Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

whaley posted:

did D stand for anything in any of the D games? i oughta try those things finally

In the first game, yes. The second one is just an artifact title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The original Japanese title is "D's Dining Table" where the identity of D is a major twist

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
D2's title makes about as much sense as the rest of the game

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
D and D2 have nothing to do with D4 right?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Strawberry Panda posted:

D and D2 have nothing to do with D4 right?

The swery episodic game that died almost immediately? No.

Also no relation to the hip hop group D12.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Sam Barlow needs to join David Cage on the submarine to hell.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

Sam Barlow needs to join David Cage on the submarine to hell.

I know a guy.

Well, knew a guy.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless

Meowywitch posted:

In the first game, yes. The second one is just an artifact title.

It’s very easy to miss, but the sorcerer in the mountains towards the end of the game gives one of the most ham fisted title drops of all time.

D is for Death, the coming fall.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqFoQAsZVB4&t=93s

project dracula, the d in the project stands for dracula

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Home Safety Hotline is a fun lil game for SCP type appreciators and CRT enthusiasts

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i had some issues with immortality that ended up kinda spoiling it, but sam barlow is infinitely better than david cage

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Sam Barlow is kind of a lame auteur but I liked the investigative gameplay of Her Story even if the reveal stinks. But yeah I’ll take a hundred of his games over a single Cage game (opinion subject to change if Barlow is revealed to be a poo poo).

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

im mostly neutral on his games other than thinking he relies on twists too much. i know some people hate his guts because he was involved with a couple bad silent hill games but at this point anybody that cares is insane

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

studio mujahideen posted:

i had some issues with immortality that ended up kinda spoiling it

Yeah man I hate being a vampire too

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Basic Chunnel posted:

Home Safety Hotline is a fun lil game for SCP type appreciators and CRT enthusiasts

This was a fun quick game. Not a whole lot to it, but if you like analog horror and browsing fake wikis and then being quizzed on them, this game's for you.

I laughed a bit when I unlocked the behind the scenes after finishing the game and found out the devs and actors are former employees of the Evermore theme park.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I suspect I know the answer to this already, but are Penumbra: Overture and Amnesia: Dark Descent still recommended?

Both are ridiculously cheap on Steam at the minute (90% off, each) and I've played neither. Infact with the exception of SOMA, which I thought was great, I've never played a Frictional game. Anything specific to know either in favour or against giving these 2 a go?

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 30, 2024

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Cost of both wouldn't even cover a bus fare anywhere useful, so might as well. Penumbra's the more interesting of the two.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Penumbra is great. It's obviously a little rougher, but it has more involved gameplay mechanics than Amnesia (I recall the latter being derided in some places as a bit of a theme park/walking sim by comparison, and while I do enjoy it, that has some merit) , in a way Frictional didn't really revisit until The Bunker.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The first Penumbra was the weakest, with Frictional kinda just getting their footing with aspects like killer dogs that patrolled areas, but it's still good. The sequel really shines. The third game is simply a puzzle game with horror vibes (that I wrote a walkthrough on to cash in on an Amazon gift card).

Amnesia nails the horror vibes, but the gameplay isn't quite as good.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Morpheus posted:

The first Penumbra was the weakest, with Frictional kinda just getting their footing with aspects like killer dogs that patrolled areas, but it's still good. The sequel really shines. The third game is simply a puzzle game with horror vibes (that I wrote a walkthrough on to cash in on an Amazon gift card).

Amnesia nails the horror vibes, but the gameplay isn't quite as good.

I replayed the Penumbra games last year after being randomly reminded of them and my enthusiasm steadily rose through 1 and 2 and then I hit 3 and ten seconds after I loaded in I was like "oh yeah...linear puzzle game" and quit out.

It'd be really cool if modern Frictional went back and did an alternate Penumbra: Requiem that continued on from Black Plague (even if in spirit rather than a direct sequel).

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
From today's State of Play, we have a free to play Silent Hill that looks neat if it's not all microtransactiony. And SH2 footage focused on combat that, uh, looks like combat all right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmEamyHS3c4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayKICAIUHkA

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

That "short message" game looks like the leaked concept in 2022 with the girl with "I'm broken" or something similar carved on her face

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

why no Dr. XXX I don't have enough to pay for my checkup, isn't there.... some other way I could repay you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

i haaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

short message is so loving bad

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

why is a psychologist studying weather phenomenon

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hey boss i can't come in today, my garage just transformed into rusted metal and i think i see a Pyramid Head in my bathroom, i'm just gonna take the weekend to get over this.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Buck Wildman posted:

why is a psychologist studying weather phenomenon

It's not a stretch to for a psychologist or sociologist to look into weather patterns that cause behavioral changes in people lol, SAD exists. The game looks beat but we don't gotta sit here whining about dumb poo poo.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

seems like a waste of tuition if you ask me

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I honestly think Short Message is the worst demo I've ever played. The writing is hideous and the gameplay is worse than that. I hated every minute I played it and only finished it because I didn't respect my time as a sunk cost. It is insultingly bad

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

we don't gotta sit here whining about dumb poo poo.

What site do you think you're on

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

pyrotek posted:

I honestly think Short Message is the worst demo I've ever played. The writing is hideous and the gameplay is worse than that. I hated every minute I played it and only finished it because I didn't respect my time as a sunk cost. It is insultingly bad

I don't think it's a demo. I think that's the whole game.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

pyrotek posted:

It's Layers of Fear. It's trying so hard to recreate the magic of PT, but it's just Layers of Fear.

I don't know if Bloober Team had any involvement with it, everything I've been reading is people swearing up-and-down that it's from an internal Konami dev team. If it was made by an internal Konami non-Bloober team, then they looked at Layers of Fear and said "hey we can do one of those"

For anybody curious: it's got a full-screen list of Content Warnings that it hits you with twice before the game even starts. it's doing a stuck-in-a-loop type of story with fake endings, but it refuses to commit to the bit of actually rolling credits, but it does put the content warning up again like you're restarting the game, and then immediately has the protagonist comment on how they're stuck in a loop. Showing the content warnings once is a warning, twice is corny, four times is showing them off.

the writing is so loving corny and it fails to wrap around into "so bad it's good" territory

bawk fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 1, 2024

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's like eight people in the credits and almost all of them are from external support studios like Hexadive, then Yamaoka and Ito are there as freelancers. The only actual Konami employee is the director which is about what I expected because Konami has zero internal dev teams.

I'm sure this will somehow be twisted around to being about Bloober Team at some point though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Why is Konami doing this

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meowywitch posted:

Why is Konami doing this

Because pachinko revenue's been in the toilet, so Konami have to sigh, roll their eyes, and actually take people off the janitorial staff of their health spas to put them to work making videogames again.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Buck Wildman posted:

why no Dr. XXX I don't have enough to pay for my checkup, isn't there.... some other way I could repay you

:lol:

I think I rented XXX University once on VHS

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can't give them poo poo over the XXX that's pretty standard Japanese we're-blanking-this-out stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
hahahaha these comments https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/1afzeal/comment/kodsfrr/