Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nobody Interesting posted:

It's the CDC and only one person is wearing a mask

Everyone else is probably healthy or vaccinated or probably both. Unless you're immunocompromised or symptomatic (and if you are, stay the gently caress home) there's not much benefit to wearing a mask these days if you're just out and about (excluding the obvious like hospital visits or the airport). Y'all are being weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

*taps the title*

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gbut posted:

*taps the title*

Ideally the idiocy should come from outside the thread.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Masking forever because people are disgusting.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Byzantine posted:

This is the true path.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think you're missing the point that some normie liberals said they liked Barbie so you have to criticize it to signal that you're a comrade. Nothing on earth matters as much as signalling your communist leanings on the internet.

I'm not even doing leftist analysis, this is gender studies 101 critique op

Kinda funny to get accused of virtue signaling in 2024 tho

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Everyone else is probably healthy or vaccinated or probably both. Unless you're immunocompromised or symptomatic (and if you are, stay the gently caress home) there's not much benefit to wearing a mask these days if you're just out and about (excluding the obvious like hospital visits or the airport). Y'all are being weird.

In a group that large there is no way only one person is carrying something gross, and the expectation is that the Centre for Disease Control would know about controlling diseases.

Being balls deep in vax helps a lot but you bet I'm still wearing a mask when I get the bad sniffles. The only reason I don't normally is because I work on a university campus where no one else is, so if the gross isn't coming out of my mouth it's coming out of someone.

Either way, CDC getting together for a group hug is the idiot.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Byzantine posted:

Yeah masking is just Good. We nearly didn't have a flu season in 2020 because it turns out doing anything at all for disease spread reduction is really cool and good

Too bad COVID IS OVER and I guess the immunocompromised can just eat poo poo tho

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think you're missing the point that some normie liberals said they liked Barbie so you have to criticize it to signal that you're a comrade. Nothing on earth matters as much as signalling your communist leanings on the internet.

https://twitter.com/bryanbehar/status/1750023407276859546

this you?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

God forbid the cdc try to set a good example wrt wearing masks

Byzantine posted:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Push El Burrito posted:

Barbie is a good movie. I liked when Barbie met the old lady.

The old lady was a piece of poo poo and the movie launders her reputation by making it a throwaway line

endocriminologist posted:

barbie is a trans woman and ken is a chaser

Much to consider and I wish I was assigned no-genitals-at-birth

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Okay accusing someone of being a communist for basic a basic feminist reading of a movie fits this thread extremely well

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

No. I never saw Barbie. I haven't seen any movies in years. The idea of paying attention to one single thing for 90+ minutes feels like torture to me at this point. I have to break TNG reruns into two sessions. Edit: Oh actually I saw one kinda recently where Denzel is like, an old man that takes revenge on bad people. It kinda strained credulity that a 65 year old would be able to karate so many people that easily. But yeah I'm not a movie guy.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Okay accusing someone of being a communist for basic a basic feminist reading of a movie fits this thread extremely well

'Accusing' indicates I think it's bad. Tokin has openly identified as such itt. I'm not sure if I'm a communist or an anarchist because I can't sit still long enough to read any of the books that would help me decide that, but I'm not anti-communist or anything.

Hellblazer187 has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Jan 24, 2024

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Does the movie address Ken's flat groin

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Please spoil it I am a manly man I cannot watch a pink movie about a girl's toy!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Please spoil it I am a manly man I cannot watch a pink movie about a girl's toy!!

Apparently Hilary became president

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Ideally the idiocy should come from outside the thread.

Be the change you want to see in this world.

Masking is great. Especially during, idunno, an ongoing global pandemic or a season of elevated viral activity and stuff? It’s so good that I’m even going to echo tokin’s sentiment about not getting sick with anything for the longest period of time in my entire life, all due to vigilant masking.

But, let me stop derailing with this anecdata.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Does the movie address Ken's flat groin

No, he hangs glorious cock for all to enjoy.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i give you about three years until the egg cracks +/- 6 months, you'll be able to watch it later

CharlestheHammer posted:

i mean I am a postmodern neo marxist, and believe in ruthless cancellation of all that exists, ruthless both in the sense of not being afraid of the results it arrives at and in the sense of being just as little afraid of conflict with the powers that be.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

No, he hangs glorious cock for all to enjoy.

some might even say he's hung like a horse

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

gbut posted:

*taps the title*

If you're seeing buttholes, turn on your monitor.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I like Barbie but I thought that it was constrained by being a Barbie movie and wasn't able to go as far in its message as it should have. The feminist message felt very basic, almost retro and has been done many times before. Lisa Vs Malibu Stacey has the same essential "message" but does it in 25 minutes.

The Barbie world being presented as "perfect" raises quite a few questions IMO. Why is the prefect world completely sexless? If they don't have genitals in Barbie world then why are they all in heterosexual relationships? Why are they in relationships at all when most of them seem to not even know what it means? It's very odd.

Why was the Mattel boardroom even in the movie? They have a few good jokes but the first joke is that they're all men and making decisions for women, but by the end they're... Still a bunch of men making decisions for women and haven't changed or grown or learned anything from their storyline.

While it was a fun movie, I think it being an adaptation of a toyline kept it from being as good as it could have been.

Improbable Lobster has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Jan 24, 2024

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

You're just outright wrong

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Barbie world being presented as "perfect" raises quite a few questions IMO. Why is the prefect world completely sexless? If they don't have genitals in Barbie world then why are they all in heterosexual relationships? Why are they in relationships at all when most of them seem to not even know what it means? It's very odd.

Because that's how they are presented by the marketing department - Barbie and Ken are portrayed as a heterosexual relationship despite having no sexual characteristics, so they playact a heterosexual relationship but do not understand the point of it. The Barbie World and the Real World influence each other - a change to one affects the other, so if some executive decides that Barbie and Ken are canonically a couple, then they are even if they are aware that it doesn't make sense.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I like Barbie but I thought that it was constrained by being a Barbie movie and wasn't able to go as far in its message as it should have. The feminist message felt very basic, almost retro and has been done many times before. Lisa Vs Malibu Stacey has the same essential "message" but does it in 25 minutes.

Why was the Mattel boardroom even in the movie? They have a few good jokes but the first joke is that they're all men and making decisions for women, but by the end they're... Still a bunch of men making decisions for women and haven't changed or grown or learned anything from their storyline.

While it was a fun movie, I think it being an adaptation of a toyline kept it from being as good as it could have been.

Yeah, if you get down to it this is what actually annoyed me most as ~the barbie movie~ - it was sold as some subversive genius feminism that would wokify schoolchildren into hating america, and the actual movie are out of date, extremely basic, and something dozens of other works have done better - and people's hostility to pointing out the many places it fails at even 1990's era feminist analysis, let alone the hyperadvanced space feminism of the current day, only makes it more annoying. Don't cum in my cereal and call it vegan milk substitute.

You're just outright wrong

VVG is okay with writing off immunocompromised people from existing in public because masking is too hard, boo hoo.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The Barbie people exist as a psychic gestalt who manifest the dreams and anxieties of the children who play with the toys their avatars represent. The heteronormativity is just an extension of the perception of gender a little kid has, which is why it's so sexless.

And even still, outliers exist there-Magic Earring Ken, Sugar Daddy Ken and Alan for example.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel like calling the movie basic is just the go to retort when ultimately your criticism s are pretty shallow but you got to say something

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

gbut posted:

Be the change you want to see in this world.

Masking is great. Especially during, idunno, an ongoing global pandemic or a season of elevated viral activity and stuff? It’s so good that I’m even going to echo tokin’s sentiment about not getting sick with anything for the longest period of time in my entire life, all due to vigilant masking.

But, let me stop derailing with this anecdata.

Jeez, just inject yourself with horse paste like a normal person.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Her follow up explains a lot.
https://twitter.com/megantheevalium/status/1750002699410534668?t=CrT9zZfuPsV6ttmSH5IMUQ&s=19
The responses make me fear we are pretty much looping right back to warehousing the disabled so they don't make us uncomfortable with their existence. It's very similar to the mockery that woman got who was almost beaten to death by a student because she didn't want him to spend the rest of his life in prison for attacking her.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

tag urself, I'm the wire coming out of the keypad of the calculator

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think extermination rhetoric of marginalized people is probably something we should avoid posting in here even if they are technically idiots on social media.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Panfilo posted:

perception of gender a little kid has, which is why it's so sexless.

And even still, outliers exist there-Magic Earring Ken, Sugar Daddy Ken and Alan for example.

As a little kid, I knew that people could be homosexual and/or transgender, because I am both.

Also they removed Magic Earring Ken's cockring

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shorts?4Hw51y6d0SU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like calling the movie basic is just the go to retort when ultimately your criticism s are pretty shallow but you got to say something

It didn't go far enough is the thing

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

wow AI slop my favourite

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

It's ridiculous because everyone knows real programming happens in nano

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

tokin opposition posted:

It's ridiculous because everyone knows real programming happens in nano

This but with "pico" as an alias

Fingers will twitch in that cadence long after I'm buried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Real programming happens in thigh socks.