Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Purgatory Glory posted:

Canada's basket weaving sector is about to take a huge hit. Curious to hear all the workarounds that get figured out.

Master's and PhD programs are unaffected I believe. Just have to become a doctor of basket weaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Can they still do a degree in ice hockey studies it seems unpatriotic to close that door to the foreigners

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

qhat posted:

Can they still do a degree in ice hockey studies it seems unpatriotic to close that door to the foreigners

Sorry, the best we can do is Algoma University's exciting new four year degree in E-Sports Management..

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

e: Double post whoops

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Subjunctive posted:

You would go with international students because of the economic circumstances that the province has created with its funding and tuition models for public colleges, at least in Ontario—exactly as the auditor was cited as saying in the article.

We just charge whatever we like, and we charge everyone the same amount. I don't know how it works in other provinces. I know there's a bias in favour of accepting international students for universities, where tuition is controlled, but at least for us that's not a consideration.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Sorry, the best we can do is Algoma University's exciting new four year degree in E-Sports Management..

Is that where you just play that EHM hockey management game for 4 years straight?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

4 years in-game, not real time. You gotta win the cup to pass.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
This doesn't seem good at all so I'm confused about the celebrating. Because Ford has deliberately underfunded universities they have been stuck depending on international students to stay out of bankruptcy.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-university-finance-tuition-panel-report-doug-ford-1.7032518

Now the amount of international students will be cut and so we're counting on, once again, Doug Ford to assign those student slots to legitimate schools instead of the diploma mills. The article quoted a few posts ago already says directly how Ontario has authorized ridiculous partnerships with these for-profit mills so I don't know why anyone would expect better things now. I would expect him to direct even more lucrative agreements towards these private colleges.

The end result of this seems like an accelerated collapse of post-secondary education in Ontario.

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker
Obviously this idea has been floated before, but are there any real downsides to "tax the poo poo out of unoccupied housing"? Push speculators out of the market, and with the housing that frees up force landlords to rent with competitive prices/amenities or sell. And I don't mean toothless non-enforcement like Vancouver and Toronto have (if they catch you lying, the only penalty is just paying the tax), actual "prove your unit is being lived in or go directly to jail."

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Gainsboro posted:

Obviously this idea has been floated before, but are there any real downsides to "tax the poo poo out of unoccupied housing"? Push speculators out of the market, and with the housing that frees up force landlords to rent with competitive prices/amenities or sell. And I don't mean toothless non-enforcement like Vancouver and Toronto have (if they catch you lying, the only penalty is just paying the tax), actual "prove your unit is being lived in or go directly to jail."

The amount of unoccupied housing is minimal. Every bit is helpful of course but it's still mostly a distraction game from the actual solution of building more housing and strict regulations on homes as investments/landlording.

The government just doesn't want to do that.

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

Fidelitious posted:

The amount of unoccupied housing is minimal.

Globe & Mail posted:

The number of housing units not occupied by “usual” residents – defined as Canadians and permanent residents living in their usual place of residence – rose by 40 per cent in the city of Toronto to 92,346 over the past five years.

report was compiled by Money.co.uk using data from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development posted:

A study released this week found that in Canada in 2020, there were up to 1,340,364 vacant homes, comprising 8.7% of all homes in the country.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I mean the first one is pretty easily explainable given they only count "Canadians and Permanent Residents" and there's been a massive rise in non-permanent residents over the past five years (i.e. the last million pages of international student chat).

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Oh no! There are vacant homes in Dogfuck, Saskatchewan, where nobody wants to live. SOMEBODY ALERT THE OECD!

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

McGavin posted:

Oh no! There are vacant homes in Dogfuck, Saskatchewan, where nobody wants to live. SOMEBODY ALERT THE OECD!
On Realtor.ca, the median price of a house in Dundurn, SK (population 700) is $300k.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
That place is an exurb of the largest city and next to a a provincial park and golf course. Not sure it is representative of more rural Sask being closer to half that.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
lol sitchensis check this out

CBC News - Lack of planners a concern as B.C. municipalities try to meet housing targets
Cities and towns don't have enough planners to move the needle on B.C.'s ambitious housing target, experts say

quote:

She says while there has been increasing demand for urban and land use planners all across the province, filling those vacant planning positions has been difficult. 

"Our job posting activity increased by 93 per cent from 2020 to 2021," she said.

Experts indicate the shortage is a result of fewer individuals enrolling in planning courses and a growing number of experienced planners retiring from their positions.

"We're seeing people leave the profession but then we're not seeing enough people enter the profession," said Andreanne Doyon, director of the planning program at Simon Fraser University.

"It is a challenging job. We see a lot of these professionals work maybe for 10 years and they go and do something else."

The SFU professor says the high cost of living in B.C. has also prompted many planners to seek jobs elsewhere in Canada.

"The province is really struggling to keep them from going."

Interest in pursuing higher education in planning has also dwindled among young professionals, she adds.

"We have seen a decrease in enrolment in master's programs in planning," Doyon said. "Part of the reason is because planning has become very political, getting caught between what the province and the municipality want and dealing with push backs from residents."

hmmm strange why do these young professionals not want to get constantly poo poo on in a deeply political environment? guess they'll just become computer touchers instead ...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m sure you can train an LLM to give plan feedback

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Femtosecond posted:

Boom government finally does a thing.

RIP diploma mills.

From what I've been hearing a lot of foreign students got wise to the fact that they're just being exploited at diploma mills while being used as cheap labor in the service sector and if you look at immigration targets vs actuals the rate of people immigrating has been dropping on its own without government intervention.

The libs are just opportunistically capping student visas/work permits when the students themselves have said "gently caress this poo poo" and stopped coming. Now they can point to the situation and say mission accomplished when in reality nobody wants to come to this stupid country anymore to be taken advantage of and exploited. This is nothing more than naked pandering to rising anti-immigrant vote without having addressed anything meaningful.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
What will we do without the urban planners...

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Not a heck of a lot, as it turns out.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

more plans examiners, inspectors, engineers, and lawyers would also be really nice

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Hubbert posted:

lol sitchensis check this out

CBC News - Lack of planners a concern as B.C. municipalities try to meet housing targets
Cities and towns don't have enough planners to move the needle on B.C.'s ambitious housing target, experts say

hmmm strange why do these young professionals not want to get constantly poo poo on in a deeply political environment? guess they'll just become computer touchers instead ...

the despairing looks i saw when members of my planning cohort discovered that their career would be rubber stamping approvals of another Speedy Autoglass in the hellscape of suburban Brampton, their only input limited to the size of planters in the parking lot median separating it from the nearby PetValu

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Gainsboro posted:

The notion assumes that there is a remarkable amount of unoccupied housing to tax and I don't think that's a given. The experience of BC and Vancouver with both the empty homes tax and speculation tax is that there's not that many empty homes and those two taxes have steadily driven the amount of identifiably empty homes lower and lower. At this point very little foreign buying and very little empty homes. I'd expect that with the recent Airbnb changes there will be very few Airbnbs too.

quote:

The Empty Homes Tax first came into effect in 2017, and the City says that as the tax is reaching the end of its fifth year, the amount of vacant properties in Vancouver is now at 1,398, which is 36% less compared to when it was first implemented.

https://storeys.com/city-of-vancouver-empty-homes-tax-report-2021-year/

That's really not that many empty homes. ~1500 is not at all a remarkable enough number to make the vacancy rate move at all even if they all went onto the market. Like I'm sure there's some additional amount of scofflaw homes not represented here too, but likely not that much.

It really gets into the point where additional enforcement beyond random audits will require increasingly more money and effort such that it's not worth it and increasing the fees only encourages more people to break the law, which requires more money to be spent on random audits and enforcement. It's easier to let a low 1000 amount of ultra millionaires that badly want to leave their pied a terre empty pay tens of thousands of dollars into a fund that can go toward creating affordable housing.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

sitchensis posted:

the despairing looks i saw when members of my planning cohort discovered that their career would be rubber stamping approvals of another Speedy Autoglass in the hellscape of suburban Brampton, their only input limited to the size of planters in the parking lot median separating it from the nearby PetValu

Arbitrary Lines: How Zoning Broke the American City and How To Fix It, Nolan M. Grey posted:

There’s a malaise haunting [North] American planning. You feel it in the breakout rooms of planning conferences, in the hall of planning offices, in the classrooms of planning schools. Attracted to the profession by high ideals, many planners have lost faith in the project of planning as it exists today.

This is particularly true of the lowly land-use planner, a creature reduced to managing rezoning paperwork for an anachronistic zoning code and meekly taking notes as a motley crew of busybodies take turns shouting at them over a zoning variance.

The dreams that motivated planners, a once forward-looking profession that sought to remake […] cities for the betterment of all, now finds itself merely a reactive force, absorbed by the tedium of enforcing floor area ratios and demarcating use subcategories on behalf of unrepresentative interests.

:shepicide:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

The number of housing units not occupied by “usual” residents – defined as Canadians and permanent residents living in their usual place of residence – rose by 40 per cent in the city of Toronto to 92,346 over the past five years.

Really geeky topic here but this stat apparently doesn't quite mean what it seems like it means as a large amount of normal use of property gets caught up in this. Considering this temporary vacancy to equate to toxic "empty home" is a mistake.

see: https://doodles.mountainmath.ca/blog/2022/02/14/unoccupied-canada/

quote:

What does “not occupied by usual residents mean”? In Canada this metric can be decomposed into two components: 1) dwellings that were unoccupied on census day, and 2) dwellings that were occupied, but by people who have their usual residence elsewhere. This second category includes, for instance, people working and living temporarily in a different city and students that return to their parent’s place at the end of the semester. Out of these two components, actually unoccupied dwellings make up the vast majority of unoccupied by usual resident dwellings, but in some regions, for example college towns, temporarily occupied dwellings can make up half of such dwellings.

The author goes on to look deeper into the data and to note that a large amount of the "unoccupied" units likely are just a noisey result from the fact that some large new building was just built and no one had moved in yet.

quote:

MAIN AND 2ND
The building at the southwest corner of Main and 2nd was newly constructed around census day. The census counted 233 dwelling units on this block with no other apparent housing on it, with 178 dwelling units not occupied by usual residents. It’s likely the case that residents simply hadn’t yet moved in to this building that completed quite near to Census day. The effect here is similar to what we witnessed for newly constructed areas in 2016 where an outcry was raised over vacancies picked up by the census data release.

YUKON AND 5TH
There are 38 dwelling units with nobody living in them at the block with the Yukon Shelter and no other apparent housing units. The shelter states that it is for people in “emergency and transitional situations”, which is why people living there would not be classified as usual residents. This is an example where all these units are very likely lived in as shelter or transitional housing units, just not by people classified as usual residents.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I’m sure you can train an LLM to give plan feedback

we already know we can replace NIMBYs with LLM.

quote:

can you please create a short public comment as if you were a NIMBY resident about a proposed mass timber 25-storey rental building in the Broadway Plan area, on Main St. at 4th Ave (about 500 m from the new Mount Pleasant SkyTrain station), with 210 rental apartments, 20% non-market

quote:

Subject: Concerns Regarding Proposed Mass Timber Rental Building in the Broadway Plan Area

Dear [City Council Name],

I am writing to express my deep concerns about the proposed mass timber 25-storey rental building in the Broadway Plan area, specifically located on Main St. at 4th Ave. As a longtime resident of this neighborhood, I have seen numerous changes over the years, and I believe it's crucial to voice my reservations about this particular development.

First and foremost, the sheer height of the proposed building raises apprehensions about its impact on the character of our community. A 25-storey structure seems out of scale with the surrounding low-rise buildings and may disrupt the aesthetic harmony we've come to appreciate in this area.

While I understand the need for increased housing options, the prospect of 210 rental apartments in a single building raises questions about the potential strain on existing infrastructure and services. Has the city thoroughly assessed the impact on traffic, parking, and public amenities? It's crucial to ensure that the neighborhood can seamlessly accommodate the influx of residents without compromising our current quality of life.

Moreover, the introduction of a non-market housing component, while commendable, requires careful consideration. I am curious about how the city plans to maintain a balanced mix of market and non-market units and how this will affect the overall dynamics of the community. Striking the right balance is essential for fostering inclusivity and preventing potential social disparities.

In conclusion, while I acknowledge the need for urban development and increased housing options, I urge the City Council to carefully consider the concerns raised by residents like myself. It's crucial to strike a balance between progress and the preservation of our community's unique character and quality of life.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Femtosecond posted:

we already know we can replace NIMBYs with LLM.

That’s not a scarcity I am concerned about, really.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

leftist heap posted:

What will we do without the urban planners...

As a planner I will certainly admit that there are sub-disciplines that need major reform. It’s a very broad field though. The thread rags on zoning, development approvals and heritage for good reasons. But some planners get sidewalks and protected bike lanes built while fighting against the car brain infected traffic engineers who want to widen roads and highways instead. Other planners work on transit. Some are involved in environmental protection. And others get parks built.

Development approvals (where the deficit of planners usually exists) has horrible job quality. You don’t have much latitude to interpret zoning and so on. You are largely an enforcer of Council approved policies. You are constantly berated by wealthy developers who are usually conservative or libertarian types that just hate government altogether. You get bombarded by NIMBYs via phone and email. I’ve never done development approvals and I never will. In my experience, many people accept jobs in development approvals just to get into a municipality so they can move internally to a better job.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I am still skeptical of the "there are no unoccupied units" mantra because when I look outside my window at around say 9PM I see far fewer lights on in residential buildings than I'd expect. Maybe
my expectations are off and/or my neighbours are all engaging in stimulating unlit activities around then.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I’ve had an idea for a long time that one summer I’ll go down to kits beach to the same spot every evening and take a picture of downtown. Then after a couple months of this I would superimpose them to see how many apartments literally never have lights on.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I am still skeptical of the "there are no unoccupied units" mantra because when I look outside my window at around say 9PM I see far fewer lights on in residential buildings than I'd expect. Maybe
my expectations are off and/or my neighbours are all engaging in stimulating unlit activities around then.

young people are anti big light, lamps only not sure how much light pollution it causes compared to the ambient city light

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Millennials have killed another industry :rip:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I think some student in Toronto did try the elaborate "taking photos of windows over time" method.

But yeah the city looked into this in 2014, looking for empty homes by looking for homes that lacked high variability in energy rates, which would indicate no one lives there and power use is on set timers or whatever, thus an empty home.

They found not a terribly remarkable amount of empty homes, but they did find some in specific neighbourhoods like Coal Harbour. It was enough to justify an empty homes tax but this report completely busted the notion that it was some growing amount of empty homes that was the cause of the increased home prices at the time.

quote:

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2016/03/08/report-on-vacant-homes-expected-to-be-released-by-city-of-vancouver/
VANCOUVER – It’s a common complaint in Vancouver’s real estate market: investors are buying homes and letting them sit empty, driving up housing prices and leaving some neighbourhoods nearly abandoned.

Not true, says a new city-led study.

“There was no apparent correlation between the house price inflation as opposed to the empty homes that we have,” Mukhtar Latif, the city’s chief housing officer, said Tuesday.

The landmark study found that Vancouver’s non-occupancy rate, at nearly five per cent, was in line with other big cities and has remained flat since 2002. Housing prices have skyrocketed during the same period, suggesting another factor is driving the increase.

Ecotagious Inc. analyzed the energy consumption of 225,000 homes over a 12-year period and determined that 10,800 of them were vacant in 2014. The vast majority of empty homes were condominiums, which had a vacancy rate of 12.5 per cent, while the rate for rental units was close to zero.

The study was completed using anonymous BC Hydro data from 225,000 out of the approximately 280,000 homes in Vancouver.

A vacant home shows less variability in electricity use on a day-to-day basis. A home was categorized as vacant for one year if it registered as unoccupied for each of four months when heat isn’t used — August, September and the following June and July.

The report: https://council.vancouver.ca/20160308/documents/rr1EcotagiousReport.pdf

Would be interesting to do one of these studies again. I bet they'd find remarkably less at this point.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Shofixti posted:

As a planner I will certainly admit that there are sub-disciplines that need major reform. It’s a very broad field though. The thread rags on zoning, development approvals and heritage for good reasons. But some planners get sidewalks and protected bike lanes built while fighting against the car brain infected traffic engineers who want to widen roads and highways instead. Other planners work on transit. Some are involved in environmental protection. And others get parks built.

Development approvals (where the deficit of planners usually exists) has horrible job quality. You don’t have much latitude to interpret zoning and so on. You are largely an enforcer of Council approved policies. You are constantly berated by wealthy developers who are usually conservative or libertarian types that just hate government altogether. You get bombarded by NIMBYs via phone and email. I’ve never done development approvals and I never will. In my experience, many people accept jobs in development approvals just to get into a municipality so they can move internally to a better job.

Seems to me that where we have the strongest need for Planners (and imo where the most interesting work seems to be) is in doing significant public realm type projects. Situations where we're creating a neighbourhood whole cloth out of some giant empty brownfield site. Stuff like Shipyards in North Van or Olympic Village, where there's a variety of work around creation of parks, road alignment, creating plazas etc.

If I were the Head Planner of Vancouver I would be trying to prezone liberally as much as possible to free up Planners from having to have a look at anything but the most interesting public realm problems. My view on someone's SFH proposal would be "I don't care" and so long as they were under the max allowed height and within the boundaries of their lot go hog wild.

Vancouver planners should be working on like long term vision stuff like how we're going to extend the waterfront over the train tracks, or creating a long term plan for rezoning and public realm around kitsilano skytrain expansion and eventual arbutus line expansion.

Smaller near term stuff like improving parks and bike lanes seems like a much better use of time than bylaw checking too.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Can someone sell me on bike lanes? They seem like the dumbest possible use of funds in a country with actual Winter and the support tends to boil down to “better than car infrastructure spending”. With the amount of bike lanes put in Toronto, for instance, we could have had dedicated bus lanes instead.

With how limited and expensive housing is, very few people live close enough to work to be able to bike, and these lanes sit idle most of the year. Wouldn’t bus lanes be better?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

a primate posted:

Can someone sell me on bike lanes? They seem like the dumbest possible use of funds in a country with actual Winter and the support tends to boil down to “better than car infrastructure spending”. With the amount of bike lanes put in Toronto, for instance, we could have had dedicated bus lanes instead.

With how limited and expensive housing is, very few people live close enough to work to be able to bike, and these lanes sit idle most of the year. Wouldn’t bus lanes be better?

huh? bike commuters still bike to work in the winter. that's when the bike lanes are the most valuable, actually.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

1. It's entirely possible to plow bike lanes. (you just need a cute little mini snow plow).
2. Montreal has winter bike share where the bikes have studded tires. My pal has been using them and says they're excellent and work well.

Cycling is entirely viable in winter. The only reason it wouldn't happen is because a city is disinterested in the mild expense of making it viable.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

a primate posted:

Lol Denmark has a very similar climate to most of Canada and one of the highest cycling rates in the world.

Bike lanes are vastly cheaper to build and maintain than roads, and pay for themselves in societal benefits including reduced pollution, reduced road traffic and reduced healthcare costs.

Edit: here's the SFU study backing up that last point: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0246419

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

who’s going to pay for buses to fill the bus lanes? not the TTC, that’s for sure