Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hughmoris posted:

I just saw this over on the Oculus subreddit: MR Vacuuming.

I think there are so many creative uses for VR/AR/MR waiting to be discovered and developed.

Oh yeah, I'm into this, like power washing satisfaction. Add some little gremlins I have to snort up with my vacuum and a scoreboard. Want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Death Stranding is coming to Mac devices and I did not know I needed an AVisP version of that game until right this second :shepspends:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not a lot of VR games released this month, it seems the only that could be worth it is Underdogs. But it's also more roguelike than I thought
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cErPqNO0QK0

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Al! posted:

just make her an offbrand version of the pokemon center nurse and youll be a billionaire

"Why is the Nurse Chansey DLC $199.99?"

"The market is smaller, but much less price-sensitive."

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm having achilles surgery in a few weeks and am going to be laid up for a while. Any decent games I can play while propped up in bed?

Moss and Moss 2.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Beastie posted:

Alien Versus Predator :colbert:

That is what we're talking about right? O_O

Kwolok posted:

Even more to the point it's not like the AVP invented these controls. It might be the smoothest iteration yet but it's so typically Apple to just take technologies already developed, improve them slightly, market it, and have people line up to say "wow what innovation!". Eye tracking and hand tracking are not unique to Apple

Improve them so normal people can use them you mean.

Its never "slightly".

Its moving enthusiast bullshit to consumer space. And they do it well.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

for fucks sake posted:

Moss and Moss 2.

Great picks. Great games. Some of the best, imo.

emptyrave
May 13, 2022

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm having achilles surgery in a few weeks and am going to be laid up for a while. Any decent games I can play while propped up in bed?

If you like rhythm games then I'd recommend Thumper.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Wow, Ocarina of Time 3DS looks loving sharp on Quest 3 with Citra.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.roadtovr.com/quest-psvr-2-unit-sales-holiday-2023/

I remember thinking Sony would support the PSVR2 more heavily...

and I guess this is relevant to the thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb0dG-2huJE

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 24, 2024

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The problem with something like the PSVR2 is that people would rather have a universal device. It probably could be selling much better if Sony just created and marketed a PCVR headset that also works with a ps4/5 and has specific games that are only available on those platforms, albeit the headset also working with platforms like Steam. VR is already a niche market, and making it even more niche isn't going to do many favors, except for maybe from a research and development angle.

There are probably hacks and workarounds that let you do this anyways, if I know anything about the greater jailbreaking community.

I'm sure the Vision Pro is probably locked to Apple specific soft as well, but Apple Stans are some of the most viciously brain-dead consumers when it comes to brand loyalty that it doesn't matter, either way.

edit: apparently PSVR2 isn't even backwards compatible with old PSVR games. That's a big lol

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 24, 2024

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

KillHour posted:

I obviously haven't used it, so maybe it's literally magic, but I have a lazy eye (although minor - I still have stereo vision in most situations) and I'm terrified that everyone is going to go "this is the new way you control computers now" and I'm going to suddenly lose the ability to interact with 90% of UIs except through some half-assed accessibility tool.

You're supposed to be able to manually set which eye the tracking follows in the accessibility settings.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://bleedingcool.com/games/resolution-games-to-make-dungeons-dragons-vr-title/

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ohmygodohmygod yesssssss

For those that aren’t connecting the dots like I didn’t at first, Resolution is the Demeo studio, this may in fact net us a BG3-a-la-Demeo experience. :swoon:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm sure the Vision Pro is probably locked to Apple specific soft as well, but Apple Stans are some of the most viciously brain-dead consumers when it comes to brand loyalty that it doesn't matter, either way.

The key thing there is that these days, any reasonably well made standalone headset is also a PCVR headset because of apps like Virtual Desktop. It's not an either-or anymore.

That's also, in my mind, one of the key issues with the whole PSVR situation. If you get a Quest (or an Apple headset) you've also got access to the whole PCVR ecosystem using the same hardware, while PSVR is stuck with a more locked-down environment than literally anything else on the market.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah... even though I kinda wanted to try that Horizon VR game, it was a bigger factor for me that I am going to build a PCVR-capable machine so getting in Sony's garden would be the most limiting overall

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

It took a while but I can play Echo Arena again.

This is the native quest 2 way to do it

You need CX File Explorer and the Mobile VR station then grab the files from the discord, but it works!

https://youtu.be/wS8QbXDC2xk?si=Ouvaq75kCxFoGo0G

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Can the Quest 3 not charge through the link cable to a USB 3.2 port on my computer? I left it overnight and it discharged completely.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It can but your PC probably doesn't put out enough power through the port to charge it. I left my Pico 4 connected to my PC to charge a few days ago because I didn't have a spare socket for the actual charger and it gained about 10% charge in 8 hours.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you'd think there would be PCIe USB cards which support fast charging but the best i can find are limited to 5V3A, unless you go to the super expensive USB4/thunderbolt stuff

apparently the quest 3 will use up to 12V3A if the charger supports it, though the included charger is only 9V2A

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 25, 2024

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
After charging the Quest 3 through the wallsocket with the standard charger, it now says charging when i plug in the link cable to the computer. I'm going to have to see if it's lying or what. It gave me a notification that the headset is charging at a slower rate. So probably like you said the USB port isn't outputting enough power.

Killstick fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 25, 2024

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You need a powered USB hub, that'll let you use the headset and charge it simultaneously.

There are good reasons why USB is power limited on PCs, namely that they don't want you to connect a bunch of poo poo to it and blow out the PSU, although I guess that modern charging capabilities through USB-C could change that at some point.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

My PC / Link won't charge it from dead, I have to use a wall outlet for that. But I plug it in after a session and it tops if off.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Killstick posted:

Can the Quest 3 not charge through the link cable to a USB 3.2 port on my computer? I left it overnight and it discharged completely.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You need a powered USB hub, that'll let you use the headset and charge it simultaneously.

There are good reasons why USB is power limited on PCs, namely that they don't want you to connect a bunch of poo poo to it and blow out the PSU, although I guess that modern charging capabilities through USB-C could change that at some point.

Quest 3 runs on 9v/2A so you want to find a cable with power injection and plug in a PD capable charger or battery to it then it won't drain while playing. USB/5V charging doesn't cut it even with powered hub

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
universal serial bus, huh

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you're universally guaranteed to get USB2 data and 5v at 500mA, if you want extravagances beyond that then that's your problem

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Underdogs is out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY_C1QKJpto

and my 25% referral, as always

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I dig the visual style. Curious what the gameplay is like.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

The Eyes Have It posted:

I dig the visual style. Curious what the gameplay is like.

it looks like "powerloader scene from aliens, the game"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anyone know of any cool VR thing to do on a treadmill? Meta-native or PCVR are both fine. Have my treadmill set up as a walking desk and it's been great, been getting in lots of hours, but I was wondering if there might be anything fun for this in the VR spectrum, aside from watching movies, which is also cool. Something that more intentionally involves treadmill walking.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have a long USBC cable with external power provided and it is not enough to do more than sustain the battery on the quest 2

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Anyone know of any cool VR thing to do on a treadmill? Meta-native or PCVR are both fine. Have my treadmill set up as a walking desk and it's been great, been getting in lots of hours, but I was wondering if there might be anything fun for this in the VR spectrum, aside from watching movies, which is also cool. Something that more intentionally involves treadmill walking.

I bet Pistol Whip would be fun on a treadmill. Just be careful with the dodging.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

KillHour posted:

I bet Pistol Whip would be fun on a treadmill. Just be careful with the dodging.

Yeah, thought about that, would need maps with no dodging.

Did come across this, which apparently uses head bobbing to indicate forward movement, so treadmill, actual walking, walking place, etc. all work: https://store.steampowered.com/app/499400/The_Path_of_Greatest_Resistance/

Bonus: there's a treadmill mode, and you can make VR handles for the cart that match your RL treadmill handles. 4 bucks, that's pretty low risk, so we'll see.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Being on a moving treadmill (a normal one, not, like, one of those VR treadmills) with a VR headset on feels like the most dangerous poo poo in the world to me unless you're walking unbelievably slow. Something like a stationary bike or even an elliptical I could see but I almost beef it walking on a treadmill without a headset all the time so I imagine in virtual reality it would be real dangerous or nausea inducing.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

explosivo posted:

Being on a moving treadmill (a normal one, not, like, one of those VR treadmills) with a VR headset on feels like the most dangerous poo poo in the world to me unless you're walking unbelievably slow. Something like a stationary bike or even an elliptical I could see but I almost beef it walking on a treadmill without a headset all the time so I imagine in virtual reality it would be real dangerous or nausea inducing.

I saw a 9ft behemoth in Pavlov and it was a screamer standing on top of his bed. Seemed super dangerous but what do I know?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah we're not talking about running here, we're talking about treadmill desk speed, which is slower than you would normally walk by a fair margin. Like 1-1.5mph is pretty typical for a walking desk. This would not be a problem even completely blindfolded, and if you add in holding the handles of your treadmill as a stand-in for the cart in that game above, it's fine.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

similarly, is there a game that would work with my rowing machine? there are a couple of kyak games ive noticed

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Al! posted:

similarly, is there a game that would work with my rowing machine? there are a couple of kyak games ive noticed

Gonna piggyback on this and ask if there are any games I can use with the swing in my bedroom.

TIA.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Al! posted:

HOLOFit is apparently a thing? Maybe quest only though, haven’t gotten to look into it.

MarcusSA posted:

Gonna piggyback on this and ask if there are any games I can use with the swing in my bedroom.

TIA.

VRChat, I believe, is what you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Well that didn't take long (Apple to allow games after all)

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=f1v8pyay