Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hell yeah we hit the confederate statues arc of the Neocon Anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Yeah, I was referring to land tax.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The colony will fall is some Bioware tier environmental storytelling.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
(Paragon) Drink Beer
(Renegade) The Colony will fall.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Oh whoops so you did, sorry. I'm still interested in the specifics of the logistics and feasibility, but fair enough, I'll take that, no news is good news I guess.

To be blunt I don't have the mental bandwidth to think about those things unless it comes with a cheque, and even then most of that money would go into hard liquor at the prospect of delivering something that ambitious within the current environment.

Lets just loving carpet bomb Sydney into rubble and start again I say.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SecretOfSteel posted:

Jesus, on my Facebook feed I had boomers defiantly posturing that it will always be "Ayers Rock" despite the Uluru name change which happened, what, 30 years ago? My fault for logging onto Facebook.

Truly, the real victims in all of this are the innocent mining magnates/bankers such as Henry Ayers whose legacy has been cruelly snatched away

Why can't those mean indigenous peoples just leave the mining magnates alone :(

Also they never stopped calling it Ayers Rock, it's been officially "dual named" since 1993

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Look at that beard

Goony as gently caress

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Recoome posted:

As if this makes up for it.

You need to learn to take joy in the little things

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
I've had it up to here with LNP shills complaining that Labor lied and they're going to get slightly less money then they were going to get, acting like Albo is personally picking their pocket. And I've asked a few of them what they'd even do with that money and their answer was 'put it on my investment property'.

Seriously. Labor just needs to go on the attack with this one, sitting back and being called liars is a stupid strategy. Call these people out for what they are, loving leeches.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Konomex posted:

Seriously. Labor just needs to go on the attack with this one, sitting back and being called liars is a stupid strategy. Call these people out for what they are, loving leeches.

you're right but given they are entrenched in the lower-upper class that they would be calling out I assume they are terrified of being called out for it and having their workers party credibility shattered (yes yes I know "what credibility")

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Struggling to find the evidence for Labor strategy of sitting back being called liars.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

God as I type that ablo gives some stupid meandering answer to whether he lied. Just loving say "no I didn't lie, I made stage 3 better, it's great now, next question".

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

SecretOfSteel posted:

...Also Melbourne is now the best capital city.

It sucks that Cook has become the avatar of colonialism.

He was a boat driver who's boss asked him to take a bunch of scientists to Tahiti to watch the transit of Venus, to work out how big the solar system is. That's literally what he signed up for.

Who commissioned that journey? It wasn't the Crown, and it wasn't the Navy. It was the Royal Society. The dudes who were like, let's do science to figure out how the world works. It was fundamentally a mission of curiosity, not conquest.

Obviously they had to ask the Crown for a ship, and the crown had to ask the Navy to take them. And so the Navy asked Cook. He was farm-boy who loved sailing and making maps. He said ok, and successfully piloted a wooden ship with no electronics all the way around to hit a tiny island in the middle of the ocean on his first try. His first instructions to the crew were to not disturb so much as a single tree without the blessing of the natives. He was no Cortez or Columbus.

The navy put a secret envelope on the ship and told him to only open it after he'd finished in Tahiti, and it said "cool now sail around the southern ocean and see what you can find."

When he said the ~magic words~ while off the north coast, he could not have forseen what was to come. There were no goods or spices, and it wasn't on any of the trade routes. The Dutch had "claimed" it for over century, and done nothing with it, despite already having a massive shipping operation just to the north. Spain and Portugal never even bothered. And for the next 20 years, he was right. He gets back (after being the first captain to beat scurvy), says "yep, found the east coast of New Holland boss", and nothing happened. It wasn't until America had a revolution and England needed somewhere to send their convicts, and Banks said "how about Botany Bay", that they decided to come back down. I don't think that's something we can reasonably expect someone to have foreseen. And it would have happened regardless of if he said the words or not. The chain of colonialism is long, and crucifying him for failing to single-handedly stop it is unfair.

His journal says "They are far more happier than we Europeans; being wholly unacquainted not only with the superfluous but the necessary Conveniences so much sought after in Europe, they are happy in not knowing the use of them. They live in a Tranquility which is not disturb’d by the Inequality of Condition: The Earth and sea of their own accord furnishes them with all things necessary for life, they covet not Magnificent Houses, Household-stuff, they live in a warm and fine Climate and enjoy a very wholesome Air".

That first meeting of the two cultures is a monumental moment in the history of not just this land, but the world. And I think the nature of it matters. Cook wasn't there as a conqueror. He was responsible for a ship full of astronomers and botanists who'd been at sea for four weeks at that point- three on the open ocean and another one following the coast. In literal uncharted territory, with a long way to get home. They needed to stop for some water to fill the tanks. The impulse to explore is a vital part of our species, and I don't think we can hold that against anyone. It is so often inextricably entwined with imperialism that it can be easy to conflate the two, and we're worse off if we do.

gently caress the colony, and gently caress the invasion, but don't blame Cook for it.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Konomex posted:

I've had it up to here with LNP shills complaining that Labor lied and they're going to get slightly less money then they were going to get, acting like Albo is personally picking their pocket. And I've asked a few of them what they'd even do with that money and their answer was 'put it on my investment property'.

I heard a sound bite on the radio the other day of the head of the Business Council saying that this marked the death of tax reform in Australia. But if Labor (or heaven forbid, The Greens) came out and called that statement the hyperbolic bullshit it is they would be crucified for being uncivil or whatever.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Konomex posted:

Also the Labor shills who were saying that the tax cuts should never be changed as it'll be a broken promise 3 days ago and labor must be perfect in reason and now have change the words saying they they always supported changing them.
Prob also the same laborites that always whine about CPRS and Greens are the Devil

ssmagus fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 25, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

[...]
His first instructions to the crew were to not disturb so much as a single tree without the blessing of the natives. He was no Cortez or Columbus.
[...]
That first meeting of the two cultures is a monumental moment in the history of not just this land, but the world. And I think the nature of it matters. Cook wasn't there as a conqueror.

He wrote in his diary that he personally took up a gun and shot & wounded a native dude "who seemd resolved to oppose our landing" before his boat even reached the shore

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He wrote in his diary that he personally took up a gun and shot & wounded a native dude "who seemd resolved to oppose our landing" before his boat even reached the shore

Yeah, they were being threatened with loaded woomeras. He ordered some warning shots, and when they didn't work, he took responsibility and managed to get everyone through it without any loss of life. I don't think we should crucify him for that either.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He forgot to note, because it would have seemed self evident to him at the time, that the musket ball was filled with tiny astronomers and botanists.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

gently caress the colony, and gently caress the invasion, but don't blame Cook for it.

kidnapping hawaiian kings after overstaying their welcome is pretty 'farmboy' i gotta say.

and just enjoyed making maps of all the places he plundered for the crown

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

he was far from the worst wrt blame for colonization of australia but he was still a part of that and most importantly, to white people he is the godhead of our understanding of the history of australian colonization bc our education system sucks poo poo so of course he's the focal point of anti colonial protest

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
they should put up statues of real aussie heroes like don bradman instead of brits like captain cook

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Laserface posted:

kidnapping hawaiian kings after overstaying their welcome is pretty 'farmboy' i gotta say.

and just enjoyed making maps of all the places he plundered for the crown

The third voyage was an entirely different kettle of fish. He'd been dragged out of retirement, given a lovely ship and an impossible task, acted like an rear end in a top hat, and got what he deserved.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Being a brave explorer would have owned until woke came in

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

He was a boat driver who's boss asked him to take a bunch of scientists to Tahiti to watch the transit of Venus, to work out how big the solar system is. That's literally what he signed up for.

Who commissioned that journey? It wasn't the Crown, and it wasn't the Navy. It was the Royal Society. The dudes who were like, let's do science to figure out how the world works. It was fundamentally a mission of curiosity, not conquest.

Obviously they had to ask the Crown for a ship, and the crown had to ask the Navy to take them. And so the Navy asked Cook. He was farm-boy who loved sailing and making maps. He said ok, and successfully piloted a wooden ship with no electronics all the way around to hit a tiny island in the middle of the ocean on his first try. His first instructions to the crew were to not disturb so much as a single tree without the blessing of the natives. He was no Cortez or Columbus.

The navy put a secret envelope on the ship and told him to only open it after he'd finished in Tahiti, and it said "cool now sail around the southern ocean and see what you can find."

When he said the ~magic words~ while off the north coast, he could not have forseen what was to come. There were no goods or spices, and it wasn't on any of the trade routes. The Dutch had "claimed" it for over century, and done nothing with it, despite already having a massive shipping operation just to the north. Spain and Portugal never even bothered. And for the next 20 years, he was right. He gets back (after being the first captain to beat scurvy), says "yep, found the east coast of New Holland boss", and nothing happened. It wasn't until America had a revolution and England needed somewhere to send their convicts, and Banks said "how about Botany Bay", that they decided to come back down. I don't think that's something we can reasonably expect someone to have foreseen. And it would have happened regardless of if he said the words or not. The chain of colonialism is long, and crucifying him for failing to single-handedly stop it is unfair.

His journal says "They are far more happier than we Europeans; being wholly unacquainted not only with the superfluous but the necessary Conveniences so much sought after in Europe, they are happy in not knowing the use of them. They live in a Tranquility which is not disturb’d by the Inequality of Condition: The Earth and sea of their own accord furnishes them with all things necessary for life, they covet not Magnificent Houses, Household-stuff, they live in a warm and fine Climate and enjoy a very wholesome Air".

That first meeting of the two cultures is a monumental moment in the history of not just this land, but the world. And I think the nature of it matters. Cook wasn't there as a conqueror. He was responsible for a ship full of astronomers and botanists who'd been at sea for four weeks at that point- three on the open ocean and another one following the coast. In literal uncharted territory, with a long way to get home. They needed to stop for some water to fill the tanks. The impulse to explore is a vital part of our species, and I don't think we can hold that against anyone. It is so often inextricably entwined with imperialism that it can be easy to conflate the two, and we're worse off if we do.

Fuckin nerd

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

JBP posted:

God as I type that ablo gives some stupid meandering answer to whether he lied. Just loving say "no I didn't lie, I made stage 3 better, it's great now, next question".

See. Labor just needs to appoint some minister to act like an attack dog for them. Oh no, Minister fuckface is being rude to journo's again. Blah blah blah, decorum. Aussie's would love it the same way they loved Abbott being a total fuckface for several years in opposition.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

dutton is alluding to julia gillard-like leadership instability :thunk:

e: lmao albo is being mislead into mistakes by charmers like bill shorten

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

lih posted:

they should put up statues of real aussie heroes like don bradman instead of brits like captain cook

Don Bradman was a peice of poo poo.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
*boat rocks up to australia*

*shoots at the natives*

they live such peaceful and idyllic lives

*shoots more natives*

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Wish they'd exterminate your posting

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

The Artificial Kid posted:

Yeah, I was referring to land tax.
Which, acounting for inflation, is Amanda Vanstone's GST sandwich and milkshake.

GoldStandardConure posted:

*boat rocks up to australia*

*shoots at the natives*

they live such peaceful and idyllic lives

*shoots more natives*
Lies! Oh wait...

quote:

Six meetings between Endeavour’s crew and the Guugu Yimithirr took place with one visit ending in an altercation after Cook refused to share the turtles found on the Endeavour, with the local inhabitants.

They were chased away after twice setting fire to Cook’s camp, burning all around the camp and killing a suckling pig.

Cook wounded one man with musket shot and followed the group until he caught up with them on a rocky bar near the end of Furneaux Street, now known as Reconciliation Rocks.

https://www.cooktownandcapeyork.com/do/history/cookslanding

And please help us fix out boat tyvm.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Wish they'd exterminate your posting

same

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Pleasant Friend posted:

its fine we can just cut down his statues too

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
just erect a bunch of plinths with bronze ankles on them and let people fill in the rest with their imaginations

feet can't be problematic. can't cancel these tootsies

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pleasant Friend posted:

You made me read his Wikipedia page
He seems like he was an aloof weirdo but he went against the cricketing establishment to recommend against playing apartheid South Africa. :shrug:

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 25, 2024

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

"I'm a Labor voter but now that they've broken a promise on tax cuts I won't vote for them"

I guarantee anyone that says this never had any intention of voting for ALP

It's a vast improvement on the existing stage 3 cuts, the only thing is that the whole package still takes a massive bite out of revenue.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Mola Yam posted:

just erect a bunch of plinths with bronze ankles on them and let people fill in the rest with their imaginations

feet can't be problematic. can't cancel these tootsies

this is how you get tarantinos

do you want tarantinos?

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

You made me read his Wikipedia page
He seems like he was an aloof weirdo but he went against the cricketing establishment to recommend against playing apartheid South Africa. :shrug:

My parents were friends with the caretakers of his disabled daughter he threw into a asylum. He'd only visit her once every few months for about ten minutes and by all accounts was a real nasty bloke in real life.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pleasant Friend posted:

My parents were friends with the caretakers of his disabled daughter he threw into a asylum. He'd only visit her once every few months for about ten minutes and by all accounts was a real nasty bloke in real life.

Well there you go, sounds like a dickhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Warnie statue when?