.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

youknowthatoneguy posted:

How about one of the biggest things dragging games down is that Capcom for some reason has seen fit to not bless us with Breath of Fire re-releases for well over a decade.

Ain't that the truth. Just leaving money on the table, and more importantly, leaving a great series that everyone loves on the table.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

2 is really fun, just a big dumb action movie

2 was great because Crytek finally managed to have their jumpy rear end later game enemies without making them a pain to fight like the Trigens or Crysis 1 aliens. They were easier to hit and actually had things that were more effective on them than other enemies so it didn’t feel like complete bullshit.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Its still amazing to me that Far Cry 2 had a gigantic custom map builder for multiplayer on the console version.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
It was a left over from Instincts.
It was a cool editor.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

ZeusCannon posted:

I will join your piss baby idiot club.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It reminds me of the opposite reaction that the third Bill and Ted movie had because it had been a poo poo year and was so cozy that everyone was like "It's not the best bill and ted movie, but it was exactly what I needed right now."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Presto posted:

I will join your piss baby idiot club.

Please, it's called the Something Awful forums

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Spider-Man 2 for the Playstation 5: It's neat that the added level of detail lets you see the interiors of some buildings, but sometimes you get duplicated rooms right next to each other.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mamkute posted:

Spider-Man 2 for the Playstation 5: It's neat that the added level of detail lets you see the interiors of some buildings, but sometimes you get duplicated rooms right next to each other.

That, plus some occasionally questionable interior design, where the templates don't quite match the building's layout. It's all visually great on a large scale, just don't slow down and look at things too closely.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mamkute posted:

Peeping Tom here has never heard of a hotel!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Cyberpunk 2077 Why can I not have cosmetic robot arms and legs? Yes, I can have functional robot arms in 4 different flavors, but they all look basically like human arms with weird tattoos. And yes, not only am I usually wearing long sleeves, and even more to the point, opportunities where I can see my full character model in action are close to 0. But in a game engine, with a city where about 1 of every 4 pedestrians is someone rocking a homeless Johnny Silverhand look, and the tag along character, who lives in our head, is named Johnny freakin Silverhand, why can I not have a terminator arm?

It's not like I'm playing a game about pirates in the 1600's and looking for a future robot arm. I'm in a world where replacing broken (or even perfectly functioning human arms) with tricked our robot appendages is a solved problem. It's part of the setting.

I understand that it would probably cause graphical issues if you couldn't have 'skin' covering the cyberparts. It's minor, it's silly, it doesn't affect gameplay in the slightest, but it just seems weird, right?

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

ZeusCannon posted:

When far cry 5 ended I thought I did something to get a bad ending. I couldn't believe that's how they decided to let that story play out.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bossy lady posted:

When far cry 5 ended I thought I did something to get a bad ending. I couldn't believe that's how they decided to let that story play out.

Pookah posted:

I refused to deal with that ending, so I played the game until the cult was reduced to a single building and stopped playing. In my Far Cry 5 world, everyone in the region is rebuilding society and the cult is irrelevant.

:colbert:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Isn't that the basis of New Dawn though?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Randalor posted:

Isn't that the basis of New Dawn though?

New Dawn is just alt-history to me, a fun "what if?" thought exercise.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I didn't get super far in New Dawn but if it lets you shoot Seed in the face at some point, that will be an improvement for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

I didn't get super far in New Dawn but if it lets you shoot Seed in the face at some point, that will be an improvement for sure

e: nope i was completely wrong looking it up. yes you can

Arivia has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Jan 24, 2024