Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I would hope a puerto rican candidate would,if so challenged, question the eligibility to serve of every US president before Van Buren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

DarkHorse posted:

McCain didn't matter because his parents were already American though, right?

Like, a kid born in Germany to U.S. citizens is still a natural-born U.S. citizen (assuming the paperwork is filed, etc.)

Doing a little more research, the Canal Zone was a strange beast, especially when it came to citizenship. So much so apparently, Congress passed legislation codifying citizenship for Zoners in 1937. McCain was born in.....1936. This issue cropped up again during the 2008 election, so the Senate passed a resolution specifically recognizing McCain's natural born citizenship and eligibility for the presidency so people would knock it the gently caress off with the citizenship crap. Of course a half dozen years later Trump started up his birther poo poo and well half the country thinks Obama was born in Kenya now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

shame on an IGA posted:

I would hope a puerto rican candidate would,if so challenged, question the eligibility to serve of every US president before Van Buren

Unfortunately the Constitution does explicitly say that citizens of the colonies before the formation of the US are eligible to be president

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

shame on an IGA posted:

There's an explicit carve out in the constitution that allows anyone alive in the United States that accepts citizenship when the constitution is ratified to be eligible to be President.

England really missed their chance to have King George's nephew declare residency in Virginia the night before.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Comedy ruling: Natural-born means those who were pushed out of their momma. If you were delivered via c-section, tough titties.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ms Adequate posted:

Comedy ruling: Natural-born means those who were pushed out of their momma. If you were delivered via c-section, tough titties.

The only citation in the brief is the Cliffnotes version of Macbeth.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Extraction babies very obviously don’t count

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ms Adequate posted:

C-sections didn't become an accepted medical procedure until the 1870's and didn't become widespread until modern C-section techniques were introduced in the 1960's.

Therefore, an originalist reading of the constitution precludes the possibility that the founders were referring to induced births when defining "natural-born" in Article II.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Natural-born means non-GMO.

Trump should have been disqualified because his morher touched the mutagenic ooze under Manhattan when he was in utero

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Papercut posted:

The taxes on it are absurd, it's like 25%-40% just for the convenience of walking into a store front. Basically every time you order online, the delivery person gives you their personal contact info so you can just buy from them directly instead of paying the taxes.

Speaking as a California Living Weed Enjoyer yeah it's 100% this.

Other states are making bank on legal weed sales but Cali is being stupid as gently caress. Why would you pay more for the same leaf?

Being able to use your card as a work-around(they basically withdraw money and give you change) is the only convenience.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is the tax in other states (much) lower?

e: nitpicking /complaining about the Enshittification/blogificationof the internet, god drat why do websites have to give me a sentence of two about tax %es, i just want a 1D array with states and numbers.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 24, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Well, in NC since there's no specific, comprehensive state law about it the only applicable tax is standard 7.5% sales tax. I assume the same is the case in other states where the federal loophole is being exploited.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PhazonLink posted:

is the tax in other states (much) lower?

According to this, California is actually in the middle.

https://usafacts.org/articles/how-much-revenue-do-states-make-from-marijuana-taxes/

The average is about a 15-20% excise tax (California is 15%) + sometimes an additional state sales tax.

It gets as low as 6% (Missouri) and as high as 37% (Washington State).

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 24, 2024

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
OR tax is 20%.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

According to this, California is actually in the middle.

https://usafacts.org/articles/how-much-revenue-do-states-make-from-marijuana-taxes/

The average is about a 15-20% excise tax (California is 15%) + sometimes an additional state sales tax.

It gets as low as 6% (Missouri) and as high as 37% (Washington State).

idk how accurate that chart is, California it's 15% excise tax PLUS the 7.25% state sales tax, plus whatever city/county taxes your local area also chooses to add.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...
traveled recently to CA and was surprised how much cheaper it is than the medical use stuff in MN.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/status/1750236594517553574

dewitt resigned. Lakes gonna implode that party.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Man, is this why you don't try to openly bribe hostile politicians?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
What could be more damaging than that?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hard to imagine what would be a more damaging recording, unless they were talking about committing crimes unrelated to politics.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Eric Cantonese posted:

Yeah I really hope the second recording gets out anyway

e: it's a video of Dewit waving around a bulging burlap sack with a dollar sign on it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sinn Fein makes it official:

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1750234913465307147

Somehow the RNC is trying to spin this

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1750237043131564233

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

haveblue posted:

Yeah I really hope the second recording gets out anyway

e: it's a video of Dewit waving around a bulging burlap sack with a dollar sign on it

Whilst saying this is a bribe. This is the bag of money I'm bribing you with. It contains X dollars. Isn't X dollars a very large and acceptable bribe? Bribe.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Kalli posted:

This has happened at a few of Biden's previous stops, but the protesters are getting better organized. In this current one, protesters are taking turns interrupting Biden. (later tweets have each additional person, up to 13).

https://twitter.com/ReedReports/status/1749915431031472146

The Roe backdrop is also like the clear focus of the Biden re-election strategy, and imo pairs nicely with this clip from face the nation a few days back with a voter:

https://twitter.com/umichvoter/status/1749199308610556129

There's no point in even arguing with these people, they know how to reach these disaffected voters (Joe Biden stops helping commit genocide), but they know that won't happen so they pretend to be confused.

But it's really, really great that the go-to chant to people protesting a genocide is "FOUR MORE YEARS!!!"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

Saying some negative poo poo about Trump.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

C-sections didn't become an accepted medical procedure until the 1870's and didn't become widespread until modern C-section techniques were introduced in the 1960's.

Therefore, an originalist reading of the constitution precludes the possibility that the founders were referring to induced births when defining "natural-born" in Article II.

Well now hang on, how come they're called c-sections then? :thunk: Yer man Caeser wasn't born in the 1870s or later!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So the insurance desert problem isn't limited to red states on the Gulf coast

https://twitter.com/sfstandard/status/1749984121722388934

quote:

According to data provided by the California Department of Insurance, the company ranks as the 15th largest active insurer in the state across all of its business lines.

With its decision, the Hartford joins a growing list of private insurers, including State Farm, Allstate, Farmers Insurance and USAA, that have decided to stop writing new policies for homeowners or leave the state entirely.

The insurance industry has argued that increased liability due in large part to increasing wildfire risk has run into an outdated regulatory system.

CA seems really poorly governed, I wonder if this is a problem in all single-party-dominated states. If the ruling party doesn't feel at risk from the opposition, the party turns inward.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1750250252349669453

The Ohio legislature overrode DeWine's veto, sadly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The state of CA should have taken control of PG&E instead of keeping it alive as a dying private entity

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nervous posted:

Whilst saying this is a bribe. This is the bag of money I'm bribing you with. It contains X dollars. Isn't X dollars a very large and acceptable bribe? Bribe.

"I am giving you this bag of money to incentivize you to perform acts which you otherwise would not, which is a crime. I am committing this crime, bribery, with the intent to influence the political process. Please commit crimes because I gave you this bag of money, an act which I am aware is itself a crime."

*much later*

"The Democrat witch hunt is taking what I said out of context and distorting what I really meant"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A few days ago a post was made on an aviation insider news site setting forth a trail of bureaucratic and procedural failures that led to an Alaska Airlines 737 MAX's door panel falling off mid-flight two weeks ago. The post was made by an anonymous user who was upfront about their lack of credibility, but the post's contents have now been verified by the Seattle Times (without identifying the poster).

quote:

The fuselage panel that blew off an Alaska Airlines jet earlier this month was removed for repair then reinstalled improperly by Boeing mechanics on the Renton final assembly line, a person familiar with the details of the work told The Seattle Times.

If verified by the National Transportation Safety Board investigation, this would leave Boeing primarily at fault for the accident, rather than its supplier Spirit AeroSystems, which originally installed the panel into the 737 MAX 9 fuselage in Wichita, Kan.

That panel, a door plug used to seal a hole in the fuselage sometimes used to accommodate an emergency exit, blew out of Alaska Airlines Flight 1282 as it climbed out of Portland on Jan. 5. The hair-raising incident drew fresh and sharp criticism of Boeing’s quality control systems and safety culture, which has been under the microscope since two fatal 737 MAX crashes five years ago.

quote:

However, the details provided about the manufacturing process failures that led to the door plug blowout appear authentic and authoritative. The Seattle Times confirmed with a Renton mechanic and a former 737 MAX production line manager that the whistleblower’s description of how this kind of rework is performed and by whom is accurate.

The Times also confirmed that the whistleblower accurately described the computer systems Boeing uses to record and track 737 assembly work, systems that mechanics and engineers sign into every day when they begin work.

The whistleblower outlines how, because of a mistake, the removal and re-installation of the door plug in Renton was never entered in the computer system where every detail of the build process on each individual aircraft is recorded. As a result, no quality inspection was triggered.

The original post presents an extensive and detailed narrative about how Boeing's complex sign-off and accountability procedures failed to track a basic repair job across overlapping areas of responsibility. It lays ultimate blame at the feet of executives who have ruined the company's culture of safety over the years since it merged with McDonnell-Douglas.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I love him saying there's more poo poo out there. I get the play, he's trying to make it seem like anything else is as manipulated as he claims this is and by mentioning it in advance himself he hopes to make that claim stick. But given that there is not a soul on Earth who believes what he's saying, he literally just revealed there's even worse stuff in the process of, he claims, trying to avoid revealing that stuff.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ms Adequate posted:

Well now hang on, how come they're called c-sections then? :thunk: Yer man Caeser wasn't born in the 1870s or later!
Yes, but until then the relevant legal classification was "not of woman born, but from his mother's womb untimely ripp'd".

(No, not really.)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jaxyon posted:

Speaking as a California Living Weed Enjoyer yeah it's 100% this.

Other states are making bank on legal weed sales but Cali is being stupid as gently caress. Why would you pay more for the same leaf?

Being able to use your card as a work-around(they basically withdraw money and give you change) is the only convenience.

WA weed is a total buyers market with the exception of edibles which are expensive as gently caress, but anecdotally I have seen very few weed stores close and they have become more common than Starbucks

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

FlamingLiberal posted:

The state of CA should have taken control of PG&E instead of keeping it alive as a dying private entity

now they're too busy giving PGE the greenlight to jack up rates as high as they want

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Levitate posted:

now they're too busy giving PGE the greenlight to jack up rates as high as they want

And that's why we need Gavin Newsome in the White House in 2028.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Ceasefire for VEEP.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

CA seems really poorly governed, I wonder if this is a problem in all single-party-dominated states. If the ruling party doesn't feel at risk from the opposition, the party turns inward.
I think there are plenty of well-run Democrat dominated states. New York has similar problems to California so it might be more of a “large state” than “one party” problem.

Texas and Florida are governed poorly on purpose so they’re difficult to account for.

Nucleic Acids posted:

And that's why we need Gavin Newsome in the White House in 2028.
I can’t say how much blame Newsom bears; obviously Californian dysfunction wasn’t in invented five years ago. I’d be interested in what Cali goons have to say. But I am quite sure we can do better than that, anyway.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Misunderstood posted:

I can’t say how much blame Newsom bears; obviously Californian dysfunction wasn’t in invented five years ago. I’d be interested in what Cali goons have to say. But I am quite sure we can do better than that, anyway.

this. its also gonna be a pretty big field of canidates and a lot of actually decent/good ones too. i dont think newsome gets it but who knows. harris i dont think gets it either.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

zoux posted:

So the insurance desert problem isn't limited to red states on the Gulf coast

https://twitter.com/sfstandard/status/1749984121722388934

The "outdated regulatory system" insurers are complaining about was imposed by a ballot initiative, passed directly by the voters and added directly into the state constitution.

The insurance commissioner who oversees the system is elected, too. I can't really blame a directly-elected official for refusing insurers' requests to raise rates by 25% or more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Misunderstood posted:

I think there are plenty of well-run Democrat dominated states. New York has similar problems to California so it might be more of a “large state” than “one party” problem.

Texas and Florida are governed poorly on purpose so they’re difficult to account for.

New York only recently managed to break past a faction of conservatives who ran as Democrats and kept enough control in the legislature to block a lot of mainstream party goals. There's also been a stretch of pretty dismal governors.