Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
God Of Gamblers has Chow Yun Fat smoking fools left and right, plus his gambling ability is literally magic, he'd definitely remember that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This is a weird one, but the movie I'm thinking of has I think the main character mentally flash to a shot of a bunch of tall pillars standing in what's implied to be a lot of water, like a rising ocean or something. The flood wasn't the focus of it, and part of me wants to say these pillars looked like servers, though I don't necessarily remember any lights or buttons on them.

I think the shot is looking down a row of them that extends into the distance, on the left. There's a blue sky, it's in the middle of the day wherever this is set, very bright.

I want to say it's Donnie Darko, but I'm pretty sure I'm mixing up this with the shot of the movie screen growing a hole in it. Unless these pillars ARE in Donnie Darko and I just can't seem to find it?

A part of me wants to say this is some Outer Limits thing, but I think I'm conflating the rising ocean to that episode where the sun went supernova and it caused apocalyptic chaos on one side of the earth, while the other side was waiting for daytime for it to happen to them. One of the things that happened in that episode was the ocean rising considerably.

Also, rereading my post, I mentioned Donnie Darko, because part of me thinks he was watching this image at the movies when he went with Gretchen and Frank shows up. I really have to recheck that scene, I feel like I might've just solved it.

Edit: rewatched the theatre scene in Donnie Darko, it's not it. Maybe that shot is somewhere else in the movie, or maybe I'm thinking of another movie I must've seen around the same time. Vanilla Sky maybe?

Great, I've now reached the point where this post has made me feel weird enough about describing this strange shot, and I'm going to feel weird about asking about it until someone inevitably goes "oh, it's from <whatever movie>" and links to the scene so I'm, I don't know, vindicated or validated or something.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 14, 2024

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is a weird one, but the movie I'm thinking of has I think the main character mentally flash to a shot of a bunch of tall pillars standing in what's implied to be a lot of water, like a rising ocean or something. The flood wasn't the focus of it, and part of me wants to say these pillars looked like servers, though I don't necessarily remember any lights or buttons on them.

I think the shot is looking down a row of them that extends into the distance, on the left. There's a blue sky, it's in the middle of the day wherever this is set, very bright.

I want to say it's Donnie Darko, but I'm pretty sure I'm mixing up this with the shot of the movie screen growing a hole in it. Unless these pillars ARE in Donnie Darko and I just can't seem to find it?

A part of me wants to say this is some Outer Limits thing, but I think I'm conflating the rising ocean to that episode where the sun went supernova and it caused apocalyptic chaos on one side of the earth, while the other side was waiting for daytime for it to happen to them. One of the things that happened in that episode was the ocean rising considerably.

Also, rereading my post, I mentioned Donnie Darko, because part of me thinks he was watching this image at the movies when he went with Gretchen and Frank shows up. I really have to recheck that scene, I feel like I might've just solved it.

Edit: rewatched the theatre scene in Donnie Darko, it's not it. Maybe that shot is somewhere else in the movie, or maybe I'm thinking of another movie I must've seen around the same time. Vanilla Sky maybe?

In Donnie Darko, he's watching Evil Dead, so it's def not that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Haven’t seen it in forever but Vanilla Sky popped into my head before you said it so I’d check there

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

^^^^Thanks, I'll check there.

Origami Dali posted:

In Donnie Darko, he's watching Evil Dead, so it's def not that.

I know, but I thought it might've cut to that shot at one point, but no.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 14, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Found it!

Welp, I guess all it took was me writing it out. When I started the post, I wasn't even thinking of that movie, and then it entered my mind.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Even looking at that image I wouldn’t recognise it as Donnie Darko and I’ve seen the movie a bunch of times, not in a few years though so I need to watch it again.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Donnie darko from the donx

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
My dad has a movie question

Believes it to be a Paul Newman movie , set in the 20s-30s? , made in 70s?

Newman's father gets killed in a logging mill accident and is tied to a log with his arm raised up giving the middle finger to the logging camp

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think that's gotta be Sometimes A Great Notion, but I've only read the book

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Gotta be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sometimes_a_Great_Notion_(film)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Maybe not "identify a movie" but what's the jargon for stuff that actually happens in the world but actors don't do and it's like the obvious tell of an amateur? Like, "character wakes up, puts on slippers, put on robe, goes into kitchen" but like, a normal movie is just "character wakes up. Cut to: In kitchen, wearing slippers, pouring coffee" because we don't actually need to see all that? Or how no one says hello or goodbye on the phone?

I think it's something like "tying your shoes"? Don't remember where I heard it.

e: it's not 'business,' that's the thing where Sung Kang/Brad Pitt are always eating to give them something to do with their hands.

e, e: shoe leather, thanks!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 17, 2024

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Shrecknet posted:

Maybe not "identify a movie" but what's the jargon for stuff that actually happens in the world but actors don't do and it's like the obvious tell of an amateur? Like, "character wakes up, puts on slippers, put on robe, goes into kitchen" but like, a normal movie is just "character wakes up. Cut to: In kitchen, wearing slippers, pouring coffee" because we don't actually need to see all that? Or how no one says hello or goodbye on the phone?

I think it's something like "tying your shoes"? Don't remember where I heard it.

e: it's not 'business,' that's the thing where Sung Kang/Brad Pitt are always eating to give them something to do with their hands.

https://www.intheknow.com/post/say-goodbye-tv-phone-call-movies/

shoe leather

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The movie I'm trying to remember is probably a western, or something similar. The scene in question has someone of authority knocking his ring on a table to call the bartender over to pour a drink. However, he has lost his authority, and said bartender refuses - tells the judge (I think) that he needs a permit or pass.

I don't remember any specific actors in this. I want to say that the movie is The Jack Bull (1999), but only because I can't think of a better candidate.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I just rewatched Danny Boyle's Sunshine. There was some stuff I expected to see that I didn't see, and now I'm trying to remember what movie I'm mixing it up with.

I know it's not a lot to go on but the main thing I'm thinking of is a guy seeing a ghost of his dead wife/girlfriend on a long space voyage.

I'm almost certain it isn't Event Horizon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I just rewatched Danny Boyle's Sunshine. There was some stuff I expected to see that I didn't see, and now I'm trying to remember what movie I'm mixing it up with.

I know it's not a lot to go on but the main thing I'm thinking of is a guy seeing a ghost of his dead wife/girlfriend on a long space voyage.

I'm almost certain it isn't Event Horizon.

Solaris? There’s a 70s one and a 2000s (?) remake.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
^^^^
Edit: I will haunt you like the manifestations of a sentient planet! :argh:

The remake of Solaris?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvm7WMbXfeY

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

It could be that, though I definitely remember it more of a horror vibe. I can't tell from that goofy-rear end trailer. The time frame is right on the remake though.

Maybe it is Event Horizon but it doesn't feel right.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

did she have eyes?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Event Horizon/Solaris/Supernova one of those should be right

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Moon would be another in the lonely spaceman genre, but I only recall videologs in that, no ghosts.

EDIT: There were apparently hallucinations of a teen girl in that, but I have no recollection of that at all.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 23, 2024

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Shrecknet posted:

Maybe not "identify a movie" but what's the jargon for stuff that actually happens in the world but actors don't do and it's like the obvious tell of an amateur? Like, "character wakes up, puts on slippers, put on robe, goes into kitchen" but like, a normal movie is just "character wakes up. Cut to: In kitchen, wearing slippers, pouring coffee" because we don't actually need to see all that?

It's not because we don't need to see it, it's because you didn't get paid for product placement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5WgAubyhYw

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

Or how no one says hello or goodbye on the phone?

I can't remember which director said it, but apparently movies don't have characters saying "goodbye" on the phone because it causes a disconnect to audiences, especially when the scene isn't ending. Our brains are wired to want to change the subject/thought direction after we say goodbye on the phone and that disrupts the flow of a film.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Metaline posted:

I can't remember which director said it, but apparently movies don't have characters saying "goodbye" on the phone because it causes a disconnect to audiences, especially when the scene isn't ending. Our brains are wired to want to change the subject/thought direction after we say goodbye on the phone and that disrupts the flow of a film.

Sounds like something that was extensively researched by professionals and definitely not garbage pop psychology.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

everyone in movies ending facetime with "Like and subscribe"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ok I need youse guys help on this. A very low budget Japanese gore horror/action movie that got a DVD release in America. On the cover of the DVD there’s a woman in a skimpy ninja sort of outfit, but in the movie itself she’s always wearing a big heavy coat over the skimpy outfit. There are two other female characters, both of whom also wear big heavy coats over presumably equally skimpy outfits. It’s a very “it’s free to shoot in the woods” movie, with all the locations being either the woods or an abandoned warehouse in the woods. Which explains the coats, it looks pretty cold. The action and gore is mainly throwing buckets of blood and severed limbs around.

I thought it was called Ninja Princess or Yakuza Princess but neither of those bring up anything.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I was going to say, "What's Up Tiger Lily" until you got to the buckets of blood

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

Ok I need youse guys help on this. A very low budget Japanese gore horror/action movie that got a DVD release in America. On the cover of the DVD there’s a woman in a skimpy ninja sort of outfit, but in the movie itself she’s always wearing a big heavy coat over the skimpy outfit. There are two other female characters, both of whom also wear big heavy coats over presumably equally skimpy outfits. It’s a very “it’s free to shoot in the woods” movie, with all the locations being either the woods or an abandoned warehouse in the woods. Which explains the coats, it looks pretty cold. The action and gore is mainly throwing buckets of blood and severed limbs around.

I thought it was called Ninja Princess or Yakuza Princess but neither of those bring up anything.

there was at least one oneechanbara movie where she mostly wore a cloak over her bikini, maybe that. if not that, my suggestion would be probably just look at stuff Asami is in cuz she's in like a dozen movies called stuff kind of like that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Light Gun Man posted:

there was at least one oneechanbara movie where she mostly wore a cloak over her bikini, maybe that. if not that, my suggestion would be probably just look at stuff Asami is in cuz she's in like a dozen movies called stuff kind of like that.

Asami wasn't in it, but her IMDB page led me to Yoshihiro Nishimura's IMDB page, and he was makeup effects supervisor on the movie I was thinking of. Which it turns out is Samurai Princess. I should've guessed that.

but at least this did expose me to Asami's IMDB page, which is pretty fantastic.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
she's pretty entertaining most of the time, yeah. in a lot of wacky stuff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Metaline posted:

The term for this is "shoe leather," and it describes unnecessary ancillary connective dialogue / scenes (like, say, showing something mundane, like how a character gets from one place to another) that doesn't actually contribute anything.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

did it really take you that long to answer an answered question

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hey, sometimes you leave a tab open for… 4 whole rear end days?? Holy poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan Smithee posted:

did it really take you that long to answer an answered question

Do you ever get tired of being a snarky jackass?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I normally don't have this problem but I just got a flash of a relatively new movie that either ends or has a part where the protagonist attacks (I think) the president's cabin for reasons I can't remember and there's a scene where (again, I think) a high level member of government takes his daughter down into the bunker below the cabin with him but she realizes he's one of the bad guys and abandons him/leaves the bunker. I think he dies as a result but she survives?

Weird description and extra weird that I'm pretty sure this was a recent movie but for the life of me I can't remember any more of it. I'm more curious about what movie it is than I am about re-watching it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I normally don't have this problem but I just got a flash of a relatively new movie that either ends or has a part where the protagonist attacks (I think) the president's cabin for reasons I can't remember and there's a scene where (again, I think) a high level member of government takes his daughter down into the bunker below the cabin with him but she realizes he's one of the bad guys and abandons him/leaves the bunker. I think he dies as a result but she survives?

Weird description and extra weird that I'm pretty sure this was a recent movie but for the life of me I can't remember any more of it. I'm more curious about what movie it is than I am about re-watching it.

Olympus Has Fallen maybe?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

The cabin part makes me think of Shooter with Mark Wahlberg. I don't recall the daughter thing, but I've also never seen the whole thing. I've seen the final scene maybe 5 times; I think AMC kept playing it right before Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Thanks to the last two replies but it's neither of those. I actually thought they both might have been suggestions after I posted. Should have made an edit.

I'm quite sure the movie I'm thinking of (Or it's slightly possible it was a TV show, given how much I'm blanking) was made after those movies.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I think that's The Night Agent on Netflix. The vice president's daughter forces her way out of a bunker at Camp David.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

deety posted:

I think that's The Night Agent on Netflix. The vice president's daughter forces her way out of a bunker at Camp David.

I think you just nailed it. It was a TV show, my bad for bringing it here. I think I was so vague about it cause I half-watched it while drinking. Mystery solved, thanks.