Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
My little dude is starting to get a hang of wiping himself but he still comes out into the living room with this pants down and goes into downward dog yelling for me to check the poop. I hope he doesn't do that at school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rufio posted:

My little dude is starting to get a hang of wiping himself but he still comes out into the living room with this pants down and goes into downward dog yelling for me to check the poop. I hope he doesn't do that at school
TBH I'd rather they do that at school (and yes, they do) than wing it. How many times have I had to clean undies with the worst skid marks because of a four-year-old's obviously insufficient wipe job?

Thankfully he started pooping in the evening again.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

This. She decided she doesn't need teacher help with wiping any more. Oh, yes you do, honey.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Sure my toddler is unreasonably angry at me much of the time but moments like Sunday where she went to get groceries with dad and she insisted he buy me a bouquet of red flowers because "red flowers makes mama happy" kinda make it all worth while

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Oh no today is one of those newborn days where it’s an endless short nap -> snack -> short nap cycle

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Re: sleep deprivation talk. Does anyone know numbers on how many parents actually suffer from it? As in, has it been surveyed?

I read and hear so much about babies who keep their parents up all night, but when I ask friends they all mostly gloss over it with “yeah we lost some sleep but it was fine”, and eventually all kids start sleeping OK (barring a few specific disorders).

For example my mom tells me I had colic “for a while around two months old” but she doesn’t remember how long that lasted.

I guess I’m partly curious as to just how lucky I am to have two babies in a row who are sound sleepers, and partly I’m wondering whether all my acquaintances have simply forgotten how bad it was because sleep deprivation messes with your long term memory.

Doll House Ghost posted:

Recommendations around the world are interesting.

In my Northern European corner of the world co-sleeping is very typical and even recommended. We are also instructed to wash babies' butts after every poo with water only (no wipes), and the put them outside to sleep in a pram basically whatever the weather.

FWIW, in my Northern European corner (Sweden) they firmly recommend against leaving them to sleep unsupervised outdoors. I’ve seen it done but it’s actually mentioned in one of the leaflets we got at the maternity ward.

They do recommend cosleeping, for the sane definition of cosleeping, which is to have baby I a crib in the parents’ room. But then again I believe even the AAP has caught on to that being a good idea, so it should be recommended across the US as well these days.

Edit: AAP, not APA.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 24, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Cosleeping in US terms is baby in same bed.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

nachos posted:

Oh no today is one of those newborn days where it’s an endless short nap -> snack -> short nap cycle

:same: at least he's cute

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Only day two for me in the hospital but I already miss my other kid so much!

It's going to be so weird trying to split my attention between two now.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Speaking of: How do folks handle the “first kid at home, birth of second kid at hospital” situation?

We are planning on grandma watching the oldest (2.5yo) and taking her to daycare, but aren’t sure if we should bring her to the hospital to meet her little sister then or just wait the few days to do introductions when mom isn’t laid up in bed (planning a c/s) and we are all set to go home.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We've had the grandparents watch our youngest and take her to daycare during the day then bring her over to the hospital to visit for an hour or two and that's worked out well.

Basically we're trying to keep our youngest in her routine as much as possible.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

#2 born yesterday.

So far so good. I'm sleeping any little chance I can get to stay fresh. He's pooped like 10 times already today!

Congratulations! Your post got buried at the bottom of the last page

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Re: sleep deprivation talk. Does anyone know numbers on how many parents actually suffer from it? As in, has it been surveyed?

I read and hear so much about babies who keep their parents up all night, but when I ask friends they all mostly gloss over it with “yeah we lost some sleep but it was fine”, and eventually all kids start sleeping OK (barring a few specific disorders).

For example my mom tells me I had colic “for a while around two months old” but she doesn’t remember how long that lasted.

I guess I’m partly curious as to just how lucky I am to have two babies in a row who are sound sleepers, and partly I’m wondering whether all my acquaintances have simply forgotten how bad it was because sleep deprivation messes with your long term memory.

My son is 10 and didn't sleep for 2.5 years.
It was awful..I don't know how we did it when I think back now.

My MIL tells me my husband was the same way so I blame him 🤣

My sister's first baby was an excellent sleeper and the second one was not.

It really feels like it's a coin flip with every baby.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

sheri posted:

My son is 10 and didn't sleep for 2.5 years.
It was awful..I don't know how we did it when I think back now.

My MIL tells me my husband was the same way so I blame him 🤣

My sister's first baby was an excellent sleeper and the second one was not.

It really feels like it's a coin flip with every baby.

Same here, mine is 2 years and 8 months and only just started sleeping okay (not well) and the first 2.5 years were just beyond brutal for me

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

They do recommend cosleeping, for the sane definition of cosleeping, which is to have baby I a crib in the parents’ room. But then again I believe even the APA has caught on to that being a good idea, so it should be recommended across the US as well these days.

Our boy is a good sleeper and has been since about 2 or 4 months I want to say.

And yeah, the recommendation is at least 6 months crib in the same room; I think some institutions recommend 1 year?

Lmao we didn't do that though, our boy was sleeping in his room since a pretty young age. IDK if that's a good idea or not but that's just what ended up happening for us :shrug:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Son peed on the couch and honestly tried to get mommy to think I did it

Mr. Freebus
Sep 7, 2007

please do not shut down

Nybble posted:

Speaking of: How do folks handle the “first kid at home, birth of second kid at hospital” situation?

We are planning on grandma watching the oldest (2.5yo) and taking her to daycare, but aren’t sure if we should bring her to the hospital to meet her little sister then or just wait the few days to do introductions when mom isn’t laid up in bed (planning a c/s) and we are all set to go home.

wondering this myself. im due mid-march when my daughter will be 17m, so my mom is flying here on the 1st of march so my daughter can get used to her and watch her while baby 2 makes his appearance. spent a week in the hospital last time from birth trauma and i am so honestly terrified of being apart from my daughter that long. we haven't even done an overnight with a babysitter or grandparents yet. do we take her to the hospital to visit? will she think i abandoned her? am i a monster for having another kid? who's to say. just hope baby doesnt get stuck this time :)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

hallo spacedog posted:

Sure my toddler is unreasonably angry at me much of the time but moments like Sunday where she went to get groceries with dad and she insisted he buy me a bouquet of red flowers because "red flowers makes mama happy" kinda make it all worth while

Sometimes when I take the kids shopping they'll grab a block of chocolate from the shelf, tell me "chocolate for mama" and then when we get home will find it in the shopping bag and say "here you are mama".

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
We didn't really get the choice of bringing the first kid to the hospital because of covid restrictions. Also, my wife had severe hypertension as a result of the pregnancy, so she was stuck in the hospital for a week, and they don't let the baby leave without Mom.

Her Mom stayed with our son for the week from out of state, and he had a great time. I did a lot of driving back and forth. I think one of us took him to daycare? Probably she took him in using my wife's car and I picked him up on the trips back and forth? It's been a bit.

He had seen her a number of times before, so he was cool with "Grandma is better than Mom or Dad". My Mom has more health problems and would have had a harder time keeping up, even with my Dad's help. At least we didn't have them competing for help.

We had the baby bring a stuffie for her older brother, and the fastest way to his heart is with stuffies, so he was On Board. 2.5 years later and they're thick as thieves.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
Any toddler car seat recommendations for a tall kiddo? Ideally under $200.

We bought a Chicco Keyfit 35 carseat that goes to 35lbs and thought we'd be good to go for awhile based on typical growth charts, but I didn't expect the height to cut that short. My son measured around 32.4 inches (and 24.8 lbs) at his 15mos checkup last month, and his carseat maxes out at 32 inches. It's clear that it's getting too small for him already.

A lot of these rear-facing carseats I'm looking at now list the weight, but not the height limits. I want it to make it a couple of years, but not get something so versatile that it might be more appropriate for older kids. I also drive a Kia Forte, so it needs to fit into a smaller space. Thanks in advance.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have the uppababy Knox and it swallowed my very average sized 5 year old nephew no problem. Facing forward though. And they cost double your budget

Probably not that it matters but although it's forward facing, the way the kid is strapped in they're kinda reclined more than sitting upright, IMO

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Cosleeping in US terms is baby in same bed.

The AAP, at least, refers to that as “bed-sharing”.

quote:

https://www.aap.org/en/news-room/news-releases/aap/2022/american-academy-of-pediatrics-updates-safe-sleep-recommendations-back-is-best/

[…]
We know that many parents choose to share a bed with a child, for instance, perhaps to help with breastfeeding or because of a cultural preference or a belief that it is safe.
The evidence is clear that this significantly raises the risk of a baby’s injury or death, however, and for that reason AAP cannot support bed-sharing under any circumstances.
[…]

AAP recommends that parents sleep in the same room – but not in the same bed as a baby, preferably for at least the first six months.

IMO the term co-sleeping is too overloaded with these two meanings so it should be avoided. Notably, the AAP has avoided using it in this press release. Instead we can use “room sharing” and “bed sharing”.

I wonder which one is recommended in Doll House Ghost’s country?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 24, 2024

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

The bedsharing kind is what I meant.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Brawnfire posted:

Son peed on the couch and honestly tried to get mommy to think I did it

Wow, way to blame your son for you peeing on the couch.

Re leaving the first kid at home while you go have the second, we had my MIL come stay with the toddler while we were in the hospital. We did a video call with just mommy and daddy, but saved the actual baby intro for after we got home. We didn't want to bring the toddler to the hospital because she would have lost her mind when she had to leave. We were also only there for two days, so for a longer stay ymmv.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Mr. Freebus posted:

wondering this myself. im due mid-march when my daughter will be 17m, so my mom is flying here on the 1st of march so my daughter can get used to her and watch her while baby 2 makes his appearance. spent a week in the hospital last time from birth trauma and i am so honestly terrified of being apart from my daughter that long. we haven't even done an overnight with a babysitter or grandparents yet. do we take her to the hospital to visit? will she think i abandoned her? am i a monster for having another kid? who's to say. just hope baby doesnt get stuck this time :)

She won't think you abandoned her, don't even worry about that kind of thing. For our second, I, the non-birthing parent, shuttled back and forth from the house to the hospital. The nurses are there to assist the parent recovering from the birth and can help with the baby so my job was mostly to provide support and help deal with all of the forms and stuff.

We took our son in to visit his brother after Mom felt ready to see him. She didn't want him to see her all drugged up, so she waited a day. It helped that the recovery this time was a lot easier since we had a scheduled c rather than an emergency one like the first time. He loved seeing his brother but he was tired of the hospital after an hour or two.

Relax, trust that your kid (and you) can handle this!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
We prepped our daughter, who has always refused babysitters/nannies/family members, for a couple months. She knew what was going to happen and behaved really well, albeit not saying a single word to MIL and aunt and just quietly following instructions. I made sure to go back and forth between home and hospital to spend some time with her over the weekend we were at the hospital.

I was not prepared for how sad I was going to feel seeing her on facetime a couple hours after delivery of her brother. It was a really weird feeling.

She behaved incredibly well though and surpassed all our expectations. Being 4 probably helped, I think around age 3 it would have been much more difficult.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Prepping is a really big part since kids don't do well with surprises. We were telling him for months what would happen, and at about a month out we drew a baby calendar. Every day we put a sticker on the calendar as a countdown to baby day. Then we had an emergency C-section 3 days early and hosed everything up but oh well. Older was staying with my in-laws, and lucky for us he loves them more than me so he spent a wonderful 4 days being spoiled rotten. It also helps that he was 4, so he was old enough to understand what was happening to some degree. We also made sure that his routine was followed, so he continued to go to school while we were in the hospital.

We had him come to the hospital on day 3 when mom felt better and was ready, and we had a present from the baby to kiddo as a peace offering. It camera because he was in a phase where he always wanted to take pictures of everything, and it worked out well because he spent the majority of his visit taking pictures of the baby.

Not gonna lie, I was just following my wife's lead on this one since she's the educator. There was a lot of focus on not blaming the baby for anything and emphasizing that the baby was an equal part of the family (most importantly, not a priority, baby did not take away from him) and overall the entire process could not have been any better. He's the best big brother you could ask for and we didn't really have any kind of significant behavioral regressions. Overall we were blessed to have such supportive family because my in-laws took so much stress off of our plate.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Start training those grandparents early for sleepovers. It may seem rude if the baby isn't sleeping a straight 12 hours or whatever but they'll survive. You're gonna need it.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
We were very fortunate to have a short labour that started at 3am (haha fortunate) and as a result, as far as the eldest was concerned, grandma came and gave him breakfast and spent the morning with him (we were back for lunchtime)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rufio posted:

Start training those grandparents early for sleepovers. It may seem rude if the baby isn't sleeping a straight 12 hours or whatever but they'll survive. You're gonna need it.

Yes

"It takes a village to raise a child" takes on all sorts of meaning after the kid is born

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My little boy just got moved up to the preschool classroom! But I still have to pay the higher rates for now because we are still working on potty training. I am very proud of him, regardless :)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Anyone have experience fighting medical bills?

We want to complain that an imaging result was interpreted completely incorrectly (wrong side of body) and caused duplicative follow ups to be done. We also were rushed into taking an (leisurely) ambulance ride between the ER and hospital with no warning that the ambulance is out of network that will be $3k thank you very much.

It’s what I get for saying we’re close to a pay raise for going off alimentum :(

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hi and welcome to kid book reviews, here are some books that we've been given which i loving hate and cannot wait to donate to goodwill (or the garbage can)

• Dragons Love Tacos - if being written in the second person wasn't bad enough, it also seems like a great way to get kids to refuse spicy food
  • Dinos Don't Meditate - just because you listened to a fuckin podcast episode about mindfulness doesn't mean you should write a lovely book about it
  • Little Chickies / Los Pollitos - spent so much effort making it bilingual they forgot to write a story
  • The Wonderful Things You Will Be - just fuckin unbearably twee

anyway I'm gonna go read this old copy of The Dragon Who Liked to Spit Fire somebody gave us because 1) it's got a fun 50s/60s art style and 2) the title makes me remember that Chapelle sketch

edit: oh I forgot "Press Here" which is also garbage

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Pham Nuwen posted:

hi and welcome to kid book reviews, here are some books that we've been given which i loving hate and cannot wait to donate to goodwill (or the garbage can)

• The Wonderful Things You Will Be - just fuckin unbearably twee

Ohhhh comeon, it's cute.

Edit for content: I fuckin hate all of those 150-page compendiums of "5-minute Whatever Stories". Just... why. Yeah, we all love Bluey. But I sure as hell don't want to have to read a lovely knockoff of the episode I just watched. Half the pleasure is the 7 minutes of peace.

truavatar fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 24, 2024

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The Pout Pout Fish is the G.O.A.T. bedtime book.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Does anyone have experience with Montessori schools through elementary grades?

Our son is currently in a preK-3 program and he's really thriving. It's in a convenient location, has a great administrator, great teachers, and most of the other parents I've met seem pretty cool (especially considering the deep red area we live in). Right now the school goes up to Kindergarten and we are planning on keeping him there until then for sure.

The admin recently told us that she's expanding to school through 5th grade. I know we have a lot of time to make decisions on this but I just wanna get some opinions. Do you guys think there would be drawbacks in the program up til that age?

Our concern is that the adjustment to a more traditional school may be more difficult the longer he stays with Montessori. We all know the horrors of middle school and I'd hate to make things more difficult for him at that age.

And on another note, how much do y'all's 3-4 year olds tell you about their day? I try to get an idea of what he does at school or who his friends are and most of the answers I get are "I don't know" or "I don't remember". Is this pretty normal? For a kid who seems to remember every single thing in other contexts, it's frustrating to constantly be told he doesn't remember anything.

We can sometimes get a little bit of info if we can slowly go over his day step by step but it's like pulling teeth. Are we just expecting too much? I know that's been a problem for us sometimes because he's pretty advanced and it's easy to forget he's still only 3.5.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

[*]Dragons Love Tacos - if being written in the second person wasn't bad enough, it also seems like a great way to get kids to refuse spicy food

How do you get children to eat spicy food? for my wife and I the bare minimum is serranos or Tabasco sauce to make food palatable. We almost never eat what our kid is eating

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I’m assuming Little Chickies/Los Pollitos is based off of the song “Los pollitos dicen” in which case, I don’t think trying to be bilingual and forgetting to tell a story is necessarily the point.

My least favorite books to read are when you accidentally wind up with an early reader version of some series and it has incredibly stilted rhymes or weird vocabulary. I also hate the Berenstain Bears book where they put all the junk food in the freezer. How does that make any sense?

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 25, 2024

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Rufio posted:

And on another note, how much do y'all's 3-4 year olds tell you about their day? I try to get an idea of what he does at school or who his friends are and most of the answers I get are "I don't know" or "I don't remember". Is this pretty normal? For a kid who seems to remember every single thing in other contexts, it's frustrating to constantly be told he doesn't remember anything.

We can sometimes get a little bit of info if we can slowly go over his day step by step but it's like pulling teeth. Are we just expecting too much? I know that's been a problem for us sometimes because he's pretty advanced and it's easy to forget he's still only 3.5.

Totally normal. My 7.5 year old does the same but what they really mean is "school is my space and I don't have to tell you". It's a way of asserting independence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Rufio posted:

Does anyone have experience with Montessori schools through elementary grades?

Our son is currently in a preK-3 program and he's really thriving. It's in a convenient location, has a great administrator, great teachers, and most of the other parents I've met seem pretty cool (especially considering the deep red area we live in). Right now the school goes up to Kindergarten and we are planning on keeping him there until then for sure.

The admin recently told us that she's expanding to school through 5th grade. I know we have a lot of time to make decisions on this but I just wanna get some opinions. Do you guys think there would be drawbacks in the program up til that age?

Our concern is that the adjustment to a more traditional school may be more difficult the longer he stays with Montessori. We all know the horrors of middle school and I'd hate to make things more difficult for him at that age.
I went to a Montessori pre-K program that lasted through sixth grade. I was also in a deep red area and it was the best thing my parents could have done for me at that age. It was a great school and I'm grateful for the education I received.

But it was also an absolutely brutal transition into middle school and I was not prepared for the social culture shock or the inflexibility of the curriculum. Your concerns are well-founded. I think it was worthwhile overall, but be ready to support your kiddo if you go that route, especially since it sounds like this is new territory for those teachers.

For full disclosure my own kid is about to enter kindergarten and we are 100% planning to stay in public schools. But that has more to do with the fact that I have more faith in my local schools than the ones where I grew up, and not from any dissatisfaction with Montessori itself.