Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Mahomes likability has evaporated with every camera cut to his exasperated reactions that have all the petulant energy of a six year old being told to pick up their toys, the dissonance of likeability is taking care itself at this rate

Reid still feels like a real human being you wouldn't mind spending 10 minutes around, which is really saying something on the spectrum of NFL coach personalities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Oh no not the dissonance of likability ..

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I like Reid.

I like Mahomes too. I just wish he played for an nfc team

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Mahomes's psychopathic competitiveness during games is far more endearing than his squeaky endorsement-laden off-the-field disposition

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
When I see Mahomes complaining 90% of me thinks he’s just doing everything he can for his team. Like if there’s a chance complaining gets you a first down, why not try? I don’t think he actually cares about the stuff he’s complaining about as much as it looks like. His press conference whining about that offsides penalty fuels the remaining 10% of my belief that he is just whiny.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Pron on VHS posted:

Don't snark me, that's upsetting

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Pron on VHS posted:

It wouldn't be half the subject it is if Chiefs fans could just accept the uptick of pissy moments on the field are gonna draw ire

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
It's fine to not like a guy for being the best and stomping your team but lol the twists and turns some people go to try to justify it like it's not just dude kills you

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ort posted:

When I see Mahomes complaining 90% of me thinks he’s just doing everything he can for his team. Like if there’s a chance complaining gets you a first down, why not try? I don’t think he actually cares about the stuff he’s complaining about as much as it looks like. His press conference whining about that offsides penalty fuels the remaining 10% of my belief that he is just whiny.

If your QB isn't begging for a flag after every hit then wtf is he even doing?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I think Mahomes is funny and charming in his commercials but the whining on the field is not charming (it is funny). That is my hot take.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He's awful in commercials. Not annoying per say, just a really terrible actor. And he never makes fun of himself. So it's not particular endearing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

He's awful in commercials. Not annoying per say, just a really terrible actor. And he never makes fun of himself. So it's not particular endearing.

"Never makes fun of himself" he's literally in State Farm commercials how much more of a joke do you need

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I don't think being self-deprecating is necessarily needed here since he's not trying to get into your pants

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

The337th posted:

It wouldn't be half the subject it is if Chiefs fans could just accept the uptick of pissy moments on the field are gonna draw ire

Watching a pro athlete cry to a ref has never angered me. Not trying to act cool or above it all I do get irritated while watching sports but this hasn’t been it. True when Mahomes does it, same for Brady, Rivers, Lebron etc.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Actually no, I did get mad when Mecole stopped running his route to complain about PI.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Pron on VHS posted:

Watching a pro athlete cry to a ref has never angered me. Not trying to act cool or above it all I do get irritated while watching sports but this hasn’t been it. True when Mahomes does it, same for Brady, Rivers, Lebron etc.

Lebron does not cry to the refs. He is a magical unicorn and just emotes in a different way than us mortals.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Metapod posted:

It's fine to not like a guy for being the best and stomping your team but lol the twists and turns some people go to try to justify it like it's not just dude kills you

I can't recall any past grief for Mahomes itt, outside of him being disgustingly good at owning the division, until the extremely forced fake underdog narrative around the last SB win happened, and this season's focus on Pat being demonstrably cranky on the field.

It's not even his fault, at least on the part that the cameras now absolutely love to catch every single reaction he has to his bad receivers and relatively struggling offense, but no one's gonna skip a chance to mock the whiny energy surrounding the current dynasty franchise when the figurehead is making silly little mad faces all the time and caps it off with a big ol' messy outburst and a laughable presser to boot.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mahomes was "endearing" until this season. People were raggin on his wife because they were looking for a reason.

I think it's funny. I hated Elway and Rivers too for reasons I invented because I actually just hate losing

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

The337th posted:

Mahomes likability has evaporated with every camera cut to his exasperated reactions that have all the petulant energy of a six year old being told to pick up their toys, the dissonance of likeability is taking care itself at this rate

Reid still feels like a real human being you wouldn't mind spending 10 minutes around, which is really saying something on the spectrum of NFL coach personalities

This right here

I've always respected Mahomes and his insane skills at QB because he's literally a generational talent and hasn't done any terrible poo poo off the field to my knowledge. His rocket while 2 inches from the ground in a horizontal position during the Superbowl sold me on just how amazing he is. With that said, his oversaturation in those terrible commercials and his crybaby bullshit is just too much anymore.

Reid has always been pretty cool in my book and it's very conflicting because he usually kicks the poo poo out of my team.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

i don't pay any attention to commercials during games and very little to off the field stuff, i hate mahomes for the correct reason:

kiimo posted:

I actually just hate losing

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

kiimo posted:

Mahomes was "endearing" until this season. People were raggin on his wife because they were looking for a reason.

I think it's funny. I hated Elway and Rivers too for reasons I invented because I actually just hate losing

Rivers wasn't even .500 against the Chiefs, must've been rough

I think Rivers was just fine as a division rival goes, despite him having a solid winning record over the Raiders, one that easily surpasses Elway v. Chiefs too

Mahomes' record against the division is so comically dominant that it just makes it funnier to see this projection, based off of an experience with QBs who just did mid to pretty okay by comparison

a dude can be an unbelievably good QB and people can still be right that he's been a big dorky baby in recent times

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The337th posted:

Rivers wasn't even .500 against the Chiefs, must've been rough

I think Rivers was just fine as a division rival goes, despite him having a solid winning record over the Raiders, one that easily surpasses Elway v. Chiefs too

Mahomes' record against the division is so comically dominant that it just makes it funnier to see this projection, based off of an experience with QBs who just did mid to pretty okay by comparison

a dude can be an unbelievably good QB and people can still be right that he's been a big dorky baby in recent times

Rivers owned the Chiefs from 2006 until 2014.

After 2014 he won one game vs the Chiefs until he retired.

Very weird.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Andy Reid became HC

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

a neat cape posted:

Rivers owned the Chiefs from 2006 until 2014.

After 2014 he won one game vs the Chiefs until he retired.

Very weird.

taking the final tally is a cherry pick in that way, obviously

still a silly contrast vs. Mahomes, but if the Raiders somehow rally to put him under .500 against them for his career in the end, I'll happily retract that one

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Harbaugh will surely rescue the Chargers from Andy's reign of terror

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

Andy Reid became HC

He swept Andy his first year in KC, then only ever won again in the 2018 walkoff 2pt conversion game.

I think Rivers always said KC was his favorite away venue to play in.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

a neat cape posted:

He swept Andy his first year in KC, then only ever won again in the 2018 walkoff 2pt conversion game.

I think Rivers always said KC was his favorite away venue to play in.

I imagine he loathed Oakland for a thousand reasons

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

I imagine he loathed Oakland for a thousand reasons

I think he liked any stadium that would yell at him because he liked yelling back.

I miss him

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Rivers was a really good heel. We used to talk so much poo poo about him. It's so hard with Herbie because of his lil cutie dolls and his wavy locks.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

He was a fantastic villain for sure. Mahomes is just too skilled and dorky for that kind of heat.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There it is. A Harbaugh has entered the chat

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

I'm interested in seeing how the Chargers fail this year considering they always win the off-season championship. Can Harbaugh break the curse that even Rivers/LdT/Gates couldn't overcome?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

I'm interested in seeing how the Chargers fail this year considering they always win the off-season championship. Can Harbaugh break the curse that even Rivers/LdT/Gates couldn't overcome?

What's your definition of failing? Because 2024 is gonna be not great no matter who the coach ended up being

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

AFC West is officially the most dangerous division once again :clint:

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

a neat cape posted:

What's your definition of failing? Because 2024 is gonna be not great no matter who the coach ended up being

Not getting to the playoffs or not doing anything worth a poo poo if you get there like usual

I mean, having a top 5-ish QB it should be expected that you do something in the playoffs

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

3 DONG HORSE posted:

AFC West is officially the most dangerous division once again :clint:

Don't people say that every year

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

a neat cape posted:

I think you doubt Jims powers

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

Not getting to the playoffs or not doing anything worth a poo poo if you get there like usual

I mean, having a top 5-ish QB it should be expected that you do something in the playoffs

I guess be prepared to crow in 2024 then? Because it's gonna take a year to dig out of the hole Staley and Telesco left.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Chiefs' receiver situation reminds me of the Nuggets' bench last May. The Nugs had a lot of really bad bench performances from guys like Zeke Nnaji and Thomas Bryant during the regular season, and the on/off stats for Jokic were absurd. Then they went to the playoffs and all of a sudden the bench minutes were good, and the announcers didn't really get it at first. It wasn't because those guys magically got better - they just stopped playing the players that couldn't hack it. The bench became 3 guys. The Chiefs' solution to Kadarius Toney dropping passes is to not throw the ball to Kadarius Toney. Hardman and MVS had what, two touches each? The results were...mixed, but it wasn't a lot of plays. In the regular season you're still hoping to develop your roster, but in the postseason? Sorry guys.

I suspect this worked better against Buffalo's backup linebackers than it will against the Ravens, but I still think we'll see Rashee Rice and a bunch of tight ends and running backs for the most part.

Congrats on having a proven coach, Ross. Watching Harbaugh interact with the rest of that organization will be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

I guess be prepared to crow in 2024 then? Because it's gonna take a year to dig out of the hole Staley and Telesco left.

I wouldn't say it's a foregone conclusion. Yes, the hole is pretty fuckin deep and the team's going to be losing some star players, but coming out of the college ranks, Harbaugh and whoever he brings with him are gonna know a lot of players going into this draft. There's a real shot they just nail this coming draft and go from there.

Wait.

Is this hope I'm feeling? gently caress, I think I'm already high on it. Take my keys please.