Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

mlmp08 posted:

You are getting very close to agreeing with me. I’ve always been saying that carriers are not sailing around half or two thirds empty for lack of available aircraft, but that future capability and experimentation might lead to changes in how many of select new aircraft are put on carrier in the future, especially as the new class of carrier is fielded and gains experience. Until that experimentation pans out, carriers are cruising with full air wings now, with the exception of the experiment Atlantic-only “deployment” of the Ford in 2022, where it did testing and exercises.

You’re getting close to having read and understood enough to get that now, as opposed to where you started, thinking carriers were sailing around missing portions of their carrier air wing.

gently caress off.

The Oldest Man posted:

You don't understand. Right now, 60-70 is the Correct number of aircraft. In the future, perhaps 70-80 will once again become Correct. That has nothing to do with number of airframes or crews available or carrier operational deficiencies. It is simply an ineffable change in the nature of what is Correct.

Trabisnikof posted:

whatever they're doing is correct and best, always

I should have listened to you guys. I at least hope that the stuff I was posting was interesting to some people. In penance I'll be posting a funny article related to how the US will lose WW3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BearsBearsBears posted:

gently caress off.

I dunno, I think you learned a fair amount about how the evolution of the new carriers might go over the next several years. Big improvement over believing carriers are sailing around 1/3 empty.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i prefer to think of them as 2/3rds full

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Real hurthling! posted:

middle management tbi-havers?
give them the red bag of courage

lmao

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Al! posted:

youve gotta wonder how many silo doors simply fail to open because squirrels got at the mechanism

There was an old silo back home they decided to decommission and give it to the nearest school district (for some reason), but it quickly flooded and so the school district was stuck with a flooded silo they didn't know what to do with lol

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
here ya go kids, a giant flooded hole in the ground. comes with bonus asbestos.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySlippers posted:

There was an old silo back home they decided to decommission and give it to the nearest school district (for some reason), but it quickly flooded and so the school district was stuck with a flooded silo they didn't know what to do with lol

Chain the doors shut. Place a keep out sign. Sorted.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
time for the school district to get into the radium water business

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Al! posted:

youve gotta wonder how many silo doors simply fail to open because squirrels got at the mechanism

I think an important lesson here is that the criticality of systems does not, by itself, protect them from institutional rot. It's therefore important to engineer these systems with built-in incentives to promote the culture of excellence among those charged with maintaining them. Built in incentives won't protect critical systems forever, but it will significantly extend their lifespan under adverse institutional conditions.

E.g., put the nukes on a submarine that kills you in seconds if you don't maintain it right vs in a silo in flyover country that you can rip the copper wiring out of the walls to fund your meth habit

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

carriers are sailing around 1/3 empty

yeah obviously

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MadSparkle posted:

US running to China for help after insulting their president LOL

The amount of "face" lost is practically unimaginable.

It's like a street beggar pissing into your fancy new open topped luxury convertible right in front of you, then turning around with a palm out asking for money.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Like the numbers probably dont count the lifetime maintenance cost which will be astronomical given there are only 3 of them

didn’t that thing have some stupid warhammer railgun that used proprietary ammo that was immediately discontinued so it had to get scrapped and replaced with a conventional gun

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

it's such a funny conceit, on its face. why would china be interested in "chipping in" when the they know additional shipping costs will be passed down directly to the western consumer anyway

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FrancisFukyomama posted:

didn’t that thing have some stupid warhammer railgun that used proprietary ammo that was immediately discontinued so it had to get scrapped and replaced with a conventional gun

No, the railguns in warhammer actually worked

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

FrancisFukyomama posted:

yes but the weak aluminum frame couldnt handle a conventional gun either. sad!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Having a 6 inch gun that could only fire up was just loving incredible imo.

Naval guns are not a new technology. No innovation is required here. The best-case improvements were still only marginally and situationally better than a normal 6 inch gun, which has been, in American service, a mature technology since 1890.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Al! posted:

it's such a funny conceit, on its face. why would china be interested in "chipping in" when the they know additional shipping costs will be passed down directly to the western consumer anyway

Well Xi should gently caress with Biden and tell him "I Wechated with my comrade Anserallah, he said he will stop droning Israel ships if you publicly hold a Quran and silently smile for 3+ seconds on camera."

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 02:48 on Jan 25, 2024

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I would assume it takes a lot of proactive work to keep a 'just in case of nuclear war' system in readiness when they aren't ever called on to do anything. I'd guess silos were just a "don't get in trouble" cascade up and down the ranks.

Back during the cold war my brother was a radio operator at SAC HQ. He went through a lot of training, but his actual job was basically just checking in with the flights a couple of times during shift confirming we aren't at war. All the normal radio stuff was done by other crews they were just there for SAC readiness. So, he basically did nothing and the crew just sat around reading or (ironically) playing tetris on the non-SAC network computer. No one cared what they did as long as it didn't catch the notice of people higher up the chain so they were free to gently caress around. He later regretted leaving the AF instead of riding that easy job until they disbanded it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Having a 6 inch gun that could only fire up was just loving incredible imo.

Naval guns are not a new technology. No innovation is required here. The best-case improvements were still only marginally and situationally better than a normal 6 inch gun, which has been, in American service, a mature technology since 1890.

Hear me out. A monitor-class with a 6 inch gun that only fires up on a turret, but sunken into a pit in the deck. Absolutely nothing above the waterline.

Uh, please do not use in any sea state above zero. Or in the rain.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Al! posted:

the read to me is they're trying to also pin responsibility on China as if they had anything to do with the situation at all

the US could very well be trying to make their problem everyone else's problem as well

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Naval guns are not a new technology. No innovation is required here.

number demanded it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

yellowcar posted:

the read to me is they're trying to also pin responsibility on China as if they had anything to do with the situation at all

the US could very well be trying to make their problem everyone else's problem as well

Emphasis on trying.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Emphasis on trying.

yeah, the other thing about all of this is that in countries other than canada and mexico they don't have to pretend that biden is more than just a mumbly old puppet

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

if only US/UK/Israeli ships are getting attacked, why on earth would China want to risk anything to stop it?

the US would have to give China something of value in exchange for doing that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

if only US/UK/Israeli ships are getting attacked, why on earth would China want to risk anything to stop it?

If anything China and the rest of the world are directly benefiting from the situation continuing as long as possible.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Zodium posted:

president xi, my name is little joseph. i am eighty one years old. please send chengdu j-20 multi-role stealth fighter

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Honky Mao posted:

capital in the Twenty first century. Idk anything about and haven't read it but by name alone I will strongly recommend it

lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://x.com/AJArabic/status/1750260579028111569?s=20

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DancingShade posted:

If anything China and the rest of the world are directly benefiting from the situation continuing as long as possible.

anything that weakens the united states is, frankly, good for humanity

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Any additional details available yet regarding this claim?

If true, that's notable.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Any additional details available yet regarding this claim?

If true, that's notable.

nope!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ah well. Probably thought one of the cargo ships that got dinged was something else.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Yemen Yemen make us proud.
Run another ship aground.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Trabisnikof posted:

To the US ruling class "we don't want to start bombing random places in the Middle East" is impossible to understand

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
i think ww3 is already over lol

i think the wheels are actually beginning to fall off i don't think it can come back from this because the decades of western military Nazi myth influenced decisions and ideology ruined it
faster than It would have by doing the opposite of what's correct constantly fascism super wrecks your brain all forms of anticommunist ideology wreck your brain
fascism worst basically a state of total psychosis just rejecting all reality and trying to impose your own by force it will never work in the long run and it's why they always lose and army always sucks why ours sucks because they're fascist
along w/ regular capitalist inefficiency and mic theft is just too deep into tendency of mean rate of profit to fall I think

everything is shrinking and going to fall apart
the state cant afford mass labor like that anymore
nobody can i don't think, not unless it's really profitable, nobody has the credit for a war against China except China and I don't think they're going to give us that and owe them a lot of money and they can collect pretty soon whether we want them to or not

we can't fill factories and armies and not be overthrown lol sooner or later can't pay enough cops troops etc
the whole thing only worked if they could maintain the little 300 plane superfleet and never get touched, can't do a full scale war on a profit
it is doomed to fail at increasing scale because 1:1 workers and managers will never work as well at large numbers, soldiers wont fight as well etc. they're not capable

individualism idealogically blinds people and it wrecks your brain capitalism wrecks your brain you can't care as much, you'll never fight as hard never care as much you can't bc you're not invested right if you're thinking about yourself doing any kinda work well isn't ever about that

it's key to self expression however painting f. ex. acting, music, i think that's why Hitler Kanye etc they're all kinda fake narcissists who appeal to that type and it's an innately dangerous type when pointed that direction, i think you can point those kind of people and the people they appeal to in just about any direction if you appeal to them, they respond to really obnoxious performative poo poo not substance at all but they are doomed every time bc of that, they think they're already the best they'll never make sure they are

that whole line of selfish individualistic thinking is also necessary to capitalize, on anything you can't do it otherwise, but its poison to doing things efficiently

i think that's why china is so successful & i don't think it can be stopped please fire when ready president xi

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 08:06 on Jan 25, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Please punctuate. Please.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Slavvy posted:

Please punctuate. Please.

i will

Al!
Apr 2, 2010